• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I recently got an offer to intern for 5 months with ACUITUS to fast track my IT career. They said it's a newer program with 1000+ graduates that average 100k salaries in USA, cutting edge stuff that uses different real world professionals every week + teaching A.I to train you. Said no up front cost, you owe 35k after program and only pay 10% of your future paycheck for 6 years then you get loan forgiveness. I spoke to them over the phone and they mentioned that their graduates are highly sought after in the tech field.

Are they legit? I haven't heard much about them.

EDIT: Acuitas not Aquitas.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got like a company website to link to? They don't show up when I search and I've personally never heard of them.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I recently got an offer to intern for 5 months with Aquitas to fast track my IT career. They said it's a newer program with 1000+ graduates that average 100k salaries in USA, cutting edge stuff that uses different real world professionals every week + teaching A.I to train you. Said no up front cost, you owe 35k after program and only pay 10% of your future paycheck for 6 years then you get loan forgiveness. I spoke to them over the phone and they mentioned that their graduates are highly sought after in the tech field.

I always find it very weird when people say they've been offered the chance to pay for something. Reeks of scummy sales talk.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Their career page redirects back to the home page, so theres a good sign for your IT future.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Just from the description in the OP it sounds like IT tech or some other for profit school that just puts you in debt and not much else.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like one of those "schools" that my former coworkers were class action suing later on.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Shiiiiiit. I meant to type Acuitus.

They gave me this info to have an in person interview:
Acuitus, Inc.
1050 Enterprise Way, Suite 200
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Main: 650-213-3300

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I'm sure there are people well placed from these job training programs, but, in general, they're best to avoid.

They're no better than the Sally Struthers Job Training Academy companies from the 80s and 90s, just in a different field. Back then it was telephone repair, or something, and today it's learn to code academies.

For-profit education training facilities make a lot of promises, and for the most part, they're best to avoid. I'm sure there are graduates who get good placement after or they get a great opportunity somewhere, but in general, you're going to hear people success stories more than the stories that don't work out, just like in other for-profit education fields... People who aren't successful in the programs tend to be embarrassed by it and don't share their experiences as much as people who are successful.

Also $35,000 for non-degree granting job program is expensive. Their payment program is suspicious. Companies cannot be profitable without a catch if they only bill you you "once you get a job," or only take a percentage of your tuition bill and then ... forgive your bill. That doesn't pass the smell test. If companies are saying up front that you don't have to pay them what the program costs, that they just forgive tuition after a certain amount of years, there's something fishy behind that.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got an offer to intern for 5 months with ACUITUS to fast track my IT career. They said it's a newer program with 1000+ graduates that average 100k salaries in USA, cutting edge stuff that uses different real world professionals every week + teaching A.I to train you. Said no up front cost, you owe 35k after program and only pay 10% of your future paycheck for 6 years then you get loan forgiveness. I spoke to them over the phone and they mentioned that their graduates are highly sought after in the tech field.

average 100k

6 years

average 600k for 6 years

10% for 6 years is 60k

what is the loan forgiveness for if you're paying 25k extra

(obviously this is before taxes but... still)

IS MY MATH WRONG

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paying $35k for 5 months of training is a huge rip off. This company has no real credibility either. If you put "Acuitus graduate" on your resume, I guarantee the jobs you're interviewing at are going to be like "... ok?"

I guess you could make the argument that this Acuitus company could potentially give you some connections into the industry, but I personally wouldn't trust any other company connected to these people either. This whole thing just seems very shady to me.

But the good news is that there are jobs aplenty in the IT industry, and you can learn everything on your own for free. You should go that route.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Paying $35k for 5 months of training is a huge rip off. This company has no real credibility either. If you put "Acuitus graduate" on your resume, I guarantee the jobs you're interviewing at are going to be like "... ok?"

I guess you could make the argument that this Acuitus company could potentially give you some connections into the industry, but I personally wouldn't trust any other company connected to these people either. This whole thing just seems very shady to me.

But the good news is that there are jobs aplenty in the IT industry, and you can learn everything on your own for free. You should go that route.

This makes me sad! I was feeling special that they made me an offer and called me charming/smart.

I have already been studying for IT. Passing basic certs and studying for intermediate ones now. But it can be competitive so wanted any extra help possible to stand out.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Dude, this is totally not worth it. Just teach yourself. There are tons of cheap and/or free resources out there. And if you need to network, go to MeetUps and interact with people in whatever IT field you are trying to get into.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait are you applying for an internship to work for the company or thinking about buying one of their courses?

Either way I would probably use that money for investing in your own IT education. I remember years ago these guys used to spam craigslist with ads for these programs. I don't think it's an outright scam, but I also don't think it's a wise use of your time/money.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Never heard of them but I will tell you that no specific graduate is highly sought after in the IT field. People with career experience at name dropping companies can be highly sought after though and if they have a placement program with name droppable companies then it would be worth it. In SF there are some intern programs that have placements with the over funded unicorns out here and that'll get you something on a resume that will launch you quite quick (Had this happen to a friend)

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Dude, this is totally not worth it. Just teach yourself. There are tons of cheap and/or free resources out there. And if you need to network, go to MeetUps and interact with people in whatever IT field you are trying to get into.

MeetUps? Never heard of that website, will check it out.

So you replied to a Job posting and got an offer to pay for a training program? Major red flags.

It said it was training so I was hopeful that they saw my value :(

Wait are you applying for an internship to work for the company or thinking about buying one of their courses?

Either way I would probably use that money for investing in your own IT education. I remember years ago these guys used to spam craigslist with ads for these programs. I don't think it's an outright scam, but I also don't think it's a wise use of your time/money.

It was supposed to be like a training program/boot camp? I would love to get more hands on experience, studying books, videos and using VM hasn't helped me feel super prepared, even after passing certs.

Never heard of them but I will tell you that no specific graduate is highly sought after in the IT field. People with career experience at name dropping companies can be highly sought after though and if they have a placement program with name droppable companies then it would be worth it. In SF there are some intern programs that have placements with the over funded unicorns out here and that'll get you something on a resume that will launch you quite quick (Had this happen to a friend)

Yes! That's why I got excited. A friend of mine did a coding bootcamp for a few months that cost 20K and he got a 90k starting job quickly.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of places where unpaid internships are illegal. A few local IT companies were recently sued and had to backpay hundreds of interns.

PAYING for an internship? That's an outrageous scam.

Oct 27, 2017
MeetUps? Never heard of that website, will check it out.

It said it was training so I was hopeful that they saw my value :(

It was supposed to be like a training program/boot camp? I would love to get more hands on experience, studying books, videos and using VM hasn't helped me feel super prepared, even after passing certs.

Yes! That's why I got excited. A friend of mine did a coding bootcamp for a few months that cost 20K and he got a 90k starting job quickly.
What did he learn to code?

nonuser

Oct 27, 2017
If you feel like you're lacking experience but you have a good foundation, you can always try to apply for apprenticeships with more legitimate companies. Those type of apprenticeship/internship are actually paid positions.

A lot of big companies now days (see Microsoft's LEAP program or the newly instated Twitter apprenticeship) have these type of programs to fast track either a coding bootcamp graduate, self-learner, etc!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
If you feel like you're lacking experience but you have a good foundation, you can always try to apply for apprenticeships with more legitimate companies. Those type of apprenticeship/internship are actually paid positions.

A lot of big companies now days (see Microsoft's LEAP program or the newly instated Twitter apprenticeship) have these type of programs to fast tracker either a coding bootcamp graduate, self-learner, etc!

Thank you so much for this advice. I will check their websites and use my google-fu :)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
For-profit education training facilities make a lot of promises, and for the most part, they're best to avoid. I'm sure there are graduates who get good placement after or they get a great opportunity somewhere, but in general, you're going to hear people success stories more than the stories that don't work out, just like in other for-profit education fields... People who aren't successful in the programs tend to be embarrassed by it and don't share their experiences as much as people who are successful.

Also $35,000 for non-degree granting job program is expensive. Their payment program is suspicious. Companies cannot be profitable without a catch if they only bill you you "once you get a job," or only take a percentage of your tuition bill and then ... forgive your bill. That doesn't pass the smell test. If companies are saying up front that you don't have to pay them what the program costs, that they just forgive tuition after a certain amount of years, there's something fishy behind that.

I can't say anything about this specific company, but the "take classes now, pay part of paycheck later" model isn't a scam. It does rely on the school placing graduates.

Lambda School popularized the model for programmers, so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see other fields using it.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I can't say anything about this specific company, but the "take classes now, pay part of paycheck later" model isn't a scam. It does rely on the school placing graduates.

Lambda School popularized the model for programmers, so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see other fields using it.

I wish Acuitas was well known for quality because it sounded like a great opportunity if I really could get a 100k yearly position after 5 months intensive training. I want to get more hands on training/experience, not just VMs.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

But what happens if the economy turns and 2% unemployment in tech goes up to 8% unemployment? I feel like these programs may work when we're in a historically booming job market as we are right now, but if the job market slows or changes they seem like very risky gambles for non degree granting programs with still sizeable costs.

$35,000 for a 5 month program would be tantamount to attending the most expensive college in the United States as a full pay student.

Last edited:

PaulRobichaux

Aug 28, 2019
I wanted to weigh in here. I am a lifelong IT guy and developer, and I worked at Acuitus from 2009-2013, leaving to take a job that would let me move near my kids post-divorce. During that time span, I wrote content for the tutoring system, ran the school we conducted for the US Navy's basic IT rating, and helped start up the school we ran in Palo Alto for the US Veterans' Administration. I have no financial interest in the company but still have friends who work there. My background also includes stints teaching the Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) program at Microsoft, teaching for Global Knowledge, and running training workshops for Microsoft on Office deployment, Windows desktop deployment, and various parts of Office 365. I mention all this to help explain where I'm coming from. That's disclaimer #1. (I used my real name for this post so you're welcome to Google me, look me up on LinkedIn, etc.)

Disclaimer #2: I have no idea what tuition or financial arrangements Acuitus makes with current students. With that said, this isn't an internship; students don't work for Acuitus at any time during the process, although I know some prior students were hired as classroom instructors and sysadmins.

With that said, let me talk about the training program itself. The program is based on 4 types of instruction:
  • computer-based instruction. I'll talk more about the platform Acuitus has developed for this. It's pretty damn amazing.
  • Live instruction, intended to be a sort of study hall-- students learn new stuff from the tutoring software, then go to study hall to have that knowledge supplemented and their questions answered.
  • Labs, where the tutor actively guides students through a set of objectives using Socratic questioning and natural language. For example, in the Microsoft Exchange labs I wrote, students would be guided through tasks like moving transaction logs or databases to a new volume or starting and stopping message queues. Think of this like standing next to your little brother and telling him how to scramble eggs and make toast.
  • Exercises, which are scenario-based break/fix evolutions where the tutor can offer Socratic help but only on request. Think of this like going to sit on the sofa to play Xbox while your little brother makes you eggs and toast: you can help him if he needs it but you're not proactively helping.
When the program started, we had human experts teach live, then used the transcripts of their teaching and interaction with students to build the first set of tutoring. Without going into all the details, the tutoring engine uses some PFM to teach and watch the student's learning state. Labs and exercises are run on a set of VMs (for Windows and Linux) or simulators (for Cisco IOS) where there are essentially rootkits-- so the system sees every click or keystroke from the student. This enables really fine-grained help-- when the student gets stuck and clicks the "call tutor" button, the tutor can infer exactly what the student knows or is struggling with by analyzing what they've done. For example, if the exercise requires the student to rebuild a RAID array, and she hasn't opened the Disk Management console in Windows, the next question the tutor asks will be different than if it sees that she's opened Disk Management and made a change to the volume properties.

The curriculum starts with the very most basics: what's a CPU, what are the typical parts of PC hardware, binary and hex notation, etc. But very quickly it builds into basic networking (subnetting, ISO layers, ARP, DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, and so on) then into Windows desktop admin, then Windows server, then Cisco IOS. By the time students come out they have practical experience identifying and fixing live problems in a realistic simulated environment.

In addition to all this stuff, there's human-led soft-skills coaching for interviewing, resume prep, etc. This is important because a big part of the program is the placement assistance. When I was working there, our graduating class from the VA school went to GM, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, and a host of smaller companies. It does Acuitus no good to put people through the training unless they get jobs and can pay. Keep that in mind.

Is $35K expensive? Yes. I'm not going to try to argue that. Is it worth it? That's a decision that each individual student has to make. I will point out that the Acuitus approach offered enough provable benefits that DARPA spent a bunch of money extending it, the Navy adopted it for training their IT technicians, and the VA successfully used it to train and upskill a ton of under- or unemployed veterans.

So, on to a few of the points raised upthread:
  • yes, for-profit schools have a bad reputation in a lot of quarters, mostly deservedly.
  • no, Acuitus isn't a scam or an unpaid internship
  • the company's been around since 1999. They have a serious track record.
  • yes, the Acuitus program combines hands-on and classroom instruction in realistic environments, not just plinking about with VMs
  • yes, Acuitus offers placement assistance
  • no, this is not the typical "coding bootcamp" (which teach you about as much coding skill as assembling an IKEA desk will teach you about carpentry)
  • no, the fact that you have to apply for this school isn't unusual-- in the VA school we found that a percentage of applicants just didn't have the background or intellectual horsepower to do well in the school. In the typical for-profit model, you let in anyone who can pay because all you care about is the money; in this model (and many other similar programs), you want people to graduate and succeed so it pays to be more selective about who you admit.
Phew. That's probably enough. To anyone who made it this far, congrats!

Feb 21, 2021
I have been given permission by Acuitus to give an honest review of the Systems and Network Administration program as a student. Presently I am a student at Acuitus taking classes in their Systems and Network Administration program. I am halfway thru the program with plans to graduate this summer. This school is considered by many computer technology experts to be the BEST Systems and Network Administration course in America. I would say this is the TOP-GUN school for Systems and Network Administration education! Bill Gates has donated millions of dollars toward this program. The program uses AI technology where a robot tutor with preprogrammed responses is helping a student as they go thru the modules. If the robot tutor is not able to answer a question, a student can then click on a link to request help from a real live tutor who can answer you and have a real time conversation. The real tutors have either already gone thru the course as a student or are already Administrators and are very experienced and knowledgeable and can answer all your questions. This program is set up for people who are of higher than normal intelligence. The founder of the program and CEO, Dr. Newkirk will give a speech on the first day of class at the beginning of the course where he states that this fast paced program is set up for "smart" people. If you have experience in the computer technology/science field, it will give you a HUGE edge! Yes, they do say that you can be a beginner in Computer Science, but those people will struggle, unless you are a "smart" person. The Acuitus website says you get 5 years of experience and knowledge in 6 months. That is no joke!!!! The material is crammed into you at a very fast rate. Again this school is set up for "smart" people. This is an expensive school. But I have learned that the better schools charge more. You get what you pay for. The AI technology that is used for this educational technique is very expensive to create and set up and maintain. Students are allowed to be online according to their schedule, but the school wants you to spend 8 hours a day logged in and taking the classes Monday thru Saturday. The Acuitus servers are available from 5AM to 6PM PST during the week. Sunday is an optional day where you can review the modules. The servers don't allow students to move forward into new modules because the tutors are not available that day. It is a great day for reviewing the course content. That is the "meat" of the program.

As in every school there are also CONS to the program. What I will share with you is from my experience. As a student goes thru this program , the teaching personnel do not allow students to communicate with each other within the Acuitus school website. The website is NOT set up to have a personal private conversation where you can discuss concepts with each other. Dr. Newkirk, on the first day of class does state that there will be "studyhalls" every day or every other day where students and classmates can review the contents of the material, ask questions, and have real time conversations with other students. This is NOT true. It used to be set up that way but the program changed last year when COVID started, forcing the school into remote schooling sessions. A student will be lucky if they are in 2 studyhalls per unit. The units take anywhere between 2 weeks and 1 month to complete, depending on how fast you move thru the unit. All tests given at the end of the units are proctored and you will be required to obtain a web camera which will be used to monitor you as you take the unit tests. You will need to have a fast and very reliable internet connection to be able to watch the videos as you work thru the units. The school has an open "discussion channel" where students can post items of interest into the channel. But If a student makes an attempt to make conversation with another student about a module or the concepts of the module, that student will be locked out of the open discussion channel. The teachers don't want the students to help each other in any way with the material that is being learned. If a student asks the teacher for help in understanding the concepts, the teachers won't have a one-on-one tutoring session with them. If the student asks for suggestions for a resource that might shed some light on the concept, they are "sent to the Principles office" meaning they are referred to Dr. Newkirk. (Kinda like, "you have been a bad boy, go to the Principles office"). The instructors want you to work on your own. Again, this program is for "smart" people who pick up on the concepts quickly and easily. Most students that go thru course take longer than the advertised 5 months. You can graduate in 5 months if you are one of those exceptional people with photographic memories, "like my brother", and can retain everything. If you dont do well on the unit exams you are held back and must retake the exam. Also check employee and past employee reviews on the internet. There is very little info about Acuitus on the internet. People should know what it is like to be a student with Acuitus. I hope I have been helpful.

Feb 21, 2021
I wanted to weigh in here. I am a lifelong IT guy and developer, and I worked at Acuitus from 2009-2013, leaving to take a job that would let me move near my kids post-divorce. During that time span, I wrote content for the tutoring system, ran the school we conducted for the US Navy's basic IT rating, and helped start up the school we ran in Palo Alto for the US Veterans' Administration. I have no financial interest in the company but still have friends who work there. My background also includes stints teaching the Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) program at Microsoft, teaching for Global Knowledge, and running training workshops for Microsoft on Office deployment, Windows desktop deployment, and various parts of Office 365. I mention all this to help explain where I'm coming from. That's disclaimer #1. (I used my real name for this post so you're welcome to Google me, look me up on LinkedIn, etc.)

Disclaimer #2: I have no idea what tuition or financial arrangements Acuitus makes with current students. With that said, this isn't an internship; students don't work for Acuitus at any time during the process, although I know some prior students were hired as classroom instructors and sysadmins.

With that said, let me talk about the training program itself. The program is based on 4 types of instruction:
  • computer-based instruction. I'll talk more about the platform Acuitus has developed for this. It's pretty damn amazing.
  • Live instruction, intended to be a sort of study hall-- students learn new stuff from the tutoring software, then go to study hall to have that knowledge supplemented and their questions answered.
  • Labs, where the tutor actively guides students through a set of objectives using Socratic questioning and natural language. For example, in the Microsoft Exchange labs I wrote, students would be guided through tasks like moving transaction logs or databases to a new volume or starting and stopping message queues. Think of this like standing next to your little brother and telling him how to scramble eggs and make toast.
  • Exercises, which are scenario-based break/fix evolutions where the tutor can offer Socratic help but only on request. Think of this like going to sit on the sofa to play Xbox while your little brother makes you eggs and toast: you can help him if he needs it but you're not proactively helping.
When the program started, we had human experts teach live, then used the transcripts of their teaching and interaction with students to build the first set of tutoring. Without going into all the details, the tutoring engine uses some PFM to teach and watch the student's learning state. Labs and exercises are run on a set of VMs (for Windows and Linux) or simulators (for Cisco IOS) where there are essentially rootkits-- so the system sees every click or keystroke from the student. This enables really fine-grained help-- when the student gets stuck and clicks the "call tutor" button, the tutor can infer exactly what the student knows or is struggling with by analyzing what they've done. For example, if the exercise requires the student to rebuild a RAID array, and she hasn't opened the Disk Management console in Windows, the next question the tutor asks will be different than if it sees that she's opened Disk Management and made a change to the volume properties.

The curriculum starts with the very most basics: what's a CPU, what are the typical parts of PC hardware, binary and hex notation, etc. But very quickly it builds into basic networking (subnetting, ISO layers, ARP, DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, and so on) then into Windows desktop admin, then Windows server, then Cisco IOS. By the time students come out they have practical experience identifying and fixing live problems in a realistic simulated environment.

In addition to all this stuff, there's human-led soft-skills coaching for interviewing, resume prep, etc. This is important because a big part of the program is the placement assistance. When I was working there, our graduating class from the VA school went to GM, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, and a host of smaller companies. It does Acuitus no good to put people through the training unless they get jobs and can pay. Keep that in mind.

Is $35K expensive? Yes. I'm not going to try to argue that. Is it worth it? That's a decision that each individual student has to make. I will point out that the Acuitus approach offered enough provable benefits that DARPA spent a bunch of money extending it, the Navy adopted it for training their IT technicians, and the VA successfully used it to train and upskill a ton of under- or unemployed veterans.

So, on to a few of the points raised upthread:
  • yes, for-profit schools have a bad reputation in a lot of quarters, mostly deservedly.
  • no, Acuitus isn't a scam or an unpaid internship
  • the company's been around since 1999. They have a serious track record.
  • yes, the Acuitus program combines hands-on and classroom instruction in realistic environments, not just plinking about with VMs
  • yes, Acuitus offers placement assistance
  • no, this is not the typical "coding bootcamp" (which teach you about as much coding skill as assembling an IKEA desk will teach you about carpentry)
  • no, the fact that you have to apply for this school isn't unusual-- in the VA school we found that a percentage of applicants just didn't have the background or intellectual horsepower to do well in the school. In the typical for-profit model, you let in anyone who can pay because all you care about is the money; in this model (and many other similar programs), you want people to graduate and succeed so it pays to be more selective about who you admit.
Phew. That's probably enough. To anyone who made it this far, congrats!

Feb 21, 2021
5 minutes ago
I have been given permission by Acuitus to give an honest review of the Systems and Network Administration program as a student. Presently I am a student at Acuitus taking classes in their Systems and Network Administration program. I am halfway thru the program with plans to graduate this summer. This school is considered by many computer technology experts to be the BEST Systems and Network Administration course in America. I would say this is the TOP-GUN school for Systems and Network Administration education! Bill Gates has donated millions of dollars toward this program. The program uses AI technology where a robot tutor with preprogrammed responses is helping a student as they go thru the modules. If the robot tutor is not able to answer a question, a student can then click on a link to request help from a real live tutor who can answer you and have a real time conversation. The real tutors have either already gone thru the course as a student or are already Administrators and are very experienced and knowledgeable and can answer all your questions. This program is set up for people who are of higher than normal intelligence. The founder of the program and CEO, Dr. Newkirk will give a speech on the first day of class at the beginning of the course where he states that this fast paced program is set up for "smart" people. If you have experience in the computer technology/science field, it will give you a HUGE edge! Yes, they do say that you can be a beginner in Computer Science, but those people will struggle, unless you are a "smart" person. The Acuitus website says you get 5 years of experience and knowledge in 6 months. That is no joke!!!! The material is crammed into you at a very fast rate. Again this school is set up for "smart" people. This is an expensive school. But I have learned that the better schools charge more. You get what you pay for. The AI technology that is used for this educational technique is very expensive to create and set up and maintain. Students are allowed to be online according to their schedule, but the school wants you to spend 8 hours a day logged in and taking the classes Monday thru Saturday. The Acuitus servers are available from 5AM to 6PM PST during the week. Sunday is an optional day where you can review the modules. The servers don't allow students to move forward into new modules because the tutors are not available that day. It is a great day for reviewing the course content. That is the "meat" of the program.

As in every school there are also CONS to the program. What I will share with you is from my experience. As a student goes thru this program , the teaching personnel do not allow students to communicate with each other within the Acuitus school website. The website is NOT set up to have a personal private conversation where you can discuss concepts with each other. Dr. Newkirk, on the first day of class does state that there will be "studyhalls" every day or every other day where students and classmates can review the contents of the material, ask questions, and have real time conversations with other students. This is NOT true. It used to be set up that way but the program changed last year when COVID started, forcing the school into remote schooling sessions. A student will be lucky if they are in 2 studyhalls per unit. The units take anywhere between 2 weeks and 1 month to complete, depending on how fast you move thru the unit. All tests given at the end of the units are proctored and you will be required to obtain a web camera which will be used to monitor you as you take the unit tests. You will need to have a fast and very reliable internet connection to be able to watch the videos as you work thru the units. The school has an open "discussion channel" where students can post items of interest into the channel. But If a student makes an attempt to make conversation with another student about a module or the concepts of the module, that student will be locked out of the open discussion channel. The teachers don't want the students to help each other in any way with the material that is being learned. If a student asks the teacher for help in understanding the concepts, the teachers won't have a one-on-one tutoring session with them. If the student asks for suggestions for a resource that might shed some light on the concept, they are "sent to the Principles office" meaning they are referred to Dr. Newkirk. (Kinda like, "you have been a bad boy, go to the Principles office"). The instructors want you to work on your own. Again, this program is for "smart" people who pick up on the concepts quickly and easily. Most students that go thru course take longer than the advertised 5 months. You can graduate in 5 months if you are one of those exceptional people with photographic memories, "like my brother", and can retain everything. If you dont do well on the unit exams you are held back and must retake the exam. Also check employee and past employee reviews on the internet. There is very little info about Acuitus on the internet. People should know what it is like to be a student with Acuitus. I hope I have been helpful.

Feb 21, 2021
User Banned (permanent): marketing account

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
This kind of bot malfunctioning sure isn't looking great for a school that charges you to read their Internet for Dummies books.

Status
Not open for further replies.