• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always communicating with people, but it's via party. If you can't hear me it's because I'm already in a party.

I don't want to speak to randoms in games, because more commonly than not, their either rude or their audio quality is so poor that it's harmful to my gameplay experience.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I'll unmute my mic once random people stop calling me **** or ***** or *** or even *****. Heck, at one point someone even called me a ********.

Seriously though, I try my very best to avoid playing with randoms in multiplayer titles. And the very few times I end up playing with randoms, I stay quiet. I've had enough random verbal harassment thrown my way for absolutely no reason.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of randos I play with cram comms with useless racist, homophobic, misogynistic bullshit so I'm good, they get muted. If you wanna talk like an adult, I'm more than happy to use comms.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
This thread reminded me when I got a 360 in like 2006 and I was all excited to play online with random people so I booted up Ghost Recon and played one match and was immediately greeted with people shouting every slur imaginable. It kind of soured me with playing with randos entirely. I don't play online games a ton but I just stick to discord to play with my brother and my other friends these days. I agree with most everyone else on here, you can probably find some really great discord communities for any online game and the quality of online interaction will be much higher than with randos.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's really gaming in general. Too many introverts.
People being introverted is not the leading cause of unmuted mics and party chats. It's the rampant toxicity of online gaming communities and how that behavior is considered to be part of gaming culture.

To such a severe degree that the gaming community specifically is targeted by right wing groups for recruitment purposes.

People are tired of the BS and have the means to avoid said BS. 🤷‍♂️

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I'm usually in party chat, but sometimes my friends and I use the game chat. I for one love getting to hear the frustrated screams of the enemy players when I take them out lol.

I do almost always use game chat when I do trios on my own. People in general appreciate my communication and call outs. Makes a huge difference as OP stated.

I've been VERY lucky on Warzone and I've really not gotten any toxic randoms/music playing the few times I do go in by myself. Some annoying background noise sometimes and I just mute that one player. The regular multiplayer though? I mute all game chat, that is a fucking cesspool.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Also why is it a thing for people to turn on their mic just to blast their shitty music?

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
People being introverted is not the leading cause of unmuted mics and party chats. It's the rampant toxicity of online gaming communities and how that behavior is considered to be part of gaming culture.

To such a severe degree that the gaming community specifically is targeted by right wing groups for recruitment purposes.

People are tired of the BS and have the means to avoid said BS. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I agree about the overall issues. Even some of the Discord servers I am a part of its hard to get people to go in the voice chat lobbies. There at least you can kind of know who you're talking to and yet it can still be tough.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
talking to randoms on the internet
giphy.gif

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I tried this for the first couple weeks and found nearly every person I got paired with is straight awful. So hey, back to mute all but friends for me.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah i don't want to hear your baby crying on the back while you listen to loud music and scream at me, mr total stranger.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
When people stop listening to music or get mics that doesn't make them sound like they're playing from Silent Hill, I'll use mine. For now, the experience is too miserable.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I had someone revive me then demand I drop them all my cash. He yelled at me the rest of the match. I purposely gave away our position and got us killed.
Most of the time people have been fine.

Samoset

Oct 30, 2017
I played three matches of apex with voice chat on, all three times I was cussed at and yelled at by different people. I was playing like trash but I literally just downloaded the game. So no I'm not going to turn on voice chat to be verbally abused by strangers online. I'll never turn on voice chat for war zone or games like that again.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Main reason I play solo in battle Royale games , I don't have to disappoint others with my bad play. I only disappoint myself.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's so bad that once I played with an open mic and after the game was over, I got a PSN message calling me a nigger.

Coward didn't even have the balls to say it on the mic.

Party chat or mic off/mute all.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on Xbox just use looking for groups

In the past I've answered mic only requests on there and always get decent people to play with.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't play with randoms in Warzone let alone try to communicate with them.

PC PUBG actually isn't bad most of the time for communicating with randoms, but you're still going to end up with really low skill teammates and conflicts on how to play the game, I'm pretty sure anyone decent who mains squads in that game is using LFG with ADR requirements to find teammates.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I'm not tryna be called a jiggaboo because I can't revive you fast enough

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
:( I agree
this is the reason we don't even fill the lobby when we play Trio. Me and my friend are better off without extra member.
Fucking add duo man

You can always use the third person as a scout/bait... just stay back and slowly follow them.... and let them help you find others to kill/avoid.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Could it be that they're actually girls that are not comfortable in revealing their identity to "gamers"?

I have a few co-workers who actually play competitive shooters like PUBG and Battlefield in the office. Girls who play games are everywhere now.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
User Warned: ableist language
Never use a mic and always mute everyone when playing with randoms. Too many retards talking sh1te.
Life's too short to listen to that bollox.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Or go into solos like me (talking about those without communication, not you OP). The biggest reason I don't even use mics online (and I was planning to open a thread on this topic) is that I get ridiculed to the hell and back for my bad English pronunciation.

Main reason why I don't bother with Apex Legends. Maybe it's because I live close to the border, but I can count the times I have heard someone speaking spanish (or at all), it's like I always get sent on the most american server available.

Plus, I don't ever want to hear you speak, nor anyone in ResetERA. Sorry. There's also the usual "get on Discord and find players to play with" but since it feels like everyone wants to be the elite wolf of the pack and demand high skills with no mistakes, that doesn't seem like a fun way to play shit.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
When I played a bunch of Apex during season 1 I mostly played with randoms and tried to use my mic, and surprisingly most of those who spoke were mature and not unpleasant to talk to. Not sure I want to mess around with randoms at all in Warzone though knowing how the CoD randoms can be. If I don't have friends online to play with I will just solo queue or not play.

I don't know how Apex is now but it really surprised me back then. I was literally on edge every game when I'd ask if anybody had a mic, expecting idiocy or ignorance, but was mostly surprised to not get that. I think one time somebody threw out the N word as a question. It had me questioning whether I wanted to continue trying to speak to randoms but there weren't any other incidences aside from that.

But yeah, I'm a little hesitant to bother trying with Warzone and will just stick with friends or solos.

tioslash

Oct 29, 2017
I have used a mic to communicate with players well over a decade playing Counter-Strike 1.6 and it was very fun the vast majority of the time, of course with the usual disrespectful person here and there but still. Lots of laughs and countless friends made.

Fastforward to CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, etc and it seems that as soon as I join the team there are 3 out of 4 team mates screaming at me if I don´t know every single stupid place name in the map, or if I miss a shot, lose the round, etc etc. Same thing applies for battleroyale games that I´ve tried. So I don´t have the patience for this anymore. I either look for multiplayer games that allow me to play solo in peace or mute everyone.

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish there was an actual language filter when matchmaking with people or something. Chances are I'd be far more comfortable speaking to other Latin American players rather than random Brads from Texas and Ohio. I'm not saying it would reduce the toxicity and I'd love to practice my English speaking skills, but no with white Americans. Been insulted far too much to feel comfortable playing with them, if I'm being honest.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Last time I used a mic to talk to randoms was in the 360 days when I was younger and would talk trash in an innocent way. Now? Someone is almost always saying the n word or there are children yelling at each other. I only use a mic when talking with my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.