• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's the big series overhaul. Infinity Ward's new engine shines in its campaign mode, where every level demonstrates a new rendering technique - as detailed here with exclusive behind-scenes footage. The PS4 and PS4 Pro versions are in the limelight here today as well, with a close look at how its cutting-edge tech fares on each.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How come they didn't do xbone? Weird
Not weird. We didn't have access until Friday, basically, and the guys worked all Saturday just to get this up. Wouldn't have been possible to do more for this first video - others coming soon, I'm sure. If we had access earlier, this could have been avoided.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I appreciate these videos but calling the base PS4 performance "bad" and a "horror scenario" feels hyperbolic to me.

I am a console only gamer so I can appreciate that I naturally have lower standards compared to people used to gaming on top end PCs but I don't think most console gamers would call what is shown in the video "bad" or a "horror scenario". Not ideal? Definitely. But I've played FPSs with way worse framerates than that this gen.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and plays fantastic.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Not weird. We didn't have access until Friday, basically, and the guys worked all Saturday just to get this up. Wouldn't have been possible to do more for this first video - others coming soon, I'm sure. If we had access earlier, this could have been avoided.
Did they manage to improve Xbox One S version? From what I could tell from your previous video, it was absolutely horrendous.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro version looks really impressive. Gonna probably rent it for the campaign soon.

Bossmancreepy

Oct 31, 2017
I appreciate these videos but calling the base PS4 performance "bad" and a "horror scenario" feels hyperbolic to me.

I am a console only gamer so I can appreciate that I naturally have lower standards compared to people used to gaming on top end PCs but I don't think most console gamers would call what is shown in the video "bad" or a "horror scenario". Not ideal? Definitely. But I've played FPSs with way worse framerates than that this gen.
The thing is compared to some versions the ps4 base is bad

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of strange how both of the tech analysis threads we've had on here have barely any replies when this is the most advanced CoD we've had for a while. Really interested to see the video on the PC and RTX shadows.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
My first COD since BO2 and I have to say I'm impressed with the new engine. SP looks absolutely fantastic and at times photorealistic.

MP looks great as well so far.

Edit: PS4 Pro btw. :P

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of strange how both of the tech analysis threads we've had on here have barely any replies when this is the most advanced CoD we've had for a while. Really interested to see the video on the PC and RTX shadows.

When you hardly have anything to nitpick, interest is down.

When they do a face off between xbox and and ps, we'll have more replies for obvious reasons.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
No doubt we'll have a DF vid comparing the Xbox One X version to the PC version in the interest of fairness?. The lack of a GRID comparison on all systems is puzzling too

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No doubt we'll have a DF vid comparing the Xbox One X version to the PC version in the interest of fairness?. The lack of a GRID comparison on all systems is puzzling too
Ok, I keep seeing comments like this. First, though, the video itself mentions that the Xbox video is coming.

Videos take time to make. You don't magically include different versions - each console adds a ton of time to production. Did you know that Alex and Tom worked all Saturday just to get this done?

Or that they didn't get access to the game until launch day?

I'm already working insane hours along with these guys and it's just not possible to keep up.

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Good work DF, as always.

If someone cant't wait for the next video, you can already find framerate comparision with Xboxes from VGTech:

PS4 code was provided by Activision. Call of Duty Modern Warfare frame rate comparison comparing the framerate on PS4/Pro vs Xbox One/X. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe

The version tested was 1.04 on the PS4 consoles and 1.0.4.7 on the Xbox One consoles. Default motion blur and film grain values were used for all consoles.

PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1388x1528 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 2716x1528. On PS4 Pro a form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the resolution above the natively rendered resolution. The maximum resolution that can be reached with this temporal reconstruction technique on PS4 Pro seems to be 2716x1528. The PS4 Pro appears to downsample from this resolution when outputting at 1080p.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1920x2160 and the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160. On Xbox One X a form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the resolution above the natively rendered resolution up to 3840x2160.

PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 960x1080 and the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080. PS4 uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080 when rendering below that resolution.

Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 800x900 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 1600x900. Xbox One uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1600x900 when rendering below that resolution.

Frame time spikes above 100ms can occur on all four consoles
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JWnw...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b_qY...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eOs...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l31l...
Stats: http://bit.ly/2p7bU1T
Frames Pixel Counted: https://drive.google.com/drive/folder...
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?v=svyfumqPD_w&event=video_description&q=https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gqywiuywghp1hdInldO84lTpXvdaKLje?usp=sharing&redir_token=XJ_Jw-_oINFUfp7_uq10839PqkR8MTU3MjI0NzQ5N0AxNTcyMTYxMDk3

And also some more here:

(but that capture is rather poor)

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Looking more and more like the base consoles simply aren't the target for developers now.

Next gen can't come soon enough for these lot.

The game looks pretty great on Pro and I'm sure One X and to be honest, I'm sure most people will likely live with the base PS4 performance and MP should be solid. Base Xbox is going to be a mess though isn't it.

Ok, I keep seeing comments like this. First, though, the video itself mentions that the Xbox video is coming.

Videos take time to make. You don't magically include different versions - each console adds a ton of time to production. Did you know that Alex and Tom worked all Saturday just to get this done?

I'm already working insane hours along with these guys and it's just not possible to keep up.
You know that if you can't magic up every comparison in minutes after release then you're shit incompetents.

Then of course when you miss stuff because people demand the content yesterday, you're shit incompetents for that too.

Just do what you can do in the time you can do so and don't compromise on your work for anyone else but... well your bosses!

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks great.
Will play some levels on ultra easy to enjoy the graphics a bit more when i finish.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I see. I appreciate all the hard work you guys put on these videos!

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Can we get DF thread that include comments that try to subtly imply that DF is bias? It's getting fucking obnoxious.

No need for the language or the silly insult .I See little point in comparing a game running on the PS4 to one running on the PS4 Pro in the same way Isee little point in comparing a PC game to one running on the ONE X it's a given the PRO and PC versions are going to be better . It's more interesting when consoles versions are compared to each other IMO

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019

Can anyone voice an opinion with out the need to see it as an attack ? I see no point in comparing COD running on the Pro to the base , in much the same way I don't see the point in comparing a game running on the one X to a PC Rather when the comparison is done with the game running on the base consoles and the enhanced ones; you get a fair complete picture and it's also great to see the differences

So I would rather have waited for the full complete comparison for COD and GRID. It's just a opinion, sorry ! Yes, I know and can appreciate it's hard work, but other comparison sites have for their videos up . I happen to like DF comparisons the best would like to see their take.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
No need for the language or the silly insult .I See little point in comparing a game running on the PS4 to one running on the PS4 Pro in the same way Isee little point in comparing a PC game to one running on the ONE X it's a given the PRO and PC versions are going to be better . It's more interesting when consoles versions are compared to each other IMO

You'd think that people would be most interested in just seeing how the game runs on the system they own rather than care about some comparison that is mainly useful for console wars.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here is a pretty good HDR analisis

It's one of the best HDR implementations so far.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone voice an opinion with out the need to see it as an attack ? I see no point in comparing COD running on the Pro to the base , in much the same way I don't see the point in comparing a game running on the one X to a PC Rather when the comparison is done with the game running on the base consoles and the enhanced ones; you get a fair complete picture and it's also great to see the differences

So I would rather have waited for the full complete comparison for COD and GRID. It's just a opinion, sorry ! Yes, I know and can appreciate it's hard work, but other comparison sites have for their videos up . I happen to like DF comparisons the best would like to see their take.
It's your wording that's the issue and a lack of understanding of the process. That's fine, though.

Either way, here's the thing - doing base and 'enhanced' consoles is easy because they share the same file and it's easy to line-up shots in comparison. It becomes more difficult when have two platforms.

Other sites, like VG Tech, have an advantage in that they just present the raw data. Which is great for those looking for that info! We're not here to just provide that so, if all you care about are raw numbers, go there. VG Tech is awesome too and deserves support for providing that kind of data! That's a good reason why both exist.

So, basically, the production requirements are MUCH higher when doing a fully edited piece. These guys started working on Friday and worked until Saturday night - no breaks.

I really hope to break away from people just wanting raw FPS and resolution numbers, though, as I don't think it's usually interesting and it brings out horrible console wars mentality in people which sucks..

Another thing - by waiting even longer to do all versions in one video, it ends up costing us a lot of views due to how YT works and the buzz of new releases. So it's a very tough situation. We do the best we can in the limited time available.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
All this bragging about COD's HDR. It's great but I think Gears 5 is better IMO. At least developers are taking it seriously.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

I like my games to be smooth.

That said, I grew up with a ZX Spectrum, so when I see frame rates like this described as a "horror scenario" it makes me laugh. The hyperbole around this stuff - partly thanks to these kind of comparison videos - is ridiculous.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

They only got access to the game on Friday, which was like two days ago at most, and since Sony handles the marketing, the review code they had on hands was only for PS4. And in a million years they aren't going to delay the videos further. In this business timing is crucial. Some times people just need to take content at face value and appreciate what it is.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
It's your wording that's the issue and a lack of understanding of the process. That's fine, though.

Either way, here's the thing - doing base and 'enhanced' consoles is easy because they share the same file and it's easy to line-up shots in comparison. It becomes more difficult when have two platforms.

Other sites, like VG Tech, have an advantage in that they just present the raw data. Which is great for those looking for that info! We're not here to just provide that so, if all you care about are raw numbers, go there. VG Tech is awesome too and deserves support for providing that kind of data! That's a good reason why both exist.

So, basically, the production requirements are MUCH higher when doing a fully edited piece. These guys started working on Friday and worked until Saturday night - no breaks.

I really hope to break away from people just wanting raw FPS and resolution numbers, though, as I don't think it's usually interesting and it brings out horrible console wars mentality in people which sucks..

Another thing - by waiting even longer to do all versions in one video, it ends up costing us a lot of views due to how YT works and the buzz of new releases. So it's a very tough situation. We do the best we can in the limited time available.

Just wanted to say thank you and show my respect for the team working so hard to deliver quality videos like this, it doesn't go unnoticed.

morrigan8bit

Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Looking at the VG Tech framerate video the X version is a bit all over the place. At times dips below the vanilla PS4.

Will be interesting to see the DF analysis which will go into more detail.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
They only got access to the game on Friday, which was like two days ago at most, and since Sony handles the marketing, the review code they had on hands was only for PS4. And in a million years they aren't going to delay the videos further. In this business timing is crucial. Some times people just need to take content at face value and appreciate what it is.
Yes I understand that . Do we really need DF to tell us COD will be better on the PRO? I would rather see how COD plays on the Base PS4 to that of the base Xbox One and the same for One X Vs the PRO If that meant a few weeks wait that's fair enough.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
User Warned - Platform Warring

There is no need to be condensing.

Do we really need an VS video to tell us that COD runs better on the Pro than the base PS4?
rther see how the base PS4 version plays to that of the base Xbox One ECT. If that takes a few weeks more work then that's OK .

Grid been out for a couple of weeks rather seen how the game fairs on all console platform's .Not that I see what's so great about the Switch port of a game running on Hardware that's now 19 years old ;)

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I like my games to be smooth.

That said, I grew up with a ZX Spectrum, so when I see frame rates like this described as a "horror scenario" it makes me laugh. The hyperbole around this stuff - partly thanks to these kind of comparison videos - is ridiculous.
DF is a channel for people who do care about frame rate drops, and outside of the PS4 Pro version of this game, the other consoles spend sustained stretches under 60fps. That sucks. If you don't care about such stuff and don't like it being called out, maybe you shouldn't watch their videos?

Yes I understand that . Do we really need DF to tell us COD will be better on the PRO? I would rather see how COD plays on the Base PS4 to that of the base Xbox One and the same for One X Vs the PRO If that meant a few weeks wait that's fair enough.
Maybe you should start your own YouTube channel to analyze this stuff. Since you know how to do it the right way I'm sure you'll be really successful at it. For now it would be cool if you stop you're whining in this thread.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what?

KNhEmar.png

sFZOGnT.png

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
DF is a channel for people who do care about frame rate drops, and outside of the PS4 Pro version of this game, the other consoles spend sustained stretches under 60fps. That sucks. If you don't care about such stuff and don't like it being called out, maybe you shouldn't watch their videos?

Really? Gosh I had no idea.

Seriously mate, that's not what I said was it? I just called out the hyperbolic language not the substance of the video. Some reading comprehension wouldn't go amiss on your side.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Really? Gosh I had no idea.

Seriously mate, that's not what I said was it? I just called out the hyperbolic language not the substance of the video. Some reading comprehension wouldn't go amiss on your side.
You directly complained about their analysis of games being partly to blame for other people getting upset about this stuff. I think I comprehended that line just fine.