• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Xbox One X, Xbox One S, PS4 and the Pro - let's take a look at the key technological achievements delivered by Modern Warfare as they play out on all console platforms... which some surprising results.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads of everything we do: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- "(Modern Warfare) is a piece of tech designed to scale"

Resolution:
- Xbox One: 1600x900 targed w/ dynamic scaling. Bottoms at 800x900
- Some volumetric elements operate at lower than native resolution
- Base PS4: 1980x1080 w/ dynamic scaling. Bottoms to 960x1080
- Xbox One X: 3840x2160 w/ dynamic scaling. Bottoms at 1920x2160
- PS4 Pro: Only console which scales both x and y axis, tops at 3840x2160p
- Temporal super sampling, filmic AA etc used to reach resolution on mid-gens.
- While Xbox gains clarity but doesn't show a monumental leap in clarity because of the filmic AA solution.

- "Frankly astonishing level of geometry ... 5X more than any previous CoD game"
- Spectral rendering praised. Light sources/ Volumetric etc also praised.
- The lower a system's resolution, the lower resolution volumetric effects which can cause 'tiling' effect on base consoles.
- Besides resolution and the knock-off effect on volumetric, other aspects have visual parity.

Performance:
- Xbox One has persistent low drops from the start of the campaign, hovering at 50.
- Xbox One also has momentarily freezes, hitches at times.
- Xbox One X also suffers drops immediately starting the campaign, but uses adaptive V-sync which can cause tearing but faster response.
- Xbox One X is the only console which uses adaptive V-Sync.
- Performance can drop to mid 40's during campaign, but no hitching like base Xbox One seen.
- XBX: 45 ~ 60 FPS window. Base Xbox 37~60 FPS window.
- XBX 120hz mode enforces V Sync, no tears and less stutters but res drops To ~1080p to 1440p.

- Base PS4 can have a ~10 FPS advantage over Base Xbox in stress areas.
- PS4 still struggles and drops but generally much better than Xbox One
- Both XBX and PS4 Pro can show IO stutters like base XBO.
- Generally PS4 Pro has a performance advantage over XBX, while XBX has advantage in clarity.

Oct 30, 2017
The summary sounds about the same from the beta, iirc. PS4 Pro seems to have the best performance and doesn't tear. But it consistently runs at a lower res than the XB1X. And the OG XB1 is really struggling comparatively.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I would have expected they would try to analyze the stress points of the X version vs the same scene in the Pro, I realize this game is a bugger to pixel count but would have been interesting to see how much more resolution the X was outputting in those scenes where it's dropping regularly vs the same scene in the Pro where it's performing better.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty impressed with Pro performance so far. I've had zero noticeable frame drops SP or MP. Image quality seems pretty damn good as well.

I'd sacrifice minor clarity like Rich mentions vs sub 40 framerates and screen tearing any day of the week.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Whilst performance is king, the beta was incredibly blurry on the X, has this changed at all in release as I'd dread to think what the PS4P version was like?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Still surprised the Pro has the best performance.
It's not entirely unprecedented, Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example had the Pro's resolution mode at 1440p (or dynamic up to that), but it was a locked 30fps. The X version was just under 4k in its resolution mode, but dropped below 30fps often (don't know if that was fixed later). Sometimes devs overshoot the X's GPU budget a tad, I bet this will eventually be fixed in the X with the dynamic scaler moving the both axis or just becoming more aggressive, as they did with Wolfenstein 2 to fix the frame rate drops there.

Oct 25, 2017
So I have the Sony X900E, and rtings says that it has a 120Hz native refresh rate. Should I turn on my Xbox One X 120Hz mode to improve performance?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably had to really add the polish to make the most of their partnership. I wouldn't be happy with marketing rights and a less shiny version of the game.

Respectfully, I disagree. PS cares about the add rights and the first on PS tag line. I'd argue DF and frames analysis doesn't get any attention outside of the core audience. COD is the dude bro of dude bro shooters drops to 45 on either platform pale in comparison to the promise of early beta and early content.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
While we already know by stuff that's come out before that the Ps4 Pro version is the best version to be playing, because it holds 60fps more than the X. I am honestly shocked the the Xbox one plays and looks as bad as it does. Wow just wow.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game is poorly optimized on the One X. The fan goes crazy in pregame lobbies but doesn't make a sound when in a match. Dropping frames a lot in campaign... I paused the game for a minute in campaign and it hardlocked and shut down my console when I returned.

RodentBR

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
As an original Xbox One owner, I'll pass it. The compromises are too big and it doesn't seem to be a proper way to play the game. Don't really care about resolution, but the performance is... rough. Maybe I'll play it when Scarlett launches next year.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The campaign was a clusterfuck to play on the Xbox One X, so many framerate issues during key moments that made firefights feel sluggish and awful.
The last level had severe issues, the character would stop sprinting when the hitches would occur, it's crazy.
Multiplayer fortunately is an entirely different story, just some minor framerate drops from what I can tell in the 6v6 modes.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
The way that this game can scale and adapt makes me believe that it would run at 4k60fps on next generation consoles without any need for a patch.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Poor optimization on x. I'm not sure why they don't let both axis scale? They need to do something about the menus, makes no sense for the system to be blowing at 100% while nothing going on.

I'm thankful for free sync on my tv as I don't see any tearing.

Oct 25, 2017
The One X is the only version that employs adaptive v-sync.
Also suffers sporadic framerates and hitches.
So bad that I played three levels of the campaign and switched to the Pro.
Fucking ridiculous that this was optimized so poorly for the 'most powerful system.'
Bought the eighty-dollar edition of this game for One X and Pro to support Activision and Infinity Ward for allowing crossplay, but might have to look into whether or not I can refund the Xbox version.
Apologies for the derail, but does anyone know what the requirements are to refund a digital purchase on Xbox?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Fucking ridiculous that this was optimized so poorly for the 'most powerful system.'
Bought the eighty-dollar edition of this game for One X and Pro to support Activision and Infinity Ward for allowing crossplay, but might have to look into whether or not I can refund the Xbox version.
Apologies for the derail, but does anyone know what the requirements are to refund a digital purchase on Xbox?
Played less than two hours and within 14 days.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017

It sounds like you feel the dip in visual clarity is worth it for the better performance. I'm thinking of making the change, too. The frame drops I can live with in the campaign, but the screen tearing sucks.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how do you do 120hz mode? o.o this work in MP?

and xbox uses HDMI which only supports up to 60hz no?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Does the Xbox One X version tear that much? I have it installed and ready to play, but just haven't found time. Don't want to watch the DF video as I don't want to spoil anything...

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you feel the dip in visual clarity is worth it for the better performance. I'm thinking of making the change, too. The frame drops I can live with in the campaign, but the screen tearing sucks.

Don't recall seeing tearing in the beta during normal competitive multiplayer.
I swear it was limited to Ground War, but I could be misremembering.
Almost/Native 4K means nothing if I'm seeing tearing at the top of the screen consistently during multiplayer and campaign, in addition to framerate issues and hitches in the latter.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Don't recall seeing tearing in the beta during normal competitive multiplayer.
I swear it was limited to Ground War, but I could be misremembering.
Almost/Native 4K means nothing if I'm seeing tearing at the top of the screen consistently during multiplayer and campaign, in addition to framerate issues and hitches in the latter.
Exactly and I would be shocked if they fixed it. Just upset with myself for falling for the hype again and purchasing on the X.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly and I would be shocked if they fixed it. Just upset with myself for falling for the hype again and purchasing on the X.

Sadly, I'd wager you're right.
When it comes to the 1X, the only thing the devs have announced is they are working with Microsoft to investigate and/or fix the crashes.
(I'm sure, if anything, Microsoft's telling them "optimize your game and it won't crash our consoles.")
Pretty absurd that the crashes are the only main issues they're recognizing on the X.
As if the stuttering, tearing, and framerate drops aren't even a concern.
Nice to see they spruced up the Pro's performance between beta and retail.
Just wish they cared enough to say the X's performance issues will be looked into (and hopefully addressed) after they get the crashes taken care of.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
While the game does look stunning, I found it strange how some vegetation are just static elements. This is visible even in the very first mission, where trees and leaves are not animated at all.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
While the game does look stunning, I found it strange how some vegetation are just static elements. This is visible even in the very first mission, where trees and leaves are not animated at all.

That's always been the case for COD games really very much like the 1st Rage game. The game does look stunning mind and it plays stunning with the best firefights since FEAR IMO. I just sad not more credit is given to the game sound effects and the quality of them. They're off the scale amazing and just fill the room with sound and really put you into the game.

Have to say the One S version looks so blocky in places while all the other version looks brilliant

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I found those split-second freezes during campaign on Pro pretty annoying.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, glad to see a good Pro version. Looks and plays incredible. A bit weird they couldn't make it run better on XboxOneX. Maybe don't prioritize res over performance?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should I try a refund on Xbox one X and get pro ? I'm already level 20 multi and didn't play solo. If it's just the campaign I'll play it once and that it. And I played only 6/10v6/10 on Xbox and didn't notice and framerate or vsync issue

I just tried the beta on pro and hated how blurry it was hence my Xbox order

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Should I try a refund on Xbox one X and get pro ? I'm already level 20 multi and didn't play solo. If it's just the campaign I'll play it once and that it. And I played only 6/10v6/10 on Xbox and didn't notice and framerate or vsync issue

I just tried the beta on pro and hated how blurry it was hence my Xbox order

If you don't notice it what difference does it make?

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I bought the PC version first and played it on the highest settings (excluding RTX) on my 1070. Because of the movie stuttering and glitches on mission 3, I double dipped on the PS4 pro version. I'm surprised at the quality of the PS4 version. Without doing a side by side comparison, the ps4 version looks quite on par with PC on its highest settings

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really hope they do something aboutt he tearing and performance on X. They probably need more agressive resolution scaling like on the Pro.