• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Anti-Chinese and Anti-Korean sentiment in Japan is absolutely racist though. So is discrimination and oppression against specific ethnic groups (usually non-Han) in China.

It's possible. I'm less familiar for the basis of such views. (Racial vs cultural supremacy). In Korea for example, the Japanese sought to erase korean culture, which speaks more to the latter than the former. (Like I said though, I'd need to do more research here)

That's definitely not the same example as was previously given for anti Japanese sentiment in China.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'm using the words to distinguish the concepts.
It's not just a semantics argument.

When the word racism is used to describe not racism, it's frequently used to white wash racism.

That's the problem.

Racism used incorrectly is in fact PART of the infrastructure of white supremacy.

How's that for a take?

I agree with you about most of what you've said. I just think that arguing that the established definition isn't generally viewed as simply being prejudice/bigotry is strategically unlikely to work, since the far more common definition is the one you want to challenge. I'm not sure why you want to fight with me.

And I'm not sure what this whole "How's that for a take?" shit is about, but that comes across as some pathetic keyboard warrior shit that just makes you look like a miserable person.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Plenty of non-white races have systemic power dynamics of racism over other races in many countries in the world. That's racism.
Actually, that's my bad, my thinking always just defaults to the US, I can't speak to the dynamics in other countries. I don't know if OP is talking about the US or somewhere else.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The problem is that "we can all be racists" usually falls in line with "all lives matters". That is it's used to white wash and soften actual racism
That is why I wrote a paragraph explicitly stating that personal prejudice racism is in no way equivalent to systemic racism, and that is what should be the focus as opposed to semantics.

I live in Appalachia, and am surrounded by people, even well-intentioned people, to whom attitudes like the one you've displayed in this thread are nothing but jarring, aggressive, and demeaning. I have an obligation as a white man in (and from) this area to do my best to give these folks perspective to understand the complexities behind these dynamics so they understand why "all lives matter" is a bullshit statement. Do you think that would be better served by expounding upon different levels of racism, showing how they are not equivalent, or just saying "dictionary definitions are bullshit my definition that you've never encountered that I learned in those colleges you are taught to distrust is the only definition"?

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-Chinese and Anti-Korean sentiment in Japan is absolutely racist though. So is discrimination and oppression against specific ethnic groups (usually non-Han) in China.
Huh? No. Racism, as we know it, is a very white supremacist concept that doesn't really apply to intra-Asian prejudice. You could even go as far to say that the Japanese superiority complex is white supremacist at it's core due to colonialism when it was the West that backed Japan when it raped Asia.

If a black man attacks an arab man because of its skin color this is racist attack, there is absolutely 0 other definition to have here. Hatred against a race IS racism no matter how you spin it.
Have you considered that the reason a black man would attack an arab man might be because of white supremacy?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree with you about most of what you've said. I just think that arguing that the established definition isn't generally viewed as simply being prejudice/bigotry is strategically unlikely to work, since the far more common definition is the one you want to challenge. I'm not sure why you want to fight with me.

And I'm not sure what this whole "How's that for a take?" shit is about, but that comes across as some pathetic keyboard warrior shit that just makes you look like a miserable person.

I was just having some fun ;(

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible. I'm less familiar for the basis of such views. (Racial vs cultural supremacy). In Korea for example, the Japanese sought to erase korean culture, which speaks more to the latter than the former. (Like I said though, I'd need to do more research here)

That's definitely not the same example as was previously given for anti Japanese sentiment in China.
I know it's the reverse of the example, but it's still systemic racism in a non-white country. Any form racism has both racial and cultural supremacy components, one is used to justify the other.
Actually, that's my bad, my thinking always just defaults to the US, I can't speak to the dynamics in other countries. I don't know if OP is talking about the US or somewhere else.
It doesn't really matter given the subject at hand, the existence of non-white systemic racism negates the idea that POC can't be racist. POC can also be racist in the US, particularly when one race enjoys a level of priviledge over that of another. Like Asians living in the US who hate black people are fucking racist.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If a black man attacks an arab man because of its skin color this is racist attack, there is absolutely 0 other definition to have here. Hatred against a race IS racism no matter how you spin it.
Are we talking completely devoid of the culture that has made it that way that is the result of the country white people have had the majority control over since we took it from the Native Americans?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
My older sister honestly believes women don't deserve to make the same amount of money as men, and that she doesn't believe in feminism.... So yeah, women can be sexist.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I know it's the reverse of the example, but it's still systemic racism in a non-white country. Any form racism has both racial and cultural supremacy components, one is used to justify the other.

It doesn't really matter given the subject at hand, the existence of non-white systemic racism negates the idea that POC can't be racist. POC can also be racist in the US, particularly when one race enjoys a level of priviledge over that of another. Like Asians living in the US who hate black people are fucking racist.

Yes

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? No. Racism, as we know it, is a very white supremacist concept that doesn't really apply to intra-Asian prejudice. You could even go as far to say that the Japanese superiority complex is white supremacist at it's core due to colonialism when it was the West that backed Japan when it raped Asia.

Have you considered that the reason a black man would attack an arab man might be because of white supremacy?
It absolutely does apply to intra-Asian prejudice, because Japan has had a sense of racial and cultural superiority to Chinese and Korean culture long before they had contact with Europeans. Same for ethnic prejudice that exists inside of China.

Japan did not import the oppression of Chinese and Koreans from white people. Or hell, the Ainu.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
we've talked about the word racism once again, but how does everyone feel about the sexism portion of the OP?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we've talked about the word racism once again, but how does everyone feel about the sexism portion of the OP?
Women engage in internalized sexism all the time. Any sort of slut-shaming, victim-blaming, and anti-feminist rhetoric from women is sexism.

Also there are a few areas in which men do experience systemic sexism, such as when men are victims of sexual assault. Expecting that a man should be able to prevent his own assault because he male, or believing that men are incapable of being victims of rape are examples of institutionalized sexism.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Let me help you with this one: Eduardo Bonilla-Silva

Your post is loaded. "Checking privilege" isn't the issue; it's about knowing the limits of your knowledge on a subject.
Most of the man's published work is in English. I actually can't find any examples of him speaking to an audience in Puerto Rico, or participating in academic circles within Puerto Rico. Surely you see the irony in trying to lecture me on Puerto Rican scholarship by referring me to someone who does not even speak to a Puerto Rican audience as island-side Puerto Ricans understand it...

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely does apply to intra-Asian prejudice, because Japan has had a sense of racial and cultural superiority to Chinese and Korean culture long before they had contact with Europeans. Same for ethnic prejudice that exists inside of China.
You can't just shoehorn "racism" into inter-ethnic conflicts when the social construct of "race" is based on white supremacy. Regardless, that's a really weird statement to make anyways when Japan is VERY influenced by China. How much history do you actually know about Asia because you're making some bold assed statements?

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because when we talk about homophobia we say a closeted gay man can be homophobic (ie they have internalized homophobia). But when it comes to race people tend to disagree if you say a black person can be racist. (Is internalized racism not a thing?)

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Women engage in internalized sexism all the time. Any sort of slut-shaming, victim-blaming, and anti-feminist rhetoric from women is sexism.

i was more talking about the part in the OP that mentions not being sexist against men

EDIT: i see ur update

it seems like you don't think women can be sexist against men on a personal level?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't just shoehorn "racism" into inter-ethnic conflicts when the social construct of "race" is based on white supremacy. Regardless, that's a really weird statement to make anyways when Japan is VERY influenced by China. How much history do you actually know about Asia because you're making some bold assed statements?
Yes I'm well aware that Japan is very influenced by China, that in no way negates Japanese racist attitudes towards the Chinese. US culture is very influenced by African american culture, that doesn't negate US racism against black people. Again, there is also the Ainu people.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
As already stated your partner is wrong.

Being prejudiced and stereotyping about POC can be done anyone, including POC. The same can be done of women by women. That applies to all groups.

On a related note you can see how these days the rejection of this fact is being weaponized by conservatives. If Jews can't be anti-Semitic, women can't be sexist and black people cant be racist, then anti-Semitic, sexist and racist claims by conservatives who belong to those groups must have some legitimacy.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i was more talking about the part in the OP that mentions not being sexist against men

EDIT: i see ur update
Just to elaborate on that, institutions like the FBI excluded men from the legal definition of rape until 2012. It doesn't much more 'institutional sexism' than that. And plenty of women don't think men can be sexually assaulted. That's sexism against men by women.

Obviously the ways in which men can possibly experience sexism are extremely limited compared to the ways women experience sexism, which are incredibly broad and in almost every facet of our society. But it does exist.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the man's published work is in English. I actually can't find any examples of him speaking to an audience in Puerto Rico, or participating in academic circles within Puerto Rico. Surely you see the irony in trying to lecture me on Puerto Rican scholarship by referring me to someone who does not even speak to a Puerto Rican audience as island-side Puerto Ricans understand it...
Uhhh...if you don't know about critical race theory, what makes you think you're qualified to even speak to his credentials?

Yes I'm well aware that Japan is very influenced by China, that in no way negates Japanese racist attitudes towards the Chinese. US culture is very influenced by African american culture, that doesn't negate US racism against black people. Again, there is also the Ainu people.
Those two examples are completely different and you're not supporting your argument by repeating that the Japanese are "racist" against other Asians. Compare and contrast...show your work. Again, you're not demonstrating that you know a whole lot about the history of Asia, so maybe you shouldn't be making these types of arguments if they're based on weak premises.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
This thread invites generalizations on the basis of race and gender, and has not produced any worthwhile discussion as a result, so we have decided to lock it. We will be reviewing the posts made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.