• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The cases are great when games support Smart Delivery. When they don't, you get confusing shit like this.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Then it comes with a separate standard XB1 blu ray, because the OG XB1 can't play UHD Blu Rays. That would be really dumb for Activision to do, seeing as people would have basically two copies of the same game, one which they could easily sell or give to a friend
I mean its already dumb for Activision to do this instead of Smart Delivery

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I follow and play video games as a rather serious hobby and this shit still confuses me at times. This is definitely gonna fuck people up who have no idea what is going on.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

You cannot upgrade the base physical Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War to Xbox Series X [Must buy Cross-Gen Bundle]

Thought this was thread-worthy considering it's hidden away on the FAQ site. I wonder if this is a related stance to Ubisoft ditching physical copies of Xbox games for their collector editions...

We've talked a bit about this a few months ago in this thread but it's still a baffling and confusing design choice.
I thought this sounded familiar.

Guess their sticking with this. Interesting.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yeah that's a bit fucking dodgy, even I needed a second read of what was going on. Good luck mums and dads.

I guess this is more Activision being weird than MS since isn't their whole schtick that you just buy "Xbox" games now, rather than Xbox One or Xbox Series games? Or maybe I misread somewhere.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Microsoft sets certain guidelines for the packaging and Microsoft absolutely can enforce when what is labeled on the package. I'm not saying Activision is blame free here; I'm saying Microsoft has control over preventing the confusion from happening since it's their platform and their guidelines and it's not the only case of "Xbox Series X" being labeled on a box and misleading. So while Activision is to blame, there are clearly other instances out there beyond Activision.

Yeah...this whole scenario just seems insane. From my perspective, it could be simplifies so much more. They already have each box labeled with Xbox One and Xbox-Series X. Why such a need for so much extra labeling that really mucks it all up. I agree with you.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
Didn't MS start a partnership with GameStop? They can train the personnel to be able to tell the difference so that the customer get the correct product.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's a bit fucking dodgy, even I needed a second read of what was going on. Good luck mums and dads.

I guess this is more Activision being weird than MS since isn't their whole schtick that you just buy "Xbox" games now, rather than Xbox One or Xbox Series games? Or maybe I misread somewhere.
There was a lot of speculation (or maybe even confirmation) in the last thread that MS wasn't allowing paid digital upgrades for next gen. Either Smart Delivery or bust. So Activision's only course of action was to put out a cross gen version to get that $70 while still offering a non-upgradable $60 current gen version. It's believed that's why 505 isn't offering Control with Smart Delivery either.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
2 different versions..one for Xbox One, and one for the new Xbox Series X, which also includes the Xbox One version. But the Xbox One version advertises the Xbox Series X because it's playable on it..but the series x physical version isn't playable on the xbox one obviously...

I though XSX Physical will include the X1 ver so as they called it "cross gen edition". As such, shouldn't the XSX Physical be playable on X1 ?

Or am I missing something lol ?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't understand the difference or consequences of purchasing either one. I have no clue.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Xbox cases for next-gen in general are pretty bad.
Cloudpunk's box is a placeholder.

I think a lot of the art used in listings isn't completely up to date... like some games that didn't say "Xbox One game playable on Xbox Series X" ended up saying that on the final box.

The one I don't get is Watch Dogs. It is optimised for Series X, but the final box lists Xbox One first at the top. Do they not think the optimisations are worth shouting about?

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with digital purchases of CoD? If you buy Xbox One digitally, do you not get the Series X version?

Nov 1, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if Xbox smart delivery was originally mandatory but publishers behind the scenes threatened to remove support. So now you end up with two SKUs using almost identical boxes.

Edit: To those asking why it doesn't label support for Xbox Series S... It doesn't have an optical drive. Last thing Microsoft wants is for folk to purchase the disc for it when it doesn't work. Golly though, that's just going to further confuse the customer isn't it?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Ketchup-vs-Catsup.jpg

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
What's the deal with digital purchases of CoD? If you buy Xbox One digitally, do you not get the Series X version?
No, Activision have declined to use Smart Delivery and instead you need to buy the "cross-gen bundle" or the "Ultimate Edition". You can of course play the Standard Xbox One version on the Series X but that's via BC mode and you won't get the Series X optimisations that way

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me this is more a fault of Activision's greed for charging for next gen upgrades.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
If the Series X version is also playable on Xbox One then why is there a Xbox One sku at all?

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
No, Activision have declined to use Smart Delivery and instead you need to buy the "cross-gen bundle" or the "Ultimate Edition". You can of course play the Standard Xbox One version on the Series X but that's via BC mode and you won't get the Series X optimisations that way

Well damn. That sucks. Am I missing something here or is the Series X optimised version not out on the 13th Nov?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Well damn. That sucks. Am I missing something here or is the Series X optimised version not out on the 13th Nov?
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is scheduled for release globally November 13th for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC on Battle.net. The PlayStation 5 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is scheduled for release November 13th in the U.S. and Canada, and November 19th for the rest of the world.

Source

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
This is why Smart Delivery is a smart thing and it's baffling that Activision thought that this was a better method.

Literally couldn't be simpler for Smart Delivery games. One case, one SKU, no having to decide which one if the right one, works on both.

Its almost like activision had other reasons to make it this complicated. Did i hear double dip?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is why Smart Delivery is a smart thing and it's baffling that Activision thought that this was a better method.

Literally couldn't be simpler for Smart Delivery games. One case, one SKU, no having to decide which one if the right one, works on both.
If they are so insistent on that $10 next-gen tax, they should have just made a single SKU for $69. I guess they didn't want to upset their Xbox One fans who are accustomed to $59 pricetags, so they made them a separate discounted SKU?

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Should have went with a different color border for the One and Series.

Edit: Or at least put Series in the green boarder? I have no idea.

Dec 4, 2018
I think its probably too late to change the boxes. I was also confused and having additional marketing media is not an excuse for this marketing failure. This is a 101 marketing failure at both Activision and Microsoft.

Oh and Microsoft is also to blame... Microsoft controls the branding on the Xbox Series X and its games. Microsoft has the final say. Same with Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft allowed this to happen on their platform.

I wonder if enough tweets to Microsoft will get some kind of "XSX Enhanced" sticker at least.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So... if they both have the same game, and the game runs on both consoles no matter which one you get...

Why have two SKUs?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The xbox one version is just playable on XSX as in BC, its not both versions of the game. Only the box that has the Series X label on the top right corner is the nextgen version.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah, plenty of people are going to end up taking the wrong copy home as a gift for others. Whether intentional or not, this is textbook obfuscation.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Glad i dont buy cod. They should have just went with smart delivery but Activision wants every penny