• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Does the game still have infinite spawning enemies in the SP campaign? I stopped playing the original because of that.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

Oh, metacrigic. 86 at the moment. Higher by a tad than anything since Modern Warfare 3, though I've always found CoD metacrigics to be a little disagreeable for my tastes, and always constrained by the state of a game at launch. Like Black Ops 4 having a higher score than 3 or 2.

giphy.gif

No thank you BRO

Does the game still have infinite spawning enemies in the SP campaign? I stopped playing the original because of that.

This isn't a remaster or a remake (already had one of those). It's a reboot of the concept. The campaign is completely different.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Oh, metacrigic. 86 at the moment. Higher by a tad than anything since Modern Warfare 3, though I've always found CoD metacrigics to be a little disagreeable for my tastes, and always constrained by the state of a game at launch. Like Black Ops 4 having a higher score than 3 or 2.

giphy.gif

No thank you BRO

This isn't a remaster or a remake (already had one of those). It's a reboot of the concept. The campaign is completely different.

Im still surprised by the amount of ppl who werent aware. But i admit they didnt really make it clear enough

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Karak Big fan of your reviews. How long would you typically put into the multiplayer modes of a game like this before writing a review?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Finally a real (not "copy-paste") CoD 4 sequel.
This will satisfy my BF5 hunger probably until actual BF5.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really unsatisfied with how unbalanced multiplayer is so far due to the low TTK, bad map designs and killstreak spam. Hopefully Spec Ops and campaign make up for it.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a dumb question; can you play the whole campaign co-op? Or is the co-op a separate campaign/specops?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Cod manages to score well every year. They know how to get that right. Might be the most consistent series score and sales wise in gaming history.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Campaign is its own thing, a completely solo experience. Special Ops is the cooperative mode.

I know people love to shit on Black Ops 3's weird storyline, but it was amazing how they pulled off a seamless single player campaign with proper co-op you could play in split screen, online or with a combination of two. Had reception for the story been better I wonder if it's a feature that would have been implemented in other games in the franchise too.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sicario was fantastic. American Sniper was serviceable.

But inspiration from Sicario is exactly the thing you want to see in these games. Masterclass film.
Not about comparing quality, it's that American Sniper is right wing military propaganda.

Inspiration from Sicario would mean this would be like the anti American military intervention in the film but the game doesn't appear to be. Probably because the weapon manufacturers are getting paid in licensing fees for Call Of Duty Modern Warfare and they're tied to the military so don't want to see criticism in the story campaign.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a CoD that reviewed negatively? I feel like ones that the community dislikes are well received by critics.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a CoD that reviewed negatively? I feel like ones that the community dislikes are well received by critics.

Call Of Duty games' early reviews are always kinda misleading. First of all, it's often not even launch version, and it's played in a controlled environment with normal reviewers. No hacking, no servers failing (everything's local, or if they choose matchmaking it's with 20-30 people at max, not millions of people connected), everyone has everything unlocked, devs give out tips and suggestions on how to get the best out of the game. With such a limited time it's hard to notice what's OP, what's not balanced, what's exploitable, so in general most experiences are great.

And well, at the end of the day it's Call Of Duty. Even the worst episodes are some of the smoothest, most satisfying shooters out there with bombastic campaign setpieces, fast-paced multiplayer and an additional mode or two to play in co-op or something. I have a hard time thinking of a Call Of Duty that doesn't at least deserve high 70s or low 80s, because even the most uninspired games (see Ghosts) just felt pretty damn good to play for a while.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Not about comparing quality, it's that American Sniper is right wing military propaganda.

Inspiration from Sicario would mean this would be like the anti American military intervention in the film but the game doesn't appear to be. Probably because the weapon manufacturers are getting paid in licensing fees for Call Of Duty Modern Warfare and they're tied to the military so don't want to see criticism in the story campaign.

the campaign seems spot on so far. 4 missions in. Andweapon manufactures have always got licensing fees. Nothing wrong with that.

no different than car games or sports games.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Multiplayer is just one big unbalanced cluster fuck of a mode. For all the "grounded realism" they were going for in the campaign all that gets thrown in the trash when you boot up mp.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go for the campaign in the morning and try get through spec ops. I refuse to touch that multiplayer with a 10 ft pool lol

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The comments against many of these reviews are a bit depressing. Plenty of Edgelords proclaiming that "if you can't review the game without getting your snowflake politics involved, don't bother and get somebody who can handle weapons to do it" (?).

Strong disagree. I don't mind a tough narrative, but if the game appears to court controversy for the sake of it instead of because it adds to the story, it absolutely deserves to be called up on it.
I felt the same way about the torture scene in GTAV.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Inspiration from Sicario would mean this would be like the anti American military intervention in the film but the game doesn't appear to be.
It seems to be mostly a tonal/aesthetic inspiration; how they've tried to present its content, but not the content itself. Though there's at least a mission using NVG that's heavily inspired by Sicario/ZDT.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
the campaign seems spot on so far. 4 missions in. Andweapon manufactures have always got licensing fees. Nothing wrong with that.

no different than car games or sports games.
Spot on in terms of not being military propaganda? Not talking about quality here. You should read the article if you don't see the issue, it's beyond just licensing fees.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I'm sooo thirsty for a tight CoD campaign experience but 60 dollars for 5 hours of fun.. I dunno man :D I'm so tempted.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost was relatively negative I think? 72 on opencritic.

Most CoD games struggle to get above 80, so MW being 85 is an improvement.

It also came out not too long after Doritos-gate. Black Ops 2 already got a relatively low rating for the series despite being a fan favourite, and Ghosts was a huge step backwards from that despite the generational leap.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
The themes of this game seem like an alt right wet dream, but doesn't seem it bothers any reviewers?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
So by your logic, every modern shooter are bigoted shitholes

Only the ones where it's Middle Eastern terrorists attacking the west, prompting the in game discussion of what is the ethical limits of forcefully dealing with their gruesome attacks.

Look, the bottom line for me is that this game is jingoist trash with a racist streak, and I really hope the politics of gaming come under scrutiny by games journalists right when games are released.

Last edited: