• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
I get that it's part of the success and is intentional but to me it feels too bland. Like an upscaled NES rpg.

No engaging story
No cinematic approach to the cutscenes or while exploring the world
NPCs are the same handful of models everywhere
No unique addition to battles/gameplay
Bland as hell music. This one really surprises me as I hear people praise the composers work (and for good reason shit on his personal life). The music is the same jolly jingle. In my opinion the music direction was just god awful but its probably there for nostalgia.

I could appreciate it for the core concept of wanting to retain classic RPG gameplay but it comes off as sterile and void of any creativity on my end.
...are you playing Dragon Quest XI S or something else?

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Bland as hell music. This one really surprises me as I hear people praise the composers work (and for good reason shit on his personal life).

Dragon Quest XI is considered one of the weakest soundtracks in the series. I played DQ5 recently and the music was good, not GOAT status but definitely memorable.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
DQ music is phenomenal as heck. The blasphemy on these westerners who grew up on Squaresoft RPG is comedy.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I didn't realize XI did poorly over here.

What a bummer. Dragon Quest is such an amazing series and XI in particular is an all-time great JRPG. Hopefully the Switch version gives it the boost it deserves over here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
For all the shitty things about Sugiyama, he is a brilliant classical composer. Some of his orchestrated Dragon Quest songs are some of the best out there. But you can tell which songs in this game are original compositions for XI and which ones come from the rest of the series. There is no defending the cheap synths they use for the original release of the game. The battle theme sounds really good orchestrated but there just is no saving the overworld theme - too short, six themes in one, that obnoxious clicking. But we can replace it with VIIIs overworld theme in the final game, so yay on that.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love DQ (it's my all-time favorite JRPG series), but it's a year-late port of an already existing game from different platforms, and let's face it, it's never going to have that mass appeal, excitement, or marketing push of something like Final Fantasy VII Remake (which I'm sure will be nuts this coming March), so while I do expect it will probably sell best on Switch, I don't think the numbers are going to be so wildly different. I would love to be wrong though. :)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I can see it. The time is right, Smash gives it a push, Builders 2 introduces people perfectly to the franchise and the demo gives it even more hype.
The marketing for the definitive version and all the new features is fantastic and all together will lead the new audience to wanting them scratch the Dragon Quest itch when it finally releases. Switch already did miracles to so many indie games where I personally would have thought "who the fuck gives a shit about this port?" And then devs said it's the platform with the most sells. So the Switch will give it a huge boost, cause it can put it in a light that the 3DS never could.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
I'd hope so but I doubt it, it seems traditional turn based is something that a lot of people just don't like or care for unfortunately

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's #3 best seller on Amazon after Yakuza Collection and Smush for today. we can't deny the demo is making some moves. too bad we can't get longer charts

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quest is too boring in general. Jrpgs have to have "something" to make western people excited (Persona = dating sim, SMT = Mythological demons, Final Fantasy = weird shit). Dragon Quest main appeal is it not being anything more than a classic JRPG. It will never appeal western people because it is the quintessential japanese game.
Persona is less about dating sim, and more about "this is me if my high school life was perfect" sort of thing. I think that hits close to a lot of people, considering high school in America/Japan is a nightmare for many.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do hope so, I mean, atleast enough so we get most of the games localized going forward.

Persona is less about dating sim, and more about "this is me if my high school life was perfect" sort of thing. I think that hits close to a lot of people, considering high school in America/Japan is a nightmare for many.

I wouldnt view it as a perfect highschool life, especially considering the homophobia and transphobia involved.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing the switch demo the past day I honestly expected more.
It's not bad, I'm enjoying myself, but the pace is a little slow to start, and there is no wow factor or innovation I've seen so far
But honestly after reading how the Japanese tend to approach a new entry in the dragon quest series it has tempered expectations back a little
Was a huge fan of vii, 8 & 9
I've had to switch to Japanese voiceover and English subs as that feels better than the slowly read English country bumpkins I've encountered so far
But again I'm Very early on so far
Have it preordered and preloaded for day 1 so I'm committed no matter my view now (the joy of digital - my choice though so not complaining)

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
September is very packed.
FE had nothing between end july and 30th august + FE Heroes is a big success so...

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I don't really see how DQ11S would if vanilla DQ11 didn't already. That Square-Enix themselves aren't publishing it in the west should be telling.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I mean, actual advertising from nintendo should help. I dont expect it to be a massive success, but I can see it doing better than the ps4 release.

That might help but it isn't like DQ11 came out in the west to nobody's notice either. It might do better than the PS4 and PC release but not sure if that'll be the break out moment for the series in the west.

Well the version of Dragon Quest Builders 2 they published sold worse so...

True, but not sure how to take the sales of DQB2 as it's a sequel of a spin-off.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than IX was capable of being? Lol, no. 11 and 11S are not two 100% different games.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love for it to be a breakout and catapult the series in the west but it's a port. Not to mention releasing in the latter end of the year when these big aaa games get a lot of marketing and releases.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
User banned (1 week): dismissing concerns around homophobia/transphobia
After seeing lots of buzz around the demo and Hero being in Smash I feel like if it doesn't happen now, it's never going to.
It's a shame because fuck, the series is just so darn delightful and fun. I wish more people gave it a shot. Gotta commend SE/Nintendo for putting out such a lengthy demo at least.

I wouldnt view it as a perfect highschool life, especially considering the homophobia and transphobia involved.
You people act as if the homophobic/transphobic stuff in Persona 5 is a major part of the game and not like... a handful of lines in a 100 hour game.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't see it. I think it'll be the best selling platform of the game in time but this series just dont seem to appeal to a big crowd. Shame really.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Well as someone who hasn't been in love with JRPGs in recent years and hasn't played the series before, after playing the demo (still have a heap to do mind) I've pre-ordered the game. The charm of it has won me over.

Flozuki

Nov 7, 2017
I have PS4 Pro, Xbox and Switch. I wasn't really interested but their latest footage made me preorder the switch version. So it might work :-)

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
It will launch a couple of days after the release of the Switch Lite. So there's a chance that new Switch owners will pick it up. Especially if stores bundle the console with the game.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I preloaded it for switch with a voucher. Never really owned a Dragon Quest game before and always been a huge final fantasy fan. I've played some of them growing up at a friend's place and 8 was pretty awesome for the time. This will be my first time owning a DQ game and I'm hyped.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
All I can tell you is this is the first time it's caught my attention, primarily due to Smash. Downloading the demo now, will let that determine if I purchase.
Update: I'm now planning on purchasing.

Putting the Hero in Smash and following it up with a meaty demo for an upcoming release was brilliant on their part; I feel the only way it would've been better is if Hero released closer to the demo, and/or if Fire Emblem's release was further away from it. Just went through my friends list and no one who'd be interested in it has actually played it because they're all still playing FE.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
A lot of things are going for S, but there is also a really big thing going against it. A vanilla version for half the price. Unless Nintendo faithful and double dippers show up in droves I just don't see it setting any records.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot going for the game, from a great deal of new additional content as well as content from the 3DS version, being in Smash helping to make the hero a recognizable face, a demo of the game currently out on eShop, and Nintendo marketing it where as Square hardly did marketing for the original release. It does still have to deal with a packed September for the Switch though. There's also still a lot of stigma around the series in the west to do great, great numbers like you'd see from Japan's side. I don't think it will be the break out success for the series, but I can still see this game fairing a lot better overall.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of things are going for S, but there is also a really big thing going against it. A vanilla version for half the price. Unless Nintendo faithful and double dippers show up in droves I just don't see it setting any records.

How is that a negative thing for the game and series? There being a half price version I mean.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It won't even be the best rereleased JRPG that month

original.gif

No FF can compared to DQ. Try again.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
That's true, they sell so much more it's not a fair comparison.

I don't care about sales. I am not SE employee or developer in the least sense. Westerners by nature just don't like JRPGs unless it has a gimmick to it and that is fine. DQ is the best series ever next to The Legend of Zelda.

Like you think I care about the west trash taste when it comes to a superb JRPG? Lmao. DQIII wasn't in the top 50 JRPG when every JRPG right now owes its inception to that damn game. It is a damn shame. Y'all keep doing y'all.

Gale Moran

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
JRPGs is one of my favourite genres, but the demo completely unsold me on the game. Didn't like much of it at all. I feel that if they want some real success in the west they need to evolve and not be stuck in the 90s.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't care about sales. I am not SE employee or developer in the least sense. Westerners by nature just don't like JRPGs unless it has a gimmick to it and that is fine. DQ is the best series ever next to The Legend of Zelda.

Like you think I care about the west trash taste when it comes to a superb JRPG? Lmao. DQIII wasn't in the top 50 JRPG when every JRPG right now owes its inception to that damn game. It is a damn shame. Y'all keep doing y'all.
Oh sorry, you're right. Now FF may have better story, gameplay, graphics, music, sales, critical reception, but it's the West that's wrong. It's not the series' fault it hasn't popped off.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
it'd be a bayonetta situation, where they sell a million copies but it's at bargain bin price. so SE doesn't gain anything since they're not gonna ship new copies once the game hits that point

But the question is about the series breaking out in the West. Brand awareness would be higher regardless of what version or price people are buying the game at.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game will do fine but DQIX is probably the ceiling for about how well DQ can do in the west. people expecting it to "take off" is like watching a charlie brown kicking the football gag every time... there's virtually nothing that would make these games a breakout hit here, and Hori & co. don't seem too fussed with expanding its appeal

Oct 29, 2017
UK
game will do fine but DQIX is probably the ceiling for about how well DQ can do in the west. people expecting it to "take off" is like watching a charlie brown kicking the football gag every time... there's virtually nothing that would make these games a breakout hit here, and Hori & co. don't seem too fussed with expanding its appeal
We need to bring Jedward back
ECnNsIVUwAAg1ai.png