• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I just played one match, and this feels bad. Movement feels absolutely clunky, and the animations are lackluster. The menus feel unrefined. It doesn't feel great to shoot a gun like it does in MW2019. Like some have said, it plays and feels like it was designed before MW2019. When you slide, it's like you hit a jet of water and go zooming across the map. The lackluster animations make kills and deaths feel weird. So, maybe it's hyperbole, but parts of it feel like something like Warface or some other F2p shooter. It's, like, a step or two above that in terms of feel. The fidelity of MW2019 is sorely missed.

I don't understand how people are saying this looks like a copy and paste of MW2019. MW was a huge step forward for the series in my book, and this feel completely different.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Had some fun with it but it's kind of hard to say because using mouse on PS4 is so bad, and it seems to regularly dip below 60FPS on the PS4 Pro (though I know performance may improve by launch). That, and while I find 60FPS to be fine for most games, it's hard for me to play first person games at 60 at this point (not that I wasn't expecting it!). Will have to try on PC, but I think I like it, but also it feels like nothing particularly new or exciting going on. The setting not even being as far back in time as Black Ops 1 means it doesn't feel too far off from a modern setting, which is disappointing. I may even just stick with MW especially if they continue to support it for at least another year.

I would be really interested in a WWI CoD! ... or a Western CoD.

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
Had some fun with it but it's kind of hard to say because using mouse on PS4 is so bad, and it seems to regularly dip below 60FPS on the PS4 Pro (though I know performance may improve by launch). That, and while I find 60FPS to be fine for most games, it's hard for me to play first person games at 60 at this point (not that I wasn't expecting it!). Will have to try on PC, but I think I like it, but also it feels like nothing particularly new or exciting going on. The setting not even being as far back in time as Black Ops 1 means it doesn't feel too far off from a modern setting, which is disappointing. I may even just stick with MW especially if they continue to support it for at least another year.

I would be really interested in a WWI CoD! ... or a Western CoD.

I think framerate is definitely dipping, I seen it a few times on the Miami map on a base PS4. I enjoyed it for what it was, although I think Squadrons will remain my go to MP title this year. Will pick this up on sale in January or so for campaign and zombies.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Well, it's been a while since the last time I played this type of multiplayer games like call of duty. Battlefield, etc. I could confirm by myself that I'm still a killer machine. However, I'm not feeling these games any longer, not even with friends. What was a kind of addiction in the past has become a Meeh experience where I no longer feel motivated to keep playing for more than 1 hour.

The only game that can grab me back for a few days is Overwatch, but then I suddenly stop playing for a couple of months.

For this next gen, I think I'm going full singleplayer mode unless the next gen battlefield game turns out to be really revolutionary and a next gen showcase.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Since a bunch of people are loving this, I wonder if there's room to keep MW the way it is now and let this be the place for the people that hate MW. I've put more time into MW 2019 than I have any other COD since maybe MW2. I would be bummed if suddenly it's gone and back to this.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Since a bunch of people are loving this, I wonder if there's room to keep MW the way it is now and let this be the place for the people that hate MW. I've put more time into MW 2019 than I have any other COD since maybe MW2. I would be bummed if suddenly it's gone and back to this.

With any amount of luck the two year cycle will mean fans of both styles of COD will get a good two years with each game before the next. One of those years will be without any updates, but it's better than nothing. Infinity Ward and Treyarch have always had different styles when it comes to COD games, so I would imagine next year's IW game will be more to your liking.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
With any amount of luck the two year cycle will mean fans of both styles of COD will get a good two years with each game before the next. One of those years will be without any updates, but it's better than nothing. Infinity Ward and Treyarch have always had different styles when it comes to COD games, so I would imagine next year's IW game will be more to your liking.
I hope so. I had dropped the series after Advanced Warfare. It was great coming back to what felt like a new experience.

Jun 5, 2020
Really loving this new Call of Duty, it feels great.

I hated the fact that Modern Warfare removed the red dots for enemies on the minimap unless you had a UAV.

Current-gen Call of Duty multiplayer ranking (best to worst):

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: WWII
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Based off my limited playtime, I have a feeling Black Ops Cold War will be #2.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions after a few hours:

Pros

TTK is perfect. Gun on gun moments are the best it's been, maybe even better than BLOPS4. Time will tell. As it stands, CW and 4 have the greatest feeling health pools that encourages rushing and counter attacking, which I like.

Ghost is only active if you move, campers can kick rocks.

Scorestreaks are back.

Cons

Still don't know how I feel about cool down streaks. Didn't see an issue at all with how they used to be.

Maps are not good. While I still prefer it to MWs verticality, the openness and multiple angles here reminds me too much of it. It could possibly ruin the game for me no matter how good the mechanics feel.

Color/dark issues. Miami is too fucking dark. Some player models are too hard to see. Didn't think I'd say that about 3arc.

Quick scoping. But I'm confident it'll get patched

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
After 5 hours:

Pro:

-Classic Style COD
-Maps
-Vote next maps
-Gameplay style
-scorestreaks
-ttk

Con:

-weapon sounds!!!
-LAG
-physics
-recoil

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie I like the dumb life bars they just let me see the enemy better. I can see the enemy in this game.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Loving this more than MW 2019. My only issue is the maps are almost too open which makes snipers annoying.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Hasn't grab me the way MW beta did.
The maps are fine. Mami visually is stunning.
Playing on an OG PS4, and are getting more drop frames in a single match, than I've seen during all my playtime with MW.
I like its overall aesthetic.
Will continue playing.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really loving this new Call of Duty, it feels great.

I hated the fact that Modern Warfare removed the red dots for enemies on the minimap unless you had a UAV.

Current-gen Call of Duty multiplayer ranking (best to worst):

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: WWII
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Based off my limited playtime, I have a feeling Black Ops Cold War will be #2.

If these maps are anything to go by, my ranking is the same. I also miss operators but I like hero based shooters. Hopefully I see more traditional 3 lane maps but right now it's 4 > CW >>>>>>>>>>> MW.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a full generation behind in every way. All they had to do was sand off some of the more annoying edges, stop with the garbage maps, and up the ttk some.

Instead, they threw out everything and wound up with this kind of jank old feeling game. I wouldn't pay anything for this.

It's hard to articulate for me why I don't like it. It just *feels* bad.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Am I going crazy here? I know they're using the same engine as MW2019 (which I'm gutted about because I loved the look and feel of Treyarch games and HATED everything about MW) - but it's nearly identical. Same icons, same hitmarker sounds, same HUD, same weird annoying intake of breath during health recovery. No one seems to be saying how it's pretty much the same game?!

I guess this is the end of COD for me. If both studios are now using the same engine, character movements etc, which I dislike, there's no hope for me :(
This game is using Treyarch's iteration of the CoD engine. The studios have always shared some tech, but they take their own "forks" of the engine in different directions. Whereas MW 2019 was building off of Infinite Warfare's tech, this game is building off of Blops 4's.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts:

- Guns have no weight to them and sound cheap
- Maps are wide open with few power points
- Infinite sprint doubles down on latency issues
- Frame-rate drops and it takes ages for textures to load-in on base PS4
- Sometimes it's hard to spot the enemy, mostly on Miami
- Life bars are pretty good

To be honest, I hated it. Unsold me on the game and I'll just watch the campaign on YouTube. I skipped MW2019 due to BO4 turning me off hard but current-gen CoD continues the trend of not reaching the peaks the franchise hit with CoD4, MW2, BO1 and BO2.

Jun 5, 2020
Also, I need to start begging Treyarch to add Control (game mode from Black Ops 4) into Cold War. Best Call of Duty mode ever.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
IQ on Pro is really bad. Feels like 720p tbh
Loving this more than MW 2019. My only issue is the maps are almost too open which makes snipers annoying.
This. The snipers in this game are emboldened by quick scoping too which makes it even worse. They need to drop the speed of ADS for snipers down drastically or revamp the maps so they aren't so sniper friendly. It's a disaster

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Map design pretty good on the first couple of plays but man, the gunplay is not working for me vs MW. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Miami is waaaaaaaay too big. I spent 90% of my match looking for other players and then the match ended without any team getting close to cap.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Played about 10 matches, some gameplay changes are spot on but technically a downgrade from MW 2019 every possible way. (Which is what I was expecting since Infinity Ward's animation team is on another level.)

+ Perfect TTK, this should be a norm for CoD games from now on.
+ Perk selection is simple yet effective, Ghost wanting you to be on move and Ninja as a perk but not totally silent is a good adjustment.
+ Beautiful color palette, solid 10/8-7.5 maps.
+ Not a "balance freak" like previous 3arc games, wildcard system on top of MW's create a class? OP as hell yet very fun.
+ Great scorestreak system. It needs a bit of cooldown and score adjustments but getting multipliers for killstreaks and pushing objective play knowing that you're not going to lose your streak is a brilliant idea.
+ Finally more than 2 multiplayer factions.
+ Quickscopers (cough) paradise but it shouldn't be this good, on PC it will be disgusting.

- Huge downgrade from MW 2019's gunplay (aside from TTK).
- Huge downgrade from MW 2019's gun sounds.
- Huge downgrade from MW 2019's animations. (what the fuck is that running animation? teammates running while leaned 30 degrees)
- Huge downgrade from MW 2019's graphics in terms of technical stuff like material quality, lighting complexity, polycount, etc.
- It will be painful to switch between this and Warzone (using MW 2019 Engine)

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I havent played it but from the videos and streams it looks very clunky. Animations dont feel right and lack the feel of momentum. MW was very good in that regard. Also the sound is very steril and everything sounds bass boosted.
I know this was said a thousand times but this really looks, sounds and apparently feels like its a whole step backwards from MW2019. (TTK and all the gameplay aspects aside)

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
So Lawbreaker gives you all yellow perks AND two primary weapons. Why would I ever choose anything else?

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
the menu is awful
giving me a splitting headache trying to create a class
why is there some random background image?

Jun 5, 2020
I will say this. I hate the way streaks now work. The fact that they don't reset when you die is stupid.

I can earn a Chopper Gunner every match which sucks for the opposing team.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people can play FPS games on the DS4. These thumb sticks feel so damn weird to me. Lol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ew. Domination stops half way through now. I liked the change in MW2019.

Also overall gunplay is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay waay worse.

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
This game is using Treyarch's iteration of the CoD engine. The studios have always shared some tech, but they take their own "forks" of the engine in different directions. Whereas MW 2019 was building off of Infinite Warfare's tech, this game is building off of Blops 4's.
Really? But it looks and sounds exactly like MW and nothing like Treyarch's previous games. The way the character moves, the motion blur, the hit marker sounds - almost completely copied from MW. Very strange. I guess Blops4 will be my last COD :(

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
After some more matches, it feels a lot like Blops 4 to me. Gunplay in that game was fine, but MW 2019 was such a massive step forward in that department that going back to this a bit weird. TTK being higher is fine though, and I actually don't mind the health bars. The sound and animations aren't nearly as good as last years game either.

Maps are a step up, Miami is way too dark though, and I don't miss doors or cover mounting too much. Performance leaves a lot to be desired, granted I typically play CoD on my One X and I'm playing this beta on a base PS4, but there are noticeable frame drops and I don't think it looks as good as MW 2019. Still pretty iffy on it overall, I'll probably be playing throughout the weekend though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly only thing I think this game does better than MW2019 is having your operator be for both factions. Otherwise it's just... eh?
Like I'm going to still get it and play it more but not overly excited.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope the visibility is better on Series X. People aren't even wearing earth tone colors and you can barely see them POP on maps like Satellite. How can a bright ass desert map do that? Sheesh. The games fun. But the warts are so obvious especially after BLOPS4.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Played a few matches. My god this is bad. A massive step down from MW in terms of presentation, gunplay, animation and so much more.

Oct 31, 2017
I normal play cod on my one x but this feels atrocious. Like the most clunky cod I've ever played. I'm kind of worried tbh. I hope zombie maps are killer.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I normal play cod on my one x but this feels atrocious. Like the most clunky cod I've ever played. I'm kind of worried tbh. I hope zombie maps are killer.

I'm reserving full judgement until I can play it on series X. Imo, this controller is dog shit for shooters, and the base PS4 looks fucking rough. Now if the colors and visibility issues persist into next gen, I'll really start going in on the criticisms.