• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 3, 2019
VreLQkA.png

xq107Yz.png

Some context:
Wikipedia said:
The Highway of Death (Arabic: طريق الموت‎ ṭarīq al-mawt) is a six-lane highway between Kuwait and Iraq, officially known as Highway 80. It runs from Kuwait City to the border town of Safwan in Iraq and then on to the Iraqi city of Basra. The road was used by Iraqi armored divisions for the 1990 Invasion of Kuwait. It was repaired after the Persian Gulf War and used by U.S. and British forces in the initial stages of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[5]

During the American led coalition offensive in the Persian Gulf War, American, Canadian, British and French aircraft and ground forces attacked retreating Iraqi military personnel attempting to leave Kuwait on the night of February 26–27, 1991, resulting in the destruction of hundreds of vehicles and the deaths of many of their occupants. Between 1,400 and 2,000 vehicles were hit or abandoned on the main Highway 80 north of Al Jahra.

The scenes of devastation on the road are some of the most recognizable images of the war, and it has been suggested that they were a factor in President George H. W. Bush's decision to declare a cessation of hostilities the next day.[6] Many Iraqi forces, however, successfully escaped across the Euphrates river, and the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency estimated that upwards of 70,000 to 80,000 troops from defeated divisions in Kuwait might have fled into Basra, evading capture.[7]

Note: Russia was not directly involved in that war

War crime me if old

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This is the issue with going

"we want to create a grounded game that takes a serious look at the realities of war"

but then actually creating a shoot shoot bang bang, America #1 game.

I don't know why the developers act like they're actually getting serious if they're just going to do stuff like this.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
It's in a fictional country though, where a rogue general in Russia has been committing war crimes for the last 20 years?

This thread is dumb if you've actually played the game. Russia is hilariously evil in this.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's in a fictional country though, where a rogue general in Russia has been committing war crimes for the last 20 years?

This thread is dumb if you've actually played the game. Russia is hilariously evil in this.
How so? It's a real event.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fictional event in a fictional country, so I wouldn't quite say that they're blaming Russia for what happened in Iraq

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So it's directly referencing a real event, but then, since it's actually a fictional event (that references the real event) it's fine that the blame is placed elsewhere?
The game is a work of fiction, so yeah, if they want to change facts around to fit the game's story.

If the game were actually saying "this is how it happened in real life" then that would be another thing entirely, but it isn't.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Jingoistic war propaganda?

The least malicious answer I can think of, other than a mistake being made and no one checking it, is they thought having the people who are supposedly the good guys of the story you're supposed to relate to can't be doing bad things.

uhh

At a certain point in the story you kidnap a mother and child and threaten to murder them to gain leverage on a terrorist.
They definitely cross a "maybe we aren't good guys" territory.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I dunno Ass Creed is also based on history but I don't think there's centuries old groups fighting each other with members of each side running the world. Why look at CoD any different?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The game is a work of fiction, so yeah, if they want to change facts around to fit the game's story.

If the game were actually saying "this is how it happened in real life" then that would be another thing entirely, but it isn't.
But it's referencing an event that actually happened? Basically inserting something that really occurred into a fictional story to excuse the shifting of facts.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Interviewer: What's the story about?
Dev: A very relevant contemporary war story.
Interviewer: Is this game political?
Dev (with a straight face): No
Interviewer: Really?
Dev: No
Dev: No, we're just making games
Interviewer: That seems insane!
Dev (same straight face): It seems insane to get political to me

So you see, this game is totally not about a proxy war between Russia and US fought in the midst of a civil war in Syria. Because it's actually set in a fictional Middle Eastern country called Urzikstan, which is undergoing a civil war where Russia and US are fighting a proxy war and there's a power hungry Russian leader. But you see the leader is a military leader and not a political leader. So it's all 100% fiction and entirely non political obviously.

IW pls
giphy.gif

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
So it's directly referencing a real event, but then, since it's actually a fictional event (that references the real event) it's fine that the blame is placed elsewhere?

I mean one of the missions is literally a copy of the Benghazi incident. Doesn't mean they're blaming the bad guys from the fictional country for it.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's clearly based off the real event and used as an inspiration for fictional even, then pinning the blame on Russia, while play as the good guys who actually took part in the very real event. I don't know if it's offensive, or tasteless, but it's just weird.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, it actually works and leads to the next plot point?
It does, but also
the gun isn't loaded at all, and they don't lay a finger on the family or the guy himself (as in hurt them). The dialogue also keeps stressing how the captive is a child killer and a bad guy. The captive breaks when the player character starts loading the gun and they leave after that. And it's kind of glossed over after.

It's basically "sometimes you gotta do some shit you don't like so that the world can sleep in peace" message, rather than "are we the baddies?".

Last edited:

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
MW takes place in the wonderful world where the US are the very good guys, fighting for liberty and all. Not even a single subtile hint of previous bad action from the US, like bombing civilians on a regular basis.
Russia on the other hand ? war crimes everywhere.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
uhh

At a certain point in the story you kidnap a mother and child and threaten to murder them to gain leverage on a terrorist.
But not really.

Crossing the line would have actually been killing the mother and child. The Russians commit total genocide and kill droves of people. You're definitely still the good guys in this game.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was shocked at how evil the Russians were in this game. They were on Nazi Germany, SDF and Federation level.

If this game was banned in Russia I would totally get it.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very political game, the parallels to Russia and Syria make the game intentionally uncomfortable. Easily the best COD campaign to date.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
MW takes place in the wonderful world where the US are the very good guys, fighting for liberty and all. Not even a single subtile hint of previous bad action from the US, like bombing civilians on a regular basis.
Russia on the other hand ? war crimes everywhere.

What? Did you play the game?
There is only one good guy and its Price. The US in this even abandons their allies to die.

Oct 27, 2017

"we want to create a grounded game that takes a serious look at the realities of war"

I don't know why the developers act like they're actually getting serious if they're just going to do stuff like this.

But America are portrayed as knee jerk assholes in this game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jingoistic war propaganda?

The least malicious answer I can think of, other than a mistake being made and no one checking it, is they thought having the people who are supposedly the good guys of the story you're supposed to relate to can't be doing bad things.
Which is incredibly ironic given that they sold this game as a real world take on war. Granted that was always pretty BS btu none the less its still ridiculous that they ever asserted this.

uhh

Do they actually follow through with that threat? Because if not its pretending to do something that it isn't.

But the creators said it wasn't political
Lmao did they really?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not trying to be condescending but this game takes a very huge deviation from the model you describe here. What you're talking about is a traditional COD game. What I played in MW was something totally different and I don't say that lightly.

You should play it.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Wow, this is pretty dumb. Coincidentally, I got a brief by a retired Marine Major about three months ago, who was there, and directed IDF on scene. US was definitely responsible. The problem with this is that someone who is not informed will just assume this to be part, or wholly true.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I'm not trying to be condescending but this game takes a very huge deviation from the model you describe here. What you're talking about is a traditional COD game. What I played in MW was something totally different and I don't say that lightly.

You should play it.

Let's be honest. They won't play it because CoD steps too far in their "principles"

I wouldn't be surprised if there's demand to ban all discussions for CoD just do they can sleep better at night

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So you're saying you didn't play the campaign?

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Americans are good at rewriting history in their favour. I dont care this is mostly a fake story. They used a real event and blamed it on the Russians.

Oct 27, 2017

Interviewer: What's the story about?
Dev: A very relevant contemporary war story.
Interviewer: Is this game political?
Dev (with a straight face): No
Dev: No
Dev: No, we're just making games
Interviewer: That seems insane!
Dev (same straight face): It seems insane to get political to me

So you see, this game is totally not about a proxy war between Russia and US fought in the midst of a civil war in Syria. Because it's actually set in a fictional Middle Eastern country called Urzikstan, which is undergoing a civil war where Russia and US are fighting a proxy war and there's a power hungry Russian leader. But you see the leader is a military leader and not a political leader. So it's all 100% fiction and entirely non political obviously.

IW pls
giphy.gif

But you see, the game is inspired by American Sniper to show real wars!

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I am tired of military games using Middle East as a backdrop and using muslims as terrorists.