• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Once the dust has settled on death stranding and Konami x Kojima feud is a decade in the past could the above ever realistically happen?
Or is it as unlikely as getting a Sakaguchi penned mainline Final Fantasy?

Of course the franchise has almost had all the closure it needs. But it's still sad knowing he may never be able to work on this IP again. Or that we may never get another proper MGS game again. MGS4 spoiler --
Also Solid Snake is kind of not dead yet.
--

I wonder if Konami would ever consider selling the MGS IP?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It already happened in another universe and it's one of the best game ever made. I've seen it and it's unbelievable.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Never. That pain is too much, the way he was treated and how he kinda mishandling production on V, neither party probably wants to collaborate again.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The only way for that to happen is Shenmue, Bayonetta situation where other publisher is licensing the ip from Konami. So in this case, maybe if Sony is willing to pay for both licensing fee and development fee.

Konami is never going to spent AAA budget on MGS again I think.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Kojima would accept even if Konami offered him the chance. He's been trying to get away from MGS and do something new since MGS1 and he's finally gotten the chance to do it.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS 5 filled in the last gap of the Big Boss/Solid Snake story. It's over, and that's okay.

Let Kojima make something else.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe in the event Konami goes kaput and they are absorbed into the ever expanding clutches of the corpse mound of publishers and IPs that is THQ Nordic.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Konami should sell the IP. Their most recent attempt at milking the franchise was garbage. I don't know how it did commercially, but it was garbage.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I feel like both Konami and Kojima are done with the series at this point. If mgs does come back, it won't have any involvement from Kojima

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
Unlikely. We won't even see ports or remakes.

The remakes we'll never see, the masterpieces we'll never play, it's like konami turned all of them into Pachinko Machines!

You feel it too don't you?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, never.

He has wanted to move on from MGS for a very long time, there is no way he will go back to it.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If Konami sold the IP we could at least see some Remakes/Remasters. The likelyhood of that scenario is anyones guess though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
He's wanted to move on for years and the way he split with the company wasn't exactly amicable.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Plus he seems like he's 100% done with it. Death Stranding is his new love child with Sony.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Given enough time and money all wounds can be healed.

It's very unlikely any time soon unless konami die or sell the IP. But I could see him doing it 10 years or so if the people that screwed him over aren't there anymore.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't he *wanted* out of MGS since like... 2? He's free. Let the man be.

Yes, what went on with Rising is a good example of this. He initially made an outline for a game starring The Boss during WWII for a team within KojiPro. But they didn't want to take it because there would've been too much pressure to make a game like that. That gave birth to Rising. It to was canon, but mechanically it was going to be very different from any other MG game due to a much higher focus on action. But that also fell apart and eventually the project had to be shifted to Platinum with them changing up mechanics and the story along the way.

So Kojima getting fired finally gave him a way out of the franchise.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. And i hope to god it never happens.

Let the man create something original. Instead of forcing to make the same old shit, over and over again.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it can.

If Konami sells the MGS IP to Sony.

Still no.

Kojima only kept working on MGS after 2 because Konami basically forced him to AFAIK.

Kojima is never coming back to Metal Gear even if the IP rights end up in his lap. He wanted to be rid of it since basically forever at this point, the only way he'll ever come back is if everything else he works on bombs and it's his only option to get any funding.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure, in the same way that a Nomura-helmed Final Fantasy Versus XIII can happen: it's not technically impossible, but it's not going to happen.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was, there is nothing I want to know about the series lore to justify its existence.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Still no.

Kojima only kept working on MGS after 2 because Konami basically forced him to AFAIK.

Kojima is never coming back to Metal Gear even if the IP rights end up in his lap. He wanted to be rid of it since basically forever at this point, the only way he'll ever come back is if everything else he works on bombs and it's his only option to get any funding.
Kojima didn't want to get rid of Metal Gear, he just wanted to hand it off to someone else and direct something new himself. He apparently even approached Shinta Nojiri (director of Ghost Babel, Acid and Acid 2) to take it over but Nojiri turned him down, eventually left KojiPro and then led development on the disaster that was NeverDead.

If this theoretical scenario where Konami sold Metal Gear to Sony happened (and I don't think there's a chance they would), I think Kojima would be fine with being a producer on it. He just wouldn't want to direct it himself.