• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
As a white person, there are certainly areas of the world that are incredibly dangerous for you to be and people will look at you funny based on your whiteness though.
Yes, and?

My Wife was one time a "victem" of so called positive racism. She one time had a job interview. and the woman that was going to interview her was walking around and searching. So after she walked a few times past my wife, my wife asked are you searching me? "Oh I expected a Turkish person."the woman said. Well my wife has a Slovak last name. But also she was discriminated one time because of obisity. Got the question but can you do that with your weight.

hey people in the province i live now even that they talk negative about the people of the province I come from...

So yeah we europeans discriminate everybody who is different.
Yes, we Europeans are very good at discriminating others. And let's not kid ourselves here, if we were standing face to face I probably couldn't tell you're "different" and vice versa. And that's the point.

When we're talking about dominantly white societies your skin colour can make you "different" by default. That's the power structure: white is the norm, other is deviation from the norm. It's another issue if you personally discriminate based on that difference or not, but that structure is always present.

Which brings me to OP. Sometimes you can say screw white people, sometimes we need to be reminded of these things.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Schools are difficult to get into. Especially public schools. It's all about who you know. The person who got the job very well may have had a friend or relative who already works at the school.
My brother, a white male, who absolutely loves teaching and is fantastic at it, took him 6 years to find a full time job. Six. Years.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a white guy, I'm sorry she had to live through that.

Unless I'm mistaken, POC here in Quebec get preferential treatment when they apply for Teaching jobs, even contractual ones.
Don't quote me, but I think that's something I heard.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Was there anything said/done to indicate she was passed on the position based on race? Years of experience is definitely something to consider but it's only one metric in the whole equation. If there are other factors involved that do point towards denial based on race then there are avenues you can/should take to ensure that this institution is investigated and held accountable.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Just have to vent but wife today found out that she got rejected for a permanent ongoing teaching role where she has been contracting for the last year. She lost out to a white guy who is in his first year of teaching, meanwhile my wife (who is a person of colour) has 5 years of experience! The interview panel and the entire leadership group at this school is white

this is the second time that this has happened to her and she is absolutely devastated, she called me up crying her eyes out. We were counting on this as we want to buy a house and start a family but who knows if that will happen anytime soon now

Seen this happen way too many times to people from minority backgrounds and it just pisses me off, when are we actually going to get a fair chance? I'm just fucking done with this shit and it just makes it worse seeing all this news about people complaining when minorities speak up about things or asking to be treated fairly
I've been working in the school system in NYC for a long time and I just got my license to be a principal. They usually want someone with less experience because they're cheaper with lower salary. This year they're not focusing on test scores or achievement but focusing on compliance and budgets. Not saying race doesn't have a role but salary could be an impact. Budgets play a large role and if its in the middle of the school year that there's a vacancy it sounds like they lost someone and need a replacement as a fast and cheap solution.

Last edited:

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Was there anything said/done to indicate she was passed on the position based on skin color? Years of experience is definitely something to consider but it's only one metric in the whole equation. If there are other factors involved that do point towards denial based on skin color then there are avenues you can/should take to ensure that this institution is investigated and held accountable.

You can't just say 'we're not hiring based on you being black', that'll open up the floodgates of lawsuits.

They can say' you're not a good fit for this company culture' to get around that though.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
It's always interesting to me in these threads, white people run in like "I AM WHITE AND YES ABSOLUTELY!!" and then you have BIPOC saying this ain't it, but then you have other white people acting as if white people are acting fragile lol. Very bizarre.

Anyway, as a biracial guy in education, I would say connections and networking are what get you the job. School districts are likely to put those who graduated from the district or know someone ahead of those who don't. Other factors that pay play a role are the level of credentials they have (can the cover multiple subjects? Can they coach? Etc.) I completely understand your frustrations and education as a whole has a long way to go to hire and retain BIPOC staff, but I would press pause of casting accusations that race absolutely played a role. Your wife will find something better.

Edit: like someone above me said, salary also plays a role. For example, my district caps hiring people at Step 4. So they're likely to hire in cheaper employees than those with a lot of experience, as sucky as it is.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Race probably had some part in the decision making as well as gender but also from my understanding schools are extraordinarily stingy and a fresh out of college grad might have been more willing to work for pennies without the experience on his resume... Another issue with this country. Capitalism.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but white people oppressing non-white people is now "mythic history" that white supremacists have created? Holy shit.

He is evidently referring to the linear development of Western civilisation myth which is commonly-touted in right-leaning circles. "Whiteness" is a socially-constructed concept which emerged out of the Reformation, the beginning of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and era of colonial conquest and eventually crystallised in the form of race theory during the 1800s. Whiteness is the discourse of oppression endemic to the modern epoch.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OP your wife might have a good case for the EEOC, hiring someone white with less experience over an applicant of color with significantly more experience, especially considering the very white make up of the administration, is pretty damning. It may not go anywhere but it's worth looking into.
Its a double edged sword. The EEOC wont force the employer to give her the job. And even if they did overturn that, the employer probably wont be too happy about it and will make her professional carreer less than enjoyable... but at the very least it'll make the employers lives hell for a little while the investigation is ongoing.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Me at every IT/Dev meeting at work.

enhanced-buzz-14430-1366953737-3.jpg

Dec 23, 2017
Went through a similar situation at my previous employer. Having years and years of experience plus degrees and certs. Not being offered the position and in some cases not even getting offered an interview. People coming in with no experience or degrees getting positions I should have gotten. I had people that knew about these issues willing to go to HR on my behalf. Only thing I could think of on my end was being a POC. Everyone loved me at the company and knew my work ethic and professionalism was unquestioned. It hurt but for me wasn't worth the headache. I decided to look outside of the company and found an amazing position and things really worked out. I wish the best for your wife and I hope she finds something better soon.

roguebubble

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 8, 2018
Could she take this to a tribunal or whatever the equivalent is in your country? There was a similar case in the UK in the last month were an experienced part-time female teacher was passed over for a full position that went to an inexperienced male candidate and it was revealed in the tribunal that one of the reasons was that he had a "strong handshake". Thankfully though she won case and will be receiving compensation at some point

www.telegraph.co.uk

Male teacher chosen for job over female rival because he had 'strong handshake', tribunal hears

Vanaja Greenwood lost out to fellow candidate Neil Crossley for the role of full-time maths teacher at a ÂŁ21,000-a-year private school

*Sorry the link's from the torygraph but it's the only one not behind a paywall or mountains of ads

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I once planted an entire field of wheat drunk in a tractor on home made hooch. I then shot rabbits out of the back of a pick up truck while 80s hair rock played with my cousins.

I had a mullet at the time also.

Shit man, that's pretty fucking white.

You could have been on white people intervention or something.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
What are you on about? Racism in its modern conception is a white supremacist system which started in the middle of europe a few hundred years ago. You could go further back to ancient greece and the way they looked at barbarians but the true ideology of racism of which we suffer from today was created in europe a few centuries back.
Ancient Greeks, like pretty much every ancient civilization viewed any civilization or culture not their own as barbarians and inferior. I wouldn't call it racism as much as it being xenophobia.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of think it's horseshit that this thread is still open, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised either lol.

Paint away, folks. Don't forget to be broad with your strokes. Oh, you didn't forget - well good! You're as good as everyone else in the class now.
Nah, fuck white people, and fuck your white fragility.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have not followed this thread, so this may have already been suggested: OP I think you should try to get the attention of the local media at this point. In such a clear case where your wife has much more experience and loses out just because she's a poc the people responsible should be called out.
And making these kind of issues heard and spread is one of the few things which I think can help provoke change.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I have not followed this thread, so this may have already been suggested: OP I think you should try to get the attention of the local media at this point. In such a clear case where your wife has much more experience and loses out just because she's a poc the people responsible should be called out.
And making these kind of issues heard and spread is one of the few things which I think can help provoke change.
As someone with a Principal's license, I need to see clear intent that this decision was based on race. The school could've hired someone with less experience for salary and budgetary reasons especially in a year where most school's will lose a large amount of their budgets.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
As a Blackman. I completely know how you and your wife must feel. It's sad to still say racism is still happening and what your sentiment is valid.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Ancient Greeks, like pretty much every ancient civilization viewed any civilization or culture not their own as barbarians and inferior. I wouldn't call it racism as much as it being xenophobia.
I mentioned the greek because their teachings especially those from aristoteles were used to create racism as an ideology and science. But yeah what they and most other cultures practiced was ethnocentrism and not race based.
Nah, fuck white people, and fuck your white fragility.
Also lmao. Clear and to the point.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing every white person on this board will immediately agree with you OP. Due to white privilege it's very easy to say "yeah screw our race!" while knowing that such a statement doesn't actually matter because white people will continue to be just fine. It's a very appealing thing for progressive white people to say because they get to feel like they are supporting victims of racism, with no actual consequence or effort required. On the other hand people who have actually experienced racism might be the ones to hesitate about that type of statement.

I could be totally wrong but I'd be very curious to see that data.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As someone with a Principal's license, I need to see clear intent that this decision was based on race. The school could've hired someone with less experience for salary and budgetary reasons especially in a year where most school's will lose a large amount of their budgets.
You are certainly raising a good point which I haven't thought about. I guess with the information we aren't able to tell what the real deciding factor was.
But (and I myself am white) I think mostly the easiest answer is the right one. And in this case I guess it's race.

I hope for OP and his wife everything turns out for the best. I can only imagine how she feels.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm about to swim against the current here. I absolutely hate topics like this. Makes me feel extremely uncomfortable as a black dude and I honestly don't understand who it serves.

I legit don't want to be a part of a community where these type of threads flourish.

It's your opinion but it's corny.

Nobody says you have to be a bigot or an antagonist but you about to sit here and pretend this type of energy doesn't come from anywhere? No historic relevance from the past or present. No current day examples that prop up the sentiment. That people don't have valid experiences that lead to a fed up worldview at some point? That white people as group make non white peoples lives hard as fuck for no reason?

Most of the thread is white and agrees without hesitation but you're extremely uncomfortable??

Totally entitled to your opinion just reads weird without elaborating further

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
It sucks to hear you only got your job or whatever because of what you look like. Like sorry about your wife OP but you shouldnt do that.

Dec 31, 2017
It's always interesting to me in these threads, white people run in like "I AM WHITE AND YES ABSOLUTELY!!" and then you have BIPOC saying this ain't it, but then you have other white people acting as if white people are acting fragile lol. Very bizarre.
Yeah was gonna say, a huge portion of this thread is cringe for this reason.

Anyway, here are absolutely valid discussions to be had with regards to discrimination against minorities when looking for jobs. We have clear proof of it from numerous studies. It's certainly possible that played a role here, and I get the frustration from OP. Your wife seems to have great credentials so I am certain she will land on her feet.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Coming from a background in education, I'm especially sorry to hear about your wife's situation, OP. I wish I had some advice to impart beyond trying to keep her head up and checking out other ISDs/institutions. I had a friend who had to move 200 miles away to get an entry position for a few years before she could move back to our town and hopefully get an elementary teaching position here. It's absolutely nuts that schools don't have the budgets to hire more and more teachers like they should. I hope your wife finds something comparable soon.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I'm about to swim against the current here. I absolutely hate topics like this. Makes me feel extremely uncomfortable as a black dude and I honestly don't understand who it serves.

I legit don't want to be a part of a community where these type of threads flourish.

Its a release valve for people going through it, and the 'shock value' of the title serves a good purpose to remind people that because you feel like you've done the work and aren't 'that racist guy/girl' in the story it really is never done because its systemic.

Ultimately the reason these issues continue is less about the goose stepping nazi, but people who feel that the work stops with them ('I am not racist, so hear me hit dog holla about how this is offensive') as opposed to be continually pushed and worked through. Like its been said at this point its about being actively anti-racist...pushing for diversity, questioning ourselves (on all sides, etc).

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User banned (permanent): Misogyny against black women
even worst when i see my fellow black sisters (im a black male) using skin bleaching products and wear horse hair weave. Its like they hate themselves.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's real easy to say 'fuck white people' if you're white, just saying.

Sure, Absolutely. It's gonna take a lot more than like minds to solve it, it's gonna take real action

But the action usually doesn't come before a like headed mind...

I was definitely just pointing how weird it is to see someone black feel "extremely uncomfortable" about white criticism as if Global Colonial History doesn't exist and doesn't have a grasp on ALL our lives to this very second