• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How bad it is it on PS5? I'm hovering over the purchase button because I want a fairly simple shooter to play on my next gen system.

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Telling OP the bugs he's experiencing are just his system is flat out ignorant.
This game is a buggy fucking mess on consoles too.
Every time it updates the settings all reset.
It tells you you've unlocked attachments that don't exist.
They added choppers with miniguns to the game and then promptly removed them the next day because there was an exploit allowing people to go invisible on the map.
Twitch cancelled its twitch rivals tourney last week because the game was consistently crashing mid match every single streamer I watched.
I could go on and on because I encounter a different bug pretty much every match I play but it's gotten so common that I've just stopped remembering them.

But yeah lets just say it's OPs system.....

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Mmmm, playing since launch, never seen a single problem. But that's the same with Modern Warfare and Warzone, people complained all year about bugs and technical issues and I only got one problem with an instal pack. I'm probably lucky.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
How bad it is it on PS5? I'm hovering over the purchase button because I want a fairly simple shooter to play on my next gen system.

I say go for it. The campaign, story aside, is enjoyable and the ray traced shadows and trigger effects really elevate the immersion.

MP is fast paced and you can play with bots if real people aren't your thing. Its definitely more "arcade/twitch" compared to MW, which was a pro for me. I've been pleasantly surprised with it.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I don't agree, COD isn't even close to how bad a shit show BF4 was. On the whole its been pretty stable for me on PC, other than that period last week where multi was broken for a day i've had no issues.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
I dunno guys but a game that bricks consoles is worse than a game that runs poorly and crashes.

doodledude

Oct 29, 2017
I can't play the multiplayer on PS5 since the season 1 update. I get constant lag and hitching.
It was fine since launch until the season 1 update, so I know it can't just be my PS5 or internet causing it

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Had one console freeze on PS5 but this one actually exited the game after a few minutes unlike Miles Morales which I had to pull the plug.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Wair, CoD can brick your console? I should probably stop playing the free week, right? I did notice the game running pretty badly and had one time where it just fully crashed

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
maxresdefault.jpg

For you OP.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Stable here. And I clicked play and some dude was screaming at me. You should have to put "this is a shitty Angry Joe" video as a warning so we know not to click.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

It's... fine? The campaign is pretty fun and a tiny bit trippy. Zombies is great. Multiplayer is kinda bad, but that's mostly on the crap maps and the guns being just annoyingly less fun than MW. The lack of maps is a problem, especially because CW managed to launch with two of the worst maps around. Seriously, Miami is the most gorgeous and yet worst map in any CoD that I can recall. I found the mini-BR of Fireteam: Dirty Bomb to be horribly awful but some ppl dig it. I'm sure it's been patched a lot, but it was just a horribly designed gamemode when I tried it.

The game looks great and performs very well.

As far as bugs go, I've played since launch (going back and forth to Warzone) and it was buggier than MW was at launch, but not outrageously so on PS5 unless you played a bunch the day the season 1 started.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I've had more crashes on cold war than cyberpunk, both on Series X. So to all those who are saying that this game is not broken as fuck and even more so than cyberpunk, stop being shills.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
So many people sabotage their own fucking threads because they lack the ability to just have normal ass conversations

Hehe this is one of the truest things I've seen here in a long time.

*I have some issue or opinion that might be interesting to others, better frame it in such a way that literally no one can ignore my least sensible metaphor!*

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
It's quite good on PS5, actually
I've been playing since D1 and it has been a pretty smooth experience, excluding a couple of crashes during campaign

If you want a simple shooter to play with tons of content and variety, this is a good choice (campaign, zombie, multiplayer, Warzone, there's basically everything for everyone)

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Telling OP the bugs he's experiencing are just his system is flat out ignorant.
This game is a buggy fucking mess on consoles too.
Every time it updates the settings all reset.
It tells you you've unlocked attachments that don't exist.
They added choppers with miniguns to the game and then promptly removed them the next day because there was an exploit allowing people to go invisible on the map.
Twitch cancelled its twitch rivals tourney last week because the game was consistently crashing mid match every single streamer I watched.
I could go on and on because I encounter a different bug pretty much every match I play but it's gotten so common that I've just stopped remembering them.

But yeah lets just say it's OPs system.....

This.

Everyone on this fucking forum being like, "Oh it runs fine for me" are just being obnoxious. This game isn't on par with something like Cyberpunk by any means, but it's still a fucking mess.

The game was bricking consoles for WEEKS after release. It still crashes, the menu is a fucking mess, most people have to play with Ray Tracing turned off or the game stutters and loses frames.

I'm glad the game miraculously works for you, but F off with the hand waving bullshit.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've had it since launch on PS5, and other than a couple of annoying crashes in the campaign early on that we're seemingly rectified, I've had little to no issues and have put in around 40 hours. (Ray tracing on the whole time).

I'm sure people are having problems with it, just like everyone seems to be having their own issues with their next gen consoles that are hard to pin down. But comparing it to the likes of stuff like Avengers and most certainly Cyberpunk is laughable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This.

Everyone on this fucking forum being like, "Oh it runs fine for me" are just being obnoxious. This game isn't on par with something like Cyberpunk by any means, but it's still a fucking mess.

The game was bricking consoles for WEEKS after release. It still crashes, the menu is a fucking mess, most people have to play with Ray Tracing turned off or the game stutters and loses frames.

I'm glad the game miraculously works for you, but F off with the hand waving bullshit.

How are people talking about their experience with the game being obnoxious? Because their experience doesn't align with the OP? I've played it on PS5 and PC, have had 1 soft crash on my PS5 and some hitching fixed after the first patch, that's about it. To even compare what's going on with this game to Cyberpunk is a joke.

Sucks that some are having issues, but I fail to see how someone saying they aren't having issues is handwaving.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I've been playing since launch and I may have experienced just one crash (PS5). I did notice that the patch before the season 1 patch introduced some slowdown in certain maps that I hadn't noticed previously. There are also a smattering of small bugs that I've encountered, but nothing that has prevented my from playing. I think the night before season one dropped I couldn't get into any matches but it seems you've explained that. Otherwise the ship is on course for me.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't think it is as bad as Cyberpunk, but it still is a little frustrating. It runs fine for me with ray-traced shadows off, but with shadows on it was actively locking up my console and forcing it to turn off. That seems to be fixed now, but with ray traced shadows on I am getting like 40fps and it feels unplayable. With shadows off though it seems to run fine.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
In my group we experience a range of issues. It's by far the game that crashes the most on my PS5 and the other day it froze hard and loud (awful noise coming out of my speaker).

I play with a couple of Xbox users who have it randomly load into matches with UI issues and a blurry ass screen, apparently, too. Another guy on PS5 had an issue where it wouldn't let him launch it for some reason even after uninstalling and reinstalling. In the end, he had to factory reset his PS5.

I'm so happy some of y'all have no issues with it. That doesn't mean nobody else is, however.

Comparing it to Cyberpunk insta derailed the thread though.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's more broken than other CoDs at launch for sure.
Upside is that's it's a GaaS game so they'll keep patching it for quite a bit.

Phantom_Snake

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I played through the campaign fine on PS5. I never touch the multiplayer on COD so maybe I would've experienced something on that end. Hope for all of those that have had issues that the fixes come quickly.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have any problems with the game, neither technical nor content-wise (now that Season 1 is here with a few additional maps). The campaign is good, Zombies is nice and I love the regular MP. If you're interested I'd just go for it.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
On the PS5 the multiplayer is SUPER buggy when playing on split screen. Literally unplayable and ALWAYS crashes with an error code.

Even if I avoid hitting the middle button to check the score, after 1 game it starts getting lower frame rates and it crashes.

Edit: To clarify....this has been the case since launch (day1). Even uninstalling the game and reinstalling doesn't fix this issue. Even playing the PS4 version causes this crash to happen.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
You on Cyberpunk

🙄

I might've exaggerated considering technical issues on other consoles... But yeah, on series X looks amazing though. And my point still stands. There's a ridiculous amount of people attacking one game while defending others and in this situation I have had much more problems on cold war than cyberpunk. Campaign bugs regarding ray tracing, multiplayer matches crashing the game, zombie mode glitching through the floor...

The game is beautiful but it has its fair share of problems and none is saying anything 🤷🏻‍♂️

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Only problem I ever came across with it on PS5 were some flickering shadows in a few spots. Other than that its run like a dream and I have like 100 hours into it already.

Cyberpumk on the other hand. Yeesh

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
The only problem I had was the other day when they put out that patch that made the game stutter, but it was fixed pretty soon after. Other than that I haven't had a single issue with Cold War on PS5 through any of the modes.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Activision iterates on this franchise every year, so I think it's fair that people demand more polish. That's the trade-off for less ambition. Maybe that's why Cold War's buggy launch feels so insulting to its community.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've had more crashes in this game then any other on next gen and on top of that I tried playing split screen with my sister and it was completely broken on ps5, it would completely lock my ps5 in minutes

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
Cold War isn't buggy, but it is a drop off in quality compared to MW. Honestly, MW should have just gotten nextgen upgrades and called it a day. Tonight, I reinstalled CODMW and it was just a more polished game, whereas Cold War feels like it was pushed out to make release date (and as I understand it, the game kinda landed in TreyArch's lap at the last minute)

shungokusatsu

Dec 16, 2017
Started vacation and have sunk almost 2 days into the game and am nearing prestige 3. The Mac tizzle absolutely shreds and is great for rush ambushing, but I'm looking forward to the striker.

Question: are you all playing with cross play enabled or disabled? I've been trying it on and off and what's odd is no matter what it always takes 2 minutes to find a game, always with constant "expanding search". I suspect the is SBMM because one annoying problem I'm running into is always getting a lobby with the same people who are all sweaty.

I figured the game is too new and hot right now with free MP, but somehow we keep getting the same damn groups of players and I don't understand why.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
My settings reset a few times. And it seems to almost always create a new lobby every time, which is weird. Other than that my problems are those present in all the recent cod games.

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
lol maybe i'm in the lucky category but I play a few Multi matches througout the day and have a graphical glitch when i return back to lobby but for the most part i'm having a great time with cold war.

I'm playing on PC atm.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had crashes on PS5, and framerate drops/hitches on Series X.
Guess I'll have to drop back down to 1080p with raytracing off to try to get it back to a stable framerate on Series X.
The crazy thing is I don't remember having any of these issues before the patch that came out three weeks to a month ago.
Does Treyarch have a community manager we can ping to ask for a status update on fixes?
Kind of annoys me that Treyarch seems to be maintaining radio silence on these issues, while continuing to push out content updates and a free trial.
I understand COVID's effects, but I'd rather see fixes for current customers, instead of value-adds for potential ones.
Ah, well.
Hope the devs get to at least enjoy the holidays, and some time off.

OP
OP
Zombegoast

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Assets and player models not loading appearing invisible. There was a glitch in Warzone where players can become invisible and Treyarch had to patch out the helicopter that caused the exploit

Black out Trial Error preventing people from playing the game

After Action Report looping

And many more. Share if you want