• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Vacant, so glad it's coming back, shame I don't play core MP lol.

port looks like it might be good.

wonder how we get the guns.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen the maps they 'made' for this game?
Yes but still it just screams we don't care about new maps so here are old ones to shut everyone up.

Anyways played a few games before bed on something Raid domination map and it was 4v4 the entire time and that was even waiting five minutes for the lobby to fill. It was the same way on KC on St. Petrograd and my team only got 45 confirm and still won.

Oct 25, 2017
As a note, Gaming Revolution did say he heard Shipment was being redesigned.

Though I think he also said it tested poorly and they might go back to classic

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This content drop just isnt doing it for me. Im excited for more 6v6 maps and Gunfight maps, but man there are way too many issues with the game:

-Poor perk balance/loadout diversity
-SBMM is killing the fun big time for me
-Shipment is absolute garbage. I can't stand they are adding this back, it's nonsense and downright cheap. At least Shoot House and Nuketown are designed decently enough, but Shipment is terrible.
-The Ground War and Spec Ops maps would mean so much more if they were actually good modes. But they are terrible. Im never playing either of these modes as its clear that IW doesn't know how to make a good Ground War map, and they sure as hell have a lot of work to do to improve Spec Ops.
-I lose all joy to play this game's modes when it's blatantly clear people are playing for killstreaks and not the objective. I hate IW for making such a backwards decision as to gut scorestreaks as default

Crossing my fingers that they have a significant patch alongside the season 1 drop that will address some of these issues. It's high time they responded to the criticism and made changes around SBMM/Perk Balance/Spec Ops. This is pretty much what I'm clinging on to.

Ill be excited to play Crash and Vacant but I think it's highly indicative of the state of IW that we have to rely on tired and played out classic maps to be excited. COD4 Remastered lessens the hype of playing these maps again, so Ill hope that the next season will have MW2 maps as at least that is something I havent played in years.

How long do seasons last? Im guessing they dont intend to add any more maps until season 2?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I love Vacant, so glad it's coming back, shame I don't play core MP lol.

port looks like it might be good.

wonder how we get the guns.
My guess is that you unlock the base at certain BP levels and blueprints with high level attachments included will be sold in an a la carte store.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Super hyped for crash and vacant but a little bummed all three new maps (outside of the ground war/gunfight maps) are remakes. But maybe they're retooling their map design for any new maps based on feedback? I thought Shoot House was pretty good though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but still it just screams we don't care about new maps so here are old ones to shut everyone up.

Anyways played a few games before bed on something Raid domination map and it was 4v4 the entire time and that was even waiting five minutes for the lobby to fill. It was the same way on KC on St. Petrograd and my team only got 45 confirm and still won.
Call of Duty will never have better maps then stuff like Overgrown, Crash, etc so they might as well bring them back imo.

Treyarch is typically the one that just keeps bringing maps back over and over.

IW's is that they like Dome a lot, had 2 remakes in Ghosts and another in Infinite Warfare

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Oh snap, Crash and Vacant? Thank the lord for good maps. I could do without Shipment but hey can't go 3/3 I guess. Give me Terminal and Wet Works next.

Is the Battlepass also coming with this update?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
LOL I nearly spit out my drink. Now this has to be a thing. Also what's the current flavor of the patch? Seen a lot of .357s and FALs? Did they get buffed or something?
The 357 is basically a 6 round shotgun once you get the right attachments. Really crazy. FAL got a buff recently, so people are checking it out.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I'm happy with the content that is being added but IW still needs to make a blog post addressing the communities concern.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In fairness I would take every single MW 1/2/3 map remade for this game.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017

This is why I can't be too excited for this content unless there is a patch 'overhaul' to go along with it where it changes the pace of the game.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I would like the Christmas Crash version if I remember correctly Santa would drop of the care packages.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

EKUv591UwAAsUj9

Fucking Vacant and crash? Hell fucking yes. Shipment is fine.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely ok with old maps coming back to offset some of the bad newer ones. But I do hope to see some new ones as well. Shipment is a bit of a cluster but Crash and Vacant are great.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
New maps are good (although Shipment is gonna be a shitshow), but I still want some actual communication or at least acknowledgment from IW regarding community complaints before I come back to this. Well, outside of them accidentally leaving internal notes on patch notes lol.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This content drop just isnt doing it for me. Im excited for more 6v6 maps and Gunfight maps, but man there are way too many issues with the game:

-Poor perk balance/loadout diversity
-SBMM is killing the fun big time for me
-Shipment is absolute garbage. I can't stand they are adding this back, it's nonsense and downright cheap. At least Shoot House and Nuketown are designed decently enough, but Shipment is terrible.
-The Ground War and Spec Ops maps would mean so much more if they were actually good modes. But they are terrible. Im never playing either of these modes as its clear that IW doesn't know how to make a good Ground War map, and they sure as hell have a lot of work to do to improve Spec Ops.
-I lose all joy to play this game's modes when it's blatantly clear people are playing for killstreaks and not the objective. I hate IW for making such a backwards decision as to gut scorestreaks as default

Crossing my fingers that they have a significant patch alongside the season 1 drop that will address some of these issues. It's high time they responded to the criticism and made changes around SBMM/Perk Balance/Spec Ops. This is pretty much what I'm clinging on to.

Ill be excited to play Crash and Vacant but I think it's highly indicative of the state of IW that we have to rely on tired and played out classic maps to be excited. COD4 Remastered lessens the hype of playing these maps again, so Ill hope that the next season will have MW2 maps as at least that is something I havent played in years.

How long do seasons last? Im guessing they dont intend to add any more maps until season 2?

That's what the subreddit is saying now, too. You can release all the free content you want, but if the core gameplay is messed up, it won't make much of a difference.

There's going to a new patch for this next week for sure, but I doubt it will change anything big since IW seems to be sticking to their guns, and whatnot. I am just sad that it's another 11 months before a new COD comes in and replaces this one. :(

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Maps are in a good direction. Just port the rest of CoD4 maps or throw some MW2 maps in there and remove all of the base maps from the game. I literally could not imagine that a single person would care if Piccadilly or Caves was removed.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
6v6 maps should drop December 3rd, releasing the Gunfight maps and "new" modes over a few weeks is fine by me. That's also how it was done with BO4 by the way, new maps drop day 1 of the season, the rest is slowly released over the following weeks.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
That's what the subreddit is saying now, too. You can release all the free content you want, but if the core gameplay is messed up, it won't make much of a difference.

There's going to a new patch for this next week for sure, but I doubt it will change anything big since IW seems to be sticking to their guns, and whatnot. I am just sad that it's another 11 months before a new COD comes in and replaces this one. :(

This. It won't happen but it'd be at least nice to see some sort of acknowledgment of things even if they're not going to change, and they're very obviously aware of the complaints per those internal notes.

Decent maps + a loosening of SBMM would probably be enough for me honestly. I mostly just got fed up of being at an outright disadvantage trying to level new guns and go for camos because most of my opponents were using gold M4s, 725s and AUGs. Remakes/ports of older maps aren't necessarily my first pick, but at least we know what we're getting there, and at least it's an improvement over the existing maps so I'll take it.

I will also give them credit for making it so everyone can apparently unlock the "base" versions of the weapons, unless there turns out to be some hidden lining there.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So what exactly is the argument against SBMM?

From what I understand, players who do well start to get matched with players who also play well but the good players don't want to be matched against other good players all the time because it's stressful?

So they'd like to loosen SBMM so that they can play less skilled players sometimes and have more casual matches where they can still out perform the other team?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

From what I understand, players who do well start to get matched with players who also play well but the good players don't want to be matched against other good players all the time because it's stressful?

So they'd like to loosen SBMM so that they can play less skilled players sometimes and have more casual matches where they can still out perform the other team?
  1. Worse connections, the more you prioritize skill the worse connections and matchmaking times will be
  2. Like you said, it's stressful. Not everyone wants to have to sweat their balls off whenever they play CoD, sometimes you just wanna jump into a few games and have fun, SBMM makes this impossible
Seriously, if a dev wants to match people based on skill just make a proper ranked playlist with season rewards ffs.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017

This is the post that makes the rounds on reddit that I've posted here before, I disagree with some of it but it's a good overall post:

Prevents friends of different skill brackets from having an enjoyable experience whilst playing together.

• Literally ostracizes players on the extreme ends of the skill spectrum from the rest of their friends. Lowest players dont want to play with higher skill friends, highest skill player gets left out as to not ruin lower skilled friend's games.

• Causes issues with connections as higher skill players from low-pop areas have to connect further afield to find similar skill players.

• Allows players to reverse boost to dominate low-skill bracket games.

• Rewards players for doing badly, punishes players for doing well as it tries to balance. "Congrats on playing well for a few games! Enjoy 10-15 games of being stomped." • Promotes 'meta' choices like what we're seeing with the M4 / 725 / Claymore

• Promotes 'sweating' issues like what we're seeing with the prolific camping

• Stops players feeling like they are actually improving at the game

• Makes every game feel like it plays the same (mainly due to the 3 above issues)

• Doesn't even affect the highest skill solo players as the game has to match them with lower skilled players to fill their lobbies.

• Average player will likely never experience that one 'session making' game where they dominate and get all their streaks; just game after game of fighting to stay positive.

In *most* games I'm totally fine with SBMM. The dealbreakers in CoD for me specifically are:

-It fucks up groups that have players of wildly disparate levels. I had two friends buy the game who are....significantly worse than me, they got absolutely curbstomped playing with me across multiple sessions, they both sold their copies and I outright have told two other friends who were asking me if they should get it with the $38 BF deal to not get it because they'd be in a similar boat. YMMV on this one if you're a solo player of playing a similarly skilled group of course.

-Most games don't have a wide range of weapons with lots of levels and skins to unlock. You can go back and see posts from me in this thread where I spent like 2 weeks getting fucking railed 90% of the time because I wanted to hit max level (not camo) on the SCAR which is an awful fucking gun, but SBMM was matching me against people of a similar level using way better guns (aka M4s etc) so I lose encounters repeatedly that I would have won otherwise. Not a good time.

-CoD has a focus on killstreaks, and as a pretty average player it's even harder than it was before to get higher killstreaks. In earlier entries in an evening I'd get a couple AC-130s etc, not every game but just enough where it was something I could shoot for and get occasionally. In this game it's a struggle for me to even get a VTOL because if SBMM is working as intended, you're fighting people at about the same skill as you so getting 8+ kills a life is gonna be much harder than before.

The first two points are the biggest ones for me. And yes I know Ground War doesn't have SBMM, but that mode is garbage; tanks + CoD ttk + snipers not having to headshots to kill like BF just do not work in CoD IMO. Of course half of responses to anyone wanting SBMM to be loosening/removed is "you just want to pubstomp" acting like there's not a vast gulf between "every match being a struggle" and "going 40-0" soooooo. I also personally feel CoD is a more casual experience but that one's a fair debate on both sides.

It's actually kind of insane how good the gunplay is in this game that I even still entertain putting it back on considering the above, the community complaints, and some of the worst spawns and maps I've ever seen in a multiplayer game (Bridge + Picadilly are easy 2 of the top 3 worst multiplayer maps of all time). I've actually gone back to Battlefront 2 and having a better time there, and that game has crazy fucking issues (different issues mostly, but still massive issues).

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Worse connections, the more you prioritize skill the worse connections and matchmaking times will be
  2. Like you said, it's stressful. Not everyone wants to have to sweat their balls off whenever they play CoD, sometimes you just wanna jump into a few games and have fun, SBMM makes this impossible
Seriously, if a dev wants to match people based on skill just make a proper ranked playlist with season rewards ffs.

OK, I understand point 1, that is a valid concern. However with point 2 why can't you play casually now even with the try hards in the game? It seems that people are tying 'playing casually' with also doing well while playing casually. If the problem is that getting cooked while playing casually isn't fun then why would the developers intentionally loosen the system so that other players are now on the receiving end? If it's not fun for you then its probably not fun for the other people either...