• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 18, 2020
Sometimes I think about the serendipitous timing between turning 14 and purchasing the 'Calvin & Hobbes 10th Anniversary Book' for my birthday -- the very same loved and dogeared copy that still sits on my shelf -- wherein Bill Watterson provides not just this incredible commentary to his catalog of work but also his opinions on capitalism and the commercialization of art and how much that shaped my personal ethos.

What an absolute icon.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
The goat comic strip. I still have and will treasure forever the complete collectors edition. Makes me want to re-read again now.

GUEST_fdf403af-4a88-4af0-b78a-bb8cedab2e07

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, I was so impatient for the next Calvin and Hobbes book to come out that every week day, and on Sunday, I would cut out the C&H comics from our morning paper and add them to a photo album I kept, thus making my own "book" of the year's comics so I could re-read them. When the next book came out, containing the ones in my album, I emptied out the album and started again. I did this for years.

It was formative as a child, informative as a young adult, and eye-opening as a parent. The social commentary and satire never misses the mark - somehow even more relevant today - and there's a deep empathy for Calvin's parents running through the writing, as we see them doing their best with a rather challenging kid.

There are too many greats to name, but some of the stories that I still think about often: Calvin backing the car out of the driveway and into a ditch, and how his parents are entirely focused on whether their kid is okay. It's a funny story, and one that emphasizes how mom and dad have their priorities straight. I've tried to follow their example with my kids.

Coming home from a wedding and seeing their house broken into, Hobbes' location unknown. It's a story that gives equal time to Calvin and his parents respective fears and anxieties, and hits particularly hard for that reason. I often think about his dad's late-night observation, "A man's home is his castle, but it shouldn't have to be a fortress."

Ordering the propeller beanie, and the importance of keeping expectations in check.

The ongoing battles with Roslyn, the babysitter.

The epic and incredibly creative snowmen Calvin conjures up.

Calvin's evolving relationship with Susie, and how delicately they form a friendship in spite of Calvin's best efforts.

Spaceman Spiff, and the incredible, gonzo art and layouts.

The racoon story. Oh god, the racoon story still just guts me.

But perhaps most of all, how Bill Watterson ended Calvin and Hobbes when it was at its peak, after a neat 10-year run. And doing so in utterly perfect form, with a panel that captures everything the comic was about. I love Calvin and Hobbes more than I can possibly express.

3f6pk0ltfooy.png

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I was obsessed with Garfield as a kid but as I slowly grew older I started to really enjoy C&H. I don't think I realised Hobbes was an imaginary friend as a kid so I didn't quite understand it. Even now I refuse to believe Hobbes isn't real. This reminds me I still have a lot of C&H stuff I need to catch up on.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
My favourites are the ones where Hobbs always sneak attacks Calvin, but it's always the last picture that sums up Hobbs satisfaction at nailing his prey.
latest

images

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was more for other strips (Bloom County, Far Side), but I can still appreciate the splendor Watterson brought to the medium.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My favorite comic strip of all time! Happy Anniversary!

My sister got me into this series in the early 90's, and I just fell in love. I finally got the complete collection earlier this year, and it's just wonderful.

Sorry about Spider-Verse being in the way, but that book came the say day, and I was just excited to dive into both when I took this picture XD XD

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Also, an old interview with Bill Watterson on why there's no merchandise-
watterson.png

I have nothing but respect for Mr. Watterson to be steadfast with sticking to his convictions. Some things are not for sale at any price.

With that said, there will come a time when Universal Press Syndicate will start merchandising the shit out of those characters, once Bill passes away. Mark my words.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The goat comic strip. I still have and will treasure forever the complete collectors edition. Makes me want to re-read again now.

Yeah, I got this for a birthday one year in my 20's and I love it. Was so glad to receive it after I had lost most of the individual books I had growing up as a kid. This thread is definitely making me feel like re-reading the entire thing again.

And yeah greatest newspaper comic series by far, and I doubt anything could come close to topping it.

OP
OP
T.Rex In F-14

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
I still have the final strip cut out from the paper.

One of the most influential pieces of media I've ever consumed, absolutely transformative.
But perhaps most of all, how Bill Watterson ended Calvin and Hobbes when it was at its peak, after a neat 10-year run. And doing so in utterly perfect form, with a panel that captures everything the comic was about. I love Calvin and Hobbes more than I can possibly express.

3f6pk0ltfooy.png

The final strip is the greatest, most perfect ending of anything ever. I tear up EVERY single time I see it.

Sep 10, 2020
Oh man. I own like 6 of the book collections. Some of my favorites of all time. Beautiful and laugh-out-loud funny. Love Calvin and Hobbes dearly.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i discovered my parent's collections as a kid and was instantly hooked. read them all back to front over and over again, took them everywhere with me. what an incredible comic. that last strip is still so wonderful.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I loved this to death growing up in the late 90's. I only had one book but I would trade it with 2 of my friends who had the others and read most of them. We accidentally never traded back one time, and to this day I have a tattered copy with "Troy F"'s name written on the first page...we also took an art of cartooning summer school class where I made a construction paper cutout of Calvin deviously throwing a snowball!

I loved the hyper serious/ high detail daydreams especially. But all the rest was such an amazing mix of genuine simple adventure, hilarious relationship moments and some really heartfelt moments.

Damn this thread is gonna make me the full hard cover set ...

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I have nothing but respect for Mr. Watterson to be steadfast with sticking to his convictions. Some things are not for sale at any price.

With that said, there will come a time when Universal Press Syndicate will start merchandising the shit out of those characters, once Bill passes away. Mark my words.
I wonder. Your post made me curious about who the actual copyright owner is, which turned up this blog post from 2013. The owner appears to be the publisher, Andrews McMeel Universal, and they go after a pretty clear case of Fair Use with a friendly, if firm, letter to the creator, stating:

I'm sorry to say that it is our view that what you're doing is in violation of the copyright of Calvin & Hobbes. This is no reflection on the artistic merit of what you've done and certainly not a personal condemnation of the pieces you've created.

We're protective of the copyright for a variety of reasons, most importantly it is the express and unwavering wish of the creator that any use of Calvin and Hobbes was limited to work he'd created and in very specific formats.

Because that is the case, we would politely request that you take down the works you've created that contain any Calvin and Hobbes images.

You look to be an outstanding artist and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.
I bolded the key phrase - while the publisher obviously has their own marketing to protect, they point to the author's wishes in protecting the copyright even in the most benign of circumstances. I guess we'll have to see what happens after Waterson dies, though.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I wonder. Your post made me curious about who the actual copyright owner is, which turned up this blog post from 2013. The owner appears to be the publisher, Andrews McMeel Universal, and they go after a pretty clear case of Fair Use with a friendly, if firm, letter to the creator, stating:

I bolded the key phrase - while the publisher obviously has their own marketing to protect, they point to the author's wishes in protecting the copyright even in the most benign of circumstances. I guess we'll have to see what happens after Waterson dies, though.

Thank you for correcting me. I didn't realize licensing holders have swapped hands over the years.

And I'm inclined to give Mr. Glynn's polite, but firm, letter the benefit of the doubt that he actually is acting in Mr. Watterson's interest. Rather than playing the role of big media executive stomping on someone's fun.

But that might all change when Watterson passes away, so who knows.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
reflecting on calvin and hobbes and whether or not it had an influence on my sense of humor and no - i don't think it did. the simpsons was the single greatest influence there (ren and stimpy was actually a close second in my very younger years). the strip made me laugh, and i loved it. but i loved it the same way i loved the far side. it was good, high-quality entertainment.

using this chance to really think back on it though - i realize now that it had a strong impact on my imagination instead. specifically, the strips involving the various cardboard boxes - the clones, turning into a tiger, traveling through time - as a kid i would try and think maybe i could make something like that. specifically, i recall trying to figure out the in-comic logic of the multiple calvins (duplicator and the time machine) and how it would be happening without the cardboard box - so that even if it wasn't possible to make on my own, it would be fun to pretend.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I used to read on long car journeys and it's one of my favourite things ever. The best gift I ever received was this painting my friend gave me at my wedding of me and my wife. I burst into tears on the spot.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I discovered this as a teenager and absolutely loved it. Around the same time I used to babysit this kid who was around my brother's age, and I got both of them into it, as well. Said kid later told me he thought of himself as Calvin and me as Hobbes, which is one of the greatest compliments I've ever received in life.

I'm waiting for my nephews to get old enough before I start buying them the books and get them hooked, too. Sadly they're only six and four at the moment so I've got a few years of waiting to go, and even if I got them now and they liked them, their sister is two and in a "see a book, tear it apart" kinda phase around now.

First Calvin and Hobbes, then when they're a little older again, I'll get them started on The Far Side.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Man, it's been decades... and yet, while reading through the strips posted in here, it's like it hasn't really been all that long at all. I think I need to re-read these ASAP.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Calvin and Hobbes is a timeless work of staggering genius and breathtaking artistic conviction that had a huge impact on my worldview, my philosophy of life, my sense of humor, everything...even my parenting (especially my parenting). I will always be grateful for it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Oh my god i will never forget reading this strip as a kid. I was legitimately gasping for breath from the laughter. It's so fucking good.

It reminds me of how I used to will myself to never let my eyes stray down the panels while reading Calvin and Hobbes. Most comic strip were so milquetoast, it almost didn't matter if you read the punchline in advance. With C&H you don't want to fuck up the timing...the rhythm and the flow of it. You respected it too much. Even as a dumb little kid I could see how special it was.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My favourite. Just adore it. It's been fascinating reading & re-reading the strips over the years and my perception of them shifting and growing.

Yeah I have collection. It's lovely. My originals are pretty battered and scattered about my kids rooms but that's fine: they loved it too. This version stays pristine and with me though.

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
I think it's hard to make the case of Hobbes not being real with this comic:

80791537.gif

You'd have to ask a lot of questions reagarding Calvin successfully tying himself up.

No love for tracer bullet in this thread...?

Tracer was good but I definitely think Stupendous Man and Spaceman Spiff were more creative/funnier. Even Watterson admitted he ran out of gas drawing them.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Calvin and Hobbes is perfect. One of my favourite pieces of media.

I have reread it all, so many times now. It's amazing how good, how deep and how relevant it still is today.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I owned most (if not all) of the books as a teen, I read them so many times and I absolutely loved them for so many reasons... Happy birthday Calvin & Hobbes!!

For some reason this one always cracked me up and I thought of it recently:

q1vI70y.gif

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Good shit, thanks for making the thread! C&H has always been my favorite strip; I have the 3 volume hardcover set sitting not 10 feet from me here in the home office.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017

I accidentally left my original CE in my car after I moved and one of the books started to rot, so I had to buy a replacement collection.... couldn't go on without having one in full šŸ˜„

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely my favorite comic strip as a kid. Going to have to go through the books I have this week now. Thanks OP.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Honestly? It is kind of infuriating how this comic is both so well written and so well drawn. People aren't supposed to excel at everything, Bill. Sheesh.