• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I was contemplating making a new topic but I did a search and perhaps this is the best place. Hope that I could get some reactions soon though, as I want to buy today or tomorrow.

So, I want to start taking photography more seriously. I travel a lot (sometimes for work), and also as my work as a journalist I have to take photos a lot. While my bread and butter is written articles, I often make a few photos as well... with my iPhone. I know, I know. I want to make better photos and also make some good pics when I'm travelling, especially of landscapes and achitecture.

So I'm looking for an affordable cam that also makes great pictures.

I've been contemplating these two:
the Canon EOS 200D
and
the Nikon D5600

Both seem pretty good for beginners and as far as I read both don't have really big drawbacks. However, the Nikon is a few hundred euros more expensive than the Canon, which makes me think I'll go for the Canon... but I want to make sure that I won't regret it.

I know close to nothing about equipment though, so ANY advise would be welcome. Alternatives in the same price range are welcome too. Thanks in advance folks!

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
God damn it, I have to buy a new flash for my A7III as well? My current speed light fires on TTL but not very bright. Back to manual mode flash i guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't cameras come with customizable firmwares, where I can edit the menus and options that I just will NEVER want out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
90% of the time I don't touch anything after setting the camera to "M" unless I'm doing something video related and I need to change it to 24p, I guess I really don't do too much other than adjusting the AF mode.

Oct 25, 2017
What, you don't like a mode dial for 'waterfall at 7pm at 30° latitude at 70F conditions' scene select?
Like, I get not being able to remove stuff from within the UI, because well you'd need to make a UI for deleting UI options. But I should totally be able to connect my camera up to a PC Program that lets me remove options entirely. I think that'd be really cool for really slimming a camera down into just what you need.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I get not being able to remove stuff from within the UI, because well you'd need to make a UI for deleting UI options. But I should totally be able to connect my camera up to a PC Program that lets me remove options entirely. I think that'd be really cool for really slimming a camera down into just what you need.

I'm not sure what it'd offer more than just providing an option for a customisable menu instead of never being able to access it from the camera. Not like menu options take up lots of space / resources.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of cameras allow for full custom menus/custom Fn or Q menus, actually been one of the really impressive thing about the Sony actually. I see why people shit on the default menus, but once you make your own, you'll never go digging through theirs again.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
HI Camera ERA!

I have a Sony 6300 and am interested in taking macro photos of small plants and insects. I have a budget of around $300 - $400 and a bunch of Amazon credit.

I was looking at the Sony SEL30M35 30mm f/3.5 e-mount Macro Fixed Lens

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054I54JU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&psc=1

Is this a good starter lens? It certainly fits the budget. It seems like it is an older design. Any rumors of a replacement just around the corner?

Thanks!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was contemplating making a new topic but I did a search and perhaps this is the best place. Hope that I could get some reactions soon though, as I want to buy today or tomorrow.

So, I want to start taking photography more seriously. I travel a lot (sometimes for work), and also as my work as a journalist I have to take photos a lot. While my bread and butter is written articles, I often make a few photos as well... with my iPhone. I know, I know. I want to make better photos and also make some good pics when I'm travelling, especially of landscapes and achitecture.

the Canon EOS 200D
and
the Nikon D5600

Both seem pretty good for beginners and as far as I read both don't have really big drawbacks. However, the Nikon is a few hundred euros more expensive than the Canon, which makes me think I'll go for the Canon... but I want to make sure that I won't regret it.

I know close to nothing about equipment though, so ANY advise would be welcome. Alternatives in the same price range are welcome too. Thanks in advance folks!
It's hard to tell exactly what you want, since landscapes and architecture don't sound like they fit into your day-to-day reporting, yet you also want to use the camera for that?

In general, the rule for reporting photography is the standard "F8 and be there", so there's not a lot of hefty requirements in that arena. The 200D has no weather resistance of any sort, so not sure if that matters to you from a reporting perspective. The spec sheet and impressions of the 200D don't sound all that bad to me for the price. I would probably pair it with a 24-70 equivalent lens for general coverage, would work for landscapes as well.

If it were me, I'd spend a tiny bit more and get a used 6D instead for some improved weather protection, full frame pixels for landscapes, 40% bigger battery, better ergonomics, and built in GPS which might be helpful for the journalism shots.

I know nothing about Nikon.

Oct 25, 2017

the Canon EOS 200D
and
the Nikon D5600

I have covered a lot of events and seen a lot of event photographers. Get something with some weather sealing. For Nikon my first camera for event coverage was a D7100, you could also survive using a Canon 70D or a 7D mkI. Get these either used or refurbished, they're way better than what you intend to use.

Oct 25, 2017
HI Camera ERA!

I have a Sony 6300 and am interested in taking macro photos of small plants and insects. I have a budget of around $300 - $400 and a bunch of Amazon credit.

I was looking at the Sony SEL30M35 30mm f/3.5 e-mount Macro Fixed Lens

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054I54JU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&psc=1

Is this a good starter lens? It certainly fits the budget. It seems like it is an older design. Any rumors of a replacement just around the corner?

Thanks!

New macro lenses are completely worthless, with the exception of if they have Stabilization. As that lens does not have stabilization, it is useless.
Get this instead.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdmacro/50macro.htm
With that lens, you have two main options -- Either get the lens, a cheap Canon FD to E Mount adapter, and then the FD 25mm extension tube. That will get you full 1:1 Macro, but you'll need to remove the extension tube to be able to use it in 'normal' use cases, and attach it to use it for macro. It's annoying but works.
Your other option, is get the Fotodiox Stretch. I don't know what the final magnification is, as I can't seem to find the actual 'stretch' spec, but it takes filters (probably useless) but, way more importantly, allows you to just zoom in to the macro ranges without needing to take the lens off and attach/remove the extension tube, which is HUGE and will make everything just more enjoyable, but it is of course more expensive.

Regardless of which of those two options you take, absolutely get this Laowa flash. Every other option is inferior to this.
Just make sure you work up a good Diffuser setup -- this can be as simple as a laminated transparency cut out to fit over the flash, but there's lots of creative options.

Oh holy fuck shit the Fotodiox Stretch comes in FD to Fuji X hells yeah.

EDIT: I should note there are other vintage macro lenses, but in general, you want a vintage macro lens, as there hasn't really been much improvement for them as of late.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We knew Canon was going to drop some news on Valentine's day, and it's looking like a huge RF lens drop. I'm still convinced that Canon is going to run circles around Nikon in terms of their mirrorless, look at that lineup! Event photogs now have a complete zoom lineup from 15-200 at f2-2.8, an RF version of THE KEG, and a fast professional wide angle landscape option. This is a fantastic lineup.

RF15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
RF24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
RF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
RF85mm F1.2L USM

Sounds like an even more entry level R body called the RP might be announced as well at a $1600 price point. Watch it have the garbage 6D MkII sensor.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We knew Canon was going to drop some news on Valentine's day, and it's looking like a huge RF lens drop. I'm still convinced that Canon is going to run circles around Nikon in terms of their mirrorless, look at that lineup! Event photogs now have a complete zoom lineup from 15-200 at f2-2.8, an RF version of THE KEG, and a fast professional wide angle landscape option. This is a fantastic lineup.

RF15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
RF24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
RF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
RF85mm F1.2L USM

Sounds like an even more entry level R body called the RP might be announced as well at a $1600 price point. Watch it have the garbage 6D MkII sensor.

Fuck, that is a smart set of lenses to drop to augment what they already have.

What they really need is a Pro body to go along with them, though. The EOS R just sucks in terms of performance (for the price) and we don't need a worse version of that.

I honestly like how the Z6/Z7 feel as cameras better.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can't fathom why they didn't release a true 5D4 R instead of the actual R, especially at that price point.

Canon has a nasty habit of tying pro body releases to the Olympics so my money is early 2020 before we get a proper body.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't fathom why they didn't release a true 5D4 R instead of the actual R, especially at that price point.

Canon has a nasty habit of tying pro body releases to the Olympics so my money is early 2020 before we get a proper body.

I guess it makes sense to save the pro body until you have a good lineup of pro lenses.

Oct 25, 2017

RF15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
RF24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
RF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
RF85mm F1.2L USM

Yeah the fact that this is coming out now and not next year like whatever the hell Nikon is stating on their chicken shit road map means Nikon Z mount is fucking done. I have no complaints changing over to FE mount, but I would be quite annoyed with Z mount. The Z mount is like what FE was four years ago if I have my dates right and since I lack patience and like used Z mount would not be what I could realistically deal with.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new 70-200/2.8 appears to be telescoping which is an interesting change for Canon. Very compact when retracted though (if this image is accurate).

canon_1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am glad no one is totally overreacting
As of now it's got nothing physically announced lens wise that would put it above the competition. You have no 2.8 zooms, no telephoto, not a 24-105 F4, no fast glass outside of the 35 and 50 1.8, a giant prestige barrel that's manual focus, no used market. Their 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's are this year, but I'm assuming these things will be fucking expensive if the VR 3 is anything to go buy. It's an option yes and I do like the feel of them, but I don't exactly like buying into lens ecosystems as they're in their infancy. At the very least Canon is getting their lens shit together now and Nikon just seems to be bidding their time a bit, which in the current market isn't an aggressive enough push.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny seeing the guys on the Sony forum on FM going "wow!" at the RF lens drop. Early Sony adopters had to wait 3-4 years for such a fully fleshed out lineup. 7 L-quality lenses in the first year blows away everyone's expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny seeing the guys on the Sony forum on FM going "wow!" at the RF lens drop. Early Sony adopters had to wait 3-4 years for such a fully fleshed out lineup. 7 L-quality lenses in the first year blows away everyone's expectations.
This is exactly what I was getting into when I heard Z mount is done. It sounds like Canon has had this stuff on the drawing board for a bit, I don't get that same feeling from Nikon since they announce stuff piece meal. Z mount is never getting a massive info drop like this.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is Canon's massive shot across the bow of the industry for all the people waxing about how they can't innovate any more and are a dying company from an R&D perspective. If they can sort out their fucking sensors, I think they're in a great position to compete with Sony in the FF MILC space long term.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is Canon's massive shot across the bow of the industry for all the people waxing about how they can't innovate any more and are a dying company from an R&D perspective. If they can sort out their fucking sensors, I think they're in a great position to compete with Sony in the FF MILC space long term.
Yeah both Canon and Nikon got really close, but missed a bit on the performance with their first two cameras. If Canon could give you a better body and Nikon can give you AF-C that's actually speedier and consistent they'd both be winners. Sadly these will be costly pro bodies and nothing will trickle down to something more cost effective for a bit.
I actually just saw the prices for the rumored RF lenses and they're not as bad as what I thought. Their 70-200 is priced cheaper than Nikon (VRIII) and Sony versions. From pricing alone the RF stuff gets a thumbs up from me, which is saying something since I don't really want to buy Canon stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I rented a Z6 this weekend, I liked it quite a bit, the grip is nice. As far as roadmap, the 2.8 24-70, 70-200 are dropping this year, so I don't think is that big a deal. Unless you're a pro totally changing systems.

Oct 25, 2017
I rented a Z6 this weekend, I liked it quite a bit, the grip is nice. As far as roadmap, the 2.8 24-70, 70-200 are dropping this year, so I don't think is that big a deal. Unless you're a pro totally changing systems.
Yeah I don't exactly hate the Z line up, I just think they're too expensive for what they are, mostly a complaint aimed at the Z7 though. I wouldn't buy one new, but 1200 used yes, but if the AF-C is crap then that's a no. I do too much low light work to buy F4 lenses to be honest. I can value the weight savings, but at the same time aperture is aperture and there is no iso riding to negate that for me.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
so I'm no pro by any means, but I travel a lot and have sort of dropped carrying my (very old) Canon SLR just due to it not adding a lot.

I've got a bunch of travel coming up and am getting back into having something for real photos - I'm pretty narrowed down to the Fuji mirrorless, and probably between the XT-20, XT-2 and XT-3.

I feel like the weight / size of the XT-20 makes it the most ideal as I'll actually be more likely to carry it.

Thoughts oh wise Photography era-ers?

Nov 13, 2017
so I'm no pro by any means, but I travel a lot and have sort of dropped carrying my (very old) Canon SLR just due to it not adding a lot.

I've got a bunch of travel coming up and am getting back into having something for real photos - I'm pretty narrowed down to the Fuji mirrorless, and probably between the XT-20, XT-2 and XT-3.

I feel like the weight / size of the XT-20 makes it the most ideal as I'll actually be more likely to carry it.

I currently have an xpro-2 and is a great kit, depending on your hand size, the xt20 may be too small, it would be worth testing it out. But from what I heard you cannot go wrong with either the t2 or t3

Oct 25, 2017

For in hand feel to be honest the X-T2 is better than the X-T20. If you have a better budget to work with then get the X-T3. I found the X-T20 to be too small, but that's me personally. If you're making this decision without physically holding the cameras then you owe it to yourself to try them out first. All three are good travel cameras and people rave about the kit lens for it even if I was never a fan of it.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Have you actually HELD the XT-20? Usually the advice is to stay far away because of the terrible ergonomics and go more towards the X-T2 if you can swing it.

Really can't go wrong with an X-T2 right now at these crazy prices anyways. Which lenses are you looking at?

Nov 13, 2017
Have you actually HELD the XT-20? Usually the advice is to stay far away because of the terrible ergonomics and go more towards the X-T2 if you can swing it.

Really can't go wrong with an X-T2 right now at these crazy prices anyways. Which lenses are you looking at?

yeah I am not sure the Xt3 is much more of an improvement for photos, unless you really need video.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, everyone knows Canon can produce some badass lenses, but they still have everything to prove in the technology and body department. I think the EOS R is pretty awful compared to the competition. The Nikon bodies at least feel like a pretty competent first attempt.

Canon still doesn't even have IBIS much less a ton of the other cool stuff that other manufacturers are doing. Then again, they're on top and there are even some pros making it work with the EOS R for whatever reason, so my opinions on the matter don't mean much.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I am not sure the Xt3 is much more of an improvement for photos, unless you really need video.
The X-T3 has faster AF, but out of the cameras I own, which is hitting a good amount these days it's definitely my preferred video camera. If you don't need IBIS and are fine with tripod work then get the X-T3. I will admit the X-T3 is a bit over hyped in regards to its photo improvements, but it still takes a great picture and any short comings regarding light gathering are just inherent to be being a crop sensor camera, still has the best crop sensor lenses in the business.
Strangely, most reports are the XT-3 takes slightly worse quality photos than the X-T2 despite having the new BSI/higher res sensor.
Most of the complaints are regarding the high iso. I like the X-T3, which is currently getting some repair work, but I think I've slowly gravitating to the Sony more for dedicated stills work.

Nov 13, 2017
The X-T3 has faster AF, but out of the cameras I own, which is hitting a good amount these days it's definitely my preferred video camera. If you don't need IBIS and are fine with tripod work then get the X-T3. I will admit the X-T3 is a bit over hyped in regards to its photo improvements, but it still takes a great picture and any short comings regarding light gathering are just inherent to be being a crop sensor camera, still has the best crop sensor lenses in the business.

It may be faster, but even on my xpro 2 with the "slowest lens" 35 1.4, I've never had much of an issue, I feel people tend to totally over react to that

Oct 25, 2017
It may be faster, but even on my xpro 2 with the "slowest lens" 35 1.4, I've never had much of an issue, I feel people tend to totally over react to that
Some times for street shooting the quicker AF helps.
DSCF4144 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
I used the X-T2 with that lens to feel like that camera wouldn't have grabbed this shot in the split second that I had to take it. That being said I worked a wedding with both across multiple combos and had the same keeper amount between both, so everything is in a way a toss up. Though to add to this the best improvement the X-T3 brings is having the full sensor PDAF point coverage.

Nov 13, 2017
Some times for street shooting the quicker AF helps.
DSCF4144 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
I used the X-T2 with that lens to feel like that camera wouldn't have grabbed this shot in the split second that I had to take it. That being said I worked a wedding with both across multiple combos and had the same keeper amount between both, so everything is in a way a toss up. Though to add to this the best improvement the X-T3 brings is having the full sensor PDAF point coverage.

Yes, obviously, different type of photography require different options.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, obviously, different type of photography require different options.
Yeah at the end of the day I think the X-T3 and the A7RII are my two main cameras unless I'm doing an event for work...even though both cameras would be more than enough, I'm just used to doing those on Nikons since I consider them my "comfort cameras" if that makes any type of sense.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
yeah I have held the bodies and messed with them.

I had held the XT-3 and XT-20 and played with both. I definitely liked the size of the XT-20, but I totally get the ergonomics thing while using both of them, and the lack of joystick for AF is kind of a bummer. Really it was that less weight and form that was kind of pushing me towards the XT-20, but also the price difference (700)

I honestly wasn't really even considering a used XT-2, but seeing prices for the body with kit lens around 925 shipped is hyper tempting as that's cheaper than a new XT-20. I'm spending 3 days trekking in the Jungle too, so the weather sealing is probably worth it even with a dry bag.

Oct 25, 2017

I had held the XT-3 and XT-20 and played with both. I definitely liked the size of the XT-20, but I totally get the ergonomics thing while using both of them, and the lack of joystick for AF is kind of a bummer. Really it was that less weight and form that was kind of pushing me towards the XT-20, but also the price difference (700)

I honestly wasn't really even considering a used XT-2, but seeing prices for the body with kit lens around 925 shipped is hyper tempting as that's cheaper than a new XT-20. I'm spending 3 days trekking in the Jungle too, so the weather sealing is probably worth it even with a dry bag.
I do my best to get weather sealed, if you're trekking around get the jungle it helps just to make sure. Most of my stuff is actually quite used, as long as you buy from a good retailer you'll be fine. I also get the priority of saving weight, but to be honest the X-T2 isn't that heavy of a camera. Granted this all depends on what you're comparing to, but I'd rather have the AF joystick and bigger EVF than not have either of those two features.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The X-T2 is totally worth getting for the price. It's still a fantastic camera. The main improvements over it in the X-T3 are continuous autofocus (including eye-AF) performance and coverage, and video capabilities, but honestly, the X-T2 is no slouch in those areas, either.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The kit lens isn't weather sealed FYI. I'd rent the 16-55 for the trip if I were you if you don't want to drop the cash for it outright.

The defacto landscape 10-24 isn't weather sealed either. Most people use the 16/1.4 or 16-55 for that use case.

Oct 25, 2017
The 16-55 is also a great video lens. If I need to do video work I bring the 16-55 and 50-140, anything other than that is icing on the cake, though the 23 1.4 is also great along with the 90F2 for very tight bokeh shots.