• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Weird how most games do not reward you the way scorestreaks do and yet people still play the objective. But I think people also have a misconception about playing the objective, being that you do not have to literally be on the objective to contribute to a win. Using the end score to signify if someone was playing the map right is just too open to error. Someone could never touch the objectives and yet contribute heavily towards a win. The person who just sat on the objective and reaped the benefit of others hard work can complain that they did all the work but in actuality the score did not reflect who contributed the most.

I do not think most of the maps in this game, with the spawn system and in totality, support objective modes very well though. At least with random teams it is not like you are employing a coherent strategy. So I have seen plenty of people screw up a winning position, because they would push a third point when it was a bad time to or leave a flank exposed, etc..
Most games don't feature progression systems that revolve solely around not doing objectives

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Weird how most games do not reward you the way scorestreaks do and yet people still play the objective. But I think people also have a misconception about playing the objective, being that you do not have to literally be on the objective to contribute to a win. Using the end score to signify if someone was playing the map right is just too open to error. Someone could never touch the objectives and yet contribute heavily towards a win. The person who just sat on the objective and reaped the benefit of others hard work can complain that they did all the work but in actuality the score did not reflect who contributed the most.

I do not think most of the maps in this game, with the spawn system and in totality, support objective modes very well though. At least with random teams it is not like you are employing a coherent strategy. So I have seen plenty of people screw up a winning position, because they would push a third point when it was a bad time to or leave a flank exposed, etc..
Yeah, when I refer to 'playing the objective' I don't exclusively mean people throwing their bodies on points or something - being a slayer and controlling relevant zones of the map are crucial to winning an obj match. It's a lot easier for someone to take B when the enemy team can barely get past their 'base'

That said, the players that refuse to play the objective in CoD are next level compared to any other shooter. People will gladly run past a flag, even if it just needs the person to stand on it for a second. They'll let the enemy team control the entire middle of the map just so they can try and flank their spawn, or they'll sit in corners of the map that barely see traffic. There are even some bizarre instances in a mode like Kill Confirmed where people will never collect a tag, even if it's right in front of them. As odd as that behavior is, it happens a lot more frequently than it should, even in the higher sbmm lobbies

As far as game modes go, I just stick to the objective types. The presence of an objective at least directs players enough to give the maps a better flow. Overall I would say hardpoint is probably the best mode in the game, but it would be even better if they just randomized the objectives. I think they keep the pattern predictable for the pros, but in pubs I would expect it to play better randomized

Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe the issues with the maps is because they are not spending enough time developing them, going for quantity over top tier quality. I think it is obvious they put a lot of time into making the maps but they lack a certain final touch or bit of polish.

As far as game modes go, I just stick to the objective types. The presence of an objective at least directs players enough to give the maps a better flow. Overall I would say hardpoint is probably the best mode in the game, but it would be even better if they just randomized the objectives. I think they keep the pattern predictable for the pros, but in pubs I would expect it to play better randomized

I definitely agree about sticking to objective modes. TDM in COD will always promote a camp style since not dying is inherently part of the objective there.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Did they remove Shipment from Mosh Pit? I haven't been able to get a match in Shipment anymore...

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The worst thing that happened to this game for me was the removal of Shoot House 24/7 playlist. I've lost a lot of interest in playing since then.

Did they remove Shipment from Mosh Pit? I haven't been able to get a match in Shipment anymore...
What's happening is everyone is backing out of Vacant lobbies because they want to play Shipment. So there are a lot of open Vacant lobbies which in turn causes you to find a Vacant lobby before a Shipment lobby. They really should have just made a Shipment 24/7 lobby because no one wants to play Vacant.

Oct 25, 2017

They absolutely refuse to add a voting system so every vacant lobby is constantly cycling players thus making games that take forever to start while no one leaves shipment lobbies. Does this seem like a basic issue you could easily solve? Well fuck you.

I swear this shits rigged cuz sometimes I just insta join vacant before I can even leave the lobby. I'm still going to leave. If they didnt want people only playing shipment they shouldn't have added such a dumbass map.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Most games don't feature progression systems that revolve solely around not doing objectives
It's the pitfall of designing 95% of your game modes around objective play, and deincentivizing it through emphasizing kills over all else. Folks complain about killcounts being shown while hiding deaths, but what if killcounts weren't shown at all if you weren't played TDM, KC, or FFA?

Hell, remember how BO4 didn't track kills, but rather eliminations, and any damage dealt to an enemy who was finished by an ally counted as an elimination? By making the most important individual stat in modes into an EDR instead of a KDR (or even a KDA over KDR), and then not showing players their KDR, MW2019 could encourage players to focus on objective play. Reintroducing scorestreaks and turning Point Man into "Kill Man" or something (and removing Kill Chain altogether, because it's bunk) and focusing more on teamplay could really help this game in both the casual and competitive scene.

And hey, I know it'll earn me some ire, but BO4 prior to being bogged down with tons of overpowered DLC guns (looking at you, Stingray!) was some of the most fun I've had with CoD in ages. Barebones was chef's kiss-levels of Call of Duty MP goodness. I loved the manual healing, actual gunfights, and a focus on objectives and map control.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever fix spawns? Whats taking them so long

Why is Shipment absolute shit with the spawns. Vacant's okay right? I feel like the community has been completely disappointed with the retro maps. Did the devs ever end up responding to major complaints yet?

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that Vacant plays very well, it's probably one of the top maps in the game, which I'm surprised to say as I figured they would have found a way to ruin it by adding those doors all over the place. It's just getting a bad rep because people would rather play shipment or shoot house 24/7

Shipment is a cluster fuck. Like, it has never been this much of a cluster fuck before. The shipment containers on the sides of the map that use to be angled are now positioned straight, so you can maintain a clear line of sight down the sides of the map. Then you have the spawns that will literally place you next to enemies, behind enemies, on top of grenades, on top of objectives, etc. It's map where you can easily end a game by going 80-80. I suppose it's good if you want pure chaos, but it's really only playable with a high capacity SMG. I liked the shoot house 24/7, but a couple matches in the vacant/shipment 24/7 was enough for me

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't played a C.O.D. game since college (Modern Warfare 2) and got this game with my graphics card. Is there a ranked game mode? Not because I'm good... exactly the opposite... I usually finish in the bottom 1 or 2 and drag my team down getting called (not-so-nice) names along the way. Figured if I did poorly in ranked then maybe I'd play with others of similar (lack of) experience?

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't played a C.O.D. game since college (Modern Warfare 2) and got this game with my graphics card. Is there a ranked game mode? Not because I'm good... exactly the opposite... I usually finish in the bottom 1 or 2 and drag my team down getting called (not-so-nice) names along the way. Figured if I did poorly in ranked then maybe I'd play with others of similar (lack of) experience?
There's no ranked mode, but there is sbmm across all multiplayer modes that keeps things pretty even. How strict the sbmm is is still a topic of debate, but generally speaking I hear things are working quite well for players who don't try to sweat it out and play like pros. It's totally possible that you may find yourself having better matches since it's likely that you'll be kept away from the more sweaty players (people that like to play like pros and get big kills), as you'll be kept with players who are closer to your skill rating. The TTK for most guns is very low, so if you had an issue getting kills in, say, Black Ops 4 then you might find yourself doing better here as well.

One caveat though: Ground War (the 64 player mode) is much less strict with the sbmm, so you may find yourself going up against tougher players there, but it's likely that you'd still be in a lobby that's more varied when it comes to skill

Also, one thing to keep in mind: the sbmm makes the game feel pretty good for solo play, but it can be tricky if you play with a friend, or group that's more varied in their skill. Matchmaking seems to go off of the player in your party with the highest skill rating, so it can be lead to frustrating sessions if you play in a group with different skill levels

Of course, this is all hearsay until Infinity Ward ever decides to discuss what is actually going on, but with the sbmm, ttk, and map design, I think players with your background may find themselves having a damn good time.

One last thing: you've probably heard of the crossplay system already, but if you play with a mouse then the game will try to only match you with other m&kb players. If you use a controller then it will match you with controller users from the xbox and ps4 communities. I've heard some pc players say they had a more enjoyable time playing with a controller

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spent an hour trying to get the daily 10 EOD hack mission done before realizing I've had that mission equipped for a week and only have 8/15

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
This version of Shipment is craaaaaaazy. Those spawns are out of control.

Had it come up in TDM for the first time and the match was over in like two minutes, haha.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they're afraid that Shipment 24/7 will make people level up too fast. But then they shouldn't have remade the map if they were afraid of that.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
There's no ranked mode, but there is sbmm across all multiplayer modes that keeps things pretty even. How strict the sbmm is is still a topic of debate, but generally speaking I hear things are working quite well for players who don't try to sweat it out and play like pros. It's totally possible that you may find yourself having better matches since it's likely that you'll be kept away from the more sweaty players (people that like to play like pros and get big kills), as you'll be kept with players who are closer to your skill rating. The TTK for most guns is very low, so if you had an issue getting kills in, say, Black Ops 4 then you might find yourself doing better here as well.

One caveat though: Ground War (the 64 player mode) is much less strict with the sbmm, so you may find yourself going up against tougher players there, but it's likely that you'd still be in a lobby that's more varied when it comes to skill

Also, one thing to keep in mind: the sbmm makes the game feel pretty good for solo play, but it can be tricky if you play with a friend, or group that's more varied in their skill. Matchmaking seems to go off of the player in your party with the highest skill rating, so it can be lead to frustrating sessions if you play in a group with different skill levels

Of course, this is all hearsay until Infinity Ward ever decides to discuss what is actually going on, but with the sbmm, ttk, and map design, I think players with your background may find themselves having a damn good time.

One last thing: you've probably heard of the crossplay system already, but if you play with a mouse then the game will try to only match you with other m&kb players. If you use a controller then it will match you with controller users from the xbox and ps4 communities. I've heard some pc players say they had a more enjoyable time playing with a controller

Thanks for the detailed response. I took your suggestion and switched to a controller and am having a lot more fun generally middle of the pack to bottom half, but that's better than consistently last!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Shipment is just absurdly hilarious. I got Into some a hard point game I think on it and ended up with like 68 kills. It was my first game in a couple of weeks and I loved just how stupid it all was. It actually got me to play for a few hours today after lol.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck is my friend getting free packs in the just for you section daily and I get nothing? Second day in a row.

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Spent an hour trying to get the daily 10 EOD hack mission done before realizing I've had that mission equipped for a week and only have 8/15

It took me a good couple of hours to do the 15 on that mission. Equiping the perk that lets you see equipment through walls and the Dead Silience field upgrade helps alot so enemies sitting on claymores and trip mines cant hear you when you approach and hack. The main issue though is stupid fucking team mates running through claymores and setting them off mid hack!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It took me a good couple of hours to do the 15 on that mission. Equiping the perk that lets you see equipment through walls and the Dead Silience field upgrade helps alot so enemies sitting on claymores and trip mines cant hear you when you approach and hack. The main issue though is stupid fucking team mates running through claymores and setting them off mid hack!

Yeah, I found out that your teammates are easily the biggest obstacle in that mission. So many times a teammate would shoot a device while I'm hacking it.

I miss the black hats from Black Ops

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Double Weapon XP weekend was productive. I fully leveled up the SA87, MG34, Model 680, and Origin 12. Made significant progress on AK-47, FAL, EBR, Uzi, RPG, and Strela. Hit tier 100 on Battle Pass and all in-game challenges are now complete.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I get the reason for Shipment not being by itself, it really shouldn't be paired with Vacant in a playlist. These two maps just play nothing alike.

If anything I think shipment/shoot house would be a better choice as both maps are pretty fucking wild with the Kills and Score.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
What game mode is best for the officer ribbon challenge of getting 5 kills while defending a single objective without dying? That's all I have left with calling a juggernaut

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Shipment / Shoothouse would be sweeeet. This is too much vacant, and I really like the map.

If Strike, Crossfire and Ambush made their way to this I'd be so happy but I never played the COD4 remaster. I wouldn't mind waiting. But I'd love if they make a comeback. Bring all the maps!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What game mode is best for the officer ribbon challenge of getting 5 kills while defending a single objective without dying? That's all I have left with calling a juggernaut
Domination would be my pick. Headquarters and Hardpoint usually have multiple enemies coming your way at once and it's harder to take them out without dying. But on Dom they tend to come one by one or in smaller waves, so it's easier to defend.

Make sure you stay on the flag the whole time, though.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Domination would be my pick. Headquarters and Hardpoint usually have multiple enemies coming your way at once and it's harder to take them out without dying. But on Dom they tend to come one by one or in smaller waves, so it's easier to defend.

Make sure you stay on the flag the whole time, though.
Will it also be possible to stay on the point and the kills dealt by a kill streak count towards it? I tried that yesterday but 4 kills in (vtol) I died so couldn't tell if it worked or not

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shipment is dumb fun. Its terrible sure, but you will get some killstreaks going on.

I generally camp next to the door of the opened container (with the device in it I think). Enemies will spawn in front of you, and you can hold the sightline to the open container. Enemies will eventually try to jumpshot you from around the corner but I expect them. This is how I grinded Chopper Gunner medals.

I fucking hate Gun Runner though. I can't do well there whatever I try. I think I am going to camp into C flag containers above when that map comes up. Same goes for Crash, I hate that map too.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck is my friend getting free packs in the just for you section daily and I get nothing? Second day in a row.
You haven't gotten anything at all yet? Or your friend is getting multiple free things? Are you pressing R2 to cycle through that just for you section? I think my free gift wasn't the first option if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double XP and double tier rate coming this week.

Time to stump up for the Battlepass.

I really want Nikto but there's more rumours that Ghost will be an operator and I don't want spend points on that to then be gutted when he pops up.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You haven't gotten anything at all yet? Or your friend is getting multiple free things? Are you pressing R2 to cycle through that just for you section? I think my free gift wasn't the first option if I remember correctly.
I got one free thing and nothing else. I cycle through and it's the usual. Weird thing is in another category my friend was telling me to look at something and for some reason we had two different stores.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Piccadilly is almost always the first map that comes up when I play Domination in quick play. Fuck off matchmaking. I don't even mind the map as much, just...it's usually always the first map of the day

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Piccadilly is almost always the first map that comes up when I play Domination in quick play. Fuck off matchmaking. I don't even mind the map as much, just...it's usually always the first map of the day
Ya, the map isn't so bad anymore in domination. But man do I rage at my screen when my team is holding C and B and some idiot goes and caps A. Lol. All hell breaks out when that happens.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
FML I'm buying this one

AGB_MW_CB_Mad_Chemist.jpg

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Fuck me... haven't played this for a couple of weeks, now I'm considering of buying the battle pass + 20 tiers, Nikto, Infiltrator and Mad Chemist.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the RAM. It melts people pretty good. I still think I enjoy using the Kilo the most though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game the other day and that gif where a guy runs across the road and is lit the fuck up was not kidding around. You almost never see anyone moving in this game. Lol

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
So I went and changed my Activision account name and now the game is showing me as being back at level 1. I'm also unable to load any missions or challenges and the ones I previously completed all appear to have reset. I'm assuming this is show sort of server synch error and that my progress hasn't actually been reset, right? Please tell me my weeks worth of progress is not gone...

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Finally completed all officer ribbons, did the 5 objective kills while defending on shipment of all maps. Died 60 times but I did it tho lol. Also called in a juggernaut with killchain on hc tdm. After rank 156 (95 on battle pass) it's pointless activating double xp, might as well save it till the next reset, time to get my K/D back up to atleast 1.50 before the next reset. BFV I'm at 47k kills (played since launch till cod came out) and cod 23k, looks like I'll definitely catch up to BFV in no time and since the last of us 2 factions is not shipping with the single player portion, I'll definitely be playing this game for a while