• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Exactly this.

These videos getting posted about using the money to save animals pretends that we don't have the means to protect theM AND not hunt any.
But you won't get the money required without the hunt. It's like backing a kickstarter but not getting the product/service, i'll pass.

It's shitty but they do it that way because it works better in the long run hopefully.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
But you won't get the money required without the hunt. It's like backing a kickstarter but not getting the product/service, i'll pass.

It's shitty but they do it that way because it works better in the long run hopefully.

But the reason that it's a terrible argument is that you CAN donate without having to hunt the animal. That's just not good enough for their greedy egos. So while the hunts do fund conservation (and line pockets) it's not a defense against criticism of the hunts or the hunters.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

This is such a piss poor excuse. You can donate the money and NOT hunt the animal like a piece of shit.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy John's is shit anyway. Jersey Mike's, Publix, and Firehouse are all better.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I been off JJ since I first saw those pics years ago.

Shame because the sandwiches are delicious

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
No, in fact there are legal companies run by the governments that let you hunt big game in special zones for huge sums of money, which is then put into breeding and protection programs for endangered species. Letting these hunters legally do it using these companies actually helps the animals, because letting the occasional rich guy do it gives them money to do things like fight off the organized poaching cartels.

I've seen that argument before, and it's really sad that it exists (not pointing at you). I'm just saying that if these rich assholes gave a damn about conservation and protection they could just donate their money to that cause, instead of killing an innocent and majestic animal and posing with a thumbs up.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hasnt this shit been happening for years? Same cycle

➡️ man I love JJ
➡️ oh shit the owner kills elephants BOYCOTT
➡️ [FORGETS]
➡️ orders jimmy johns days later

Is there anything more feckless than the American consumer?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand modern trophy hunting. Maybe 200+ years ago when guns only fired one shot and you could be killed very easily it was something to brag about. But in this age of high powered automatic rifles and vehicles where you're (relatively) safe from attack, what exactly is impressive about it? Seems petty as all fuck.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I can't keep these sub places straight. I believe Jimmy John's uses peanut oil in thier chips so I already avoid eating there, but I feel like some of these alternative places people mentioned also use peanut oil in thier fries so I guess I'm just off subs indefinitely.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Donating can help but people that hunt also bring money to the local community which in turn gives these communities incentive to help preserve these animals existence.

Don't forget that many of the animals hunted are problem animals that would have to be killed anyway by park rangers. If the park can make hundreds of thousands of dollars by having rich people kill them, that's a positive.

Look the idea simply donating the money is good except it does not create the economic conditions necessary for the local populations to protect the animals. Tourism, trophy hunting does. Welcome to capitalism but that's how it works. By allowing economic growth in tourism we make it easier for local populations to justify not pouching or bulldozing the protected areas for farms/factories/homes.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Don't forget that many of the animals hunted are problem animals that would have to be killed anyway by park rangers. If the park can make hundreds of thousands of dollars by having rich people kill them, that's a positive.

Look the idea simply donating the money is good except it does not create the economic conditions necessary for the local populations to protect the animals. Tourism, trophy hunting does. Welcome to capitalism but that's how it works. By allowing economic growth in tourism we make it easier for local populations to justify not pouching or bulldozing the protected areas for farms/factories/homes.
The point is, that's not the motivation for people like this. The pics they post of themselves grinning over dead bodies shows what their motivation is.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Their owner is a low life. They put non-competes for their employees so they can't go to other sandwich shops. So many bad labor practices on top of that.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
User Banned (5 days): Inflammatory false equivalence
The point is, that's not the motivation for people like this. The pics they post of themselves grinning over dead bodies shows what their motivation is.

Does it matter as long as it funds conservation and brings about the protection of endangered species and environments?

Would you give up protecting the animals simply to be able to not see him smirking at you?

Oh fuck him. He's a fucking prick. He should be boiled in oil and have the fat sold for soap. Why is this shit still okay?

Can I ask you a question? Do you eat meat? Do you live in a city? Do you buy gasoline? Are you a part of human civilization?

If the answer is yes, if he should be burned in oil, so should you. By existing, by eating meat, by living in a first world country you are also inflicting pain and suffering on animals, environments, and causing death. It would only be fair.

Which is why the attitudes of people opposed to hunting are absurd. Your lives, your existence is no less wounding the environment and lives of the creatures he killed. You don't see it, you get to ignore the factory farming and everything else.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
the fuck is wrong with people

how can you be smiling and propped up onto a being that just wanted to live its life and be happy the same way you do?

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

➡️ man I love JJ
➡️ oh shit the owner kills elephants BOYCOTT
➡️ [FORGETS]
➡️ orders jimmy johns days later

Any consumer? I wouldn't say this is American specific.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Does it matter as long as it funds conservation and brings about the protection of endangered species and environments?

Would you give up protecting the animals simply to be able to not see him smirking at you?
Of course it matters. It's the whole point. A seller selling a service because it's the only way they can get funding does not make the buyer any less of an asshole.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can I ask you a question? Do you eat meat? Do you live in a city? Do you buy gasoline? Are you a part of human civilization?

If the answer is yes, if he should be burned in oil, so should you. By existing, by eating meat, by living in a first world country you are also inflicting pain and suffering on animals, environments, and causing death. It would only be fair.

Which is why the attitudes of people opposed to hunting are absurd. Your lives, your existence is no less wounding the environment and lives of the creatures he killed. You don't see it, you get to ignore the factory farming and everything else.
I have seen some pretty bad false equivalencies before on Era but this is definitely top 5.

You are seriously comparing eating meat and buying gas to trophy hunting endangered species? Are you kidding me?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Stop going there in 2013 I think it was when I heard about this. That guy is such a fuckhead and definitely compensating for a baby dick. if I want a sandwich these days, and I don't really eat sandwiches, I have higher quality options like Taylor Gourmet and a local place Mike's Cafe.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

➡ man I love JJ
➡ oh shit the owner kills elephants BOYCOTT
➡ [FORGETS]
➡ orders jimmy johns days later

My girlfriend and I have been avoiding Jimmy John's since 2013 because of his hunting. My girlfriend has never had his sandwiches before, so nothing has been lost for her. For me, I actually like his sandwiches enough that I'd get it once or twice a year, but not so much that it's been particularly tough for me to cut it out.

Sure, some people won't stick with boycotts, but some do. That's just the human condition.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I will never understand modern trophy hunting. Maybe 200+ years ago when guns only fired one shot and you could be killed very easily it was something to brag about. But in this age of high powered automatic rifles and vehicles where you're (relatively) safe from attack, what exactly is impressive about it? Seems petty as all fuck.
What don't you get? It's psychopaths getting off on murdering animals. This has nothing to do with a challenge or an achievement. It's just the rich guys version of setting a kitten on fire.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people want to use this to boycott the company. Because the guy heard the complaints and stopped doing it. Isn't that the reason to boycott, the desired outcome?

There are other reasons to boycott them...

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I'll give the internet about ten hours before they forget about this again. Then six month later people will pretend to care again.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Brock Lesnar.

gettyimages-485063258.jpg
Probably loves this. He's a big hunter too

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting trash. I've never eaten there before and now I never will. Even though the majority of these huge chains probably have assholes working for them somewhere in the line. I guess it's about choosing the lesser of whatever evil?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I have seen some pretty bad false equivalencies before on Era but this is definitely top 5.

You are seriously comparing eating meat and buying gas to trophy hunting endangered species? Are you kidding me?

If the trophy hunting is legal, regulated and defined by the park to kill animals too old or needing to be killed anyway, there's nothing wrong with killing them. Factory farming is driving the burning of the Amazon so ya it's absolutely part of the conversation.

If you criticize hunting on the grounds of hurting and killing animals needlessly but also engage in eating meat from factory farms, choose lower prices products, you are also inflicting pain and suffering on animals except you don't see it, and therefore can ignore it while being able to criticize a trophy hunter for hunting a animal legally and with regulation.

What is the difference between a human killing a bird vs a cat? Nothing except we have been blessed with the ability to see how our actions affect the broader ecosystem. The cat could kill the bird for food, or simply for "fun", fun also referring to honing and maintaining it's skills for hunting. We hunted, we still hunt not just directly for food, but also for survival, in that we hone our skills. By the luck of having the ability to have foresight we don't hunt birds to extinction but guess what, cats do and have caused large population drops.

What I'm saying is, we are animals too, and dividing ourselves as being separate from animals often breeds these attitudes of protection and caring that oftentimes are very negative.

A example is allowing dogs and cats to procreate, or to live outside. Outdoor cats absolutely destroy bird populations as a result.

Or favoring endangered species over other humans. Many attitudes of people towards hunting are rooted in ignoring the human populations that live in the regions in favoring of protecting the animals in a way that negatively impacts the local population. It's why Brazil gets to decry criticism of the Amazon by calling it colonialism. It's why India, China and other developing countries bristle at the First World demanding they constrain their economies while enjoying the fruits of exploiting and ruining their own countries first.

That's why donations don't work, they rely and are meant to control instead of encourage. They don't foster independent growth. For example, the donations of clothing destroyed African clothing industries.

It's why instead of providing food to famine regions and threatened areas, they usually provide money or set price limits. They want to encourage the market to bring in supplies, or keep farming a worthwhile thing to do vs moving.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Which is why donating money to countries to stop doing things we don't like is bad cause the only incentive is money that may not show up one day.

Tourism, Trophy hunting, brings in a lot more money than donations and can better handle governments changing power or people getting tired of "giving" money away by generating the cycle needed to keep prioritizing protecting animals and land vs using it in ways that are destructive.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting, but not surprising from this garbage human being and his garbage food chain. I hope he is mauled by wildlife on his next trophy hunt.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Of course it matters. It's the whole point. A seller selling a service because it's the only way they can get funding does not make the buyer any less of an asshole.

Is the poor man who buys the cheapest meat and food he can a asshole for not spending money he may not have on more expensive food? Cheap, plentiful meat is driving the burning of the Amazon, but are you going to go to poor people in America and tell him "hey guess what, we are raising food costs 20% and fucking you over but your assholes for being poor and causing this in the first place by being poor and wanting better food instead of being content."

What don't you get? It's psychopaths getting off on murdering animals. This has nothing to do with a challenge or an achievement. It's just the rich guys version of setting a kitten on fire.

We murder animals everyday in horrid conditions in factory farms to drive our wish for cheaper, plentiful meat. Would you say your a murderer? Or do you get to hide behind the fact that your not doing the actual killing, just paying them for it? Do you buy products from ethical farms?