• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA

https://blog.activision.com/call-of-duty/2019-10/Feature-All-the-Intel-You-Need-on-Special-Ops

"Within Modern Warfare's Special Ops are multiple dynamic experiences that take place on a wide variety of maps. The largest and most involved multi-stage experiences unfold across a sprawling urban environment around the city of Verdansk. These 4 player matchmade activities are known as Operations.

Most of the Killstreaks you know from Multiplayer Mode, such as airstrikes and UAVs, will be accessible in Special Ops. In addition, a number of vehicles, including tanks, helicopters, and ATVs, give your squad the opportunity to tackle any Operation at hand in a variety of ways."

At launch, you will embark on four multi-stage Operations with more scheduled to come throughout the post launch seasons. All post launch Operations will be coming to all platforms simultaneously.

Missions: Complementing the multi-stage Operations, and also available across all platforms, are additional Missions, which can be played solo or with up to four players. Whereas Operations give you the widest breadth of strategic and tactical choice, Missions are a more curated experience where your proficiency with specific weapons, killstreaks, and other tools will be tested. These Missions are extremely replayable, and you're able to achieve a 1, 2, or 3-star ranking based on your performance. Naturally, there will be an "Infinity Ward time" that you can attempt to beat!"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good. And it seems these aren't just re-purposed campaign levels like the original Spec Ops missions were.

Also I wonder who that was supposed to be at the very end. Khaled Al-Asad from CoD4?

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Special Ops has been blown out in this game. It's a much bigger experience and I think people are going to dig it. Should make for a fun streaming mode, the emergent story potential is huge.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good. And it seems these aren't just re-purposed campaign levels like the original Spec Ops missions were.

Also I wonder who that was supposed to be at the very end. Khaled Al-Asad from CoD4?

I don't know if they'd actually bring Zakhaev, but that shot reminded me a lot of the end of Modern Warfare. There was also supposedly an easter egg mentioning Zakhaev Arms.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If stealth pans out as a viable option for this, I'll be happy.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Was that the Mile High Club from the first Modern Warfare at the end?
This looks like the best Cod in years.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... Survival is only for three maps? That's such a step down from the mode in MW3.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's still insane that Survival is exclusive to PS4.

Either that money train was pretty hefty from Sony, or that mode just isn't very good.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really awesome. Haven't been this hyped for a COD game since I was a teen.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Would go with how they said Survival was a very tiny part of Spec Ops.
Yeah, that statement makes a lot more sense now and seems more believable to me. Before seeing this thread, I'd assumed it would be for all maps, like it was in MW3.

I guess I'll just get the game on PC now. Was gonna get the PS4 version instead for Survival, but if it's only for three maps, I'll just wait a year.

OP
OP
Corthier

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
It looks much better than I initially anticipated and I really like that we can use our operators of either faction and loadouts. I'm just wondering if we can still earn XP, as I think I read in the past that we get xp across all modes, however only rewards are stated in the blog post. The rewards should be nice but having that extra XP would be awesome as well.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Verdansk will eventually become the rumored Battle Royale map too.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best/cheapest second-hand option close to launch? Pre-owned from GameStop?
Probably.

Alternatively, if you're able to play on PC, Green Man Gaming has all editions on sale atm I think. They did a few days ago at least.

EDIT: Nvm, just realized you may want a preowned copy due to the Blizzard stuff. Yeah, GameStop will likely be your best bet.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, I much prefer this to Zombie modes which I don't like at all. Did MW2's Spec Ops have co-op? I remember completing them solo.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, I much prefer this to Zombie modes which I don't like at all. Did MW2's Spec Ops have co-op? I remember completing them solo.
Yeah, MW2 and MW3's Spec Ops modes were playable in co-op. Can't remember the total number of players though, I only ever played with one other person.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

It had 2 player coop.

Also:

bmol3mplncr31.png

Looks like we're going back to Pripyat folks.

OP
OP
Corthier

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Two weeks starting this Friday! Pretty hyped at this rate; can see myself playing a lot of Spec Ops and living in Ground War lol.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Folks on Reddit are saying something about Spec Ops potentially being open world. Did I miss something? (I haven't watched the trailer yet)

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty cool. Shaping up to be a big package with all the modes available. Reminds me of the size of chaos theory, loads to do.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Special Ops has been blown out in this game. It's a much bigger experience and I think people are going to dig it. Should make for a fun streaming mode, the emergent story potential is huge.
I cannot wait to play it honestly it was my favourite part of MW2, and honestly I'll be playing a bunch of it here too.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Spec Ops was some of the most fun I had last gen, so hugely excited it's coming back finally. Looks awesome, and I'm glad there are still the smaller star based objectives as well.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Even if the MP is ruined by lootboxes the SP and co-op look like fun.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing Spec Ops takes place in the Ground War maps? That would make the resource expenditure on big maps for a subset of the multiplayer mode make sense.