• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
When they came onto the scene Bayonetta, The Evil Within and Nioh made waves and though the sequels for each series reviewed well the sales did not match the original. For Bayonetta releasing on that flop of the system Wii U hurt it a lot but it is it somehow getting a sequel on the wildly popular Switch. But for The Evil Within and Nioh the platform cannot be to blame. What hurt their sales and can their fortunes be reversed? Do you think Bayonetta can also rebound or has that ship sailed?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
When they came onto the scene Bayonetta, The Evil Within and Nioh made waves and though the sequels for each series reviewed well the sales did not match the original. For Bayonetta releasing on that flop of the system Wii U hurt it a lot but it is it somehow getting a sequel on the wildly popular Switch. But for The Evil Within and Nioh the platform cannot be to blame. What hurt their sales and can their fortunes be reversed? Do you think Bayonetta can also rebound or has that ship sailed?
Nioh sold really well though? 1st game sold 3m+ and the sequel sold over 1 million if I recall correctly. Furthermore, it's getting a PS5 and PC release. I think it's fine.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be very, very surprised if The Evil Within didn't get a third game soon, but what do you mean "save" Bayonetta? We're getting a third one next year. 🤔

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean Bayonetta 3 is still (supposedly) in development and Nioh 2 is getting a PS5 patch and a PC release. Bit early to say they're dead.

Mar 8, 2018
What joins these three games any more than any other collection of games that didn't end up being massive hits?

I also wasn't aware that any of these series was in need of "saving."

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Coming to game pass day one might help out Evil Within if it ever gets a sequel, more people will give it a go at least if it's part of their subscription.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Uh... We're getting Bayonetta 3, probably an Evil Within 3, and unless Team Ninja decides to make another Ninja Gaiden we're gonna get another Nioh.

Not every game is destined for double digit million sales.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nioh 2 had Sony money and sold 1.2m copies which is fantastic for Koei, and it'll do even better when it comes to PC/PS5 next year. It doesn't need saving lol. It also had a bigger launch in Japan and the UK than Nioh 1 did.

Nioh 1 took 3 years to hit 3m sales. Nioh 2 still has 2 years and 3 months to catch up.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played Nioh 2 yet - waiting on ps5 version - but the original was phenomenal. I read somewhere that Team Ninja wanted to make a new IP for the PS5 though.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The Evil within got a sequel. Nioh got a sequel, and both Nioh 1 and 2 are being remastered on PS5. Not sure what else you could want here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo bankrolled two Bayonetta sequels and put her in Smash. I don't think you need to worry about Bayonetta.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
? The PC version of Nioh 2 isn't even out yet. And unlike 1 it was a sure thing that it will come to PC. I would wait til after february to see if it is flopping or not..

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh 2 was at least a success judging from the reports of more than 1 million sold copies in two months or so and will do great with the next gen patch and pc release. Don't know about Bayonetta and Evil Within.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo actually did "save" Bayonetta. It would've been a one-and-done franchise were it not for them.

The Evil Within will most likely have a third installment with a much larger budget with Microsoft's backing.

Nioh's sequel has sold pretty well on PS4, has a PC port on the way as well as a next gen console patch, and I'm not sure how that franchise would need "saving" or what that would even mean.
This is a stealth Bayonetta 2 port begging thread.
lol very well could be

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Bayonetta is going to be fine as a b tier (in terms of sales) Nintendo series for years to come I imagine.

I don't see any reason why there won't be aNioh 3.

Evil Within 3 could certainly happen under MS. They don't have any other ongoing horror series really do they?

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The only saving any of these need is when Nintendo arbitrarily decide to not bring Bayo 2 and 3 along to new platforms any more and they're anchored to consoles of the past.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a new Ninja Gaiden before a Nioh 3, to be honest. The Evil Within 3 would be awesome, but I'm also very excited for Ghostwire Tokyo. Bayonetta 3 is already announced.

Not everything needs to go on forever. New things are fun too. As long as the studios are still in a healthy enough financial position, individual IPs don't matter all that much to me.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, I'm buying Nioh 2 when it comes out on PC. It's taken care of.
As for Bayonetta, I don't think there's much to worry about with 3 on the way.

Regarding The Evil Within, well I suppose that's one upside of MS buying ZeniMax cause I doubt the latter would've gone back to the series anytime soon after the sequel's poor sales (imo probably caused by their own gimmick release date in a very busy time).

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only saving any of these need is when Nintendo arbitrarily decide to not bring Bayo 2 and 3 along to new platforms any more and they're anchored to consoles of the past.
Nintendo did bring out 2 again, pretty quickly on Switch though?

Who's to say that Bayo 2/3 won't get the support Bayo 1/2 did?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can all of these games that got sequels, one of which released recently, and another of which is to be released next year, be saved?

The hell is this thread...?

Eyad

Nov 17, 2020
I thought Nioh was doing well. I don't know about Bayonetta, but I don't think they're doing terrible either.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Evil Within was ruined with the sequel, so unless Mikami has full creative reigns, I doubt I will be as excited for a sequel. Bayonetta and Nioh are fine though. Not sure what the problem is.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh 2 has sold 1.2 million copies since October and the PC/PS5 release is coming next year so I assume it will continue to sell. First game only got 3 million after 3 years so I dunno how you're worried for the sequel when it seems to be selling well if not more than the first game. If Nintendo keeps bankrolling Bayonetta then it should be fine but I'm not really confident in Platinum staying alive this coming gen, especially if their self-publishing plan doesn't work.

I have no idea about the Evil Within, like if it bombed or anything.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The premise of this thread is faulty. The only franchise mentioned that is in limbo is The Evil Within, which at least had an amazing sequel to follow up the bland first game despite not selling well.

Bayo and Nioh are doing fine.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me reading the OP, then watching the Bayonetta 3 teaser and the OP again:

giphy.gif

Is this a stealth Bayonetta 2 port thread?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Nioh did pretty well for KT. I would love to see a third entry to The Evil Within. I'm not sure if Tango develops multiple games at the same time but have John Johanas have another go.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I thought beyonnetta was being saved, to my knowledge it rerelease sales on switch have been incredibly high

Dec 11, 2017
the premise of this thread makes no sense
The OP is centered around the sequels selling less than the originals, which can end franchises. If your audience for a third entry is a subset of the people that played the second game, you're in trouble.

Perhaps a better question is: what do these franchises need to do to sell better than their previous entry?

Just being on Switch should ensure Bayonetta 3 outsells 2. As for the other 2, I don't have a great answer.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
What the thread title says "Can Bayonetta be saved"

What it actually means "I would rather have no Bayonetta then one on consoles without 300 gigglyflops of teraram"

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Nintendo did bring out 2 again, pretty quickly on Switch though?

Who's to say that Bayo 2/3 won't get the support Bayo 1/2 did?

Sure, no one can say definitely one way or the other. There was a sense that Nintendo brought a lot of Wii U games to the Switch to capitalise on what was perceived unleveraged value, given how poorly the Wii U did. You have a bunch of sequels or updates on Switch which are essentially re-releases of Wii U games.

As long as the form factor and emphasis of their upcoming systems allow for legacy titles they may be safely brought along, but it is of course up to the whims of Nintendo. I don't have enough fingers across two hands to count the franchises that are stuck in old console phantom zone because Ninty don't seem fussed about leaving them behind.