• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

EKUv591UwAAsUj9

Finally. \o/ (But where is Terminal? :( )

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Maps are in a good direction. Just port the rest of CoD4 maps or throw some MW2 maps in there and remove all of the base maps from the game. I literally could not imagine that a single person would care if Piccadilly or Caves was removed.
This is the first COD game where I actually shut the console off because I booted into a server, saw the map and thought "Fuck it, I dont care about these maps"

The maps might still be redeemable if they fix spawns and the core gameplay, but as it stands, I have zero interest to play half of them

Jun 23, 2019
Wait so is that the reason why all of my matches have been super sweaty because of SBMM? I didn't even realize it was in the game haha. I just kept thinking it was because it was the luck of the draw.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
  1. Worse connections, the more you prioritize skill the worse connections and matchmaking times will be
  2. Like you said, it's stressful. Not everyone wants to have to sweat their balls off whenever they play CoD, sometimes you just wanna jump into a few games and have fun, SBMM makes this impossible
Seriously, if a dev wants to match people based on skill just make a proper ranked playlist with season rewards ffs.
My problem is when your in a higher bracket, you're basically forced meta weapons to compete.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game is a big learning experience for the franchise with map design. More areas and vantage spots do not equal better maps. If I turn a corner and have to account for like six possible locations where I can get shot from then it is seriously messed up I am just going to stay put. Another thing that has only recently hit me is just how many parts of these maps would be totally inaccessible in previous Cod games due the amount of locations that can be mantled/climbed.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
My work sells those 15 min Douple XP Moutain Dews for 50 cents. I'm not proud of the amount of those I've bought :-/

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So what exactly is the argument against SBMM?

From what I understand, players who do well start to get matched with players who also play well but the good players don't want to be matched against other good players all the time because it's stressful?

So they'd like to loosen SBMM so that they can play less skilled players sometimes and have more casual matches where they can still out perform the other team?
The single biggest problem is that there's no feedback for what skill cohort you're placed into, so there's no good barometer for progress.

Digging into my own stats, I see that I have gotten demonstrably better at the game since I started playing (the first guns I leveled had about 10-20% accuracy; the latest guns I've been using have about 20-30% accuracy); my average score per game has also gone up from around 1000 to 2000, and my average kills have also gone up from 15 in the first few days of gameplay to now 30 on average.

Yet my K:D has dropped from 1.10 in the first week to now 1.04, and K:D is the one big stat the game throws in your face. Feels bad.

Jun 1, 2019
I can't figure out why guns feel so lethal in this game. I went through some old ttk charts for all of the CoD games, and they basically confirm that Modern Warfare really isn't among the fastest ttk's in the series, but I feel like I don't get melted as fast in CoD4 or MW2, even though those 2 games have way faster ttk's than Modern Warfare. Is this a netcode issue? A weapon handling issue? A time to death issue? Or am I the only one who feels this way?

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't get why everyone was crying about sbmm but now that I'm rank 106 i really understand why. I don't even feel like I'm having fun it's just stressful as hell to play now

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This. It won't happen but it'd be at least nice to see some sort of acknowledgment of things even if they're not going to change, and they're very obviously aware of the complaints per those internal notes.

Decent maps + a loosening of SBMM would probably be enough for me honestly. I mostly just got fed up of being at an outright disadvantage trying to level new guns and go for camos because most of my opponents were using gold M4s, 725s and AUGs. Remakes/ports of older maps aren't necessarily my first pick, but at least we know what we're getting there, and at least it's an improvement over the existing maps so I'll take it.

I will also give them credit for making it so everyone can apparently unlock the "base" versions of the weapons, unless there turns out to be some hidden lining there.

What's infuriating to me is, Infinity Ward has ALL the stuff to make possibly one of the best COD MPs ever (no hyperbole). No Supply Drops, free maps, crossplay, gunplay is solid, etc. All sunk in by stubborness. Some have suggested that they make a "noob room" if they're scared that newbies will not play after being stomped, and I agree. Crysis did it before, and it kinda worked then.

I think what gets me the most is the enemy visibility issue. I died three times in Hackneye Yard today since I kept going back to the same spot just to see if I can spot that person who killed me. All three times? Nope. He was covered by shadow in one of the awnings or something. Just insane.

I can handle SBMM, i can handle that every match I play is at 50-75ms (I'm in Asia(, but the enemy visibility is what gets me. Add in that there's no red dots, super camping meta, and it's just a recipe for disaster. I usually play COD (outside of work) to have fun, but I find that I don't even have that and just hate myself for playing it.
Wait so is that the reason why all of my matches have been super sweaty because of SBMM? I didn't even realize it was in the game haha. I just kept thinking it was because it was the luck of the draw.

Yes. COD YouTuber Xclusive Ace proved this. You're basically graded every five matches, and when you do well, you're going to be put in a lobby that will make your balls sweat (not in a good way).

No fixes. They've gone dark.

This is honestly baffling to me. I mean, if a car salesman sold a fleet to a company and didn't return calls, we'd get lawsuits. IW just flat out left the subreddit, and only answers tech questions on Twitter. Oh, of course they acknowledge any positive stuff tweeted at them, too.

We just want confirmation or acknowledgement. You know those times when your pay gets delayed and the HR peeps have an update of "no update?" That's way better than being ignored. I don't blame the subreddit for being super negative now.

This is the post that makes the rounds on reddit that I've posted here before, I disagree with some of it but it's a good overall post:

In *most* games I'm totally fine with SBMM. The dealbreakers in CoD for me specifically are:

-It fucks up groups that have players of wildly disparate levels. I had two friends buy the game who are....significantly worse than me, they got absolutely curbstomped playing with me across multiple sessions, they both sold their copies and I outright have told two other friends who were asking me if they should get it with the $38 BF deal to not get it because they'd be in a similar boat. YMMV on this one if you're a solo player of playing a similarly skilled group of course.

-Most games don't have a wide range of weapons with lots of levels and skins to unlock. You can go back and see posts from me in this thread where I spent like 2 weeks getting fucking railed 90% of the time because I wanted to hit max level (not camo) on the SCAR which is an awful fucking gun, but SBMM was matching me against people of a similar level using way better guns (aka M4s etc) so I lose encounters repeatedly that I would have won otherwise. Not a good time.

-CoD has a focus on killstreaks, and as a pretty average player it's even harder than it was before to get higher killstreaks. In earlier entries in an evening I'd get a couple AC-130s etc, not every game but just enough where it was something I could shoot for and get occasionally. In this game it's a struggle for me to even get a VTOL because if SBMM is working as intended, you're fighting people at about the same skill as you so getting 8+ kills a life is gonna be much harder than before.

The first two points are the biggest ones for me. And yes I know Ground War doesn't have SBMM, but that mode is garbage; tanks + CoD ttk + snipers not having to headshots to kill like BF just do not work in CoD IMO. Of course half of responses to anyone wanting SBMM to be loosening/removed is "you just want to pubstomp" acting like there's not a vast gulf between "every match being a struggle" and "going 40-0" soooooo. I also personally feel CoD is a more casual experience but that one's a fair debate on both sides.

It's actually kind of insane how good the gunplay is in this game that I even still entertain putting it back on considering the above, the community complaints, and some of the worst spawns and maps I've ever seen in a multiplayer game (Bridge + Picadilly are easy 2 of the top 3 worst multiplayer maps of all time). I've actually gone back to Battlefront 2 and having a better time there, and that game has crazy fucking issues (different issues mostly, but still massive issues).

Gunplay in this is solid. I actually like it a lot. TTK is fine with me too. Euphrates Bridge is my most hated map ever. Even when we win, I feel like a cheater since I camp the enemy's spawn with a sniper. That shit is insane. I have no clue how that got past game testing.

Tavorsk in Ground War is super broken too. There's this building for the A side that if you camp, you can see people literally spawn on the firehouse thing. Me and the squad I was with just picked them off, and I gather, some of them quit. We unleashed streak after streak, and I feel for them since we did it not by skill, but by exploiting the game.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for Crash, don't get the love for Vacant would have preferred Downpour.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think many people are holding on some hopes that this game can, and will, become the game they are clamoring for. But I doubt that that will happen. If you don't actively enjoy the game as it's currently is, you might as well quit already. Yes, the game can, and probably will, get better with time and patches. But it isn't fundamentally going to alter. Many of the proposed ideas won't actually achieve the desired effects.

This game is fundamentally a different game than the CoD games from the past. Although the differences are slight, I think there is no way to ignore this difference and push it in a way that it isn't designed for. All you will end up with is a worse game, rather than the game people are hoping for.

Oct 27, 2017
What's infuriating to me is, Infinity Ward has ALL the stuff to make possibly one of the best COD MPs ever (no hyperbole). No Supply Drops, free maps, crossplay, gunplay is solid, etc. All sunk in by stubborness. Some have suggested that they make a "noob room" if they're scared that newbies will not play after being stomped, and I agree. Crysis did it before, and it kinda worked then.

I think what gets me the most is the enemy visibility issue. I died three times in Hackneye Yard today since I kept going back to the same spot just to see if I can spot that person who killed me. All three times? Nope. He was covered by shadow in one of the awnings or something. Just insane.

I can handle SBMM, i can handle that every match I play is at 50-75ms (I'm in Asia(, but the enemy visibility is what gets me. Add in that there's no red dots, super camping meta, and it's just a recipe for disaster. I usually play COD (outside of work) to have fun, but I find that I don't even have that and just hate myself for playing it.

Yes. COD YouTuber Xclusive Ace proved this. You're basically graded every five matches, and when you do well, you're going to be put in a lobby that will make your balls sweat (not in a good way).

This is honestly baffling to me. I mean, if a car salesman sold a fleet to a company and didn't return calls, we'd get lawsuits. IW just flat out left the subreddit, and only answers tech questions on Twitter. Oh, of course they acknowledge any positive stuff tweeted at them, too.

We just want confirmation or acknowledgement. You know those times when your pay gets delayed and the HR peeps have an update of "no update?" That's way better than being ignored. I don't blame the subreddit for being super negative now.

Gunplay in this is solid. I actually like it a lot. TTK is fine with me too. Euphrates Bridge is my most hated map ever. Even when we win, I feel like a cheater since I camp the enemy's spawn with a sniper. That shit is insane. I have no clue how that got past game testing.

Tavorsk in Ground War is super broken too. There's this building for the A side that if you camp, you can see people literally spawn on the firehouse thing. Me and the squad I was with just picked them off, and I gather, some of them quit. We unleashed streak after streak, and I feel for them since we did it not by skill, but by exploiting the game.
Dude there has been times when I've ran right past someone in my sight cause they blend in to map too damn much. I've seen others do it as well.
Excited for Crash, don't get the love for Vacant would have preferred Downpour.
I thought vacant was backlot and was hyped and while vacant is still good it has a few power positions that will be annoying if people camp heavy.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
  • Aniyah Palace in Ground War: Currently focused on new Season 1 content, and they want to eventually add it to Ground War.
  • Dead Silence: For Pubs, they will lower the footstep volume overall. Devs working closely with pros to test out what works best.
  • Perk Balance: Cecot says Infinity Ward may have made some mistakes with perks and put too many in Perk 1 slot. They need to analyze more to see how to change it to balance it better.
  • Tank Nerf: IW is working on nerfing the tank to reduce the straight shots it can make to avoid camping on the hills.
  • Spawns in modes: Cecot says they are working on ways to improve the spawns across all modes and maps. Still figuring out best ways to balance it effectively.
  • Map Voting: They don't want map voting because data from previous games shows that players leave if their vote does not win, which causes lobbies to break up. YouTubers suggested to add a Vote to Skip option; Cecot said they will look into this.
  • Staying in Same Lobby: In regards to staying in the same lobby after the match, there is an error in the game that does this often; they wanted it to be where you can stay in the same lobby but it resets every several games to change it up, but that did not get implemented fully into the game for launch.
  • Mini Map: They have no plans to change the mini map. The design of it now was how they intended for it to be in this game. Cecot said they want the UAV to be more of a reward. Swagg says they asked why Ghost is so powerful then and Cecot apparently said they would look at that more, but they want mini map to stay as is.
  • Damascus Camo Issues: They are working to fix issues with unlocking the camo, and they have fix coming soon.
  • Skill Based Matchmaking: At first Cecot mentioned that its a "hot topic" and he "can't really talk about it." Matchmaking in Modern Warfare is "not the same as Infinite Warfare" and that it is "different in every Call of Duty." He said that connection is "big priority." He said they are "constantly tweaking it."

Some really fucking stupid answer here in my opinion. When it comes to the mini-map he's basically saying they're putting their fingers in their ears while screaming "LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA", I don't even need the precise location of enemy gunfire on my map, just give me the general direction so I don't have to look at 2 separate HUD elements at the same time.
The answer as to why there's no map voting also makes 0 sense, as if people won't leave as well when you force a bad map down their throats.
Also, why close lobbies after a few games "to change it up"? It's fucking public matches, chances are that after 3 or so games so many people will have left to be replaced by another player that I'm playing with completely different people than I was half an hour ago anyway.
Also lol at the fact that he simply can't comment on SBMM, Infinity Ward is fully aware people hate it so they're just avoiding the topic.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Some really fucking stupid answer here in my opinion. When it comes to the mini-map he's basically saying they're putting their fingers in their ears while screaming "LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA", I don't even need the precise location of enemy gunfire on my map, just give me the general direction so I don't have to look at 2 separate HUD elements at the same time.
The answer as to why there's no map voting also makes 0 sense, as if people won't leave as well when you force a bad map down their throats.
Also, why close lobbies after a few games "to change it up"? It's fucking public matches, changes are that after 3 or so games so many people will have left to be replaced by another player that I'm playing with completely different people than I was half an hour ago anyway.
Also lol at the fact that he simply can't comment on SBMM, Infinity Ward is fully aware people hate it so they're just avoiding the topic.
They need to replace whoever is in charge like they did with WWII

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
The single biggest problem is that there's no feedback for what skill cohort you're placed into, so there's no good barometer for progress.

Digging into my own stats, I see that I have gotten demonstrably better at the game since I started playing (the first guns I leveled had about 10-20% accuracy; the latest guns I've been using have about 20-30% accuracy); my average score per game has also gone up from around 1000 to 2000, and my average kills have also gone up from 15 in the first few days of gameplay to now 30 on average.

Yet my K:D has dropped from 1.10 in the first week to now 1.04, and K:D is the one big stat the game throws in your face. Feels bad.

I agree that this sucks but TBH I'm not sure how it's different from any other big game. They all have hidden skill ratings in their quick play modes they use for matchmaking.

League of Legends / DotA 2 / Overwatch / Siege / etc. All of the unranked game modes have a completely hidden Elo-style value assigned that they use for matchmaking.

Of those games I've really only played the first 3, but you get similar feelings in all of them, where you're technically getting better but it can be really hard to tell due your opponents equally getting better. Hell in stuff like League your stats will naturally trend worse as you go up as the people in the lowest ranks are so derpy at ending the game properly that you can get 100+ total kill games but then as you go up people play smarter & safer and will naturally trend your KDA down.

I guess the only exception those games has is in LoL / DotA you have other metrics that will trend up as you get better (e.g. CS if you're a laner in LoL), whereas CoD doesn't have much.

Oct 27, 2017

Also, why close lobbies after a few games "to change it up"? It's fucking public matches, changes are that after 3 or so games so many people will have left to be replaced by another player that I'm playing with completely different people than I was half an hour ago anyway.
Get this dude off CoD. Sounds like he's the problem. Bunch of non answers.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Cock, now I know for sure that I can delete this garbage off my hard drive without feeling any regret, waiting for an overhaul update to come in any time soon.

I'll be on BLOPS4, call me when they get rid of this loser like what they did with WW2. I am gonna guess by January, when Activision sees the lower playerbase and the lack of $ being made from ppl buying their microtransactions.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017

What about after matches always having to find a new lobby every time.
edit: Saw it

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
What about after matches always having to find a new lobby every time.

They have to do this if Quick Play is going to work as it does currently.

You can't really let every player pick a bunch of completely different modes and keep the same lobby afterwards, so if they went back to the old system you'd only be able to queue for 1 mode at a time rather than have the option of user variety.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
So believe it or not...i don't like playing against console players even though i play on PC because that super aim assist they have pisses me off when i lose a gun fight due to their clearly snap on aiming. So I turned cross play off and I mainly run domination and I just left a lobby because everyone else on my team left and then I got put right back in the same lobby. Looks like the PC player base is already dying eh..?

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I agree that this sucks but TBH I'm not sure how it's different from any other big game. They all have hidden skill ratings in their quick play modes they use for matchmaking.

League of Legends / DotA 2 / Overwatch / Siege / etc. All of the unranked game modes have a completely hidden Elo-style value assigned that they use for matchmaking.

Of those games I've really only played the first 3, but you get similar feelings in all of them, where you're technically getting better but it can be really hard to tell due your opponents equally getting better. Hell in stuff like League your stats will naturally trend worse as you go up as the people in the lowest ranks are so derpy at ending the game properly that you can get 100+ total kill games but then as you go up people play smarter & safer and will naturally trend your KDA down.

I guess the only exception those games has is in LoL / DotA you have other metrics that will trend up as you get better (e.g. CS if you're a laner in LoL), whereas CoD doesn't have much.
The key difference is that those are team games in which coordination is a key part of the gameplay, and the game itself is tuned primarily for the competitive scene. Players are incentivized to win, not "do well"--and their Elo is adjusted based on the outcome of the match, not their personal performance. COD is fundamentally a selfish game, as each player goes into a match with their own progression objectives. Your barometer is primarily your K:D, and the game is actively pushing down against you. Stabilizing in COD feels very different than stabilizing in League.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017

Also, why close lobbies after a few games "to change it up"? It's fucking public matches, chances are that after 3 or so games so many people will have left to be replaced by another player that I'm playing with completely different people than I was half an hour ago anyway.

LMAO at most of these answers. I do at least appreciate some kind of answers, although I wish we had gotten some of this info a few weeks ago to save myself the headaches. Uninstalling, and with how fucking big the game (if we could install just MP I'd probably leave it) and my data cap this is pretty permanent uninstall unless there is a SIGNIFICANT turnaround on the game, aka this guy gets the boot like he honestly needs to. Even if you don't agree with a lot of the complaints, this guy seems really tone deaf. Godspeed everyone, I'll see you next year assuming Treyarch is able to slap that project together in 18 months; I mostly trust them, but not the timetable and what they were given.

Oct 25, 2017

Activision please "shuffle" this ass like you did with WW2.
Dude doesn't give a single fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Professional player Aches is claiming that Infinity Ward is lying when they say they're working with pros to figure out what to do with Dead Silence

I may not enjoy the game but I'll certainly enjoy the backlash and possible train wreck if they've gotta change the game after being so damn stubborn. I'd honestly just take the L if they came out and said this is how they want it instead of being silent.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Are they serious? They want no footsteps as a perk so it's constantly active? So you have no idea where the fuck that person just came up from? And people complain about the respawns. I feel like I cheat when I activate dead silence.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Are they serious? They want no footsteps as a perk so it's constantly active? So you have no idea where the fuck that person just came up from? And people complain about the respawns. I feel like I cheat when I activate dead silence.
It was this way in other COD games.
Although to be fair, in other COD games, when you were shot at, you had a chance to return fire.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

The difference is that those are team based games. So yeah it makes sense to have a soft SBMM in quick play so teams aren't just thrown together with RNG.

CoD is not team based. CoD has always prioritized casual play over competitive. You can see this clearly with how ranked play has been treated in the past.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Skill-based matchmaking -- using Elo/MMR to determine who you match with.
The problem isn't that MW is using SBMM; it's their particular harsh implementation of it.

My guess is that they're trying to maximize their D30+ retention. They probably fought tooth and nail to convince ATVI HQ to allow them to go DLC-free, so now they have to put their money where their mouth is. COD traditionally has very heavy falloff throughout a product lifecycle and doesn't replenish with new users, so this time around they want to make sure that they capture the noob base as much as possible to ensure there's a population that actually spends. They probably figure the top X% of players are gonna stick with it no matter what.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
So, who asked David Vonderhaar to "disconnect" from Call of Duty?

Not gonna happen i guess, after Infinity Wards "Call of Duty Modern Gunfight - 2vs2 or gtfo"

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
If IW is being silent cause it wants to stick to it's guns, all I gotta say is....

Why?

What about insta dying to claymores, getting shot from enemies you can't see, having to keep an eye on every single window and vantage point, getting heard from a mile away, or having there be one weapon that dunks on all others, is fun?

This is what you get with ultra fast TTK. Yet people will still defend it to death. Raise the TTK, watch campers have no idea what to do.