• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
2 different versions..one for Xbox One, and one for the new Xbox Series X, which also includes the Xbox One version. But the Xbox One version advertises the Xbox Series X because it's playable on it..but the series x physical version isn't playable on the xbox one obviously...

the-retail-boxes-for-the-new-call-of-duty-are-seriously-confusing.original.jpg

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Based on the art it seems like the Xbox Series X version does support Xbox One...

Edit: yeah, just read the article. The Xbox One version is playable on both via backwards compatibility, while the Xbox Series X version has the Xbox One version included on the disc meaning its also playable on both versions.

Obviously, the Series X version is the better deal but to claim one isn't playable on a console when it is...

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the wrong system won't be the only sense of confusion for Christmas buyers this holiday season.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
but the series x physical version isn't playable on the xbox one obviously...
That's almost certainly not true

I think the issue is that CW doesn't allow the paid $10 upgrade for next gen on Xbox for some reason, but it does on Playstation. So if you have, or plan to get a Series X and want COD physical, make sure to get the $69 version.

I think Hitman 3 has the exact same issue, but with the platforms reversed. If you want PS5 Hitman 3, you need to make sur eyou get the PS5 version, whereas Xbox will have smart delivery.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Aug 30, 2020
Almost a complete nightmare.

Like this is as if Nintendo Wii U came first and Wii was the successor, and then put both Wii and Wii U on every box.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is what Stupid Delivery looks like.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox cases for next-gen in general are pretty bad.
  • Various Xbox One games list Xbox Series X in the header, suggesting they have Xbox Series enhancements when they don't.
  • Some Xbox One-only games list Xbox Series X in the header, *plus* have a little note at the bottom of the box that says "Xbox One Game Playable on Xbox Series X, while others don't list Xbox Series X and have that note.
  • Some games have that Xbox Series sticker in the upper-right, some don't.
Edit: Removed dumb note about Xbox Series S not being mentioned.

Some examples:

Here is a proper box for an Xbox One game coming out in December:

QYrRCkjm.jpg

Another properish box, but no banner this time:

BUjxFzim.jpg

And here is a box for an Xbox One game (that doesn't have an Xbox Series version) coming out in April:

N5Ap7etm.jpg

Another one for a game that's already out, though this one includes a note that mentions it's not actually an Xbox Series game:

22TYXZPm.jpg

Here is a box for a launch Xbox Series game:

OW0gXuFm.jpg

And here is a box for an Xbox Series game coming out in December:

VkquYRom.jpg

Last edited:

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
They explain it in the image here (from the article)

1j0Mnsq.png

Xbox One version:
- Playable on Xbox One
- Playable on XSX (via backwards compatibility) but without the XSX-specific enhancements

XSX Version:
- Playable on Xbox One (as the disk includes the files for this version)
- Playable on XSX with the enhancements

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
At least they put the series x logo in the corner
at one point the mock covers were even more confusing without that extra Series X logo, it really is pretty bad though

But also this and NBA2K are probably the only games with 2 different versions since Xbox one is $60 and series x|s is $70

I think like all other games just have one version for both consoles because of smart delivery

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This issue will go away once cross gen games stop releasing. They should have branded the box differently though, made them black or something

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019

I think the issue is that CW doesn't allow the paid $10 upgrade for next gen on Xbox for some reason, but it does on Playstation. So if you have, or plan to get a Series X and want COD physical, make sure to get the $69 version.

I think Hitman 3 has the exact same issue, but with the platforms reversed. If you want PS5 Hitman 3, you need to make sur eyou get the PS5 version, whereas Xbox will have smart delivery.
At the very minimum Microsoft should have a different color case for series x games then lol

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Timmy's fucked, his Aunts and Uncles are fucked and his granny would be fucked too if she hadn't recently died from C-19 due to piss-poor management by governments.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck? It's a free upgrade at least, right?

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Series X version comes with a Xbox One version. Xbox One version will play through back compat on Series X

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
At the very minimum Microsoft should have a different color case for series x games then lol
Oh yeah, I definitely agree this isn't a very good solution. I'm as dialed in to this industry as anyone, and even I have had to triple check a few of these situations. Luckily it will only last a year or two, while people are migrating generations.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Im not sure how the physical XSX disc would work on XB1, unless they are just hanging OG XB1 owners out to dry. They would need to include a code for the XB1 version in the XSX box

What a mess

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Oh yeah, I definitely agree this isn't a very good solution. I'm as dialed in to this industry as anyone, and even I have had to triple check a few of these situations. Luckily it will only last a year or two, while people are migrating generations.
In a few years when there's a series X revision I wonder if games will support the Series S still.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Why make the same exact box template design for both gens??? Can't they use a different shade of green??? Poor grandma

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is... some people will buy the xbox one version and play it through BC and not even notice until they go to a friends house, and with COVID that might not be anytime soon. At least we know its for xbox, I think they mention xbox on there somewhere.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Presumably you wouldn't put the name of an all-digital console on a physical box? The Series S literally can't use the product, it'd be daft to put 'Series S' on the box.
this is an eye opening epiphany for me, ahah. it's so obvious now.

but yeah they should've coloured the boxes something different.

I thought the whole point of smart delivery was one sku to rule them all
it is, but Activision aren't using it.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Less confusion if the upgrade was free like damn near every other title. Fucking Activision.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is why Smart Delivery is a smart thing and it's baffling that Activision thought that this was a better method.

Literally couldn't be simpler for Smart Delivery games. One case, one SKU, no having to decide which one if the right one, works on both.