• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is why Smart Delivery is a smart thing and it's baffling that Activision thought that this was a better method.

Literally couldn't be simpler for Smart Delivery games. One case, one SKU, no having to decide which one if the right one, works on both.
Theyd probably agree that this is a generally worse and more confusing method. Activision is just shameless when making money is involved.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft shouldn't have allowed this to even be an issue. But Activision and 2k are making it an issue since they aren't onboard with smart delivery.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
This is why Smart Delivery is a smart thing and it's baffling that Activision thought that this was a better method.

Literally couldn't be simpler for Smart Delivery games. One case, one SKU, no having to decide which one if the right one, works on both.
But then how would Bobby get his extra tenner?

Baffling that there isn't a way you can get the XSS/X version buy paying an extra $10 after you've bought the game though, like some PS3 -> PS4 games did. If you bought the XB1 version either digitally or physically, it seems like you're just fucked unless you want to shell out full price

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I see. So if it's not smart delivery, it's just a clusterfuck.

Still would have been nice to get a new colour design box though.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of nightmare I would've probably dealt with if I was a kid asking for something like this for Xmas.

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
916a2f36-3ed1-45ed-b7f4-dc1906d3d9f0_screenshot.jpg
I also forgot to mention the lack of the word Series S lol

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Xbox cases for next-gen in general are pretty bad.
  • Every game case mentions Xbox Series X specifically, no mention of S.
    -think about why the all digital system wouldn't be printed on a game case
  • Various Xbox One games list Xbox Series X in the header, suggesting they have Xbox Series enhancements when they don't.
    -that's so dumb. I get that they mention it on the back etc, but that's just not enough.
  • Some Xbox One-only games list Xbox Series X in the header, *plus* have a little note at the bottom of the box that says "Xbox One Game Playable on Xbox Series X, while others don't list Xbox Series X and have that note.
    -so much for no reason
  • Some games have that Xbox Series sticker in the upper-right, some don't.
    -I've only seen that on games where, as far as we know, have the series x enhancement printed on the disc

I agree with some of what you say, but not everything lol. I don't necessarily think it's confusing, but more so excessive. I also don't think this is a "think about the grandma" situation, and more likely a why is activision so backwards with this and why is Msoft okay with it.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Entirely Activision's fault. No reason other than greed to not just support smart delivery.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
So who are we raging at here?

For me it's Activision. This seems to be all based on the need for that extra $10. Really don't understand why it's split up like this other than someone thinking it would help without actually thinking about it. Why is it that if you buy the Xbox One version of the game by mistake it can't just be updated to include the enhancements for the Series X is beyond me.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how Microsoft allows a game to list Xbox Series X on the cover only because it'll play through backwards compatibility. Microsoft absolutely should not allow that. It's too damn confusing. I'd like to consider myself relatively on top of things, but even I already got burned by a game that listed Xbox Series X on it assuming it had a next gen version in it, only to find out game covers can throw it on there regardless.

So who are we raging at here?

For me it's Activision. This seems to be all based on the need for that extra $10. Really don't understand why it's split up like this other than someone thinking it would help without actually thinking about it. Why is it that if you buy the Xbox One version of the game by mistake it can't just be updated to include the enhancements for the Series X is beyond me.

Microsoft. They allowed Xbox Series X to be listed on a game that only is backwards compatible.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
confusedgrandma.jpeg

It is quite ridiculous indeed, can't wait for the cross-gen period to end.
Although to be fair it could have been a bit less confusing, if Activision bothered.

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I think in many people's minds, the defining characteristic of the S is the power difference so I can see why you made that mistake. It didn't register with me at all when I read your post
If I buy the digital Series S version will it be downloadable on an xbox one as well? Or if i buy the digital xbox series x version can my cousin download it on his series S under my account?

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Im not sure how the physical XSX disc would work on XB1, unless they are just hanging OG XB1 owners out to dry. They would need to include a code for the XB1 version in the XSX box

What a mess
Series X Disc comes with a version for One. Its not crazy to assume Series X discs can be read by Ones. Its confirmed to go the other way.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of when Sony switched their PS3 games to have Blue banners which confused me. I remember going to Target at the time and seeing PS3 games thinking they were PS4 games at a glance. It was at least a bit more obvious in that case given the numbers were different and PS3 games had the transparent top. This Xbox thing is even more confusing lol
1392307986-media.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how Microsoft allows a game to list Xbox Series X on the cover only because it'll play through backwards compatibility. Microsoft absolutely should not allow that. It's too damn confusing. I'd like to consider myself relatively on top of things, but even I already got burned by a game that listed Xbox Series X on it assuming it had a next gen version in it, only to find out game covers can throw it on there regardless.

Microsoft. They allowed Xbox Series X to be listed on a game that only is backwards compatible.
They started to do this with 360 games that are backwards compatible with X1. Like it was honestly a good move to slap a message on the box of Red Dead Redemption saying you can still play this on current gen. Why the new Call of Duty has a $60 version and a $70 version is all on Activision. Which ever one grandma buys isn't going to have compatibility problems in the end. Still shitty though.

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
This reminds me of when Sony switched their PS3 games to have Blue banners which confused me. I remember going to Target at the time and seeing PS3 games thinking they were PS4 games at a glance. It was at least a bit more obvious in that case given the numbers were different and PS3 games had the transparent top. This Xbox thing is even more confusing lol
1392307986-media.jpg
Haha good times.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1392307986-media.jpg

It is so confusing that they went back to the original design

sony_3000236_mlb_15_the_show_1113409.jpg

calibos

Dec 13, 2017

Sure, that is annoying, but Activision doesn't need 2 versions of this game if they just used Smart Delivery. Also, is it MS who decides how to label a game or the publisher?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Series X Disc comes with a version for One. Its not crazy to assume Series X discs can be read by Ones. Its confirmed to go the other way.

Then it comes with a separate standard XB1 blu ray, because the OG XB1 can't play UHD Blu Rays. That would be really dumb for Activision to do, seeing as people would have basically two copies of the same game, one which they could easily sell or give to a friend

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, that is annoying, but Activision doesn't need 2 versions of this game if they just used Smart Delivery. Also, is it MS who decides how to label a game or the publisher?

Microsoft sets certain guidelines for the packaging and Microsoft absolutely can enforce when what is labeled on the package. I'm not saying Activision is blame free here; I'm saying Microsoft has control over preventing the confusion from happening since it's their platform and their guidelines and it's not the only case of "Xbox Series X" being labeled on a box and misleading. So while Activision is to blame, there are clearly other instances out there beyond Activision.

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
As someone who has worked in retail I already feel bad about people working during the pandemic let alone dealing with this shit

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's simple for us to choose the right version (probably) but it's gonna be crappy for someone who accidentally chooses the wrong one. The boxes are downright confusing. Don't know why Activision went with this route.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
How is it Activision's fault when Microsoft allows it and there are other games out there tagged with Xbox Series X on it that actually don't have an Xbox Series X version of the game?

But then people would think it's not compatible with the series X when it is. They've been marking BC titles as compatible for a while. I have a copy of Red Dead Redemption that's in an XB1 case and says Xbox One on it.

COD is one of the few exceptions to smart delivery. Almost everyone else has jumped onboard.

Oct 26, 2017
If I buy the digital Series S version will it be downloadable on an xbox one as well?
Knowing Activision, I doubt it. It seems they have a hard division between current gen and next gen versions where other publishers are selling one version that will be upgraded on the next gen consoles.
Or if i buy the digital xbox series x version can my cousin download it on his series S under my account?
I've been out of the Xbox ecosystem for a while but so I'm not sure how account sharing works, but in terms of the game, unless I've missed something about what MS are doing this gen, there is no Series S or X "version", they're the same game that will have graphical and resolution improvements on the series X.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This shit confused even me earlier when I had a buddy asking which version to get and I'm pretty in tune with how this stuff works.

I think the reason its so confusing though is because there is a version that supports smart delivery and there is a version that isn't and compared to how almost every other game is sold and marketed this is different and its very confusing because the box arts are virtually the same.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
But then people would think it's not compatible with the series X when it is. They've been marking BC titles as compatible for a while. I have a copy of Red Dead Redemption that's in an XB1 case and says Xbox One on it.

COD is one of the few exceptions to smart delivery. Almost everyone else has jumped onboard.

There are hundreds of games currently out there still sold in stores that won't have the label that are backwards compatible. All you're doing is creating an inconsistent display of backwards compatibility. Sony doesn't list PS4 on their PS5 boxes either so I don't think it's necessary, and it will only cause confusion.