• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing at some point in the last few months this had planned to be a bit of a megaton.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Im not saying they don't, I just can't honestly remember the last major release MS had exclusive content for.
Probably easier to get exclusive content deals when you have a demanding market position.

I remember for the first half of the PS360 era, MS had timed exclusives for damn near everything lol.

And as shitty as this kind of stuff is, I wish we could go back to the time when this was the worst concern. Gonna be fucking awful if we end this gen with Bethesda, Capcom, SE, Take2, WB, Ubisoft, etc. (and all their classic IP) being locked down to one of the platform holders (be it MS, Sony, Google, or Amazon).

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Platform Warring
lol It's always fun to see people trying to compare these temporary exclusives to what Microsoft does.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing at some point in the last few months this had planned to be a bit of a megaton.
Probably not given they did the same thing last year, it's just part of their shitty marketing deal after Acti stopped doing map packs. The mode will be a complete afterthought due to it like Spec Ops Survival was.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Hard to fault MS when Sony has: Bought Spiderman exclusivity for Avengers + exclusive modes/quests/skins, FF16 exclusivity for 1 year, exclusive CoD mode for 1 year, Deathloop and Ghostwire exclusivity for (forget how long) and attempted Starfield exclusivity (among whatever else is bought/in the works we don't know about yet).

At this point MS is just fighting back, anybody who picks and chooses what to be upset about is likely biased.
And loses out on tons of games due to market share and preference of devs. The number of games that come out on everything but Xbox is crazy. That's partially why they are unifying the PC and Xbox SDKs.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This is trash. Legit, I dislike this more than temporary exclusivity. But money is money I guess.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is stupid and sucks. Can't wait to sift through this thread and read all the but whataboutisms and get angry. Shit is shit even if there is more shit

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
wait is this the whole zombies mode which I assumed already has co op up to 4 players right?

or is this like a sub section of the zombies mode that is only 2 player mode?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yep it's basically a full exclusive lol.

Forgot about a year, will anyone honestly care about this mode a week after release?

I wonder how much Sony pays for these modes?they cant be paying that much if this is the sort of dull throwaway mode acti can be bothered to give them.

It's less about how good the modes are and more about reinforcing the impression that the PlayStation version is the best version and the one to get.

It's great marketing, and COD is a major system seller.

Oct 24, 2019
Hard to fault MS when Sony has: Bought Spiderman exclusivity for Avengers + exclusive modes/quests/skins, FF16 exclusivity for 1 year, exclusive CoD mode for 1 year, Deathloop and Ghostwire exclusivity for (forget how long) and attempted Starfield exclusivity (among whatever else is bought/in the works we don't know about yet).

At this point MS is just fighting back, anybody who picks and chooses what to be upset about is likely biased.

By this reasoning, it's hard to fault Sony for buying those timed exclusives you just listed, when during the Xbox 360 era Microsoft got:
-1 year timed exclusivity for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
-10 month timed exclusivity for Bioshock
- 2-9 month timed exclusivity for Fallout 3's DLC packs
-1 year timed exclusivity for Mass Effect 2
-and other smaller exclusivity deals that I'm sure I'm forgetting

They were just "fighting back" against Microsoft's exclusivity deals after all.

Listen, call out any company that you think is doing shitty things, I fully support that. But DON'T try to pretend like Sony forced or provoked Microsoft into "fighting back" as if they're some peaceful bystander and Sony started mugging them on the street.

Businesses try to secure deals that are beneficial to their console platform and their customers. They always have done it, and they always will. Sony does it, Microsoft does it, Nintendo does it.

entheo

Oct 27, 2017
That title got me! As somebody who loves CoD Zombies, only 2 players on multiplayer maps does not interest me in the slightest. Thanks Activision and Sony for keeping the exclusivity nonsense to something that I wouldn't want to play anyway.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Paying to remove content from other systems sucks no matter who does it, and they both have.. but Sony is being really aggressive about it this gen, while also being the dominant market leader. It's not a great situation IMO.

Jun 23, 2019
lol at people crying over this seeing as how MS literally just bought an entire publisher. This is nowhere on the same level and anyone trying to say so is being naive.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, standing inside the orb's barrier will protect you from Dark Aether's damage, huh?...

...nobody ever gives Call of Duty enough credit for how truly inventive and original it can be

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Exclusive stuff aside this mode looks great to me. Maybe even better than the usual zombies mode which got so complicated trying to figure out what to do and where to go next.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
By this reasoning, it's hard to fault Sony for buying those timed exclusives you just listed, when during the Xbox 360 era Microsoft got:

Listen, call out any company that you think is doing shitty things, I fully support that. But DON'T try to pretend like Sony forced or provoked Microsoft into "fighting back" as if they're some peaceful bystander and Sony started mugging them on the street.

Businesses try to secure deals that are beneficial to their console platform and their customers. They always have done it, and they always will. Sony does it, Microsoft does it, Nintendo does it.
I don't believe there was any exclusivity on Oblivion. It was originally supposed to come out year before the PS3 released, was delayed a year and iirc they had issues developing on the system (not related to the PS3 ram issue with Skyrim) and handed it off to 4J so they could continue working on FO3 and TES:V. I don't know anything about the others you mentioned though.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a side mode that I bet most of the player base will probably never bother with. Not a huge loss to Xbox/PC IMO

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, agree to disagree. Sony is clearly being more aggressive this time around in hopes to fade MS into irrelevance. Its clear by industry vets and insiders echoing similar points. Still feels like fighting back.

Oct 24, 2019
Eh, agree to disagree. Sony is clearly being more aggressive this time around in hopes to fade MS into irrelevance. Its clear by industry vets and insiders echoing similar points. Still feels like fighting back.

That seems like a thin excuse to me. Why would Microsoft securing timed exclusive deals for some of the highest profile third party games of the entire gen not count as "trying to fade Sony into irrelevance" but it counts when it subsequently happens the other way around?

We can agree to disagree, but I side with the data, and the historical data shows that this is nothing unprecedented or one-sided

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
That seems like a thin excuse to me. Why would Microsoft securing timed exclusive deals for some of the highest profile third party games of the entire gen not count as "trying to fade Sony into irrelevance" but it counts when it subsequently happens the other way around?

We can agree to disagree, but I side with the data, and the historical data shows that this is nothing unprecedented or one-sided
It arguably would not count due to market share. Sony outsold Xbox over 2:1. One is attempting to earn back marketshare, the other is utilizing its existing marketshare to further push competition out, at least on paper. In execution, especially with the looming streaming wars, the situation is not as black or white for either side here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

Because at that time Xbox was trying to battle the industry titan.... not coming from a gen where they savagely destroyed their competitor in every aspect of gaming

Oct 24, 2019
It arguably would not count due to market share. Sony outsold Xbox over 2:1. One is attempting to earn back marketshare, the other is utilizing its existing marketshare to further push competition out, at least on paper. In execution, especially with the looming streaming wars, the situation is not as black or white for either side here.

I get what you're saying but look at the numbers from the Xbox 360 / PS3 gen:

More data here

This is total sales through April 2009, and as you can see Xbox was outselling PS3 roughly 2:1. Many of those timed exclusive deals (Fallout 3 DLC, Bioshock, etc.) happened before April 2009. While Microsoft was in this dominant position they were also securing timed exclusivity for giant games like Mass Effect 2. So Microsoft wasn't fighting to earn back marketshare with those deals, it was trying to shove PS3 out of the market, just like we're seeing now that the tables are turned.

Businesses will always use a dominant position in the market to their advantage to secure more big deals, because the stronger their position already is, the cheaper big deals like that become.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I get what you're saying but look at the numbers from the Xbox 360 / PS3 gen:

More data here

This is total sales through April 2009, and as you can see Xbox was outselling PS3 roughly 2:1. Many of those timed exclusive deals (Fallout 3 DLC, Bioshock, etc.) happened before April 2009. While Microsoft was in this dominant position they were also securing timed exclusivity for giant games like Mass Effect 2. So Microsoft wasn't fighting to earn back marketshare with those deals, it was trying to shove PS3 out of the market, just like we're seeing now that the tables are turned.

Businesses will always use a dominant position in the market to their advantage to secure more big deals, because the stronger their position already is, the cheaper big deals like that become.
Oh, undoubtedly. Granted, with Mass Effect 2 they did publish the first so it may have been a contractual obligation on EA's end, but agreed overall. These deals become cheaper the more market share you get, which then begets more market share. Something of a vicious cycle for sure.

Oct 24, 2019
Because at that time Xbox was trying to battle the industry titan.... not coming from a gen where they savagely destroyed their competitor in every aspect of gaming

not true. See the data I posted above to Deo-- Xbox was absolutely in the dominant position for much of the 360/PS3 gen, and they were already in that position as they were striking big exclusivity deals. They didn't claw their way to parity and then stopped doing exclusivity deals -- they kept using their strong position to get even more big deals to try to crush PS3 even more.

It's what every business does when they find themselves in a strong position where they can get even more big deals for an even cheaper price. It's a snowball effect

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
not true. See the data I posted above to Deo-- Xbox was absolutely in the dominant position for much of the 360/PS3 gen, and they were already in that position as they were striking big exclusivity deals. They didn't claw their way to parity and then stopped doing exclusivity deals -- they kept using their strong position to get even more big deals to try to crush PS3 even more.

It's what every business does when they find themselves in a strong position where they can get even more big deals for an even cheaper price. It's a snowball effect
Please stop spreading so much truth. The narratives and victim complexes are more important.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Can't say this excites me (Can't say normal zombies excites me - don't eat me, bro). But, timed exclusive modes in AAA games still sucks. AND THEY'RE STILL PAYING FOR YEAR LONG DEALS. Cmon. I thought we were past this with Destiny.

Here's the real problem - How many people on the internet see that trailer and go "Oh shit, Zombies is exclusive to PS5?!?! Well Xbox got fucked haha, guess we're not getting it there!". Don't forget that PlayStation has the very tight marketing deal that allows them to do a pretty decent degree of narrative control. It may not be a big deal for players (and certainly isn't for me, personally). But it is a scummy move exacerbated by a kinda scummy presentation.

Jul 26, 2018
I was pissed at first until I read "2 player". Not gonna play with a stranger hahaha.

For some reason I hate 2v2's. I prefer at least 4 for my buddies to play together.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the situation where I'm getting the series X first and my mate is getting the PS5 first and we both just preordered COD on our respective systems. I just paid the same price for the game and will receive less content, so we won't be able to play that mode together. It's just a shitty move for consumers and I hate that some people seek to justify it. Again, I am paying the same price for less content, that sucks.

Jul 20, 2020
Was devastated when I thought it was the classic "zombies" mode. But its some co-op mode that won't get much play. But that's the point, confuse people into thinking Zombies is exclusive.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
More PlayStation exclusive stuff announced: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/1...ty-black-ops-cold-war-zombies-onslaught-mode/
  • Battle Pass Bundle Bonus: Unlock new gear and goodies even faster. PlayStation players that purchase the $20 Battle Pass Bundles will get an additional 5 tier skips. That's a total of 25 tier skips!
  • PlayStation Party Bonus: Teamwork makes the dream work. PlayStation players that play together in parties receive +25% bonus weapon XP. The bonus still counts when playing with cross-platform teammates.
  • Double XP Bonus: PlayStation players can look forward to exclusive Monthly Double XP events (24 hr duration), so prepare to boost your rank.
  • Extra Loadouts: Be prepared for any scenario. PlayStation players get an additional 2 loadout slots, ready for customization. Available when Create-A-Class unlocks upon reaching Level 4.