• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
They're the only streamers taking chances on original and untested ideas and properties. The streamers owned by big studios are doing none of that. They're just doing reboots and movies based on their IP.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i hear you, but they also don't have the catalog of those other studios so they can only rely on new IPs, if they did have catalog, theyd milk the shit out of it too probably

Oct 27, 2017
They're the only streamers taking chances on original and untested ideas and properties. The streamers owned by big studios are doing none of that. They're just doing reboots and movies based on their IP.
Might be kind of out of necessity. It's easier/cheaper to make a new show than to buy the rights to existing properties.

But then they do have things like the Marvel shows or LotR so I dunno.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

i hear you, but they also don't have the catalog of those other studios so they can only rely on new IPs, if they did have catalog, theyd milk the shit out of it too probably

Both of these are good points.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I actually think that HBO Max is doing a really good job... Like Doom Patrol getting another season is pretty unreal to me.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Well.. Jeah if you don't have the IP as Disney or the deep deep pocket spending of Apple you kinda need to make original content

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're playing with the cards they're dealt - Amazon with the battlechest to try anything at least once (and buy out lucrative IP for streaming like Lord of the Rings when necessary), and Netflix with its realization back in the House of Cards days that it needed to make original content or die before all the big players finally made their own service and took everything of value off of their service.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
HBO still puts out some good original stuff and Apple TV+ has some interesting shows they just need more content to really prove their worth.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What else could they do for their own content?

Disney gets to dig into its stock of super lucrative IPs, for example, I don't think it would make as much sense for them to do that.

Plus... I'm not enthusiastic about that praise considering the quality of a lot of this original content.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is prompted by the Paramount+ announcement today, which was primarily an investors' meeting. Of course it makes sense for them to highlight the strength of their existing IP when pitching their portfolio TO INVESTORS. It would have been inappropriate to stress new properties with long introductory trailers about them during an investors' meeting. Any such programs would likely have been lost in the shuffle, unless they were backed by major stars.

This certainly doesn't mean that they have zero original shows forthcoming (indeed, they showed some generally exciting ones, like the new Nathan Fielder / Safdie Bros show) ... just that they focused on what they perceive to be strengths in this context.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Only 1 service has Dark, Stranger things, Castlevania and many awesome foreign shows on it so.... you're right OP.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
p_disneyplus_rayaandthelastdragon_20842_36be8eca.jpeg