• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
How do I start the sentence by changing the north?
Essentially you want to position the stars on each wheel in the positions they're used in that sentence / statement, so you rotate the "north" in order to place each word in the appropriate slots. Once you rotate the "north", look at the 1-2-3-4 layout and make sure each word lands in the appropriate slot(s) to create the combined words.

Dec 30, 2017
I had to stop playing after 10 minutes due to motion sickness. Lots of stutter on Series X. If I pan the camera slowly it's super choppy. This has to be fixable, it's not like the game has insane next gen graphics, I hope they release a patch.

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
Essentially you want to position the stars on each wheel in the positions they're used in that sentence / statement, so you rotate the "north" in order to place each word in the appropriate slots. Once you rotate the "north", look at the 1-2-3-4 layout and make sure each word lands in the appropriate slot(s) to create the combined words.
Thank you! :)

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Im just starting chapter 4.

Its alright so far, I like how its simply puzzle solving ( so far? ) so its a light hearted romp.

What I dont like is the sequencing of the puzzle solving. You MUST follow an order and you MUST find the right clue for your journal in order to "unlock" the ability to actually solve the puzzle....even if you know it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Other than a couple puzzles that were a little too obscure, I really enjoyed this experience.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
The motion blur is a bit too much if you are prone to get motionsickness.

Framerate could be better, but it is nothing that we havent seen before in our gaming life.

Solid first outing from Out of The Blue. Bodes very well for the future. I really liked this one.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I am playing on a 3080 with a 6700k....its really jittery even in gsync. How is it for you guys playing on pc ?

3070 on an i7 7700 here and yeah it has really bad frame pacing issues.

I think I am playing at 1440p, but changing the resolution does nothing in game. I assume it is 1440p because that is my desktop resolution.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I'm on chapter 5, playing on PC Game Pass and I haven't had any technical issues at all, game runs smoothly, even if it seems to be pushing my hardware more than I'd expect from looking at the game.

It looks lush and vibrant, and I mostly think the writing/story have been interesting and charming, but there's definitely a bit too much telling over showing. I like the scale of some of the puzzles/interactions, but it does feel like basically without all the required journal notes they're impossible, and with them they're fairly simple, so like you'll get to a room or area and find all these seemingly connected symbols and contraptions, then go over to a tent and read what all the symbols mean and how the contraption works and then it's just up to you to take the final steps and solve it. I mean, it's engaging enough, but yeah, anyone worried after hearing comparisons to Myst can rest easy.

I'll finish it, it's good.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Chapter 3. This game is awesome. I'm not seeing any performance issues but I'm not very sensitive to that. Playing on the Series X with VRR tv.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am really liking this so far. Only real annoyance to me is the motion blur. Why would anyone think that Issa good use of it in a first person game?

Deleted member 59

The exaggerated Motion blur where you can see trails/outlines of say the trees when you move the camera and pretty noticeable frame rate issues mean I'll probably wait before carrying on chapter 3. I hope they have some performance patches soon.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
The game really stutter for me, way too much to really liking this game.
Playing on a série x, this game run at 60fps for some people on Xbox or pc ? For me it's 30fps and less.
And damn sometimes we can't see nothing because there is too much bloom or something else hahaha ( why there IS no HDR or auto HDR :( )

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don't think the game has any Series S enhancements, only Series X.

What is the games' framerate cap on the S? 60fps or 30fps?
If I see the game in the X|S optimized category in my console (the icon of the game itself has this logo also), I am obviously inclined to think the game will have some kind of optimization for my Series S.

The game ran smoothly so it could be 60 fps. However, at certain point, as a developer, you have to think if the massive hit on resolution and overall image quality you have to make is really worth it, especially when we aren´t talking about a superfast action game in wich that framerate is almost mandatory.

Game looked pretty low-res and with low quality image to me.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am playing on a 3080 with a 6700k....its really jittery even in gsync. How is it for you guys playing on pc ?
Switched to my pc from the series X due to the poor performance, and playing at 1440p 60hz with a 8700k and 3080 and still getting micro stuttering.

Will come back to it in a few patches

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I've been using Special K to lock the game to 60fps and every time I've checked the frame time graph, it's been a flat 16.66ms.

Edit: If you're not already using it, just dump these files into [install dir]\COTS\Binaries\Win64 and run the game. You can increase the frame rate cap by opening dxgi.ini and changing the value of TargetFPS accordingly.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Ending part is definitely heavier than anything else on hardware, one very specific series of rooms, so I imagine that performance known issue also applies to PC. I'm not getting the stuttering people are describing on my 3080. Only stutter is when hitting loading bound between areas. Maybe don't use the in-game vsync to limit fps.

The puzzles really don't hold up later on, there are some real stinkers in there. Either because they make little sense or because they require a fuck load of tedious walking around huge areas to solve.

Gonna say it's... not a great game for me...

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Just started playing this and it's making me feel motion sickness. The motion blur seems to be too much and the frame rate stuttering at times I think adds to it.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I whish the pointer/cursor was bigger or another color then bright white,its very hard to see against a white or bright background,and this game is very bright,my god...anyway,already stuck in Chapter 1 at that bridge part...I have the 5 symbols and I place them on the totem like thing and nothing happens...found the secret and the shortcut though...

EDIT: Looked at a walkthrough for this puzzle and I am done with this game lol...have fun guys.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Out of the Blue just updated their Release Notes section on their Developer's Blog. A patch has either dropped or imminently dropping and, for those affected by it, the motion blur has been "fixed."

Last Updated: December 10, 4pm CEST

Call of the Sea Update 0.2.5.10 (74) Patch Notes — Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One Only

Patch 0.2.5.10 (74) includes the following updates:
  • Higher foliage triangle count - fixed foliage "popping" on Xbox One
  • Brightness setting enabled
  • Fixed motion blur setting
  • Fixed (preventing) calling Account picker outside of Main Menu
  • Improved performance in Chapters 5 and 6
  • Game Icon updated
Patch 0.2.74.0 also includes additional bug fixes, as well as several gameplay, visuals, narrative, voiceover, music, UI and performance improvements.

Please be aware of the following known issues to be addressed with our next patch:

• The "projector puzzle" in Chapter 2 is missing the grid.
  • Xbox One Only
    • The water environments might display more foam than intended (visual bug with the shader making the water look white at times).
    • Player might experience a crash (very low probability) after suspending the title via instant-on functionality. We recommend that you do not suspend the game during your playthrough, while suspending via the power button with instant-on functionality turned on.
    • The game can crash to the Xbox Home screen when resuming from connected standby, during a loading chapter screen (very low probability). We recommend that you do not go into standby mode when a chapter is loading.
I took a day off from this game on Tuesday, after completing Chapter 1, wanting to see if there would be any more information on performance patches. Well, I fired up Chapter 2 last night and simply couldn't stop until I beat it.

I am really digging this game! The frame rate drops don't hinder my enjoyment of the game, but I do wonder to what extent "performance improvements" means.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is pretty rad. When I first started it I thought it was going to make me queasy but fortunately it didn't. I still don't know if the camera acceleration model they've chosen is such a good idea, though.

Runs close enough to 60fps on a 1070 at 1080p max settings, and looks quite excellent.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if reinstalling the PC Game Pass version fixes the broken FOV/Camera Angle slider that can only do the vomit/inducing 75 degrees?

EDIT: And the answer if anyone cares is nope. It's still stuck at 75%. Come on devs please unfuck the FOV!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PC... is there any way to make mouse sensitivity? This is ridiculous.

And yeah, that FOV setting doesn't work on Game Pass. Damnit!

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Can you go into further detail? I'm still not understanding the logic behind this puzzle. I accidentally solved it, but it's killing me not knowing how I did.

My girlfriend and I just spent an hour surfing the web, all while trying to avoid spoilers, as to what the interactable is supposed to represent/do. And we walked away with no further insight.

I understand all of the components of the puzzle and what I'm supposed to be trying to do, I'm regards to combining base words/symbols to create the more complex words/symbols. However, I just can't correlate the dial, its stars label, and the mural depicting the base word above.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PC... is there any way to make mouse sensitivity? This is ridiculous.

Unfortunately not from what I can tell. I ended up using the DPI button on my mouse to increase it. Way too low by default.

Did anyone else playing on PC get a strange glitch where, when you'd read the letters from Harry found in the envelopes near the end of each chapter, the accompanying cutscene was completely white and unwatchable? Playing on Game Pass FWIW, RX 580 w/ W10 20H2.

Anyways, played through the game over the course of a couple sittings and while I thought it was strong through the first 2/3, the last 1/3 was a drag. Ending was fantastic though even if some of the late game story stuff didn't really click with me.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately not from what I can tell. I ended up using the DPI button on my mouse to increase it. Way too low by default.

Did anyone else playing on PC get a strange glitch where, when you'd read the letters from Harry found in the envelopes near the end of each chapter, the accompanying cutscene was completely white and unwatchable? Playing on Game Pass FWIW, RX 580 w/ W10 20H2.

Anyways, played through the game over the course of a couple sittings and while I thought it was strong through the first 2/3, the last 1/3 was a drag. Ending was fantastic though even if some of the late game story stuff didn't really click with me.

Yea this is a known issue. Pretty entertaining.

The Windows 10 version currently does not support the in-game video player. Therefore "Harry's letters" videos are not currently playable. This is not preventing players from progressing, as the content of the letters are voiced over and supported by subtitles. This is a known issue with Epic on Unreal Engine, that we will fix as soon as possible.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Can you go into further detail? I'm still not understanding the logic behind this puzzle. I accidentally solved it, but it's killing me not knowing how I did.

My girlfriend and I just spent an hour surfing the web, all while trying to avoid spoilers, as to what the interactable is supposed to represent/do. And we walked away with no further insight.

I understand all of the components of the puzzle and what I'm supposed to be trying to do, I'm regards to combining base words/symbols to create the more complex words/symbols. However, I just can't correlate the dial, its stars label, and the mural depicting the base word above.
Ishmae1 Okay, we finally got it with the help of a Reddit post.

The stars indicate where the simple mural's icon will land. The diamond's position always indicates north. The solution is to get the simple word's mural icon stars to land in their appropriate locations according where they are used in the complex word quadrants.

This mechanic of the puzzle would have made so much more sense to me if I could rotate the quadrant itself, rather than the star. The element of the stars coupled with the diamond was just so obtuse to me, I simply couldn't understand that logic.

Yeah, one of the notes mentions changing North, but I couldn't make the correlation.

I am glad I understand the solution now! I have been loving my time with this game. I've read quite a number of Howard Phillip Lovecraft's stories, certainly not all, but enough to be tickled pink with the tone, themes, homages, and easter eggs to his work in this game. I am excited to see where the rest of the game takes me!

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Ishmae1 Okay, we finally got it with the help of a Reddit post.

The stars indicate where the simple mural's icon will land. The diamond's position always indicates north. The solution is to get the simple word's mural icon stars to land in their appropriate locations according where they are used in the complex word quadrants.

This mechanic of the puzzle would have made so much more sense to me if I could rotate the quadrant itself, rather than the star. The element of the stars coupled with the diamond was just so obtuse to me, I simply couldn't understand that logic.

Yeah, one of the notes mentions changing North, but I couldn't make the correlation.

I am glad I understand the solution now! I have been loving my time with this game. I've read quite a number of Howard Phillip Lovecraft's stories, certainly not all, but enough to be tickled pink with the tone, themes, homages, and easter eggs to his work in this game. I am excited to see where the rest of the game takes me!
This is the only puzzle in the entire game that I did not understand the logic for, and just solved it accidentally.

Just finished the game, what a fantastic experience. Can't recommend it enough. Didn't really notice any technical issues, or not enough to prevent me hugely enjoying it. A well told story, some great puzzles and enough twists and surprises along the way to keep it fun.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only puzzle in the entire game that I did not understand the logic for, and just solved it accidentally.

Just finished the game, what a fantastic experience. Can't recommend it enough. Didn't really notice any technical issues, or not enough to prevent me hugely enjoying it. A well told story, some great puzzles and enough twists and surprises along the way to keep it fun.
Yeah finished it yesterday.
This is the studio's first game.
Absolutely great game and I'm still thinking about it.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I am currently playing this game and I am enjoying myself. Just finished Chapter 4 and I did have to search online for a solution for the wheel puzzle. I am still not sure I understand the solution. The sound is also amazing - I have been toggling between Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and I have settled with Dolby although it was a bit of a toss up.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this puzzle felt like it was either missing one more key instruction or the instruction they did give was worded so poorly as to give me the completely wrong idea. I just couldn't put all the pieces together even though I thought I understood them separately. Other than this the puzzles have been really well tuned, IMO.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I had to stop playing after 10 minutes due to motion sickness. Lots of stutter on Series X. If I pan the camera slowly it's super choppy. This has to be fixable, it's not like the game has insane next gen graphics, I hope they release a patch.

Any idea if these issues were fixed with the recent patch?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I sure wish Norah, old pal would not comment on every single thing I look at or interact with. Sincerely her old pal.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This was a great game! I haven't had the kind of 'puzzle success' feeling i got from this in a while.
banging my head against the wordphrase/star puzzle and then finally realizing it after 20 or 30 minutes was refreshing, not having an auditory hint from the character like 'i should do this' was great.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Best version to play this right now? I have a 1070/6700k PC and my Series X is on its way this week.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If I see the game in the X|S optimized category in my console (the icon of the game itself has this logo also), I am obviously inclined to think the game will have some kind of optimization for my Series S.

The game ran smoothly so it could be 60 fps. However, at certain point, as a developer, you have to think if the massive hit on resolution and overall image quality you have to make is really worth it, especially when we aren´t talking about a superfast action game in wich that framerate is almost mandatory.

Game looked pretty low-res and with low quality image to me.
I'm really not seeing any of the issues you're seeing on Series S.