• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I googled it and the answer was mostly "no" but I'm rewatching TLJ and Snoke is doing controlled and sustained levitation of Daisy moving her left to right and holding her in place above the floor for her execution. It seems pretty much canonized now that they can fly. If you're going to cop out and say it cant be used on themselves because of reasons then there's still indirect levitation of objects that they can attach to themselves or stand on.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I googled it and the answer was mostly "no" but I'm rewatching TLJ and Snoke is doing controlled and sustained levitation of Daisy moving her left to right and holding her in place above the floor for her execution. It seems pretty much canonized now that they can fly. If you're going to cop out and say it cant be used on themselves because of reasons then there's still indirect levitation of objects that they can attach to themselves or stand on.

If they could they wouldn't be worried about falling down giant holes all the time.

From reading the EU books they can use the force to aid some physical feats sometimes but never just fly.

Oct 27, 2017
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Telekinesis/Legends#Force_Flight

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not in the new cannon, nope. At least, nothing I've seen points to this.

The 90s star wars doesn't count anymore, lots of things happened. I mean Luke apparently flew in Children of the Jedi but no one ever wants to hear about that again.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Uhm, that's just using the force to grab a person. Like Vader did with anyone he choked.

And with regards to the latter ... sure but that's kindasorta troll physics.
Though, that didn't stop Magneto from doing that very thing when moving himself (and the Golden Gate Bridge, while standing on it) to Alcatraz.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Ehhh I don't believe they can indefinitely fly. They can affect gravity around themselves and float. Maybe it is possible to learn this power?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yes

giphy.gif

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
They'll fly once in a movie and then never do it again. Like when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon used force speed in TPM.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's some dumb extended universe shit from 20 years ago where someone flies.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I assume they could lift themselves with the force like other weapons. Also, you can throw people with the force, so i assume you could do the same to yourself.

Also, why havent we seen a jedi who uses the force to move their lightsaber around in fights instead of their arms?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Both Anakin and Obiwan can leap like 50 feet onto whatever surface they like, so maybe?

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Is that flying though?
I was thinking magneto
Uhm, that's just using the force to grab a person. Like Vader did with anyone he choked.

And with regards to the latter ... sure but that's kindasorta troll physics.
Though, that didn't stop Magneto from doing that very thing when moving himself (and the Golden Gate Bridge, while standing on it) to Alcatraz.
Magneto is exactly who I was thinking of when I made mention of the indirect ability to levitate oneself.

To your first point though, you're completely ignoring the difference between what was happening: A force choke vs controlled and sustained levatation.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
SWJKDF2_14_maws_revenge.png

JK_Screen_03.jpg

Wookiepedia said:
Maw survived and replaced his legs with a repulsorlift carriage, but eventually mastered the art of Force flight and appropriated the Trispzest form of lightsaber combat. Due to his injury, he also came to be known as the Half-Man.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maw_(Dark_Jedi)

Force Flight

Dooku uses Force Flight on Rattatak

"Don't tell me Jedi Knights can fly now." ―Anja Gallandro to Jacen Solo[src]

Force Flight was a Force power that enabled the user to telekinetically move themselves toward a specific destination, taking levitation (see above) to an extreme degree. To use this Force power took a great deal of concentration.

The Dark Jedi Maw was skilled in this power. After having his lower body severed by the Jedi Qu Rahn, Maw initially relied on a repulsorlift for transport, but he soon learned to wield Force Flight so well that it became second nature. Darth Tyranus,[36] Darth Vader, and Darth Sidious[37][38] may have also possessed this power, being able to hover above the ground in standard gravity. The Dark Jedi Yun may have possessed this ability as well, to some degree. His master, Jerec, also possessed this power, demonstrating it in the Valley of the Jedi. Luke Skywalker could use this power, as he demonstrated on several occasions. His wife had also learned this skill by 40 ABY. The ancient Sith Lord Darth Thanaton was also able to use the Force to levitate, yet with better control to such a degree that he could indeed fly.[14] Ganner Rhysode once mentioned to Corran Horn that he could levitate them both for almost a kilometer—but that it would be highly energy-consuming. It is possible that Force Flight had some relation to Floating Meditation, a meditation technique where the user floated several inches off the ground during meditation.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Telekinesis/Legends

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I googled it and the answer was mostly "no" but I'm rewatching TLJ and Snoke is doing controlled and sustained levitation of Daisy moving her left to right and holding her in place above the floor for her execution. It seems pretty much canonized now that they can fly.

Dark Side users have always had a larger skillset than Light Side users.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they force move something are they acting as the fulcrum for that movement? Because then they could presumably just push down on a thing that isn't gonna move and they'd move in relation to it thanks for whichever Newton's law that is.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They can do really, really big jumps and land immense falls with the assistance of the Force. Depending on training and focus, of course.

You can do pretty much anything with the Force with enough training.