• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own Modern Warfare but decided to buy the Battle Pass in Warzone to get some cool skins for my operator. Turns out the two max level operator skins for Ghost and a four others are locked behind a Modern Warfare paywall.

The way you get certain skins in this BP is that when you hit the level they unlock a couple of missions you do in game to unlock them. I noticed the Level 100 Ghost skins need you to "Use The Ghost operator in a Deathmatch mission" and another skin requires you to "Use this operator in Groundwar Missions" These are two gametypes Warzone only players don't have access to. The other 4 are skins for character you don't have access to without MW.

I've never seen such a thing in a Battlepass before and I'm pretty sure I never got a warning stating I wouldn't be able to have access every skin in this pass without The base game. They should make it clear what is accessible and what isn't to free players before they buy the pass.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
It's definitely a strange issue because you can't expect them to remove the challenges that incentivize people to play regular MP but you don't want people to not have access to a thing they bought.

Guess they should really add a warning.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I hope the next season is more considerate of things like this. The MW battle pass is honestly a slow dull grind with a huge amount of filler.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible decision. They probably need a modified, separate battlepass for people that only have Warzone.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an awkward thing since the pass was before warzone came out. Maybe they patch the prerequisites or season 3 takes account of warzone only players.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Why that? While this question might be off-topic, isn't the Battle Pass a good way to move forward for F2P and deliver quality content to the players (when it does ofc)?
Because people are paying money to unlock access to pay every minute of their free time to unlock each item in the pass. Even if these players spend every single available minute in the game's ecosystem, there's no guarantee they'll unlock the items within the window.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody needs to stop buying battlepasses.
No. I like cosmetics and if I am planning to play a game I get a much better deal from battlepasses(they also often pay for themselves) than I do buying a single cosmetic item for the same price. That being said I only buy them when I'm planning on putting a significant amount of time into a game. This thread is about an entirely different issue that i have never seen in a battle pass.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Because people are paying money to unlock access to pay every minute of their free time to unlock each item in the pass. Even if these players spend every single available minute in the game's ecosystem, there's no guarantee they'll unlock the items within the window.

I mean, yeah, sure, you're paying to gain access to unlockable item following your play time, but isn't hat a good thing for a F2P? Sure, it would be more ethical if the game would refund you based on the number of level you didn't achieve (like, if there's 100 level and the Battle Pass is 10$, you would get a refund of 0.10$ for each level you didn't reach), but in the end, it's up to people to decide how much time they want to invest into a game, and so pay for this or not.

But sure, I do prefer in-game shop with reasonable prices.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you say people play these games to begin with?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I mean, yeah, sure, you're paying to gain access to unlockable item following your play time, but isn't hat a good thing for a F2P? Sure, it would be more ethical if the game would refund you based on the number of level you didn't achieve (like, if there's 100 level and the Battle Pass is 10$, you would get a refund of 0.10$ for each level you didn't reach), but in the end, it's up to people to decide how much time they want to invest into a game, and so pay for this or not.

But sure, I do prefer in-game shop with reasonable prices.
I personally think that cosmetics are worth nothing - literally $0. They don't affect gameplay, they aren't new maps or interactions or plot or abilities. They're just skins.

That said ... why don't they just release the entire item pack for the same price? Why does there need to be this enormous time investment as well? It's scummy behavior to take somebody's money and then demand their time on top. If a battle pass is $10, just give all of the items up front for the same price.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the next pass will allow for Warzone mission.

The 100 level Ghost skin is pretty cool. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to grind for it though

Oct 25, 2017
I mean IW has been extremely incompetent with this game so far, it probably didn't even cross their mind.
They'll probably edit the challenges in a week.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You reckon you'll hit level 100 in 24 days? Double xp is only on for another 2 days so after that you're gonna be levelling up the pass at half the speed you are now...

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Pretty sure it shares the same Battle Pass as Modern Warfare, so something may change next season. I personally don't really see a problem with it, but instead of incentivizing this way, perhaps there should just be additional unlocks for MW owners.

To be honest, I'm about halfway through the Battle Pass and don't really have a clue what I've unlocked. Need to go through it.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it shares the same Battle Pass as Modern Warfare, so something may change next season. I personally don't really see a problem with it, but instead of incentivizing this way, perhaps there should just be additional unlocks for MW owners.

To be honest, I'm about halfway through the Battle Pass and don't really have a clue what I've unlocked. Need to go through it.
well the problem is buying a battlepass and being locked out of content without warning. You need to click on the skin and see quest details in order to realize you need MW to be able to get it yet it's prominently displayed on the Bsttlepass along with everything else.

If it simply had a warning that certain items only unlock for MW owners then I would have been more understanding.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I mean let's be honest here, Warzone is the first Battle Royale that doesn't provide a remotely level playing field. Pay-to-win and grind-to-win.

Dec 31, 2017
I personally think that cosmetics are worth nothing - literally $0. They don't affect gameplay, they aren't new maps or interactions or plot or abilities. They're just skins.

That said ... why don't they just release the entire item pack for the same price? Why does there need to be this enormous time investment as well? It's scummy behavior to take somebody's money and then demand their time on top. If a battle pass is $10, just give all of the items up front for the same price.
I play Fortnite personally, and in that game you level up during the season and decide whenever you want if you want to pay or not. If it's not worth it (like you didn't have time to play enough) then it's really up to you if you want to pay or not. If you reached at least lvl 100 then you get more v-bucks back than what you initially paid for, so I think it's worth it. That way you don't have to pay ahead of time and then realize you don't have time to play, you can make the decision to pay later.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the horrible Spec Ops mode in MW it seemed clear as day they were just gonna use this F2P BR as a quick cashgrab. The fact they already abandoned Blackout to do it speaks volumes of their commitment to a BR game.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I'm on 45 and didn't play today or day 1. It's gonna be super easy to hit 100.

Also to anyone saying stop buying battle passes, why? I can play these games without caring about missing out on cosmetic content. I actually bought this BP but won't be buying future ones meaning for €10 I'm getting a shit load of fun. It's great value.

Oct 25, 2017
I play Fortnite personally, and in that game you level up during the season and decide whenever you want if you want to pay or not. If it's not worth it (like you didn't have time to play enough) then it's really up to you if you want to pay or not. If you reached at least lvl 100 then you get more v-bucks back than what you initially paid for, so I think it's worth it. That way you don't have to pay ahead of time and then realize you don't have time to play, you can make the decision to pay later.
I haven't played it for a long time, but they used to have premium challenges that allowed you to level the pass much faster when you bought it. That pressured you to buy the pass early. Is this still a thing?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
From the horrible Spec Ops mode in MW it seemed clear as day they were just gonna use this F2P BR as a quick cashgrab. The fact they already abandoned Blackout to do it speaks volumes of their commitment to a BR game.
Aside from some issue in the BR mode in regards to loadouts this does not feel like a cashgrab. The game plays great and I love the map. Plunder is also quickly becoming one of my favorite MP modes I've ever played. I disagree.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Spec Ops was the mode hastily thrown into the main game because the BR wasn't ready yet.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played it for a long time, but they used to have premium challenges that allowed you to level the pass much faster when you bought it. That pressured you to buy the pass early. Is this still a thing?

I didn't buy the BP since they launched Chapter 2 (as I don't really like the new map and I used to buy all the BP in Chapter 1) but iirc, now there's no such thing as premium challenges, everyone get all the challenges available.

The only difference is that with the BP, you get XP Booster to help you level-up faster.

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's a free to play game, what did you expect? Some nonessential content will be available solely to players who own the full game.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Because it's in their rotation of games? We have a wealth of games available to us, but if you buy a battlepass, you have to cut those other ones out to get the value of the thing you purchased.
What if it's the only game you want to play? This year I personally only have 1 game planned. If you know what's coming out and you want to invest should be rewarded for your time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Warzone was probably originally planned to be a part of MW, would explain it. I guess we'll see if its fixed and then we'll know for sure

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Warzone was probably originally planned to be a part of MW, would explain it. I guess we'll see if its fixed and then we'll know for sure

This was exactly my first thought. Sad to see all the irrational attacks through this topic. Also, I saw someone say Warzone is pay to win? How so?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Modern Warfare's battle pass is very doable. On top of that like one or two weekends per season (this being one of them) they turn on double tier progress. If you played at least 2-3 matches every day (like ~30 minutes) you'd be well on your way to earning the entire battle pass by the end of the season.