• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2018
Why are Call of Duty players the only people I've ever seen who are against skill-based matchmaking?

I pretty much universally prefer to play against people of my skill level. Playing against bad players is boring and playing against people better than I am is frustrating. Imagine if League of Legends' matchmaking ignored your rank and put you in with Diamond players even though you're Bronze, or vice versa.
THIS!

I was so confused when I was reading the comments here...

Playing with bad players is not only easy, but it can be very frustrating especially when they are in your dam team and are useless.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be clear I don't think its bad to have skill based matchmaking but its a big change for many of us who are used to how call of duty played for us. Im probably an above average player and I certainly feel the effect of SBMM compared to other entries when it comes to MW.

The big change being the fact that playing public games now feels like playing ranked. For me to hop into a lobby I feel like I have to be extremely focused rather then just wanting to play a relaxed game or two to pass some time. It also effects when I want to play in a party with friends as I have noticed they will tend to struggle more when playing together.

Like I said this probably makes the experience better for the majority so im not against it or asking for it to be changed but it does make me feel like ill never get the satisfaction of getting a nuke like I used to in games like mw2 which are some of my fondest memories of the franchise.
Would you rather have SBMM or Bots in public games? Not calling you out specifically but the same people I see criticizing SBMM complain when bots are introduced to their favorite game mode.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Would you rather have SBMM or Bots in public games? Not calling you out specifically but the same people I see criticizing SBMM complain when bots are introduced to their favorite game mode.
???
Bots are usually a result of SBMM (or MM in general) being so tight that matchmaking can't find enough players in an acceptable time period.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have an argument against SBMM that isn't inconsiderate as hell?

uhh I can't play with some of my friends cuz it's completely unfun for them when they basically get matched up against 6 players about my skill level.

Also it doesn't help you improve at the game at all. Because soon as you get better you get put into a higher skilled lobby until you get completely shat on and put back to your original skill level.

The games I play lack any type of variety, everyone is rocking the same load out and weapons (M4/MP5). This sucks hard as if you want to keep up you have to do the same or you get destroyed. The lack of variety in these lobbies make the game boring and dull fast and it doesn't allow for people to experiment with different guns and loadouts.

Also COD always had some form of SBMM, just no this strict before. So a lot of people are in favour of sbmm to protect the super low skilled players but after 11 years of the same sbmm then suddenly changing it all of sudden is kind of unfortunate and makes the game unfun for anyone that's an above average player.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Why are Call of Duty players the only people I've ever seen who are against skill-based matchmaking?

I pretty much universally prefer to play against people of my skill level. Playing against bad players is boring and playing against people better than I am is frustrating. Imagine if League of Legends' matchmaking ignored your rank and put you in with Diamond players even though you're Bronze, or vice versa.

THIS!

I was so confused when I was reading the comments here...

Playing with bad players is not only easy, but it can be very frustrating especially when they are in your dam team and are useless.

Everyone in the community hates SBMM because it punishes decent players.

Content creators who's job to cover CoD games are stressing out playing the game. The pros have all been dumping on IW from spawn, map design to SBMM.

And it screws over people who can't find players around their area and instead match them with players who're far with these 12hz tickrate sever.

It benefits nobody but the low skill players and people will go far enough to cheat the system by reverse boosting. It's not fun to play every game stressful.

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Faster TTK than BO4? I already hated how fast it was in BO4. Goddamn just bring back the Blops1 TTK, allow for actual gun fights instead of who gets seen first.

Some of my absolute favorite times in Blops was getting shot from someone I didn't see and still being able to whip around and survive long enough to actually get a kill or multiple kills.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
???
Bots are usually a result of SBMM (or MM in general) being so tight that matchmaking can't find enough players in an acceptable time period.
Yes, I'm aware of that.. But if bots were introduced they could reduce the strength of SBMM in the game. How would that go over with the playerbase I wonder.

uhh I can't play with some of my friends cuz it's completely unfun for them when they basically get matched up against 6 players about my skill level.

Also it doesn't help you improve at the game at all. Because soon as you get better you get put into a higher skilled lobby until you get completely shat on and put back to your original skill level.
So now its weighted against you (and your friends) instead of what? Being completely random and increasing the chance that you're the best player in the lobby mowing down players like your friends and topping the leaderboard every match. There are more bad players than good ones. I personally don't think that outweighs the benefits of sbmm when you take into consideration how many more people play alone or in randoms. (Ideally I would rather have a combo of bots and sbmm.) The old call of duty games did not have crossplay and the potential for huge combined playerbases and control schemes that we have today. So going back to the old days is not ideal either.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm aware of that.. But if bots were introduced they could reduce the strength of SBMM in the game. How would that go over with the playerbase I wonder.

So now its weighted against you (and your friends) instead of what? Being completely random and increasing the chance that you're the best player in the lobby mowing down players like your friends and topping the leaderboard every match. There are more bad players than good ones. I personally don't think that outweighs the benefits of sbmm when you take into consideration how many more people play alone or in randoms. (Ideally I would rather have a combo of bots and sbmm.) The old call of duty games did not have crossplay and the potential for huge combined playerbases and control schemes that we have today. So going back to the old days is not ideal either.

lol you calling getting 15 kills and dying 10 is mowing down people? So

Lol yes thats it I want to mow people down you got it. Way to ignore the entire post and the many other reasons that people provided you here.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol you calling getting 15 kills and dying 10 is mowing down people? So

Lol yes thats it I want to mow people down you got it. Way to ignore the entire post and the many other reasons that people provided you here.
I read yours and the other points. I didn't feel they were considerate of others though. The points i responded to were valid though I guess I should have said that in my post. Its not a battle my friend I'm not a developer for the game and have no stakes in this. Just looking for something more substantial than, "i have to work for my kills now etc etc."

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Faster TTK than BO4? I already hated how fast it was in BO4. Goddamn just bring back the Blops1 TTK, allow for actual gun fights instead of who gets seen first.

Some of my absolute favorite times in Blops was getting shot from someone I didn't see and still being able to whip around and survive long enough to actually get a kill or multiple kills.

What on earth
Black ops 4 TTK is much higher than Black ops 1. It's actually more than likely the highest TTK we had since the classic games

386585_juDD0UqPrZ_6569ecfa_6097_48c6_9033_f8cb2549.jpeg

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please have League Play on day 1 so I never have to deal with brain dead individuals who love to camp, shotguns, LMGs, riot shield and c4. The beta is only time I want to interact with that cesspool. My #1 wish for Cold War would be Treyarch making it extremely difficult for their competitive playlist to be played by Individuals who only troll and never take the objective serious because of their own lack of understanding esports.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The killstreak reward system (which the multiplayer games completely revolve around) require somebody to occasionally be able to stomp the opposite team to work.

Skill based matchmaking makes it very unlikely for somebody to be able to kill multiple opponents in a row - so rewards like the radar, the sentry turrets and helicopters end up mostly unused. This leads to some pretty sterile games where a good chunk of the 'meta' can't be used, and a whole lot of camping.

IMO. Been tuned out of CoD for a while.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
What on earth
Black ops 4 TTK is much higher than Black ops 1. It's actually more than likely the highest TTK we had since the classic games
Agree.

TTK around BO1 or COD 1 is perfectly fine. The rumors about 150 health but also a faster TTK than BO4 sounds good. It might lead to more different weapon damage outputs depending on calibre and range.

The TTK in MW is so fast that it feels like calibre is not even an influence at close to medium range.
That MW TTK of 277 in your image seems very high. It feels like its way faster than Cod4.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Everyone in the community does not hate skill-based matchmaking don't overstate.

The reason why I don't like it is because i'm constantly getting moved between brackets.

It's like clockwork where i'll have 4/5 'easier' games where I'll have a positive K/D and finish top of the lobby and then the next 4/5 games i'll be getting destroyed and finishing at the bottom of the lobby. It's been that way every since launch for me and I just lost all motivation to play regular multiplayer apart from when Shoot the Ship playlist is on.

The fact my K/D is bang on 1 suggests the system is working pretty well for me!

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's why MW MP sucked so much. No time for a gunfight. Blink and you're dead.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
The reason why I don't like it is because i'm constantly getting moved between brackets.

It's like clockwork where i'll have 4/5 'easier' games where I'll have a positive K/D and finish top of the lobby and then the next 4/5 games i'll be getting destroyed and finishing at the bottom of the lobby. It's been that way every since launch for me and I just lost all motivation to play regular multiplayer apart from when Shoot the Ship playlist is on.

The fact my K/D is bang on 1 suggests the system is working pretty well for me!
Yeah, same for me. It actually leads to much worse games than I was getting in the old call of dutys.

It also means that you have to play every game trying super hard with an smg or assault rifle because if I try and mess around with a sniper rifle or shotgun like the old days I just get stomped.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm curious about, if multiplayer maps are gonna be free like MW, are they going to make new Zombie maps free? or will they sell them on their own but then how much will they charge?

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I agree that SBMM makes every single game seriously intense. I can't relax for a second when playing MW MP and it can be quite stressful tbh.

I'm not even a high flying player. I usually top out the lobby a couple of games in a session but I'm really a mid table player with the SBMM lobbies I'm put into each round.

It's why I like playing Plunder in Warzone, as it's a nice change of pace. Really looking forward to the new WZ map that I'm sure we'll get.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017

The games I play lack any type of variety, everyone is rocking the same load out and weapons (M4/MP5). This sucks hard as if you want to keep up you have to do the same or you get destroyed. The lack of variety in these lobbies make the game boring and dull fast and it doesn't allow for people to experiment with different guns and loadouts.

Also COD always had some form of SBMM, just no this strict before. So a lot of people are in favour of sbmm to protect the super low skilled players but after 11 years of the same sbmm then suddenly changing it all of sudden is kind of unfortunate and makes the game unfun for anyone that's an above average player.
Yeah all of this.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet Nuketown comes later. Probably at the end of Season 1 or something like that.

BO4 has a Nuketown 24/7 playlist but it became the land of the sweats. Nothing but 2 K/D plus players calling in scorestreak after scorestreak.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Going to look amazing running on PS5/XSX. Looks like the reveal is at 10.30am pt time. (Warzone has a splash screen with the details.)

Edit - Sorry for being daft but what is 'PT' with regards to time?

Ok it's 6.30pm UK time, 10.30am Pacific Time.

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

That's not an either or.
If anything, tight SBMM will cause empty spots to be filled by bots.
What exactly was your reasoning here?

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to look amazing running on PS5/XSX. Looks like the reveal is at 10.30am uk time. (Warzone has a splash screen with the details.)

Edit - Sorry for being daft but what is 'PT' with regards to time?
Pacific Time essentially time zone for West Coast of Americas.

That's not an either or.
If anything, tight SBMM will cause empty spots to be filled by bots.
What exactly was your reasoning here?
how are we actively helping new players stay interested in the game. Its either strong sbmm or bots in my opinion. A more relaxed sbmm doesn't work as well when you have crossplay and different controller options. You're looking at it from a server perspective but I'm looking at it in terms of user experience.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Time essentially time zone for West Coast of Americas.

how are we actively helping new players stay interested in the game. Its either strong sbmm or bots in my opinion. A more relaxed sbmm doesn't work as well when you have crossplay and different controller options. You're looking at it from a server perspective but I'm looking at it in terms of user experience.

Those aren't the only options.
You can have a beginner playlist, for example, which looks at time played.

Besides, if bots were in the game, tight SBMM means MORE bots per match, not less.
Or longer queue times.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those aren't the only options.
You can have a beginner playlist, for example, which looks at time played.

Besides, if bots were in the game, tight SBMM means MORE bots per match, not less.
Or longer queue times.
That's fine. I don't mind more bots. The end goal is user experience. Making people comfortable playing the game. Also someone thats taken the time to level and get good at the game likely isn't going to leave just because they're losing matches, versus a newer player. A big playerbase is pretty important for games like this. A beginner playlist is cool too, I'd be interested to see how that works. The one in Rainbow Six is nice but requires far less players on each side.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
any good warzone streamers i should check out for this announcement

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the warzone servers wont have any problems for today's reveal at all.

AT ALL.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Where do you go in Warzone to view this?

Do i need to go in game or just on the menus?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The killstreak reward system (which the multiplayer games completely revolve around) require somebody to occasionally be able to stomp the opposite team to work.

Skill based matchmaking makes it very unlikely for somebody to be able to kill multiple opponents in a row - so rewards like the radar, the sentry turrets and helicopters end up mostly unused. This leads to some pretty sterile games where a good chunk of the 'meta' can't be used, and a whole lot of camping.

IMO. Been tuned out of CoD for a while.
Exactly, its the killstreaks. There should bring back that perk that lets you build streaks even upon death.

Status
Not open for further replies.