• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else in here wish YouTubers would stop comparing the A7RIV to a medium format camera? They're not exactly the same thing and there's more the MF than overall pixel density. The two formats don't even have the same DOF.

Eh, it's just like APS-C vs. full frame (or even m43 vs full frame). They *can* look the same, but the bigger format has potential for less noise/shallower depth of field/wider angles of view assuming you can attach the right glass. I think I saw a video speculating that the A7RIV's sensor is just a cut-down version of the one in the GFX 100 since the pixel pitch is the same (3.76μm).

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's just like APS-C vs. full frame (or even m43 vs full frame). They *can* look the same, but the bigger format has potential for less noise/shallower depth of field/wider angles of view assuming you can attach the right glass. I think I saw a video speculating that the A7RIV's sensor is just a cut-down version of the one in the GFX 100 since the pixel pitch is the same (3.76μm).
They don't even shoot in the same aspect ratios, but whatever.
Lol acting like those youtubers care about anything more than MPs
I just see them as exactly what they are, stuff like this just annoys me. Next thing you know these guys will be like, "It's just like large format."

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't even shoot in the same aspect ratios, but whatever.

I just see them as exactly what they are, stuff like this just annoys me. Next thing you know these guys will be like, "It's just like large format."

The A7R IV actually offers 4:3, although it drops the resolution to 54MP. Similarly the GFX 100 can shoot in 3:2 at 90.5 MP. Point taken about native aspect ratios, though.

Oct 25, 2017
The A7R IV actually offers 4:3, although it drops the resolution to 54MP. Similarly the GFX 100 can shoot in 3:2 at 90.5 MP. Point taken about native aspect ratios, though.
I would really like to see this compared to a GFX. Granted neither of these are what I'd call event camera bodies, but for portrait, product and landscape purposes.

Nov 11, 2017
Anybody else in here wish YouTubers would stop comparing the A7RIV to a medium format camera? They're not exactly the same thing and there's more the MF than overall pixel density. The two formats don't even have the same DOF.
I would really like to see this compared to a GFX. Granted neither of these are what I'd call event camera bodies, but for portrait, product and landscape purposes.
Makes sense.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure we'll see plenty of comparisons once the A7R IV is out, but my bet is that a portrait taken with the GF 110mm f/2.0 wide open would come out looking almost exactly the same as a portrait taken with the GM 85mm at f/1.6. There's lots of comparisons that show the GFX 50S/50R not really being an improvement compared to A7R III/D850 and that even had pixel density advantage, which the GFX100 does not.

With that said, I totally want a GFX 100 :p.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we'll see plenty of comparisons once the A7R IV is out, but my bet is that a portrait taken with the GF 110mm f/2.0 wide open would come out looking almost exactly the same as a portrait taken with the GM 85mm at f/1.6. There's lots of comparisons that show the GFX 50S/50R not really being an improvement compared to A7R III/D850 and that even had pixel density advantage, which the GFX100 does not.

With that said, I totally want a GFX 100 :p.
So pretty much it just turns into a buzzword soundbite thing then. Also MF conversion just get weird to me. I'd love a GFX, but at the same time I could probably put a down payment on a condo for that.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So pretty much it just turns into a buzzword soundbite thing then. Also MF conversion just get weird to me. I'd love a GFX, but at the same time I could probably put a down payment on a condo for that.

Seriously...

Even the $3500 I paid for my A9 (used) was a tough pill to swallow. I could never justify spending $10K on a camera unless my financial situation dramatically changed.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's best to buy these things used. GFX50S/R used prices are around 3K-4K now, but I just don't think technically they are what I'd be happy with. I'd expect in 3 years the GFX100 will be used around 5K as well, when the new body hits. So you wait a bit, but if it it's suits your purposes, you get a badass camera. My limit is 3K for a body. The youtube videos are more about getting hits and making money on people clicking the links. They will try to hype you to make purchases, that's how they make money, don't forget that.

Oct 25, 2017
It's best to buy these things used. GFX50S/R used prices are around 3K-4K now, but I just don't think technically they are what I'd be happy with. I'd expect in 3 years the GFX100 will be used around 5K as well, when the new body hits. So you wait a bit, but if it it's suits your purposes, you get a badass camera. My limit is 3K for a body. The youtube videos are more about getting hits and making money on people clicking the links. They will try to hype you to make purchases, that's how they make money, don't forget that.
Yeah I know exactly how the affiliate links system works. I pretty much have a 2K limit for bodies currently and I mostly buy used gear unless I can trade in. I'm not making another trade in until the A7IV comes out and I'm trading in the A7RII for it unless that's not that much better than the current A7III. The GFX is definitely a wait and see camera though the next batches of the 50S/R series with PDAF would be good.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
61 is probably the top end for megapixels in a full frame camera. I'd imagine that you would eventually see diminishing returns for the added pixels.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used my new 70-200 a lot the past days, and with it the ability to switch to aps-c / super 35 mode to get even more reach... First time I actually thought more mpixel would be really great. Having 26mpixel while cropped in would be super helpful/awesome.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used my new 70-200 a lot the past days, and with it the ability to switch to aps-c / super 35 mode to get even more reach... First time I actually thought more mpixel would be really great. Having 26mpixel while cropped in would be super helpful/awesome.

Yeah, the value of the A7R IV being able to turn into a very capable 26MP APS-C camera is pretty outstanding.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Hi yall, wanna ask any of you where the best option is to trade in an A7ii, cause I wanna upgrade to an A7iii but I don't have that much cash to put down fully for it. I wanna know if there's a spot where I can trade in an A7ii with a Nintendo switch plus maybe some cash (around $200) on top if anything to sweeten deal.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi yall, wanna ask any of you where the best option is to trade in an A7ii, cause I wanna upgrade to an A7iii but I don't have that much cash to put down fully for it. I wanna know if there's a spot where I can trade in an A7ii with a Nintendo switch plus maybe some cash (around $200) on top if anything to sweeten deal.
I believe B&H will take a Switch, better off selling the stuff on Ebay or something though depending on what you want to put down for it because you'll probably get 300-400 max on the A7II and probably 100 out of the Switch. I think the math is like 70% of retail value, used A7II's are ranging from $827-$877 on their site so do the math from there.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I think my biggest complaint with Fuji dials is they get moved around a lot during events. Half is my fault because I don't always lock them and they really just rub against me while they're on my strap. The biggest offender seems to be the ISO dial. Also it's either from age or just the was it's always been but the rear dial click in on the X-T2 is hella mushy.

Oct 25, 2017
I always lock ISO to either Auto, 200, or 800, depending on what I'm expecting.
I would not auto iso these things for event flash photography. Sometimes I do have to adjust it. Other times when I don't lock the dial it's just magically at 1600 and I don't notice at times. Also the AF point layout on the X-T2 is all kinds of limited. Put that thing accidentally where you have contrast detect points and stuff all of a sudden is just not in focus. No wonder why when I use the A7RII the X-T3 is my flash camera.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I have no knowledge of camera tech, so any suggestions or general information would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a camera to shoot relatively high quality footage for video production. This will be for product videography for YouTube / review videos. It's important that I can achieve 4K resolution, 60 FPS preferred but 30 FPS would be OK if that's all I can manage in my budget.

Budget: $500, perfectly fine buying used, would strongly prefer not going over.

Form factor: Doesn't matter much. Smaller is nice for storage purposes, but I'll be shooting in my home so I don't mind heavy cameras.

Subjects: I'm shooting products, mainly computer parts, but primarily VIDEO FOOTAGE, not very much still imagery.

Photography knowledge: Minimal, but I do like playing with videos and photos on my phone and took a photography class as an elective in high school...

Upgrade plans: I'd like to shoot 8K in, say, 10 years. But realistically no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

I'm a complete newbie on this, so thanks in advance for any help.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the RX100VII is coming. Not sure what it really needs to add to the VI but the rumours says it has even bigger improved AF and 20fps no blackout shooting. Then again it will likely come with a sticker shock price where you're better off with an entry APS-C camera.

I have no knowledge of camera tech, so any suggestions or general information would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a camera to shoot relatively high quality footage for video production. This will be for product videography for YouTube / review videos. It's important that I can achieve 4K resolution, 60 FPS preferred but 30 FPS would be OK if that's all I can manage in my budget.

Budget: $500, perfectly fine buying used, would strongly prefer not going over.

Form factor: Doesn't matter much. Smaller is nice for storage purposes, but I'll be shooting in my home so I don't mind heavy cameras.

Subjects: I'm shooting products, mainly computer parts, but primarily VIDEO FOOTAGE, not very much still imagery.

Photography knowledge: Minimal, but I do like playing with videos and photos on my phone and took a photography class as an elective in high school...

Upgrade plans: I'd like to shoot 8K in, say, 10 years. But realistically no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

I'm a complete newbie on this, so thanks in advance for any help.

I'd probably get a used Panasonic G85 with your budget.
4K @ 30p, no recording limit, mic input for external microphones.

If you can wait a few months, the price might drop a little more since the G95 came out.

KEH (Used) $499.99 Excellent Plus

eBay (New) $459.99

You would have to up your budget to $1200 or more, for something like a Panasonic GH5, or Fujifilm X-T3 for 4K @ 60p.

Last edited:

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'd probably get a used Panasonic G85 with your budget.
4K @ 30p, no recording limit, mic input for external microphones.

If you can wait a few months, the price might drop a little more since the G95 came out.

KEH (Used) $499.99 Excellent Plus

eBay (New) $459.99

You would have to up your budget to $1200 or more, for something like a Panasonic GH5, or Fujifilm X-T3 for 4K @ 60p.

Your KEH link seems borked, but thanks, I appreciate your help/suggestion! I saw the Panasonic G85 and it looks promising. Would I need, or would it be recommended, to buy a specific lens for my use-case (videography of products maybe inches to a few feet away)?

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
RX100 VII with A9's af/no black out @ 20fps huh

$1200 though. lol

But at least it has a mic jack! Its a shame about the price, because video real time Eye AF and mic jack makes it the perfect vlogging camera that I've been looking for, oh well, I'll stick to my RX100 IV until this thing goes used for around $600

They took out the built ND filter as well, Sony giveth and Sony taketh 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the RX100V already did 24 FPS with AF/AE. Sure, probably not 60 AF/AE calculations per second, but it works alright for movement in good light. Real time tracking and real time eye AF is a great addition, but the depth of field is so deep with these 1" sensor apertures anyway that not nailing the eye isn't going to matter much as long as your AF is hitting somewhere on the subject's body.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel they know who they are targeting with the RX100VII. It's a great piece of tech for sure, but it doesn't do anything particularly useful compared to the VI? And at this price point who's buying it? Feel like they are setting up themselves for a commercial failure. And weird how almost all of the RX100 models remain in the market. They better released a cheaper model as a succesor to the VA and cut everything below except for the III/IV at a very low price.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
A follow-up question, maybe for KanaKirinSupli or someone else. If I were to buy a Panasonic G85, it requires I attach a lens of some sort to get any reasonable image, right? Using it "as-is" without adding a lens would generally give me a bad image if I'm understanding this right. Not necessarily making a purchase right now, but just trying to get my bearings on total costs.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
You can't use a ILC without a lens unless you want to take a picture of an undefined blurry beige cloud.

I'd recommend doing some research on what different kinds of lenses are used for, or maybe buy the camera with a cheap kit zoom to get your bearings.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
A follow-up question, maybe for KanaKirinSupli or someone else. If I were to buy a Panasonic G85, it requires I attach a lens of some sort to get any reasonable image, right? Using it "as-is" without adding a lens would generally give me a bad image if I'm understanding this right. Not necessarily making a purchase right now, but just trying to get my bearings on total costs.

You can't use it without lens, so yes, it is required 100% but I think the G85 comes already with a kit lens so it shouldn't be really a problem, however for the use you want I strongly recommend a macro lens, what these lenses do in short is that they allow you to take images very close to your subject

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
You can't use a ILC without a lens unless you want to take a picture of an undefined blurry beige cloud.

I'd recommend doing some research on what different kinds of lenses are used for, or maybe buy the camera with a cheap kit zoom to get your bearings.
You can't use it without lens, so yes, it is required 100% but I think the G85 comes already with a kit lens so it shouldn't be really a problem, however for the use you want I strongly recommend a macro lens, what these lenses do in short is that they allow you to take images very close to your subject

Thank you both, that is what I thought. I'm familiar with a macro lens mostly due to the wee bit I learned about photography from high school (and the crappy "macro" function on my cell phone camera) - and with that limited knowledge in mind, I agree that a macro lens seems ideal for my purpose.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it takes at least $1000 or so to get a camera that is markedly improved over a modern smartphone for simple video stuff, especially if it's just YouTube talking head/product shot stuff.

The links I provided were with the G85, "Body only".

I recommended the two macro lenses based on your intended use.

You can get the Panasonic 12-32mm, or 12-60mm kit lenses for general usage. They're not hard to get cheap.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, wanting to drop in and ask real quick what are the alternatives nowadays to Lightroom? I still have my Lightroom 4 install, but I've been on support with Adobe for like half an hour trying to get the lastest file to update it to 4.4.1 since they've killed all the update files on their site for LR4 apparently. Obviously, LR4 still works, but if I get a new camera I'll have to upgrade just for RAW support.

Does anyone have any opinions on what's good to migrate to nowadays if the idea of paying a monthly fee to Adobe isn't palatable?

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, wanting to drop in and ask real quick what are the alternatives nowadays to Lightroom? I still have my Lightroom 4 install, but I've been on support with Adobe for like half an hour trying to get the lastest file to update it to 4.4.1 since they've killed all the update files on their site for LR4 apparently. Obviously, LR4 still works, but if I get a new camera I'll have to upgrade just for RAW support.

Does anyone have any opinions on what's good to migrate to nowadays if the idea of paying a monthly fee to Adobe isn't palatable?
Capture One. Outside some annoyances its a good, and in parts more feature rich, version of Lightroom. Comes in cheaper Manufacturer specific versions and can be bought in full or monthly fee... I got the Sony Pro version under some promotion for 80Euro.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I use Darktable which has the advantage of being free. There are a ton of Raw converters out there now and I've done the trial on most of them and none really feel worth the money for my workflow needs.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
The links I provided were with the G85, "Body only".

I recommended the two macro lenses based on your intended use.

You can get the Panasonic 12-32mm, or 12-60mm kit lenses for general usage. They're not hard to get cheap.

Thanks for the follow-up. Everyone here has been very helpful. I'm going to spend the weekend thinking on this all, but it looks like I can get what I need for $700 or less all said and done. Now I just need to be 100% confident that I will take/have the time to learn how to use the camera and lighting well enough to make this a worthwhile investment.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
The dedicated (video)camera market is a relatively small market compared to the smartphone sales of popular models these days, and the still high R&D costs and production costs of a single unit means prices will always be relatively high for smartphones that have similar performance at first sight. I don't think there's anything worthwile out there under the $500, and even $700 is somewhat of a stretch. It all depends on what you want and how much time you would want to invest in it. Five years ago I bought a RX100III for €700 and it still takes better pictures than my smartphone, but you'd have to know what you are doing before getting the best out of it. Smartphones definitely have usability and speediness of interface going for them.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking about switching to Capture One as Lightroom Classic performance continues to suck. I really should suck it up one day and make the jump, but the workflow differences can be frustrating. Lightroom Classic is just so easy to use for me, but goddamn if isn't sluggish as hell.