• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
i spent a few dozen hours playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
SEE DEAL

at a review event last week, and walked away with a lot of positive impressions. Perhaps the most superficial and obvious of which is that Modern Warfare looks absolutely phenomenal. As a PC gamer in 2019, "next-generation graphics" is kind of a murky term -- but I think it applies here. Modern Warfare is running on a "new game engine" which is to say that major sections of Infinity Ward's IW engine have been rewritten and now support features like 4K and ray tracing. This new-found fidelity was certainly noticeable when I played gunfight at Gamescom 2019, but it wasn't until I sat down last week to play Modern Warfare's single-player campaign in its entirety that the full effects of the visuals really sunk in.

In the first 20 minutes of the campaign (watchable above) the new IW engine is put through its paces and then some. First the player is subjected to a cutscene created by the renowned visual effects artists at Blur Studios that is stylistically identical to in-game assets, and shortly thereafter control of "Alex," one of two playable protagonists in Modern Warfare, is assumed. This may seem like a pretty standard opener but there's a lot going on in the span of 10 seconds. First at 1:41 the pre-rendered cutscene seamlessly transitions into real-time gameplay, and then at 1:50 the camera switches smoothly from a third to first-person perspective without a cut.

But it's the composition of the first playable scene at 2:00 in the video above that really sells the impressive new look of Call of Duty. It's a familiar environment to anyone who enjoys hiking at night, but one that you've probably never seen portrayed well in a video game until now. That's because forests in video games are generally much less dense than their real-world counterparts, partially to reduce the rendering load but also to allow NPC AI to easily navigate the space. Whether the result of AI improvements or predetermined routes, this isn't the case in Modern Warfare, and the illusion of being in a real eastern European forest is complete. Furthermore, this scene is lit entirely by moonlight which can be seen directly striking the player's firearm and surrounding trees, but also being dispersed by volumetric fog that gives the horizon and eerie glow.
Read more

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The faces in this game are excellent, great sub surface scattering.

UGpMhO5.png

R1M9f6m.png

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Hyperbole imo. It looks good for sure but nowhere near "phenomenal".

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
If you're gonna say the game doesn't look great, reminder that this game is designed to run as close to 60 as possible on consoles at all time.

It looks amazing and runs really well for the hardware and looks stunning on PC and runs amazingly well.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Activision still haven't caught up to DICE when it comes to visuals. Even on a 2080Ti, this game has a weird soft, lifeless look and strange materials as though they all have similar roughness/metallic in the textures. It is very strange and waxy looking.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only played the multiplayer so far but it's extremely crisp and smooth, with excellent special effects (lights, explosions, etc.). With a rock solid 60fps it's easily the best looking multiplayer game on console right now, curious to try the further boosted and "scripted" graphics of the campaign.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
It looks fantastic and the HDR implementation is apparently top-notch. It's a shame I'd have to support Activision-Blizzard right now if I wanted to play it though.

BenjiBurltz

Mar 15, 2018
I played the first 30 mins of the campaign last night before bed and was getting bad FPS drops. On base Xbox One here. Anyone else experiencing the same? I'm not even one to normally notice / complain about frame rate but this was really bad and definitely affected my enjoyment of it.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if you can play this splitscreen online?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean Infinite Warfare on the Pro looked beyond insane (shame no one gives it the credit it deserves as a game or visually), so no surprise here.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
The game looks fucking amazing.

Smooth 4K 60 with Raytracing. What a treat.

Can't wait to dig in more.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
The RTX implementation is pretty shit. Your player character doesnt even cast shadows(probs because you are just a camera in the campaign) and the rest looks ok.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
At least on PC with RTX on I find it to be really, really impressive looking. Not really sure why people want to turn this into some pissing match of Modern Warfare vs. Battlefield though.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It does look far better than I ever expected a CoD to look. Infinite Warfare looked good but this is on another level.

I saw a the giant bomb quick look and the London level is incredibly impressive looking. The fire/explosion effects and the street/building textures really make it feel immersive.

I don't know if I'd say best looking game of this gen, but it looks undeniably good.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k support is a feature of "next gen" engines?

Does that mean 80% of my steam library is next gen?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The RTX implementation is pretty shit. Your player character doesnt even cast shadows(probs because you are just a camera in the campaign) and the rest looks ok.
Does the game deliver on it's raytraced audio? That was supposedly a feature, which would be really interesting because I can't think of any AAA game that actually does real sound propagation that isn't faked. R6 Siege for example fakes it's propagation.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I mean Infinite Warfare on the Pro looked beyond insane (shame no one gives it the credit it deserves as a game or visually), so no surprise here.

So, So true. My favorite CoD single player campaign and I loved the graphics when it came out along with my freshly new Pro :D

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Joel Emsile , the Art Director on MW and the OG really is one of the best in the biz. Joel worked on both Titan Fall games!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
but there's still the problem with every COD game where materials look diffuse and the environments lack complexity

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I think their shaders are really bad at portraying materials and the overall texel density of objects seems off. They supposedly used photogrammetry, but somehow made it look flat and terrible. I wiil agree the lighting is nice though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Really wish I still had a pc to see what it looks like in person, looks good on ps4 pro from what I saw of my brother playing though.

Oct 25, 2017
No. Which is a shame. Game looks great at times, but in the campaign at least, it has noticeable frame dips and stutters and bad tearing occasionally. I am not a person that is sensitive to these things either so I know its bad at times.

Hold up. The game runs worse on the X than the Pro? Should I get the PS4 version then?