• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Dropping PlayStation is weird since they have a close partnership and PS5 is launching soon

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Even if a deal with Sony is ending, wouldn't consoles be easier for tournament organisers to set-up and troubleshoot too? That's the big reason why fighting game tournaments never went PC

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
If it's being played on PC why are they forcing controller usage? Surely keyboard and mouse would be better for the players.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I remember some FGC pros being confused as fuck as to why Street fighter V felt so much more responsive on PC compared to PS4

Not sure how big the difference is for COD though considering they're very good with latency, but it's probably a positive thing for players

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this so that additional spectator cams can be added for the broadcast team with a custom server config?

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Weird. Even if a deal with Sony is ending, wouldn't consoles be easier for tournament organisers to set-up and troubleshoot too? That's the big reason why fighting game tournaments never went PC

All major FPS games are played on PC when it comes to eSport, from Siege to CS:GO, Overwatch and Valorant, if anything COD is the anomaly here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this wasn't already the case. It makes all the sense in the world to do this on PC, barring some exclusivity agreement.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually almost easier to troubleshoot or setup the PCs on stage than using consoles tho.

Pros use backstage PCs to warm-up which has an SSD that can be unplugged and only has Windows on it with the specific game (and maybe additional required tools) on it. There they setup their personal configs like sensitivies, resolutions n stuff and once they head to the main stage they simply plug in that SSD on the stage-PC, boot it up and everything is ready to go.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
If it's being played on PC why are they forcing controller usage? Surely keyboard and mouse would be better for the players.

Aim assist is so strong at short to mid range I would think controller would be the input selected if there was free choice.

It's a shame in my opinion, because it makes compresses the skill range. But if the players are all controlled players I guess it's understandable

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
If I were to take a guess, it's so that they can play in their own client just like how OWL works. I believe I saw a headline of CDL being DDOSed since the players were on PS4, and it was done to pros during critical matches. They would target players specifically in key moment so that fights would be uneven. If they are on PC, in their own client it might be easier to mask their IPs and whatnot. Again, just a guess.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Not exactly, I would imagine that one of the big reasons for why FGC doesn't do PC (even though it would be better to play on PC since those games are actually more responsive on PC from what I heard) is because of cost and how many games go on at one time at these events? Because don't they have multiple stages and all of that and typically at large scale FPS stuff it's just one stage that they use and they they have to focus on, so focusing on maybe just 10 PCs or so compared to 50+ that are all playing different games and where people are moving frequently between the games and all of that.

So it would be less of a hassle for FGC stuff to just use a console rather than a PC.

--------

So does that one Shotguns don't belong in FPS guys from Twitter that is a COD pro play with controller or with M+KB?

And I'm curious as to how involved Sony actually was with the COD League, I don't play COD anymore and I don't play it on PS4 so at least that aspect of the game I have not payed much attention to other than Sony handling the grand finals and stuff like that. And does Activision itself just think that this way they can take the game to new heights seeing how the only other FPS game that does stuff for consoles I think is R6S but that's just in Japan and that's not even their main tournament there I think.