• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hardcore has been unplayable since Black Ops 2.
MW2 it was literally all I played besides 3rd Person Team Tactical.

I just can't conceptualize dying faster than you already do in these games, in standard modes. Some perks become useless, some killstreaks shouldn't even be bothered with and every gun essentially feels like it performs the same with the instant kill. And it attracts a more passive campy playstyle (for obvious reasons).

Can't stand it lol

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So me and two friends just got our PS5s along with copies of this game and after downloading everything, we've tried to jump into multiplayer. Problem is, we can't find each other or join a party, it just leaves us on whatever screen we were on and can't press any buttons. Any fixes for this?

I figured out the issue! When I bought my 3080 I also bought a new chassis because my old one wouldn't fit it. I think installing everything again reset my bios or something because XMP was disabled. Basically I was gaming with my ram at 2133mhz instead of 3200mhz! Enabled XMP again and now I'm in the 120 fps range with everything maxed out and the lowest dips are in the 100s!

Now the only issue I need to figure out is my CPU temp. It flip flops from 90 to 95 within the game, which is insanely hot. In comparison, other games usually top out in the 70s. And this is with a Corsair H100i Pro cooler. What temps are you getting?

Not in gaming, it isn't. Especially not GPU-intensive games. In fact, when I was worried my CPU was the reason my frames were so shit, I started looking into other processors and discovered that the gains are very very minor for an overwhelming majority of games. Definitely not worth spending a fuckton of money to upgrade right now.
Fair enough mate.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Annnnd the first hard crash during the campaign. Dope.

Edit: holy shit. Back to back crashes On the same exact mission at the same part. Treyarc lmao why?

Last edited:

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Had the same issue on my Series X in zombies mode. I deactivated raytracing and everything was fine. Played the campaign on the other hand with raytracing enabled and had not issues at all. Kinda strange, but well... its COD.

I may have to disable raytracing on my Series X as well then.

Weirdly it was also happening to me on the One X....so I dunno honestly. Treyarch have said they're looking into it. With as snappy as they've been on fixes so far, hopefully they'll sort this one out quickly.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't finished the campaign yet then this post makes sense. Otherwise I think you missed the obvious signs that America isn't portrayed in a positive light.

Well considering some of the Americans are war criminals in this, with the leader of the Western coalition black ops team being someone who
engages in literal torture and brainwashing of an enemy combatant to do their bidding, who then likely murders them in cold blood despite them helping save the world because they're a loose end in the "good ending"
I'm not sure I'd call this pro-American propaganda.

I just beat it but nothing about this franchise has changed and how they engage the gamer. It is pro American propaganda for the simple fact that
western countries, particularly the CIA and America are the ones to save the world like always in these games. Regarding your issues saying these developers portray the protagonists in a bad light and how they operate, nobody was batting an eye about Cpt Price torturing people in CoD4 beating the brakes off somebody in a barnhouse. I wouldn't be surprised if people though it was necessary. People don't see the issue with that, they just know they are the "good guy". That is my nitpick.

Let's be real, the CoD community attracts a bunch of manchildren who think they're badass and feel badass when their western country beats down the all evil mother Russia by any means necessary. I haven't played Spec Ops The Line but from what I hear that sounds like a more realistic take on how fucked up America is and they did a better job throwing it in your face so you understand you're aren't a good guy either.

With that being said, I honestly think this is one of the best CoD campaigns ever. I might put it above CoD4 and AW, while thing with MW2, which still remains the most movie-esque CoD ever. So over the top lol.

Last edited:

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Finally got my AK47 to level 40 tonight. Good God what a grind. I basically had to shift all of my focus onto just that gun tonight to get the five or six levels I needed. Still a ways to go for the final attachments though.

I will say the slow XP gain at least makes you feel like you earned the attachments. Still sucks that it's so slow.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Further campaign impressions:

Please give me more Bond/Hitman like vibes. The level where you play as the Russian was awesome, but not quite as fleshed out as I would like. Moving bodies is fun, surprisingly.

This game convinced me that short games with multiple endings is the way CoD should be. I really liked the dialogue option even if it really didn't matter until the very end. Maybe they can keep the length of future games similar while getting more in depth with their choices and how it changes the potential outcome? Unlocking/locking secret missions?

More puzzles please. The ones that need you to decrypt messages weren't particularly difficult, but I might have actually felt like an actual black operative for the first time in this entire series.

The chapters also have me anticipating a Nuketown/Firing Range combo (live fire drill), Vietnam at night, an actual red square map.

The Stanley parable mission might be the best CoD mission ever. The complete opposite of shooty shoot bang bang and all mind fuckery.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
HC is awful. Always has been. I can't see the fun in every gun being a one shot. Surprised they didn't prevent noob tube spam in the beginning.
The only reason to play HC is for headshot camos (especially on SMGs and other weapons that don't have an impactful headshot multiplier) or for the OSOK medals, which are worth 50 or 100XP (I forget how much).

Oct 25, 2017
western countries, particularly the CIA and America are the ones to save the world like always in these games.

That isn't always the case.
COD4 - British saved the world, Russians(loyalists) save the protagonist and defeat the remaining enemy when the Americans fail to arrive in time
World at War - Russian campaign had the focus
MW2 - British kill the villain American general
Black Ops 1 - okay, yes.
MW3 - Brit & a Russian defeat the franchise villain
BO2 - mostly yes, but we see Woods killing an innocent girl started all this shit,
If you play the game right the Chinese coalition saves the American fleet and fight the final battle with you against the villain
Ghosts - Rogue American is the villain, no saving the world just protecting an already destroyed America
Advanced Warfare - American PMC is the villain, protagonists are an American, Brit and a Russian woman.
BO3 - CIA are clearly villains
Infinite Warfare - UN vs Mars, main protagonists are an American, Lebanese, Robot and a Brit
WW2 - Yup
BO4 - no real story but Woods mental upload is villainous and the BO2's protagonist daughter is a supervillain.
MW19 - British, a Middle Eastern woman, a rogue American and a Russian are the heroes. American leaders don't look great
BOCW - America is entirely responsible for the threat to the world, the leaders only really care about being held responsible and losing dominance.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real, the CoD community attracts a bunch of manchildren who think they're badass and feel badass when their western country beats down the all evil mother Russia by any means necessary. I haven't played Spec Ops The Line but from what I hear that sounds like a more realistic take on how fucked up America is and they did a better job throwing it in your face so you understand you're aren't a good guy either.
"You still think you're the hero?"

It's a tedious game to play through, but after a point I started getting the feeling that was the idea. It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be sad, tedious, pathetic, and cruel. Nobody is a hero, and you're definitely the villain to many: another gung-ho symptom of American interventionism and white supremacy, stacking bodies high while the locals do better to survive without you trying to help.
COD4 - British saved the world, Russians(loyalists) save the protagonist and defeat the remaining enemy when the Americans fail to arrive in time
Black Ops 1 - okay, yes.
BO2 - mostly yes, but we see Woods killing an innocent girl started all this shit,
If you play the game right the Chinese coalition saves the American fleet and fight the final battle with you against the villain
Ghosts - Rogue American is the villain, no saving the world just protecting an already destroyed America
Advanced Warfare - American PMC is the villain, protagonists are an American, Brit and a Russian woman.
Infinite Warfare - UN vs Mars, main protagonists are an American, Lebanese, Robot and a Brit
WW2 - Yup
BO4 - no real story but Woods mental upload is villainous and the BO2's protagonist daughter is a supervillain.
MW19 - British, a Middle Eastern woman, a rogue American and a Russian are the heroes. American leaders don't look great
BOCW - America is entirely responsible for the threat to the world, the leaders only really care about being held responsible and losing dominance.
Counterpoints:

WaW: The depiction of the Japanese is incredibly racist, and the US military charging through them with a plethora of cruel instruments (like flamethrowers) is glorified, while Imperial Japanese guerilla tactics are monstrified. Japan was by no means heroic, but the patriotic overtones completely drown out any moral ambiguity that should exist, replacing it instead with a purely black and white conflict.

MW2: Shepherd's villainy and the introduction of Shadow Company (his own PMC) were done to ensure that no, this US Army General is not actually affiliated with the US Army anymore. It was lazy writing done purely for the sake of deflecting any potential criticism of US imperialism in foreign lands, making the impact MW1's American campaign retroactively as shocking as a wet noodle.

MW3: Makarov is put into the same position as Shepherd in MW2, but unlike MW2, the entire Russian military goes along with it as soon as President Vorchevsky is deposed. And upon his rescue, somehow the entire military returns to being loyal to him? Sloppy.

BO2: Unironically my favorite Call of Duty campaign because of its seeming inability to realize it's self-parody. I have nothing to refute, because the CIA is shown to be ridiculously evil, and you can take the steps to ensure America falls into anarchy and Menendez wins completely.

Ghosts: Rorke makes use of "Venezuelan interrogation techniques", and South America is implausibly made into the new world superpower so that various countries there (primarily Fox News' favorite punching bag, the aforementioned Venezuela) can be heavily demonized to justify the US having their imperialistic table flipped on them. It is, much like World at War was, racist. The only difference is a half-hearted attempt to deflect this racism by making sure the bad guy responsible for all of this (which, by the way, is a trope Infinity Ward didn't stop using until their next game) is white. "One man changes the whole world" is such a rote device, that they even lampshade it in MW3 without realizing it's self-mockery.

AW: The United States government is wholly responsible for allowing Irons and Atlas to become so powerful. They even give him a seat on the US Senate.

IW: Every main character sans Omar speaks with an American accent. The UNSA is shown to be multicultural, but every "good guy" who has a significant role to play in the story is American. The SDF is, naturally, led by an Evil Brit(TM).

MW19: The game rewriting history concerning the Highway of Death is well-documented at this point. Otherwise, it was a bold move to make the sole American protagonist defect to the insurgency, as well as depicting them in a positive light. The game certainly has other problems, but it narrowly avoids American exceptionalism. Just narrowly.

Last edited:

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm getting weird...frame drops? skips?...on the PS5 in multiplayer. It happens on the same spots in maps, regardless of online or local, and it doesn't matter if there is any actual action going on. Tried to record it with the PS5 capture. Quality isn't great, didn't realize it defaults to 1080p...but you can see it. Might not seem bad, but its pretty jarring when you're running around aiming and shooting and it happens...these are two spots on the same map...and I've run into spots like this on most of the maps in the game.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops 1 - okay, yes.
WW2 - Yup

Good point lol.

SteveByDesign

Sep 11, 2019
Has anyone else run into this?

I was installing the game, multiplayer finished first and I was playing with 120fps.

Now the game has finished installing and 120fps is disabled but I can turn Ray Tracing on or off. I checked my console it is set to 120hz. Not sure why I can't turn it back on. Just tried to MP and the FPS difference was real and I couldn't play worth shit.

WpX

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Before patch I was playing at 4K 120hz.....logged in tonight after patch and I can't get it to give me 120hz anymore

CX on a series X

Oct 27, 2017
This game is randomly turning off my Series X. Is it just me or is this a thing?
Happened to me twice today- also game's frame rate was all messed up. 120 didn't seem to be working, so put the display settings to 60hz with vrr and the game felt like it was running at 30fps. Had zero issues with the game last week, but now it's all over the place. Not sure what's going on... series x on lg cx as well. Sounds like this recent patch is going to cause this thing to brick my new Xbox... wtf activision...

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So, I'm getting weird...frame drops? skips?...on the PS5 in multiplayer. It happens on the same spots in maps, regardless of online or local, and it doesn't matter if there is any actual action going on. Tried to record it with the PS5 capture. Quality isn't great, didn't realize it defaults to 1080p...but you can see it. Might not seem bad, but its pretty jarring when you're running around aiming and shooting and it happens...these are two spots on the same map...and I've run into spots like this on most of the maps in the game.

I am also experiencing more weird performance issues on Series X since the update. Did no one test this patch?

eek

Oct 26, 2017
My friend crashed 4 games in a row on series x. Patch seems unstable to say the least

Nov 27, 2017
California
Pre patch had no crashes or low frame drops
post patch my brother had awful frame drops in zombies and it crashed on him
also random host migration/disconnected messages lol
what a mess

Xbox series x here

Jun 17, 2018
Has the new patch completely broken the game? My game will crash and then shut down my One X, it's not the console because it's the only game it happens with.. They need to fix this and quickly.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So 2 zombies trophies I popped on PS4 literally can't be regained on the PS5 version since it's a separate list but the progression is locked to each account.

Hoping they make it retroactively pop in future.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
PC here, game is still working for me. Honestly nice to see a bunch of nerfs, cause that means the overall TTK should raise a bit which is just a good thing in my opinion.

I think I've settled on a class that I'm gonna be using most of the time: AK-74u and SPAS with stim, semtex and, obviously, perk greed (flak jacket, tactical mask, scavenger, quartermaster, ninja, gung-ho). Undecided on the field upgrade, proximity mine never seems to kill anyone. Aside from the sloooow reloading I love the SPAS, and AK feels the best to me out of all the automatic weapons.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Unthinkable Inwill just finish up the campaign and then wait until the first season starts. Maybe by then this game is no longer a complete technical mess.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's 2020 and quickscoping is still a thing.

I love seeing kill cams of people pulling the trigger when the reticle is 3 feet to my side and still getting a head shot.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Anyone else have terrible black levels in this on PS5? On my OLED it looks as if I'm playing on first-gen LCD technology, it's so gray.

Edit. Yeah, HDR is broken in this game. Turned it off and it looks way better. How can't they get this right in 2020?
Edit2: Seems like it breaks specifically in performance (120hz) mode.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I should probably be playing one of the myriad single player games I'm in the middle of right now, but I'm so close to prestige that I'm just gonna grind my way there today and maybe take a few day break and return when Nuketown is back.

Currently level 52 with 15 hours played, the regular leveling speed is just fine, imo. I do hope they'll tweak the shit out of weapon leveling, though. At this pace I'll never max out a single weapon.

e: also I moved the leaderboard binding from TAB to a random key away from my left hand cause I keep obsessively checking my score all the time which, I've noticed, just makes me more anxious and frustrated when I'm not doing well lol

e2: also also, I frigging wish we could pin at least one or two challenges to show up in the pause menu. Why the heck is this still not a default thing in CoD?

Last edited: