• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the wake of the complete absence of gameplay footage at E3, just wanted to remind folks that Infinity Ward didn't do the multiplayer reveal for their last game (Infinite Warfare) until September.

Stay strong folks!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Has anyone seen this?

I wonder if they're going to cut some of the content mentioned in this video.

This was the same demo shown to a select few people and press outlets back at Infinity Ward headquarters back in late May.

Infinity Ward know what they're doing tbh, they're being very careful to ensure that while the scenes will be controversial, nothing will be cut.

The amount of press they're going to get come October for certain scenes being too shocking will just keep the game in the news cycle for longer than if it didn't include said scenes. It works as a means to sell copies. Hell you've got people describing the entire game as "No Russian x10000"

This is the bread and butter for the Modern Warfare series dating back to the original so this trajectory was only natural as time went on.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This was the same demo shown to a select few people and press outlets back at Infinity Ward headquarters back in late May.

Infinity Ward know what they're doing tbh, they're being very careful to ensure that while the scenes will be controversial, nothing will be cut.

The amount of press they're going to get come October for certain scenes being too shocking will just keep the game in the news cycle for longer than if it didn't include said scenes. It works as a means to sell copies. Hell you've got people describing the entire game as "No Russian x10000"

This is the bread and butter for the Modern Warfare series dating back to the original so this trajectory was only natural as time went on.

I hope you're right. I don't want controversial scenes cut out of this game in fear of a backlash.

I don't get why some at IGN think the entire game will depict what we see in this one mission. That's some low grade conclusion.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't get why some at IGN think the entire game will depict what we see in this one mission. That's some low grade conclusion.
To be fair, Infinity Ward have directly cited No Russian as a huge inspiration on the campaign for Modern Warfare (2019) so I can kinda understand that. They've said that they want the game to be a 'realistic' take on warfare, with them leaning more towards the 'war is bad' side of things which means highlighting atrocities which will by nature be controversial compared to most military shooters that are all "MURICA! FUCK YEAH!"

I mean it's literally in the reveal trailer too with Price talking about how the lines have blurred between right and wrong. In fact, the game's dialogue will change depending on if you cross a few lines or not. The opinion of your teammates will drastically shift if you were to say, kill an innocent civilian by accident during a raid.

I'm just going off the demo here but looking at Infinity Ward's history, the game will 100% be controversial for the sake of being controversial, imo. I'm of the opinion that nothing will be cut, however. The game's director has spoken out about rumors of stuff being cut with him stating that they're simply rumors, IW have no intentions of doing such things it seems.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017

I am really looking forward to this. I have said the game needed a visual overhaul for a long time now. The game looks amazing.

It is very annoying to me that people in the media want to criticize a game they probably would have no interest in playing anyway. This and a few other popular games that are coming out.

It seems like they want to completely sanitize any kind of expression that doesn't align with their moral standards.

I sincerely hope they do not censor the original creative vision for the game. All of the stories in most war games are so bland to me. So I am looking forward to something that might move me emotionally- either for the good or the bad. I just want to feel something other than the desire to rush toward the end.

Last edited:

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Well, that's a relief.

I would hate it if big companies would listen to game journalists only and not the actual fanbase or gamers in general and make changes to their campaigns based on behind-closed-doors gameplay that only they got to view.

That would be a major disservice and a major fuck you to gamers.

So, this makes me happy.

On another note, developers shouldn't also listen to gamers when it comes to artistic vision. They should do what they want to do, even if it pisses off some people.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
To be fair, Infinity Ward have directly cited No Russian as a huge inspiration on the campaign for Modern Warfare (2019) so I can kinda understand that. They've said that they want the game to be a 'realistic' take on warfare, with them leaning more towards the 'war is bad' side of things which means highlighting atrocities which will by nature be controversial compared to most military shooters that are all "MURICA! FUCK YEAH!"

I mean it's literally in the reveal trailer too with Price talking about how the lines have blurred between right and wrong. In fact, the game's dialogue will change depending on if you cross a few lines or not. The opinion of your teammates will drastically shift if you were to say, kill an innocent civilian by accident during a raid.

I'm just going off the demo here but looking at Infinity Ward's history, the game will 100% be controversial for the sake of being controversial, imo. I'm of the opinion that nothing will be cut, however. The game's director has spoken out about rumors of stuff being cut with him stating that they're simply rumors, IW have no intentions of doing such things it seems.

I had no idea about their inspiration, must have missed that part if it was quoted in this video. I'm glad they're taking the 'war is bad' route, reminds me of Specs of: The Line.

I'm surprised to find out that your actions have a moral consequence; first in a Call of Duty game.

After the abysmal Black Ops 4, I'm all in for a controversial campaign that doesn't glorify war.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
New Activision blog post about animations

"We worked on our reloads. The reload to me is the pinnacle of the weapon; it makes you feel – after you've taken down five different dudes in a room – and you reload, you go 'shit yeah, you're done!' We wanted to bring that that flair but taken to a new level where it's just like one animation."

"In the past, we would never physically show that transition of one mag to another, but this time around, everything's physical, so if you have an extended mag, like a drum perhaps, or a long magazine, all of the movements within every reload are visceral, strong, aggressive, it gives another feeling of power and representing the Tier 1 operators that utilize these machines."

I'm fuckin' thirsting for this game right now

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... First time they're making proper animations for a CoD game with real weapons, instead of water guns. Super cool. I need to see this gameplay.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they work on their sound. Battlefield has been leaps and bounds ahead in that department for at least over a decade.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Same - when will the public get some gameplay!

Rumors are saying after the next Blops 4 DLC which I think drops around the middle of this month.

We're about four months from release, so they could potentially blow out one pillar of the game each month (campaign, MP, BR and Spec Ops). But at this point I'd take a 10 second video of blasting some dudes with a silenced MP5 and reloading it :3

show us the gunplayyyyyyy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they work on their sound. Battlefield has been leaps and bounds ahead in that department for at least over a decade.
One possible idea to deal with the gun sound issue is to implement gun sound items that you could attach to your gun like camos. This way they can monetize gun sounds by putting them inside loot boxes. Legendary drop: the realistic gun sound. And you'll have to get gun sounds for each gun separately of course.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can't believe it's July and we haven't seen the game. Normally by now we're flooded with information about the game and we known when the beta will be. We haven't seen a single second of gameplay.

If they're trying to retain interest in the older COD games by not showing the newest one, it's not working.