• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, "culture fit" is a big thing in hiring. It's so nebulous and prone to stuff like this.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
As a white person I can back this shit up TBH, lots of favorism towards whites here. Not really a secret either

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
her current contract finishes at the end of the year so she has to keep teaching to keep getting paid. But they are dangling the prospect of another 12 month contract but she would have to compete with external applicants if she can even apply for it (bit unsure on that right now)

We live in Australia so not sure on the rules in terms of appealing the decision on the grounds of racism but that again could hinder her chances of getting the next 12 month contract
Ah damn it's Australia, I have no clue about what regulatory bodies you guys have for employment discrimination or what the laws are like there. I'm sorry this happened to your wife OP.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, "culture fit" is a big thing in hiring. It's so nebulous and prone to stuff like this.
It's really often used as an excuse to be racist/sexist/ageist. It's not a legal defense against discriminatory hiring practices, but the problem is you have to prove the discrimination which is really hard to do.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same people offended by it saying "not all white people" have very "All lives matter" vibes to them. It's like, yeah no shit. Not every single white person is fucking evil, if you're being hurt or offended by it, maybe ask why that is?

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm white. Look at the election results. Screw white people. Especially men. Obama tan suit scandal but Trump gets to pretend elections don't count so white people's feelings aren't hurt.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
My gf had a saying for me.

"There's white people, and people who happen to be white."

tenor.gif

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can OP. I am sorry that your wife didn't get the job.

I'll say this a brown, non-christian immigrant ...

no

Please don't paint an entire population with a single stroke.

Edit: Been on a receiving end of "screw all _____", it sucks.

Every white people on on earth benefit from white privilege regardless whether they intended it or not. So yes all white people should be tarred with the same with the brush until the system is dismantled.

It's not fair that White people have an unfair advantage over us BIPOC.

to be fair OP, maybe the panel was sexist

Most likely both, which is never a fun combination. Life is hard enough if you're a BIPOC but even harder if you're a disabled/woman/LBGT+ BIPOC or if you're really unlucky all of them combined. 🙃

Generalizations are bad... But the literal "not all white people" stance is always always gross feeling to me. It's just used way too often to sidestep very real racism/sexism/-----phobia.

Yep. White people just have a fragile ego and can't handle the truth nor accept that they will never be a victim of racism. Their privileges protects them of that.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Just have to vent but wife today found out that she got rejected for a permanent ongoing teaching role where she has been contracting for the last year. She lost out to a white guy who is in his first year of teaching, meanwhile my wife (who is a person of colour) has 5 years of experience! The interview panel and the entire leadership group at this school is white

this is the second time that this has happened to her and she is absolutely devastated, she called me up crying her eyes out. We were counting on this as we want to buy a house and start a family but who knows if that will happen anytime soon now

Seen this happen way too many times to people from minority backgrounds and it just pisses me off, when are we actually going to get a fair chance? I'm just fucking done with this shit and it just makes it worse seeing all this news about people complaining when minorities speak up about things or asking to be treated fairly

I am so sorry this happened to you and your wife. It's bullshit, it's racism, it's cruel, and it's yet another example of white people at our worst. I can't say anything useful, but don't let anyone gaslight you into thinking you're wrong to identify this as racial nepotism, or wrong to call it exactly what it is. I am so fucking disgusted that this is still a thing good people have to endure.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Most likely both, which is never a fun combination. Life is hard enough if you're a BIPOC but even harder if you're a disabled/woman/LBGT+ BIPOC or if you're really unlucky all of them combined. 🙃
yeah, I agree that it's most certainly this

though in education a white woman might've gotten in over a white man so the racism was probably the main thing

(I'm overthinking this now)

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Same people offended by it saying "not all white people" have very "All lives matter" vibes to them. It's like, yeah no shit. Not every single white person is fucking evil, if you're being hurt or offended by it, maybe ask why that is?
some painfully boring white people consider their whiteness a primary part of their identity, and take issue with said identity being threatened

OP
OP

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even know what to say to her when she gets home but as someone who went through something similar earlier in my career, it takes a while to get over it. I think why it's hitting her so hard is when you look at the facts, it should have been a no brainer considering her experience and the feed back she received throughout the year

hopefully she can find something else soon

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
And vent away. White people will be fine.

Cosigned. Go ahead with any and all venting.

giphy.gif

"Not all white people" is the equivalent of "not all men" and doesn't need to be said. I'm pretty sure most white people here are going to be fine and nod in agreement.

giphy.gif

per men in black, a person can be smart, but people are dumb

a white person can be good, but white people are bad

giphy.gif

Koans for Millennials

I like it

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn, I can relate to how your wife feels so hard. I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this this.

And does it really need to be said that he of course knows not all white people suck? *checks thread* Yeah, I guess it does...

I 100% empathize with you and her anger and frustration. I've been there too. It was always a blow each and every time I'd be passed up for a promotion, or for a full time contract, while my white peers climbed the industry ladder, becoming producers, game designers, etc, etc. It was always bittersweet for me. Like, on one hand, I really was happy for them, because they were good folks, and worked just as hard as I did, but on the other hand, I was becoming increasingly discouraged, because eventually it got to the point where it wasn't just my white coworkers that started work when I did getting promotions, but people that had only been at the company for a few months, and even less experience than me, yet the opportunities continued to pass me by, despite expressing repeated interest in wanting to move up. I even left the industry completely for about a year, due to a mix of burnout, and just being discouraged from even wanting to pursue a career in gaming at all.

I eventually landed at a studio where I was finally able to show what I could do, but also had leadership that actively encouraged and fostered growth within the company, and gave me (and others), the tools to actually grow, and so when opportunities for advancement presented itself, I was able to finally take advantage of it. I don't think it's a coincidence that my job is incredibly diverse, from people of color, to women.

Racial bias in the workplace is a thing, people. A very, very common, dehumanizing, frustrating, and widespread thing. The OP's anger and frustration is completely valid and warranted.

EDIT: Oh man, it's been a while since I've heard "culture fit." What a complete and utter piece of bullshit. "Culture fit" is just a dog whistle for "not the same ethnic group/gender/age/etc as me and my golf buddies." Pisses me off so much.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry to hear, OP.

To all the fragile white people sputtering (or about to sputter) about the thread title: stop being so fragile, ya snowflakes. White people will be fine.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanna say it's rough as a contractor. That alone pretty permanently others you. Might be a factor. Not saying the race thing doesn't as well. Condolences.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
My fiance is a school teacher(white though)and the same thing has happened to her multiple times as well. The education system is all fucked up. You can say what you want though, idc.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I can relate to how your wife feels so hard. I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this this.

And does it really need to be said that he of course knows not all white people suck? *checks thread* Yeah, I guess it does...

I 100% empathize with you and her anger and frustration. I've been there too. It was always a blow each and every time I'd be passed up for a promotion, or for a full time contract, while my white peers climbed the industry ladder, becoming producers, game designers, etc, etc. It was always bittersweet for me. Like, on one hand, I really was happy for them, because they were good folks, and worked just as hard as I did, but on the other hand, I was becoming increasingly discouraged, because eventually it got to the point where it wasn't just my white coworkers that started work when I did getting promotions, but people that had only been at the company for a few months, and even less experience than me, yet the opportunities continued to pass me by, despite expressing repeated interest in wanting to move up. I even left the industry completely for about a year, due to a mix of burnout, and just being discouraged from even wanting to pursue a career in gaming at all.

I eventually landed at a studio where I was finally able to show what I could do, but also had leadership that actively encouraged and fostered growth within the company, and gave me (and others), the tools to actually grow, and so when opportunities for advancement presented itself, I was able to finally take advantage of it. I don't think it's a coincidence that my job is incredibly diverse, from people of color, to women.

Racial bias in the workplace is a thing, people. A very, very common, dehumanizing, frustrating, and widespread thing. The OP's anger and frustration is completely valid and warranted.

EDIT: Oh man, it's been a while since I've heard "culture fit." What a complete and utter piece of bullshit. "Culture fit" is just a dog whistle for "not the same ethnic group/gender/age/etc as me and my golf buddies." Pisses me off so much.

Thank you so much, i want to show this to her when she gets back so she knows she isn't alone

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
"I don't want to be screwed!" sputtered the fragile white, coaxed into yet another hilarious self-own

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah. A ton more white people need to recognize their privilege. Obviously they weren't the ones who made it that way, but ignoring it just lets the problem continue.

What identity? Lol. We have none.
White isn't an identity.
The type who celebrate the confederacy or who make being able to drink milk into adulthood a big deal.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear that, OP. The (white) culture in school faculties is so annoying, from all the stories I've heard from my sister (a WOC teacher).
Even if you get the job, sometimes they'll passive-aggressively bully you into leaving anyway

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. A ton more white people need to recognize their privilege. Obviously they weren't the ones who made it that way, but ignoring it just lets the problem continue.

The type who celebrate the confederacy or who make being able to drink milk into adulthood a big deal.
That's not white identity. I don't even know what that is.

That's "Merca" Identity

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Just have to vent but wife today found out that she got rejected for a permanent ongoing teaching role where she has been contracting for the last year. She lost out to a white guy who is in his first year of teaching, meanwhile my wife (who is a person of colour) has 5 years of experience! The interview panel and the entire leadership group at this school is white

this is the second time that this has happened to her and she is absolutely devastated, she called me up crying her eyes out. We were counting on this as we want to buy a house and start a family but who knows if that will happen anytime soon now

Seen this happen way too many times to people from minority backgrounds and it just pisses me off, when are we actually going to get a fair chance? I'm just fucking done with this shit and it just makes it worse seeing all this news about people complaining when minorities speak up about things or asking to be treated fairly
as a white dude i sort of agree many white people sort of blow i mean look at trumps base that says all you need to know.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends where you're from, but you may be able to demand an explanation. Throw in a bit of context regarding the experience when asking. If nothing else it'll make them uncomfortable.