• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This trailer doesn't show the missions that a bunch of press got to see at a pre-E3 event earlier this month.

Here's my take: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...e-reveal-old-name-new-campaign-new-brutality/

After clambering up a ladder to enter via a second-story window, you strap on night-vision goggles and begin violently killing two to four plainclothes terrorists per floor. You may be used to elaborate, even disturbing death animations when killing armored soldiers in modern video games, but the detailed graphics pipeline attached to this game's night-vision mode—with incredible light-bounce effects that add a certain realism—emphasizes just how disturbing these enemies' non-armored deaths look.

One apparent terrorist uses a woman as his human shield. Since his head is exposed, you aim accordingly, and down he goes... but then the woman bounces off that man toward a table, hands reaching for a gun. Thump-thump-thump, go the rounds into her body, after which she slumps over in horrific fashion. Two rooms later, a woman holds a crying baby up, and she turns out to be the only person in this compound to not take any bullets. (We're not sure how the final game will handle players who try to—ugh—shoot the baby.)

A few more floors and kills later, the mission is clear, and all targets have been neutralized. As if to make players feel better about this stomach-turning level of brutality, Price concludes the mission by reassuring you: that last woman you violently shot was about to trigger a bomb and blow the whole townhouse up. You had to, soldier.

The sequence's tension is compounded by an impressive destructible-wall physics pipeline, which lets both your squad and your targets shoot through walls—and thus reveal smoke, light-shaft, and particle effects with every round pumped through the building's plaster-and-fiberglass foundation. It's not just the walls. When one enemy crawls beneath a bed, you rain hellfire through its wood-and-mattress foundation to take him out.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Crossplay is nice for the PC population issue, but KB/M players are going to destroy gamepad players. Not sure if this is the right move.

Perhaps it's also the only way to keep the game not dead on PC? Didn't they have to lower player counts for BO4 so that you could actually get into Battle Royale matches?

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Cross-platform play is cool on the surface, but it makes me worried about the balance of the weapons. We'll see though

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The fucking visuals, god damn

Infinity Ward will always be the best COD studio, bring this fucking on

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys general question here about cross-platform play specifically between pc and console; in general how do games handle hackers on PC while playing against console players? do hacks not work in games with people on console? I always been curious about this.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looks fucking awesome.

Also, that nightvision shader is some real-ass looking effect there, whoa:

6DXPfDY.gif

From Digital Foundry:

Also impressive is the inclusion of what's described as 'spectral rendering' - a system that sees Call of Duty render everything in real-time beyond the visible light spectrum, encompassing infrared and thermal heat radiation. The objective here is very straightforward: lighting is extremely important in Modern Warfare, with levels authored with multiple lighting bakes that blend depending on which light sources are active and which are not. Some lighting conditions make the use of IR goggles essential, with the new system ensuring that night vision rendering is highly realistic, to the point where the light cast by the the goggles themselves is present in the scene (along with the IR reflective markers sewn into uniforms). There are gameplay opportunities here too - switching on lights can temporarily blind those wearing night vision headgear.

The integration of thermal heat radiation mapping also pays off and again, the commitment to realism is impressive. Not only are target and environment temperatures accurately rendered, the game even simulates the low resolution sensors of the various thermal equipment in use throughout, even using a reverse-JPEG algorithm to accurately render compression artefacts.

Sounds legit impressive.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Do not believe for one minute this is running on a new engine. They say that every year lmao.

Looking forward to more rectangular cars.

My article, linked above, includes hints from CoD's Polish tech studio about major upgrades to the engine to enable "five times" more geometry than in the last Infinity Ward game. But they're remaining coy on exactly how that tech works... for now. (Link again)

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
New engine has to be the best part of this announcement. About time
They claim to have a new engine every single time, and in the end it's always just another id Tech 3 upgrade.

Edit:
My article, linked above, includes hints from CoD's Polish tech studio about major upgrades to the engine to enable "five times" more geometry than in the last Infinity Ward game. But they're remaining coy on exactly how that tech works... for now. (Link again)
There it is. Another id Tech 3 upgrade :P

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Modern setting again?
New engine?
Single player is back?
Spec Ops (or something like it) is back?
No season pass?
Cross play?
No mention of battle royale?

Sounds like the best possible announcement they could have made haha

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
actually it's hugely different. Not many people at all have that on their console, just about every pc player will be using m+kb
You underestimate how popular Xim, Cronus, and a bunch others are now. It's just getting more and more popular and much more accessible than before.

Even if you just goto XIM forums alone has 100k+ members and that's optional even, even I have a XIM and I didn't make an account there no need

Plum

May 31, 2018
I hope "No Season Pass" doesn't mean "barely any new maps and monetization." The guns hidden behind 'Battle Passes', Loot Boxes and Seasonal Events were absolutely awful back in WW2 and BO4.

Game looks good, though.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Well according to gamestar you'll play as a kid during a chemical attack (they saw it in the reveal event).

Not sure how i feel about that.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People being excited about Price being back is about the equivalent of being happy with Duke Nukem returning lol. I don't get it at all.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Gotta say, the visuals are insane. That thumbnail looks like a real photo.