• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was just checking to see how much data I've used up this week to see if I can download the patch and not worry about going over this month.

It's preposterous how massive their updates are.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There was a tweet that said it was overwriting previous files to improve efficiency... I'm not really seeing a performance boost though. And I didn't see it with the previous 45GB patch.

-here:

They weren't talking gameplay performance. Optimization in terms of files. This change will make it so future patches are smaller and so that they can make a system wherein you can choose what is installed, such as being able to uninstall the campaign if you want.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
68 gigs or so on Xbox One. Its probably going to take me all night to download not to mention having to free up space. It's frankly pretty ridiculous.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
They weren't talking gameplay performance. Optimization in terms of files.
Optimising what in the files?

If not performance...or install size.. :S What, the folder structure lol. People were locked out of the game for like a week last time as it get downloading the same huge patch over and over and over. Hope it's worth it.

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
I have it on PC, but to see how big new patches are is just ridiculous. RIP 500gb ps4 users.

Even for 1tb that's an insurmountable amount of space

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty bullshit. I'm fortunate to have decent speed internet and no data cap, but this is a huge slap in the face to a lot of users, especially parents that will likely be slapped with a huge overage charge and have no idea why.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
What makes it worse is how they are throttling download speeds I have 250mb down and I'm getting an average of like 7mb/s on Blizzard.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Currently my CODMW folder on PC is 148GB.

Like the structure. Making it so that future patches will be smaller and that they can implement their upcoming system of allowing you to select what is installed.

There is a whole thread from them on this:

Okay, not bad.

Hopefully that means the next update won't be as large.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
It's insane. At this rate I will need to uninstall it at some point to have other games to play.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
At 68gb on the pc thats not a patch anymore, the witcher 3 is 51gb, this is just getting ridiculous.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Ive been complaining about this for some time. And now a 65gb patch, what the fuck. Then you still need to download shaders on PC all the time. Come the fuck on

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It's time to get that fibre optic connection if it's available. Even with it using less than a half of my connection I got it within an hour.

My ISP has a dirty trick where they give new customers a good price for a year, after which your contract ends and the prices go up...but if you ever want to get an upgrade at a decent price, even years later, you need to go without internet for 3 months to qualify for the new customer deals. You can be stuck paying the same price for years - for like 1/4 the connection speed (or less) that new customers would get. I pay 50 pence per month more now and get close to 8x the speed, but it took some work.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
At 68gb on the pc thats not a patch anymore, the witcher 3 is 51gb, this is just getting ridiculous.
Imagine an update that has a few multiplayer maps and, like, 2 guns being bigger than The Witcher 3's filesize.

Patch 1.13 added a crossbow, some fixes and new playlists and it was 19gigs. Why? How?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.14 doesnt increase the game size that much. It was around 150GB before this patch, and now its like 153GB, at least on PS4, despite the latest patch being ~50GB.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
is this patch gonna make my ps4 pro quieter and not blas off into space on the mp menu??

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bad, the two different update sizes were trending on twitter.

I was like "why the fuck is "68gb" trending...

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
So wanna take a bet on that?

nope :P

2TB SSDs need a price drop. I have 3 SSDs (an older 500GB and 2 x 1TB) and it's still not enough.

Even with a fast internet, there's nothing like having a reasonably large library for booting your games up whenever you get in the mood without having to download and set it all up, just to go cruising in GTAV for a bit. Thing is, that "large ready-to-go library" is shrinking by the day with these file sizes.

Last edited:

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't even have the game but here's what I think is going on.

A lot of games these days consolidate their files into big package files and when they need to patch existing files inside those package files, sometime they have no choice but to repackage and upload that entire file again just for relatively few changes. Those big consolidating files exist that way for a simple reason: it's easier to keep a peak read/writing speed when installing a game from the disc to a HDD/SSD if you have a few big files than if you have every file on its own, as that causes the Blu Ray drive to lose read speed by constantly seeking files on the disc.

What this patch is maybe doing, is splitting the game files into smaller package files or even down to their individual files.

But I have no actual idea if that's how the game's structured and this is just my uninformed theory.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Fuck data caps.

613 Files, 54 Folders in the main game folder after the latest patch but I'm not sure what it was before, but maybe someone else who has yet to update it can confirm Maxey's reasonable theory. (Right-click on the game folder and select Properties).

- Actually, there are about 140 files numbered sequentially that are around 1GB each in the data folder - so it does look somewhat split up. But can't say for sure what it was like before. Even if it was like that previously, they could have just organised it better now.

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I uninstalled MW a week ago cause I wanted to install Apex and Siege. These two games combined are around 30GB less than MW. This is silly.

I mean, why they didn't do what they did with previous games on Steam and allow us to download multiplayer only, for example?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the structure. Making it so that future patches will be smaller and that they can implement their upcoming system of allowing you to select what is installed.

There is a whole thread from them on this:

That's all cool, nice they are aware

File sizes really don't need to be that big but I guess it also has to be balanced again load times / performance since everything that is compressed must then be uncompressed?

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Feels like ever since 50GB Blu-ray discs became the norm for consoles, there's been either less emphasis on compression or just assets are insane now. Can't really say devs are lazy, but man... file sizes of games have just gotten too damn big.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have the game but here's what I think is going on.

A lot of games these days consolidate their files into big package files and when they need to patch existing files inside those package files, sometime they have no choice but to repackage and upload that entire file again just for relatively few changes. Those big consolidating files exist that way for a simple reason: it's easier to keep a peak read/writing speed when installing a game from the disc to a HDD/SSD if you have a few big files than if you have every file on its own, as that causes the Blu Ray drive to lose read speed by constantly seeking files on the disc.

What this patch is maybe doing, is splitting the game files into smaller package files or even down to their individual files.

But I have no actual idea if that's how the game's structured and this is just my uninformed theory.
That's precisely what the issue with MW is, It's just so ridiculously packaged together that it's impossible to do light changes on it without it being at least 10gb+

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This is the reason I didn't play the beta and deleted BLOPS 4 and (unrelated) Star Wars Battlefront 2. I cant have these 80-100 gb plus games on my PS4. They force me to delete so much shit. I haven't even replayed Doom ever because of how huge it is. I fear for Doom Eternal.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely should make the campaign data optional going forward.

So the latest version of Warframe only takes up 24GB? That's remarkable.

Edit: Version 1.82 on PS4 takes up 47 GB
And the ability to delete capaign if you are done with it
Yeah that was a couple of expanisons ago. Not just one or two maps but entire new gameplay modes.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to play tonight but decided against it because the amount of people who would've downloaded would probably be quite small lol.

im probably wrong and it would've been fine, but I thought nah, I'll leave it.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my brother bought this game in january and no lie he has not actually played it because every single time he goes to try it there's a bunch of massive shit he has to download. absolutely ridiculous.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I outright stopped playing the game because every other week they were releasing a patch that was five times the size of most full games I play. And I have gigabit internet too with no cap.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game single-handedly made people aware that they have a 1TB per month data limit.