• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Played a round of TDM with a controller on PC and man I gotta say, that was way more fun than the M+KB games I've had today and yesterday. Way more relaxing and not nearly as sweaty, went 17-2 with relative ease. Playing with a controller obviously sucks compared to M+KB but it's not that bad, and if the rest of the games tonight are equally fun I might just get the game after all and just play with other controller users.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i miss the 70+ kills day in dom

even when I got all my streaks, I went 35 kills, and everyone in the lobby left

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, just saw someone get a Nuke in Ground War - he had 43 kills and zero deaths, which in all likelihood means he was just camping the entire time. Can't say I blame him, as the game actively encourages it.

That Ground War map really needs a rework. 80% of the players just turtle up around the two middle objectives in a chaotic circle-jerk of objective swapping, 10% try to get the other objectives, and the remaining 10% are snipers who spend the entire game picking off those 10%.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
First time I saw someone cheat that blatantly: a guy was running beneath the surface and shooting everyone from below, lol.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, just saw someone get a Nuke in Ground War - he had 43 kills and zero deaths, which in all likelihood means he was just camping the entire time. Can't say I blame him, as the game actively encourages it.

That Ground War map really needs a rework. 80% of the players just turtle up around the two middle objectives in a chaotic circle-jerk of objective swapping, 10% try to get the other objectives, and the remaining 10% are snipers who spend the entire game picking off those 10%.

There's currently an exploit to get beneath the ground. You can just pick people off without getting targeted, not saying he did that but many people are.

That said I've been a few away from a nuke while running and gunning. I think groundwar is chaotic enough that camping isn't necessarily the move.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
I used to play a lot of shooters a few years back. I played MW1 and 2 quite a lot. I used to have a K/D around 3-3.5 believe by run & gunning with SMG's. But.. I suck at this game... I don't think run & gun works well in this game. Or I became worse... Or a bit of both. Anyway, I might buy this game. First CoD since BLOPS1. Some matches I love the game, whilst I hate it in other matches.

Positive:
- Gunplay
- Gameplay
- Sound
- Killstreaks are fun, but not OP like MW2.
- Crossplay

Neutral:
- Maps: In the beginning, I thought they sucked. I am slowly starting to like them more. I am a bit worried about the amount of launch maps for "normal" modes. I also they add some more unique/colourful maps, like Terminal and Nuke Town. I don't only want grey, destroyed warzones.

Negative:
- There don't seem to be that many guns? I hope the list is not final.
- Campers
- Dynamic range (it's TERRIBLE!)
- Spawns
- Ground war is boring. CoD gameplay doesn't work well on this scale imo.

I think I'll buy the game. However, I'm slightly worried about the amount of "normal" maps (I want at least 10-12 "normal" maps). Also, they really have to fix the dynamic range thing first. It ruins a lot of the fun because of the camping.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Now got "old school" CoD round.

Everyone hop and drop shotting every encounter, hopping every corner, blind nading cross map in spawns etc.

Not sure if I missed this ADHD twitch gameplay, especially with this TTK.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Okay the Oden kind of slays. Running it with Stopping Power for the extra insult to injury and doing well.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Damn dude, played a few more controller games and this is so much more fun than the M+KB sweatfest that I think the game's jumped back into my to-buy list. The difference is fucking astounding. Managed to get a 17-kill streak just now and I don't think I've gotten one that high since I started playing these on PC. God bless crossplay.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017

I played it yesterday and it wasn't fun for me at all. Just chaos and no team work. It doesn't even come close to BF conquest mode.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
How do I avoid KB&M players like the plague? I know there's a symbol that shows if someone is using that setup, but why the fuck would I even want to be put into a lobby where I'm immediately at a disadvantage?

What am I missing? Is there some kind of server filter I missed?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I played it yesterday and it wasn't fun for me at all. Just chaos and no team work. It doesn't even come close to BF conquest mode.
They could change things up to promote more team-play but it is still CoD. Its all lone wolf and selfish killstreaks. They would have to reork the entire system just for one mode.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Did my first war crimes. I actually really like the lighting change when the White Phosphorous goes out. Wasn't terribly beneficial but it was neat.

Oct 25, 2017
PC question: I've got the game set up to my screen resolution, and internal resolution is 100%, yet the game still looks soft image wise. What settings am I missing here?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I will stick to certain modes - Gunfight, headquarters, SnD I think.

Realism is pretty good too

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now got "old school" CoD round.

Everyone hop and drop shotting every encounter, hopping every corner, blind nading cross map in spawns etc.

Not sure if I missed this ADHD twitch gameplay, especially with this TTK.
Those jetpacks did some serious damage to the series, I can't believe all the jumping around that I'm seeing. It's truly insane how hardwired an entire generation of players are to boosting around corners.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Damn dude, played a few more controller games and this is so much more fun than the M+KB sweatfest that I think the game's jumped back into my to-buy list. The difference is fucking astounding. Managed to get a 17-kill streak just now and I don't think I've gotten one that high since I started playing these on PC. God bless crossplay.

Game most likely is 100% designed around console and pad experience when it comes to gunplay etc. KBM then proceeds to break it all because you are so much faster and far more accurate in twitch shots. Nooblet did some testing last night and there is zero weapon behavior difference between input devices, recoil is 1:1. It means PC has absolutely no recoil.

Also I can't for life of me figure out why this game is inconsistent in almost everything it does. You would expect similar action result in similar outcome over X repeats, but in this game outcome seems to be vastly different each time. It's driving me insane as you can't tell what you are doing wrong in execution. Is it normal for modern CoD to seem very random? Every even more straight 1on1 without fuckery with hops and drops with same weapon and kit plays so differently.

Infatuating because there is nothing to learn as every time everything plays differently no matter how consistent execution is. Maybe MM is just borked and keeps putting you against people that can be vastly above your skill level in the game so it brings a lot X factor to matches?

Also audio. Positional audio is all over the place in accuracy. At times you can play by footstep audio, but then a lot of time it just lies to you. Audio for Y axis is pretty much always wrong so you can't tell in which floor target is and had situation where footstep comes from your left yet player comes around from right side etc. Even BFV positional audio works better and that game has muddy audio landscape.

Edit: Has anyone on PC figured out good brightness settings? Darks are too dark and brights are too bright, but I see players who track you 100% accurately even in pitch black moments.

Oct 26, 2017
There's currently an exploit to get beneath the ground. You can just pick people off without getting targeted, not saying he did that but many people are.

That said I've been a few away from a nuke while running and gunning. I think groundwar is chaotic enough that camping isn't necessarily the move.
Also might have an Aimbot on. I actually encountered one today... yikes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this has got to be the biggest 180 I've done in a while, cause I've spent the last three hours playing with a controller on PC and I enjoyed pretty much every second of it. It's night and day compared to M+KB play, which was fucking infuriating, inconsistent and borderline unfair-feeling. The twitchy, insane pace of M+KB gameplay really highlighted the terrible netcode in the worst ways possible.

Controller gameplay feels more like what I expected - slower, more methodical gameplay. It's not nearly as twitchy. Sure there's plenty of the usual CoD fuckery going on, but it's not nearly as prevalent with controllers.

As long as they don't fuck with the crossplay system (particularly by making input-based crossplay opt-in and not the default, cause nobody on consoles is gonna turn that on), this jumped back to being a very certain day one purchase for me. Glad I decided to try the game with a controller too - I had initially written it off completely thanks to the PS4 beta, but I used an Xbone controller tonight and I gotta say, while I otherwise prefer the Dualshock, the Xbone pad is much better for shooters like this. The actually consistent framerate and non-claustrophobic FOV help too, of course.

Game most likely is 100% designed around console and pad experience when it comes to gunplay etc.

Yeah, there's pretty much no doubt about that.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Realism is currently a god damn joke.

"Removes all HUD elements" and yet the game still displays the enemies name above them, and you can still have the mini-map in the top left.

If you say "removes all HUD elements", just do it 100% and not half-assed. This could be THE hardcore mode with those changes.

Edit: Oh, and lock people out from seeing the scoreboard so noone has a clue who is in the lead.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
This gun looks absurd and I love it.

absurd6qj8w.png

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the gunfight osp gamemode, might buy the game because of it.

Would be cool to add a 1v1 mode as well.

Cyber attack has been solid so far too.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
This game has to have the worst netcode of all time. Emptying a clip on someone and having the kill cam show that not the game didn't even register a shot you made is fucking bullshit. Thank you, Activision, for making me save $60.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If one enjoys gameplay where you don't need to aim for shit and just spray then this is great, yes.

TTD is basically blink of an eye.

I mean, no, because you still have to land an average of 3 shots to kill someone and recoil is insane while hip-firing in this game.

Lower TTK rewards the player with the better aim + faster reaction time, as it should be.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I mean, no, because you still have to land an average of 3 shots to kill someone and recoil is insane while hip-firing in this game.

Lower TTK rewards the player with the better aim + faster reaction time, as it should be.

TTK and TTD are two different things.

Both are very low in this game and aiming is barely needed for anything. Just hop spray at upper body for borderline instant kill with M4, MP5 or MP7. Even AK can compete from close range with hip spray as it has atrocious ADS speed.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
TTD is just the other person's TTK?

Not exactly. Ideally it should be as close as possible, but sometimes netcode makes it so that your time to death is slightly faster than the enemy's time to kill. I think what that poster is saying is that the ttd feels too much faster than the ttk and it makes the game feel unfair.

I think the M4 is very strong atm and maybe could use a bit of a range reduction so that it's not outclassing Marksman rifles at medium-long range. The MP7 and Oden are about where they should be from what I can tell, and the Marksman rifles feel very weak. Haven't used many other non-shotgun weapons other than those.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Not exactly. Ideally it should be as close as possible, but sometimes netcode makes it so that your time to death is slightly faster than the enemy's time to kill. I think what that poster is saying is that the ttd feels too much faster than the ttk and it makes the game feel unfair.

Combine that bursty TTD with hop meta and you get gameplay where you just explode moment player enters your screen giving you no chance to react.

Yeah, it blows.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I generally disagree with this line of thinking in most games. Usually when people complain about "netcode" or "unfairness", they're really just trying to pass the buck to anything that can explain away their own mistakes. I'm not saying that netcode issues don't exist, but you will never see high-skill players legitimately complaining about it.

Also, think about it from the other side: if your TTD is lower than your TTK, isn't that also true for the people you shoot at, making the entire argument null?