• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Seems to be largely set after WW2 - there were early rumours/leaks that it would be set in an alternative timeline of WW2, and I wonder if the references to stuff like the "Fourth Reich" maybe played into that.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Will be interesting to see how close they get to the CGI scenes when they ditch the old consoles.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Weird, Battlefield V was lambasted and mocked for being alternate WW2 and DICE was open about it, now COD is doing it and I'm seeing nothing but positive comments. It's so strange seeing this on and off trend is good/bad narrative.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Weird, Battlefield V was lambasted and mocked for being alternate WW2 and DICE was open about it, now COD is doing it and I'm seeing nothing but positive comments. It's so strange seeing this on and off trend is good/bad narrative.
Are you legitimately incapable of seeing the enormous difference between the 2?

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
There's nothing weird, two totally different situations

Vanguard plot and characters all fit very well with WW2 honestly

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. I'm only interested in the campaign though.

But i'll wait for Digital Foundry before i decide which version i might buy.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Are you legitimately incapable of seeing the enormous difference between the 2?

There's nothing weird, two totally different situations

Vanguard plot and characters all fit very well with WW2 honestly

What is there to say?

Both games have British soldiers fighting for the S.O.E in Africa. People complained about the setting for BFV.
This game has a Female Russian Sniper, BFV has a Female Norwegian fighter which was a real thing . People complained about it
This game has characters based on historical soldiers, BFV took nods from real soldiers. People complained about it.
This game has red-cordial and sugar skins for guns, BFV had a few crazy skins also. People complained about it.
BFV has the Pacific/Japanese conflict. This game has the Pacific/Japanese conflict. People liked the setting and said this is what it should have been in the first place/ "Familiar/iconic places" or whatever.
BFV did not have Russia, but there were mined files saying Russia was coming as a faction.

If anything there are similarities all over the place.

Edit : Fuck me, both BFVs and COD:Vs British S.O.E soldiers are explosives experts.

Last edited:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The core fan base and their expectations for the two series is completely different, I'm sure you know that. Battlefield has allways been the more realistic and hardcore one, COD is the lighter, more arcadey and over the top series.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The core fan base and their expectations for the two series is completely different, I'm sure you know that. Battlefield has allways been the more realistic and hardcore one, COD is the lighter, more arcadey and over the top series.

Battlefield has always been the more hardcore and realistic one? Like that time they had UFOs and Jetpacks?

And Mechs?

And Electronic disruptor weapons in WW2?

And futuristic railguns in modern times?

And finally the god damn Rendezook.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
CoD campaigns are a guilty pleasure of mine. This one is shaping up to be pretty cinematic by the looks of it, so I'm excited.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
What is there to say?

Both games have British soldiers fighting for the S.O.E in Africa. People complained about the setting for BFV.
This game has a Female Russian Sniper, BFV has a Female Norwegian fighter which was a real thing . People complained about it
This game has characters based on historical soldiers, BFV took nods from real soldiers. People complained about it.
This game has red-cordial and sugar skins for guns, BFV had a few crazy skins also. People complained about it.
BFV has the Pacific/Japanese conflict. This game has the Pacific/Japanese conflict. People liked the setting and said this is what it should have been in the first place/ "Familiar/iconic places" or whatever.
BFV did not have Russia, but there were mined files saying Russia was coming as a faction.

Battlefield and COD are not the same thing, fanbase are different and also the art-styles are completely different

Are you really comparing this

battlefield-v.png

DePReA7X0AAIBvf.jpg

With this

VGD_Beta-Guide-TOUT.jpg

E9hcUhKXsAg8rAK.jpg:large

Come on

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What is there to say?

Edit : Fuck me, both BFVs and COD:Vs British S.O.E soldiers are explosives experts.
I dont see outlandish prosthetics and colorful, fornite style body art/tattoos like in the BFV reveal trailer. This is also a fictional post WW2 alternate reality. BFV was straight up WW2. I dont know about that female Norwegian but a quick google says she was a nurse. Post above me adds the photographic comparisons. You sound ridiculous making this argument.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Battlefield and COD are not the same thing, fanbase are different and the also the art-style is completely different

Art style has nothing to do with subjective content. You can have 2 different games covering the same war such as Valiant Hearts and BF1.

I did not even bring up art style, I brought up content.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Art style has nothing to do with subjective content. You can have 2 different games covering the same war such as Valiant Hearts and BF1.

I did not even bring up art style, I brought up content.
People were mad because the game looked like a Fortnite circus with crazy prosthetics and colorful body art/tattoos in the reveal trailer, hence the art style of the game is very important for contest. Also BFV reveal trailer was a shitshow of "rambo-like" action by female soldiers with robotic arms, a bit different from what Polina Petrova is in Vanguard

If you watch Vanguard story trailer and campaign reveal trailer, you don't have anything like that at all

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I dont see outlandish prosthetics and colorful, fornite style body art/tattoos like in the BFV reveal trailer. This is also a fictional post WW2 alternate reality. BFV was straight up WW2. I dont know about that female Norwegian but a quick google says she was a nurse. Post above me adds the photographic comparisons. You sound ridiculous making this argument.

People were mad because the game looked like a Fortnite circus with crazy prosthetics and colorful body art/tattoos in the reveal trailer, hence the art style of the game is very important for contest. Also BFV reveal trailer was a shitshow of "rambo-like" action by female soldiers with robotic arms, a bit different from what Polina Petrova is in Vanguard

Oh, you mean this hinged prosthetic arm that existed at the time? This was made during WW2.

pgdnllroyoz01.jpg

And the warpaint used by the Filthy 13?
Paratrooper_applies_war_paint_111-SC-193551cropped.jpg

Warpaint was common.

ufdrnvwi25i41.png

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to say?

If I were to speculate i'd say part of it is because CoD introduced playable female characters into the multiplayer with Ghosts and into the campaign with Black Ops 3. This isn't even the first WWII CoD game to feature a playable female character. CoD WWII had Rousseau. So it's just been part of the series for years now and there's no reason for people to have expectations for that to be any different with this one.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Oh, you mean this hinged prosthetic arm that existed at the time? This was made during WW2.

pgdnllroyoz01.jpg

And the warpaint used by the Filthy 13?
Paratrooper_applies_war_paint_111-SC-193551cropped.jpg
You mean those prosthetics that were used for injured soldiers who would no longer be in frontline combat? Or do you actually believe there were handicapped women with fake arms and garish eye makeup running around the battlefield hitting people with barbwire wrapped bats??

Again, that rarely used warpaint doesnt at all resemble what was in BFV trailer. Try engaging your logical brain and not your desire to find social injustice everywhere.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020

pgdnllroyoz01.jpg
Yeah, I'm sure that battlefields were FULL of soldiers with prosthetics arms fighting like Rambo lmao

Honestly, I'm not even interested in continuing this discussion about a game reveal that happened three years ago. This thread is for Vanguard's story trailer so I'll keep commenting on that

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Cross-Forum Drama; Antagonizing Fellow Member
You mean those prosthetics that were used for injured soldiers who would no longer be in frontline combat? Or do you actually believe there were handicapped women with fake arms and garish eye makeup running around the battlefield hitting people with barbwire wrapped bats??

Again, that rarely used warpaint doesnt at all resemble what was in BFV trailer. Try engaging your logical brain and not your desire to find social injustice everywhere.

Oh you mean like this Cricket bat used as a weapon?

vqaqqaifhvp11.jpg

But you say nothing when COD:WW2 has a bat full of nails?

COD = Good! Can get away with anything because favouritism!
BFV = BAAAAD! Because things in trailer that never made it into the game!

Also remember when Troops played Atari games on the Beach in WW2?

But that doesn't cater to your narrative does it?

Or Virginia Hall who went on missions with a prosthetic leg?

Or this woman done up to fight?

french-resistance-4.webp

You a GAF troll?

Edit - Yep, you are.

mJ8QS8m.png

If I were to speculate i'd say part of it is because CoD introduced playable female characters into the multiplayer with Ghosts and into the campaign with Black Ops 3. This isn't even the first WWII CoD game to feature a playable female character. CoD WWII had Rousseau. So it's just been part of the series for years now and there's no reason for people to have expectations for that to be any different with this one.

Ah right, thanks for this level headed response. Makes some sense.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield and COD are not the same thing, fanbase are different and also the art-styles are completely different

Are you really comparing this

battlefield-v.png

DePReA7X0AAIBvf.jpg

With this

VGD_Beta-Guide-TOUT.jpg

E9hcUhKXsAg8rAK.jpg:large

Come on

To be fair.

Once Season 1 launches of Vanguard you are going to start seeing skins that look like this:

ui_loot_operator_mp_western_t9weaver_3_1.png
ui_loot_operator_mp_western_t9serpent_6_1.png
ui_loot_operator_mp_western_t9maxis_5_1.png

ui_loot_operator_mp_eastern_t9kgb_22_1.png
ui_loot_operator_mp_western_t9quicksand_2_1.png

CoD's only really have "realistic" skins exclusively for a tiny little bit before they go balls to the wall crazy.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CoD campaigns were always the reason I played those games, they are just fun.

But fuck them for last years CCP pandering, won't buy it.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
To be fair.

Once Season 1 launches of Vanguard you are going to start seeing skins that look like this:

CoD's only really have "realistic" skins exclusively for a tiny little bit before they go balls to the wall crazy.

COD:WW2 had this:

pvfserevvia61.jpg

But facepaint is bad right?

Ultimately I'm going to go out on a limb that most of the people who were getting up and angry about Battlefield 5 were not people also playing CoD which had long since had crazy skins.

BFV really wasn't anything crazy compared to what was releasing around it.

This is precisely what I was trying to say. It's kind of like how Mario games get a free pass from the whole "Free the princess" narrative, but other games get piled on for it. It's this weird "Some games are allowed to get away with things, but others can't" mentality I find weird, like some strange favouritism.

I almost forgot, COD:WW2 had Atari 2600 consoles on the beaches of Normandy, trying to remember when WW2 troops played video games in WW2.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
COD:WW2 had this:

pvfserevvia61.jpg

But facepaint is bad right?

Ultimately I'm going to go out on a limb that most of the people who were getting up and angry about Battlefield 5 were not people also playing CoD which had long since had crazy skins.

BFV really wasn't anything crazy compared to what was releasing around it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Looks great. Love a good 5-6hr CoD single player binge.

I'm still most interested in how they will handle zombie mode. Outbreak in Cold War was an absolute game changer and the best thing CoD has ever brought to the table IMO. If I don't get something comparable, I'm not sure how long Vanguard will keep my attention.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
CoD campaigns were always the reason I played those games, they are just fun.

But fuck them for last years CCP pandering, won't buy it.

I'm quite keen to try out Cold War just for its SP. I got a boxed copy of the Legacy Edition of Infinite Warfare for the MW remake back in day (was a steal at ÂŁ10 as well), and I wound up enjoying Infinite Warfare's campaign as much as anything else.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I'm quite keen to try out Cold War just for its SP. I got a boxed copy of the Legacy Edition of Infinite Warfare for the MW remake back in day (was a steal at ÂŁ10 as well), and I wound up enjoying Infinite Warfare's campaign as much as anything else.
I liked it but at this point I think they are trying a bit too hard with the Black Ops formula.

I'm also curious of Vanguard's campaign but I'm not paying 60 bucks for a 6 hour campaign.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Casting Laura Bailey for a russian role speaking with a heavy russian accent is certainly a choice.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like Call of Duty and Battlefield have two completely different audiences...

...Maybe EA should get the memo and get over their one-way "rivalry" with CoD and work on a Battlefield game for the Battlefield audience before they lose all of us to Squad and Hell Let Loose.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Love CoD campaigns but this looks like the most generic disjointed one yet to me. Usually the trailers pull me around and get me hyped but I'm just not at all feeling it this year. I'd be happy to be wrong but everything about this year just feels like it's gearing up to be the worst CoD in a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Love CoD campaigns but this looks like the most generic disjointed one yet to me. Usually the trailers pull me around and get me hyped but I'm just not at all feeling it this year. I'd be happy to be wrong but everything about this year just feels like it's gearing up to be the worst CoD in a long time.
Multiplayer will be much better than Cold War at least(besides the boring WW2 theme)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
We were the tip of the spear. We...were the vanguard.

Digital preorders get instant access to the night raid mastercraft and Operator Arthur Kingsley!

May 25, 2019
London
I think that's a pretty good trailer, it makes me almost forget the campaign will be pretty short and forgettable.

Major eye roll at people trying to drag BF V into this to prove a point. Go watch that reveal trailer again for that game, there's a segment where the player is repeatedly going supine and getting back up on a hill like 3-4 times in quick succession, firing three bullets from an LMG before reloading it...it's just nonsense

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's corny as hell. Might as well cast Troy Baker as as japanese general and Nolan North as a fighter in the West African Division. These thick, faked accents imitating other cultures are ridicolous either way, but doubly so coming from voices that are so recognizable. If you want an english speaking russian, cast an english speaking russian.

And yes, the same goes for movies, because I'm guessing that would be the reply to this^^

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hopefully doesn't share the gameplay of WW2. Give me ammo! Give me health! Bomb here! Blah blah blah. Just let me shoot things.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's corny as hell. Might as well cast Troy Baker as as japanese general and Nolan North as a fighter in the West African Division. These thick, faked accents imitating other cultures are ridicolous either way, but doubly some coming from voices that are so recognizable.
No, those aren't the same things lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm in the minority, but Cold War was my favorite COD mp in years. I couldn't stand the Vanguard beta.
There are elements about it in place where I can definitely say it had potential,
like I honestly prefer what it was going for over say MW19's mp

but personally Treyarch devs let it down.
Refusing to work on spawns after promising further work on them in like last Nov-Dec*
+ their general love of revenge spawns just ruin their games
Their new weapon = super op till the next new weapon replaces it mentality and them being hard pressed to balance them before then

lastly them bringing old maps back without remotely being themed to the setting just kills me and feels lazy especially when that previously wasn't the case.

*there is literally some kind of issue in the code where when you throw a care package it acts as an enemy tactical deployment,
Can have your entire team around you but you throw it out and enemies will start popping in feet away.