• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I was never really interested in the M line, mostly because that rangefinder concept is nothing I am used to or need for my lousy way of composing anyway.
The Q line though? Damn I was sooo close to get a Q2 after I tried one in the shop. Lord give me strength...

Oct 25, 2017
Oh! For some reason I thought this shot was indoors. Still, great gif all the same.
Yeah the Z9 is one heck of a camera. I feel like it was a lot easier shooting this on that camera, than any camera I currently own. Maybe the A7RIV could've done a decent job with it, but between the burst rate and the tracking on the Z9 it definitely did a lot of the work for me.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
That's a bigger fan bump than I anticipated, but the performance it gives sounds worth it if video is your main thing. I think it's a pretty attractive option for the price.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bigger fan bump than I anticipated, but the performance it gives sounds worth it if video is your main thing. I think it's a pretty attractive option for the price.
Yeah it sits perfectly between an R5 and C70, I'm just annoyed it has no IBIS, but I'm really not in the market for this, but it seems great for those that need it, especially wedding videographers (these guys can never shut up).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I thought I could ask here

Anyone knows if it's a good idea to use a gimbal like the DJI OM 5 with an iPhone for skiing? Nothing crazy, just following the kids, stuff like that, when my hands freeze in no time as I have to control the phone.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought I could ask here

Anyone knows if it's a good idea to use a gimbal like the DJI OM 5 with an iPhone for skiing? Nothing crazy, just following the kids, stuff like that, when my hands freeze in no time as I have to control the phone.
Which iPhone? Those work well with the standard size ones, but not the Max

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey CAM-Era folks, I have an A7C and was wondering if it's compatible with the elderkrone systems. I'm saving over the next few months to buy a slide pro with headplus bundle but I don't see a7C in the compatibility list. Is it just an error on their part or is there some technical reason the a7c isn't supported

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Was set on finally grabbing a Sony Alpha 6400 for the month long New Zealand vacation at the start of 2022, which didn't happen because of Rona. NZ is of the table for a long while but I'm still thirsty for the 6400. I still rock my NEX6 and it's enough for my casual use cases but i want more :).
But holy shit, sony and their cam hardware is always so stable in price or even gets more expensive (semiconductor thingy).

Eyeing the kit with the 18-135mm. I have the SEL50F18 and a 30mm sigma and the default kit . Which is enough for me but the 18-135 seems like a good Allrounder for vacations.

Next vacation is still month off but Amazon is teasing me with their own 12 month payment (no interest)... Although the cam isn't available atm anyway.

Someone talk me out of it. The better autofocus/eyetracking alone is what i want most, since i take a lot if pics of my quirky kids.

I'm also eying the used market but the last offers in my area all had a lot of shots on the shutter.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Recently picked up a Canon M5 and a few lenses after exclusively using my phone for taking pictures for over a decade. A lot to learn and get used to but I'm enjoying it so far.

Oct 25, 2017

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about the R series but my A7C has less issues nailing eye focus with animals than it does with humans.(and it's pretty solid with humans)

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about the R series but my A7C has less issues nailing eye focus with animals than it does with humans.(and it's pretty solid with humans)
I have an RIV. I have that thing in expanded spot, I aim for the eyes and there are definitely times where that thing is going to ignore the eyes and just connect with the fur in front of the eyes. I have like 0 interest in the A7C.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an RIV. I have that thing in expanded spot, I aim for the eyes and there are definitely times where that thing is going to ignore the eyes and just connect with the fur in front of the eyes. I have like 0 interest in the A7C.
Oh haha, wasn't trying to convince u to switch(downgrade) to the A7C. Was just sharing my experience based on your prior comment

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about the A7C just "triggers" me. It's a design philosophy that I'm not too wild about. Good camera it's just literally nothing I'd enjoy either picking up or looking through.
I feel you. It's my first camera and I wanted something small and was initially eyeing APS-C cameras and that's how I came into learning about the A7C. I do see the appeal of the extra custom wheel and better Viewfinder now, but at the time I barely even knew fully how shutter speed and F stop affected an image other than the amount of light being let in, so a better viewfinder and extra custom wheel didn't seem to important to me lol. I do think I'll probably go for an R series camera next because I've begun to enjoy taking photos a lot more and would like the extra MP count to work with

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you. It's my first camera and I wanted something small and was initially eyeing APS-C cameras and that's how I came into learning about the A7C. I do see the appeal of the extra custom wheel and better Viewfinder now, but at the time I barely even knew fully how shutter speed and F stop affected an image other than the amount of light being let in, so a better viewfinder and extra custom wheel didn't seem to important to me lol. I do think I'll probably go for an R series camera next because I've begun to enjoy taking photos a lot more and would like the extra MP count to work with
Yeah the more cameras you own the more you start to realize what you do and don't like. For a rangefinder styled body I'd go straight toward a Fuji X-Pro camera, sensor size differences not even weighing in on it. Full frame ended up gravitating back towards Nikon with their Z cameras. I basically don't touch a camera without an AF joystick or iso button.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If I were rich, I'd get an X100V as my second camera. For now, I have just the A7S III and love it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the more cameras you own the more you start to realize what you do and don't like. For a rangefinder styled body I'd go straight toward a Fuji X-Pro camera, sensor size differences not even weighing in on it. Full frame ended up gravitating back towards Nikon with their Z cameras. I basically don't touch a camera without an AF joystick or iso button.
I don't even know what these are haha. I'm trying to focus on getting away from FOMO of other brand features and just focusing on enjoying what I have. Although I do want to buy a cheap telephoto eventually. Taking a trip to Alberta for the mountains and wildlife and regretting that I only own an 85mm as my longest focal length. Going to try putting it in APSC mode for a bit more reach but it definitely would be more clutch if I had something with more reach. All my friends who shoot are in the Canon ecosystem so I can't even borrow their stuff

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Could always just rent a lens? I see a lot of people who buy expensive telephoto zooms and then just post them for sale six months later when they realize they barely use it.

I think the A7C can be set up for touchpad AF select which is often a good substitution for a joystick. I actually prefer it on Panasonic cameras because their implementation is so good.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what these are haha. I'm trying to focus on getting away from FOMO of other brand features and just focusing on enjoying what I have. Although I do want to buy a cheap telephoto eventually. Taking a trip to Alberta for the mountains and wildlife and regretting that I only own an 85mm as my longest focal length. Going to try putting it in APSC mode for a bit more reach but it definitely would be more clutch if I had something with more reach. All my friends who shoot are in the Canon ecosystem so I can't even borrow their stuff
Your camera is only 24mp, don't do that. Get either the Sigma 150-600DN or Tamron 150-500 if you can ever find the money for that.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could always just rent a lens? I see a lot of people who buy expensive telephoto zooms and then just post them for sale six months later when they realize they barely use it.

I think the A7C can be set up for touchpad AF select which is often a good substitution for a joystick. I actually prefer it on Panasonic cameras because their implementation is so good.
Can't really dedicate the budget for renting. I know I can justify the cost over the long run but I don't think I will buy a lens like that for at least another couple years.

Your camera is only 24mp, don't do that. Get either the Sigma 150-600DN or Tamron 150-500 if you can ever find the money for that.
I don't have the spare cash to afford another lens in that price range right now. Just recently splurged on the Sony 20mm 1.8G for making videos with(and I'm loving taking photos with it as well). Gotta save slowly for the next purchase which probably won't be for another year.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the spare cash to afford another lens in that price range right now. Just recently splurged on the Sony 20mm 1.8G for making videos with(and I'm loving taking photos with it as well). Gotta save slowly for the next purchase which probably won't be for another year.
Then yeah now's the time to do some research, figure out what focal lengths you need in the lens and plan accordingly. Even I try not to buy things randomly without figuring it out first. This stuff is expensive and buying things I hate is never in my game plan.

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
Let's derail this thread for a second.

Do you people know any other company than Lomography that is producing fun/interesting analog point and shoots in this day and age? I don't consider a disposable camera an option. Or do you think I should hunt for a used oldie?
I want to make this a part of a (bigger) present, so I don't want to spend too much. Absolute threshold is a 80 Euro.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Let's derail this thread for a second.

Do you people know any other company than Lomography that is producing fun/interesting analog point and shoots in this day and age? I don't consider a disposable camera an option. Or do you think I should hunt for a used oldie?
I want to make this a part of a (bigger) present, so I don't want to spend too much. Absolute threshold is a 80 Euro.
There's some popular easily obtainable and affordable ones - Ilford for example:
www.shopmoment.com

Ilford Sprite 35-II Reusable 35mm Film Camera - Black (2005152)

Dip your toes into film photography with the Ilford Sprite 35-II! A really fun and affordable way to start experimenting with 35mm film

Seems neat:

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
There's some popular easily obtainable and affordable ones - Ilford for example:
www.shopmoment.com

Ilford Sprite 35-II Reusable 35mm Film Camera - Black (2005152)

Dip your toes into film photography with the Ilford Sprite 35-II! A really fun and affordable way to start experimenting with 35mm film

Seems neat:

Thank you for the suggestion!

The video you posted, sent me down the rabbit hole of cheap plastic cameras and I learned that they are basically all the same cheap crappy plastic thingy. Same specs, same parts. So I'll probably just go with the cheapest option over here, which is the "AGFA" version of the the little camera. Even tough I like the looks of the Ilford more, but I just can't justify the added 10 Euro. I'd rather invest the money in some film.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thank you for the suggestion!

The video you posted, sent me down the rabbit hole of cheap plastic cameras and I learned that they are basically all the same cheap crappy plastic thingy. Same specs, same parts. So I'll probably just go with the cheapest option over here, which is the "AGFA" version of the the little camera. Even tough I like the looks of the Ilford more, but I just can't justify the added 10 Euro. I'd rather invest the money in some film.
I'd definitely say pick the cheapest one you are willing to play with, then if you build a habit you can invest more if you want.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I bought a 4x pack of the Godox TL60 tube lights a few months ago. Nifty lights, but they felt a bit short for any on-camera, diagetic use.

Q3qJqmG.png

Today, Godox announced ~4' long TL120 lights.

twjR2Hm.png

Going to try and sell my 4x pack of TL60s. I got them for a great price, brand new, and if I can sell them without losing 10%, I'll go ahead and get the TL120 kit. 46" is so much more useful for music video/Miami Vice style lighting than 29.5".

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 4x pack of the Godox TL60 tube lights a few months ago. Nifty lights, but they felt a bit short for any on-camera, diagetic use.

Q3qJqmG.png

Today, Godox announced ~4' long TL120 lights.

twjR2Hm.png

Goign to try and sell my 4x pack of TL60s. I got them for a great price, brand new, and if I can sell them without losing 10%, I'll go ahead and get the TL120 kit. 46" is so much more useful for music video/Miami Vice style lighting than 29.5".
What were you trying to use these for? These are like cool light effects, not something to replace a strobe.

Oct 25, 2017
Video productions, never photography. Music videos, interviews, effects lighting, etc.

Example (not mine):

There's so much geling and constant light use in the first 10 seconds of this...people really false advertise these tube things don't they. Ok, now it's getting to the part that's relevant. I think even those are probably purposely lit or what's in the video kicks off more light than what it was that you bought.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
There's so much geling and constant light use in the first 10 seconds of this...people really false advertise these tube things don't they. Ok, now it's getting to the part that's relevant.

Hey Jaded Photographer: fuck off.

I'm not an idiot. I literally have twenty years of experience in this field. I'm being flown to London in 4x weeks to shoot for a company. I know there are gels being used, but there are clearly, plain-as-day, tube lights in this video.

cATLq6N.png

Why are you such a constant asshole in this thread? I mean, honestly? I mean this from the bottom of my heart: please stop posting in this thread if you're only going to insult people and humble-brag about your mediocre skills. Re-read my post and tell me where I said I intended to use it for strobe. I literally posted I was going to use them for on-camera, diagetic effects lights like in the exact clip I posted.

Work on your reading comprehension and stop posting in this thread so much.

OqRwcFj.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Jaded Photographer: fuck off.

I'm not an idiot. I literally have twenty years of experience in this field. I'm being flown to London in 4x weeks to shoot for a company. I know there are gels being used, but there are clearly, plain-as-day, tube lights in this video.

cATLq6N.png

Why are you such a constant asshole in this thread? I mean, honestly? I mean this from the bottom of my heart: please stop posting in this thread if you're only going to insult people are humble-brag about your mediocre skills. Re-read my post and tell me where I said I intended to use it for strobe. Oh, wait, hah- I literally posted I was going to use them for on-camera, diagetic effects lights like in the exact clip I posted.

Work on your reading comprehension and stop posting in this thread so much.

OqRwcFj.png
Nobody told you to take what I wrote as me trying to explain this to you. I'm basically typing what I'm watching to explain to myself what's going on with the video since I honestly don't watch music videos and don't light stuff like that. I don't know what you intend to do. I don't use these lights so I'm trying to figure out how they work.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Nobody told you to take what I wrote as me trying to explain this to you. I'm basically typing what I'm watching to explain to myself what's going on with the video since I honestly don't watch music videos and don't light stuff like that. I don't know what you intend to do. I don't use these lights so I'm trying to figure out how they work.

Do you ever think anything you don't post?

Stop trying to coerce every post in this thread as you correcting or coaching people. Nobody is asking for it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Official Staff Communication
Please take it down a notch everyone. Also a reminder we have an ignore member function.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Official Staff Communication
Please take it down a notch everyone. Also a reminder we have an ignore member function.

I'm only repeating what others in this very thread have had to say over the years, sometimes via post and other times via private DM. Jaded Photographer is downright insulting and deserves clap-backs 🤷

You're right, though. Time to make good use of the ignore function.

There's no sense in trying to discuss camera equipment with someone who is going to go for passive aggressive commentary each and every time someone posts.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't even know how I come off. If I'm that much of a problem somebody could've said something to my face without just cursing me out.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I honestly don't even know how I come off. If I'm that much of a problem somebody could've said something to my face without just cursing me out.

You have been told numerous times in this thread since 2017 by me and other members. It's down to a running joke- people literally DM one another about your condescending spam in this thread.

It's not news. I've literally told you in this thread multiple times over the years that you're being arrogant and insulting, so please spare this thread further pearl-clutching.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ableist Slur
You have been told numerous times in this thread since 2017 by me and other members. It's down to a running joke- people literally DM one another about your condescending spam in this thread.

It's not news. I've literally told you in this thread multiple times over the years that you're being arrogant and insulting, so please spare this thread further pearl-clutching.
I'm borderline socially retarded so I apologize if I either didn't get the hint or come off as an overly sarcastic dick (because I am an overly sarcastic dick). Doesn't mean I'm trying to be mean spirited or insulting, I'm just not the best at wording things in a sensitive manner. I try to offer an opinion, clearly it's so off base that it pisses people off.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm borderline socially retarded so I apologize if I either didn't get the hint or come off as an overly sarcastic dick (because I am an overly sarcastic dick). Doesn't mean I'm trying to be mean spirited or insulting, I'm just not the best at wording things in a sensitive manner. I try to offer an opinion, clearly it's so off base that it pisses people off.

Using an ablest slur at the start of an "I'm just a dick!" apology isn't a great look.

It's clear you lack a base maturity, so I see no reason not to ignore your posts from here on out.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017
Really want to check out the new Olympus OM-1, interested to see what the autofocus improvements are like for animals. Curious if they will lower the price on the Em1 now as well.