• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

So far, the only explicit PUBG connection is that this is all 300 years into the future of current happenings in the battle royale game. Striking Distance Studios was founded as part of PUBG Corp last year. Schofield left EA and Visceral Games after the first Dead Space, and worked on a number of Call of Duty games for Activision, before now returning to sci-fi terror.

Lock me in an non-existent universe if old.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure why people are making such a big deal of this and acting like the game is ruined because of it. Does it matter? At most it will be referenced in some audio logs and maybe in a new PUBG map to tie it into it.

Oct 25, 2017
Your character walks into a section of the complex with 99 corpses, and mutters softly: "winner winner chicken dinner"

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Soooooooooo iam guessing that being part of PUBG corp if they wanna make a game then they simply HAD to make a game based in the PUBG universe regardless what type of game it was as to have the PUBG Brand move forward. Either way i hope the lore and story fit great into the universe and there's a great story to tell with great gameplay and characters..

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Why does this game need to be in the PUBG universe at all? As far as I understand, PUBG is a game with basically no narrative. Is the tie in just a marketing thing to keep it on people's radars rather than the game just being a new IP completely?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Huh.

I guess it could be connected to the fact the PUBG players are all convicts and this takes place on a prison colony?

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
...but why? That'd be like saying Dead Space takes place in the same universe as Battlefield (hence Visceral making Hardline). What's added by doing this? other than the hope that PUBG players will play this survival horror game - that they probably have no interest in cause it's not PUBG.

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure why people are making such a big deal of this and acting like the game is ruined because of it. Does it matter? At most it will be referenced in some audio logs and maybe in a new PUBG map to tie it into it.

Yeah, this. It's just marketing. I trust Glen to make the spiritual Dead Space successor the world wants.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG universe is a thing? Weird. Disappointing it's not just its own universe but ultimately it doesn't matter that much I guess. Just seems like a strange game to do a spin-off of to make just to try and get some extra cash.

Jan 11, 2018
If that's what it takes for this game to exist, so be it. As someone who couldn't care less about PUBG, but absolutely adores Dead Space and sci-fi space horror, I'm very excited by the potential of this project.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know what to think about having a connected universe for everything. For Marvel/DC it kinda makes sense, and maybe films being part of the MCU means some casual fans watched films based on characters they're not interested in just so they can be clued into the larger scope of things...

But what in the FUCK is the PUBG universe? Literally what? Why does it need to be connected in any way, shape or form to PUBG? Do they genuinely expect this to gain some PUBG players over if they wouldn't otherwise care?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so this is the game that was set in the PUBG universe? I guess "put it 300 years in the future" nicely gets around having to tie it in to the game and they can just put in a reference or two and be all "see, same universe!"

It'll be like FFVII and FFX-2.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ha, I thought this was false reporting before the game reveal.

If it helps the game get made then great.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's dumb and petty of me but knowing this kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

I'm sure it'll be easy to ignore though.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Why even tie this to PUBG? Three centuries in the future? Might as well have it be set in its own universe.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
300 years into the future...Will the game be a solid 60fps by then?

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree it this for this particular game, I hope the company's idea isn't to have every single game to come out of their studios to be tie-ins, that seems pretty limiting, creatively. For one title it's whatever, we'll definitely be able to ignore it just fine, but it can get lame really quickly.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? That's crazy.

I thought they were making a normal game based on PUGB but the leak was wrong.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it's really minimal stuff. Like Blade runner and Alien are technically in the same universe.

We already had Dead Space ruined by publisher interference.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I will gladly eat crow if there's a way to prove it gets anyone not otherwise interested to purchase because of the universe ties

I bet there will be at least one tweet or steam review shitting on the game because it doesn't tie into PUBG enough and they wanted more PUBG lore and tie-ins and they wanted that instead of scary space mutants.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing. I love it.

This is basically the Paper Mario of PUBG. Or Super Mario RPG.