• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I can't give any gameplay impression since the alpha is missing the same control options as modern warfare options. No dead zone or response curve type.

Otherwise it looks and sound worse than MW2019 lol

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving this.
It plays exactly how I hoped it would.

Which is like BLOPS4, and nothing like MW2019.

I am very happy right now.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't love the lack of clearly defined boundary on Satellite. Just feels like death can come from anywhere without warning.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
No deadzone or response curve settings is a terrible move. Not everyone is comfortable with the classic sensitivity, thought this was standard across modern FPS games?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Like this game a lot. But it's definitely a step down from MW2019 which felt amazing. Gunplay is weaker, but overall pacing and action and map design is far better

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely feels like Black Ops - much snappier compared to MW.

Depressed to see that quickscoping is making a glorious return though -_-

Apr 3, 2020
wow...this plays awful.

Gunplay, feedback and movement are bad, guns have zero recoil, I can't distinguish the difference between the guns they all feel and play the same.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I really like this. TTK is nice, maps are solid and standard features like scorestreaks, map voting and ghost perk that only works when you move are back. Good stuff.
Even simple stuff like it doesn't break lobbies when match ends it's really good.
I'm having more fun with this alpha than MW2019 MP, but then again I didn't like MW2019 at all.

It does have some technical problems, on base ps4 model combined arms mode have some framerate problems, it feels like fps is 40-50 in that mode.

Overall this is 8/10 experience for me. I just hope prestige mode comes back, it's the final touch that this game needs.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
constantly spawning with people behind me and having half my bullets not register. what a piece of shit.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Just played a couple of hours and...YES, YESSSSSSSS!!!! This is what I wanted for COD this year, and I'm super happy. Not a fan of the desert map, but I do enjoy both Miami and Moscow a lot. Snipers right now seem pretty nuts, as does the 74U. Hopefully Treyarch make adjustments (I'm sure they will).

It's amazing to be able to MOVE again. Just moving like a mad man and dropping quad feed napalm strikes is the most fun I've had in a while. I was pretty sure this was gonna be a preorder, but now I know it is. Looking forward to playing it on my console of choice (Xbox), but I'm super glad I can putz around with this alpha even if I'm not super fond of the DS4 for FPS games.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
One more hour until I can try it out. Sounds about what I expected tbh but I'm always down for new CoD.

wow...this plays awful.

Gunplay, feedback and movement are bad, guns have zero recoil, I can't distinguish the difference between the guns they all feel and play the same.

This was my biggest fear since it was the biggest improvement the series got in decades. They've always had kind of crappy gun sounds, like a wet paper bag, and lack of "personality" to the recoil but MW changed that. It was the closest to Battlefield level they ever got. Now it looks like Treyarch is going backwards (which they always do on a techincal level) but it's super disappointing to see after getting such a treat with MW2019. And it will be highlighted even more with Warzone side-by-side. Am I going to use a floppy nerf gun AK with an ugly model in multiplayer then switch to Warzone and get this beautiful thunder that shoots like taming a wild stallion with great animations?

If they need help they should just ask the other studios instead of sliding us backwards every time. Or just go to the range with a microphone or something. Not sure what their process is but it doesn't produce anything that sounds like an actual weapon.

Just played a couple of hours and...YES, YESSSSSSSS!!!! This is what I wanted for COD this year, and I'm super happy. Not a fan of the desert map, but I do enjoy both Miami and Moscow a lot. Snipers right now seem pretty nuts, as does the 74U. Hopefully Treyarch make adjustments (I'm sure they will).

It's amazing to be able to MOVE again. Just moving like a mad man and dropping quad feed napalm strikes is the most fun I've had in a while. I was pretty sure this was gonna be a preorder, but now I know it is. Looking forward to playing it on my console of choice (Xbox), but I'm super glad I can putz around with this alpha even if I'm not super fond of the DS4 for FPS games.

Man if I could use my Xbox Elite Controller on my PS console I would cry. I use that thing on PC all the time. The DS4 is a huge step up from the DS3 but still not quite there yet.

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
Am I going crazy here? I know they're using the same engine as MW2019 (which I'm gutted about because I loved the look and feel of Treyarch games and HATED everything about MW) - but it's nearly identical. Same icons, same hitmarker sounds, same HUD, same weird annoying intake of breath during health recovery. No one seems to be saying how it's pretty much the same game?!

I guess this is the end of COD for me. If both studios are now using the same engine, character movements etc, which I dislike, there's no hope for me :(

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Is this only for set times like some alpha/betas or am I good to go when I boot up my system for the next 3 days?

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Texture load in is pretty bad on the PS4 Pro. I enjoy hearing the footsteps and actually getting a feel for where someone is. The game feels less polished then MW.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why people keep saying there's no sniper glint. There's definitely sniper glint. You should know cause everybody fucking snipes.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I like this yet, the maps feel kinda empty. It's kinda slow compared to MW2019, the XM4 shreds and the M16 is pretty damn good if you can get headshots.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These maps are also...pretty awful. If that's a sign of things to come then it's not promising. So fucking open. It reminds me of MW map design getting hit from so many different angles.

smashkirby

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why people keep saying there's no sniper glint. There's definitely sniper glint. You should know cause everybody fucking snipes.
I've seen it ONCE and only because the guy was across the map. I think it's either bugged or distance activated on top of having to look down the barrel for more than a second.
It also might be related to these texture streaming problems, the videos that play as the map load look better than when on the actual map!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm having more fun than I thought with this, though I think it's a step down from Modern Warfare. BOCW is a standard CoD by the numbers, so if that's your thing, then it's all right. I like it.

I gotta say that it looks really good on the base PS4. Art direction is pretty cool. Performance though...

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
Just doesn't feel like a Treyarch game. Same horrible motion blur that was used in MW. Copy and paste job.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018

74U has already been nerfed in the beta by Treyarch. The alpha is two updates behind apparently so weapon tuning should be better. Thank God lol

iLorah

Oct 31, 2017
These maps are also...pretty awful. If that's a sign of things to come then it's not promising. So fucking open. It reminds me of MW map design getting hit from so many different angles.
THIS. The maps to me are too big and I'm not sure where to even look. Too many windows/doors etc. Hoping for a few smaller ones hopefully

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It's obvious that this is a Treyarch game. It's Black Ops III and IIII in Modern Warfare clothing... kinda. Combined Arms is pretty good though. That is a lot more Battlefield X Call of Duty than Ground War felt like in MW. It has the right amount of down time between conflict.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few matches and it's so much more Arcadey and THANK GOD. I wish movement was a bit faster and less clunky though. It's not perfect but I'm curious enough to preorder and try out the Beta.

CoD is not Battlefield. They should be separate games. I was sick of all the tactical movement, high recoil weapons, and slow gameplay from MW19. If they keep shifting in that direction I'll be finding other games to play.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
This is definitely a treyarch black ops experience. I absolutely hate hate hate it with a passion. Always disgusted by the netcode of treyarch games (lag comp).

Pretty nice they've done an alpha and probably a beta. Will not be buying it.

Happy for the people that love the black ops franchise tho, it's got that same feeling.

Also SBMM feels exactly the same as MW2019 which is a bummer.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those BTB modes in CoD were never for me. I'll stick to Halo and BF for stuff like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I played 3 hours non-stop. I liked it. Thoughts;

- Spawns are mostly good. I died back to back just one time. Sometimes it shifts very quick and you get killed behind.
- Hearing footseps is excellent and you should definitely play with headphones.
- Sound design is very different from MW. Gunshots are very low-key and you don't hear your breathing etc. It is calm and it makes you more concentrated i think.
- Second sniper in the game (i dont know its name) is totally garbage. And ADS speed in sniper rifles is very quick.
- It takes 5-7 xm4 rounds to kill. It is a little too much i think. There were many moments i ranted about it.

- Maps are mostly good. I just did not liked snowy combined arms map.

Yeah. Call of Duty keeps being a premium game.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Played about 3 hours even though I'm usually top 1 or 2 players in the map but I have been freaking steam rolled every single map. Is there any skill based matchmaking going on at all? Because I haven't even had a close match yet. bit frustrated to be honest. Game has crashed twice in the last 30 minutes (on a base launch day ps4) I like armada and satellite, am like warm on miami the other too maps feel like snipers have such an advantage and not so fun.

I'm not sure if the fact I'm tilted after losing so much is affecting my judgement but I'm not having much fun.

Quick scoping and ak74u feel super op and vehicles just have way to much health. playing with some friends tomorrow hoping something will click and I will start enjoying the game.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I really love MW and not looking for a new CoD so its probably coloured the fact its not clicking with me like MW and Warzone.

I'll keep trying tho

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Super happy they are doing an Alpha and are going to do a Beta. Extremely bummed that it confirmed my worst fears from watching the gameplay reveal.

The presentation is a ridiculous step down. It isn't just graphical fidelity, which also seems somewhat worse, but most importantly in the animations and sound design. The gunplay in MW19 feels so incredibly good, mostly in part of the animations that carry a lot of weight in combination with the beefy sound design. Cold War feels like your shooting with BB guns. It just isn't satisfying at all.

The gameplay itself is very arcadey, which was very nostalgic feeling for the first 5 minutes before it started to feel incredibly outdated. It has a bit of a floaty feeling to it and overall kind of plays like what I would imagine a good mobile version of CoD would play like. And because of this arcadey feel sliding and jump shotting feels very natural to the gunplay. I'm getting killed by slide shooting people a whole lot, and suddenly I found myself jumpshotting every other fight (which is something I never do in MW19). And I'm not a fan at all.

And lastly, the Gun Smith seems very limited and less varied this time around. I haven't spent a lot of timing going through the different attachments and obviously not everything is unlocked at this moment. I didn't immediately notice any changes when switching attachements, and with the current selection, it always feels like there is one obvious attachement to pick. But I'm curious to see what some of the analyitical YouTubers make of it.

I just pray none of the bad stuff will carry over the Warzone...