• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I don't understand the skill-based matchmaking complaints regarding SBMM. You can't just be constantly in matches with people of a lower skill level. It will take some time to find out where you belong but if you were just dominating lower skilled players it wouldn't make it very fun for them would it? You'd also never get much better.
I'm going to keep responding to post/people like you. I'm not sure you understand what SBMM is.

No/toned downn SBMM does NOT mean being matched up with only people below your skill level. It does NOT mean "pub stomping" every game. It does NOT mean new players won't be protected.

Playing EXCLUSIVELY against people your own skill level in the higher bracket is not fun for those people and certainly not casual. And people in higher skilled brackets play competitive on a different platform i.e. GameBattles with eSport rules in order to get better.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017

They did copy R6s Problems too.

This is one of the issues I have noticed as well. It's insane to me. The mounting system plus this weird cone of vision thing can really screw with your head. You think you are barely visible, but then see on the kill cam that your are standing almost completely in the open. My friend and I were doing the same sort of testing.

Edit: I agree with the video about the view angle though and I can see how it makes sense in the real world, but especially with the mounting system, where you would lean, it seems broken somewhat.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So what are generally the best sniper scopes? For GW, not dumb close quarters quickscoping or whatever.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played with my brother for About five hours yesterday. Haven't done a multiplayer session like that in so long. I suck ass because I haven't played a shooter consistently in years. Really loving this game though.

I've been mostly using an m4, but i feel like it's a little weak. What gun other than the shotgun does everybody prefer?

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Any general thoughts about network stability for the PC edition's multiplayer? I often hear of GPU errors and crashes.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Any general thoughts about network stability for the PC edition's multiplayer? I often hear of GPU errors and crashes.

In my experience it has been working great. I had the GPU crashes when I was trying to record using nvidia's shadowplay, with highlight capturing also on, while tabbing in and out of the game...while also having desktop recording enabled. I reinstalled the drivers and turned off desktop recording and it works great. 980ti, windows 10, 4770K, 16GB ram.

I'm going to keep responding to post/people like you. I'm not sure you understand what SBMM is.

No/toned downn SBMM does NOT mean being matched up with only people below your skill level. It does NOT mean "pub stomping" every game. It does NOT mean new players won't be protected.

Playing EXCLUSIVELY against people your own skill level in the higher bracket is not fun for those people and certainly not casual. And people in higher skilled brackets play competitive on a different platform i.e. GameBattles with eSport rules in order to get better.

How exactly does not having (or toned down) SBMM protect new players?

I think what people are experiencing is being placed in a higher bracket than they should be as it tries to figure out your skill level. Given enough time it will likely put you in an appropriate position. They're still casual matches but you're just not playing against people who don't know how to aim and shoot at the same time.

I like to think of myself as a pretty decent CoD player, and my K/D is at 0.95 and W/L at 1.72. Now you can put this down to the general design of the game encouraging so much camping and I'm of the old school, so I'm constantly moving to different objectives and thus getting shot quite often from the million vantage points scattered about.

That's the biggest issue with this games map design, it was MADE FOR campers. Sooo many secure spots to just bunker down in until you get a good killstreak reward, so if the SBMM is matching me against decent players who pay enough attention to know what the current meta is, that makes the experience for someone like me utterly insufferable, and trust me there are plenty of "me"; old school CoD players who treated the game closer to an arena shooter rather than a "tactical" sit in this room until I get a match turning killstreak attitude that is infesting this game.

It turns a typical play session into a roller coaster of emotions. One minute you're in a match with like minded individuals and suddenly the game feels like CoD again, then the very next match (after you've been dumped back to the menu mind you. Lord forbid you actually want to stay with the players you've found) the experience is the complete opposite because you've just been dumped into a Picadilly match that is half over on the clock and well and truly over on the scoreboard.

Basically when it comes to SBMM, the negatives far outweigh the positives. It has to go.

I also like to run and gun but I don't think the maps were made for camping, even for the good bunker spots, there's a way to flank. Sometimes your team just doesn't push together or the right way and you get stomped. It happens in team games.
You can get one over on the camper, you just need to figure out the best way to go about it. It's still early, there are so many sight lines that you may not be accustomed to yet. They have the mounting mechanic to peek walls more carefully as you move from place to place. You can sprint into a slide down stairs and around corners shooting your enemy from below. Lots of verticality in the maps too.
It's never going to be perfect but the maps and mechanics are pretty good for rushing too.

Sometimes the respawns don't rotate enough, like on piccadilly, that's fair. I've had those games.

You say one game is all good fun and the next game is a campfest. You have to adapt to the circumstance. It's not a pure arena shooter and different people will have different playstyles. I don't see how SBMM is to blame for that.

Everyone is also assuming a high KD ratio is how it determines skill level but it may be points per minute.

You have millions of players, they need to be in appropriate skill levels so everyone has a reasonable chance of having fun. You first buy the game and go on a killing spree vs noobs, ruining their games, it's going to try to put you in a match with other people that have done the same. Some of those players are much better. Eventually you'll be in a spot that's suitable. It might just take some time to figure out where.

Really it's a good thing and it works both ways as the higher skilled players won't be in your games either. Eventually. It will just take time to sort the people out and it's still pretty early.

Last edited:

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

The biggest problems I've encountered on PC are server side, in particular terrible netcode more often than I'd like and the challenges progress not being recorded. The game also has an extremely annoying habit of changing its own CPU priority which makes most things unstable.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Played with my brother for About five hours yesterday. Haven't done a multiplayer session like that in so long. I suck ass because I haven't played a shooter consistently in years. Really loving this game though.

I've been mostly using an m4, but i feel like it's a little weak. What gun other than the shotgun does everybody prefer?

Lmao M4 is the strongest gun by a mile.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're a super elite player, your queue times will be longer. Seems like you've figured it out!

Though a 1 minute queue time sounds about right to me.

No That's unacceptable especially when it just dumps me in games in progress. You can't stay for the next game because it will find a new lobby anyways. So it's waiting 1 minute to be dumped into a game on the team getting smashed rinse and repeat.

also if I want strong skill based matching I'll play a ranked playlist that actually rewards me with leveling my rank.

this matchmaking sucks and it's protecting bad players at the expensive of the hardcore fans. So this game will be dead "for cod" in a few months at this pace.

Hopefully this games backlash is a lesson learned that designing the game for bad players with no skill gap and random maps is not the right direction to go in.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
How does not having (or toned down) SBMM protect new players?
This would be the case for the toned down version. I would be against having NO SBMM at all. I would want at a MINIMUM that the lowest 10-15% of players would have their own skill bracket.

Just for reference I feel the current SBMM resembles matchmaking of a ranked gamemode, minus the visible leagues.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

I haven't played since the patch released on Friday, but I can tell you that the patch before that introduced some pretty wicked GPU memory leaks, at least on my system. After like 3 or 4 games the VRAM usage on my 2080ti would be using all 11gb and the FPS would drop into the teens. Closing the game and restarting it would be a temp fix.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

The M4 feels weak? Outside the 725 it's widely considered to be the best gun hy a mile. Might wanna play around with attachments a bit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No That's unacceptable especially when it just dumps me in games in progress. You can't stay for the next game because it will find a new lobby anyways. So it's waiting 1 minute to be dumped into a game on the team getting smashed rinse and repeat.

also if I want strong skill based matching I'll play a ranked playlist that actually rewards me with leveling my rank.

this matchmaking sucks and it's protecting bad players at the expensive of the hardcore fans. So this game will be dead "for cod" in a few months at this pace.

Hopefully this games backlash is a lesson learned that designing the game for bad players with no skill gap and random maps is not the right direction to go in.
How is it "protecting bad players"? By making sure they don't get shit stomped by people who are better at the game?

Get out of here with that. That's ridiculous.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The PKM is an absolute beast. The damage it does is incredible and has very little recoil. Combine this with the large magazine and it's fantastic. It beats every gun at medium and long range in my opinion. The only drawback is the ADS speed, but with the right attachments you can get it pretty close to an AR.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
All my guns just say level 1 now but I still have all my attachments and they level up as normal. How do I get it back to normal though?

I've pretty much been only using my about max level Model 860. It's got the FSS Suppressor, 30.0" barrel and no stock. A bit top heavy but everything to increase range/tighten pellet spread and then I use other slots to reduce ADS and Sprint to Fire times. As long as you ADS, the one-shot kill range is ridiculous. And with the longer barrel it has a 10-round magazine meaning that I can clear out an entire team or objective. Suck it 725 and your two rounds.

I really love the customization options in this game. The Gunsmith is awesome.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I only started playing post patch, it doesn't feel like it to me after the slight nerf. Maybe I just suck tho. Might try the MP5 seems a lot of people like it.
It depends on your attachments. People saying the M4A1 outclasses every other gun by a mile are incorrect.

It is however by faaaar the most used AR in the game. The kilo is a viable replacement yet overall just not as good.

If you want to kill faster I would suggest the Oden or the AK. But keep in mind with the recoil you could still be outgunned by the M4A1.

SMGs have 3 viable options, the MP7, MP5 and Bizon. Bizon has virtually no recoil but lacks damage.
MP7 is a great great smg especially for long ranges
MP5 is better at close range than the MP7
If you can master the MP5s recoil; take that over the MP7

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's nice that you FINALLY start unlocking sensible and fun challenges that all actually progress simultaneously when you start getting officer levels. They still only give you exp, which is doubly useless after the first 55 levels, but it's nice to have something to grind lol.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The M4A1 is definitely the best gun that isn't the 725.

However the more it's needed the better the Kilo becomes as an option. It's currently my go to for my "actually trying" class. I have it decked out with the 50 round mag and an ACOG with FMJ. By far my best weapon at the moment.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
or perhaps the matchmaking is fucking garbage my nat type is fucking fine. I have my ports forwarded, gigabit internet and a $500 router I know how to setup my network.

don't give me that condescending forward your ports bullshit. I know how to setup my network thanks.

I have a nighthawk and can see every server location I connect to and it's ping.

You are probably just matching into the kiddy pool.

Tru gAmEr talk right here

jesus

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Euphrates Bridge is legit the worst multiplayer map I have ever seen in my life in any game.
Piccadilly says hello. ;)

I don't know which is worse though.

The M4A1 is definitely the best gun that isn't the 725.

However the more it's needed the better the Kilo becomes as an option. It's currently my go to for my "actually trying" class. I have it decked out with the 50 round mag and an ACOG with FMJ. By far my best weapon at the moment.
Kilo has more recoil?

I'm using the MP5 now and liking it. Just got tired with the M4.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

I don't like games in progress either, I don't usually get them but it sounds like maybe matchmaking isn't working as well for you.

Really, I think in a few months (hopefully not that long) it will actually be even better as the players that are of a higher skill level (they always exist) will have been placed in their appropriate SBBM rating as it sorts people out more accurately and won't be in your games as much as they are in this early stage.

At the start it's going to be less accurate with sorting peoples skill level. And it should apply to both casual and hardcore. The people in your skill level won't play as hardcore in casual. It just needs to put the right people in, which it's still figuring out. And that can be frustrating, sure. The more you play, the better it will be imo.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played since the patch released on Friday, but I can tell you that the patch before that introduced some pretty wicked GPU memory leaks, at least on my system. After like 3 or 4 games the VRAM usage on my 2080ti would be using all 11gb and the FPS would drop into the teens. Closing the game and restarting it would be a temp fix.

I played last night with me being on PC, and 3 other friends on Xbox. I have a 2080ti as well, and everything was fine. No dips like you've mentioned or crazy VRAM usage.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
or perhaps the matchmaking is fucking garbage my nat type is fucking fine. I have my ports forwarded, gigabit internet and a $500 router I know how to setup my network.

don't give me that condescending forward your ports bullshit. I know how to setup my network thanks.

I have a nighthawk and can see every server location I connect to and it's ping.

You are probably just matching into the kiddy pool.
If you got a Nighthawk for $500 in a regular household you got ripped off LMAO.

Playing in the networking kiddy pool..

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How is it "protecting bad players"? By making sure they don't get shit stomped by people who are better at the game?

Get out of here with that. That's ridiculous.

the Games whole design philosophy is to shelter new/bad players so they stay and buy shit. That's straight from the devs mouths the video has been posted a million times in this thread.

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you got a Nighthawk for $500 in a regular household you got ripped off LMAO.

Playing in the networking kiddy pool..

lmao what a stupid fucking comment

xr700 google it sorry I have expendable income and want top of the line equipment. It's the best router with netduma OS.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I think what people are experiencing is being placed in a higher bracket than they should be as it tries to figure out your skill level. Given enough time it will likely put you in an appropriate position. They're still casual matches but you're just not playing against people who don't know how to aim and shoot at the same time.

I think you misunderstand. I'm exactly where I'm suppose to be regarding skill bracket. I'm having no problem getting around 1.00 k/d. Or doing fine. It's just I have to concentrate on my screen like I'm playing a competitive match. Jumpshotting every corner, dropshotting. This is not a mindset you get into beforehand or you just turn off. When playing against those people you automatically do it yourself aswell.

The games are fine but really really competitive and not casual. These games would be fine in a ranked mode.

I however can't play with a pistol with an oil can attachment for example. Doing so would result in getting 0 kills and 30 deaths. And that's just a horrible experience. Keep in mind a few games of this would be fine but it's like this constantly.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I have a high KD and a pretty good spm, if I don't go full try hard then I get annihilated everytime. There's usually multiple level 155s on the other team every single game.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most frustrating thing in this game is I literally feel like my fov is just too narrow with everyone in corners. I've never experienced it to this level before.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well just got Tactical Nuked in Ground War. We were winning too. I assume it was the guy who had 59 kills and 5 deaths.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly sounds like people want to pub stomp when they try their hardest or break even when they are not. If you are breaking even when trying hard, is that not a sign of good match making? And why would you perform the same when not trying hard, again sounds like good match making. I think people correctly pointed out, if not appropriately applying, the concept that this game people perform closer to 1.0 or just worse than other cod games. It is somewhat designed that way that you cannot just be super crazy on the KDR and I do not doubt that design is a significant cause of frustration even for a moment. The camping/map design is frustrating. But, if you are not adjusting your performance expectations you are setting yourself up for frustration on top of all that. I personally do not care about my kdr/wr. But I understand that SBMM is needed.

Most frustrating thing in this game is I literally feel like my fov is just too narrow with everyone in corners. I've never experienced it to this level before.

Still no FOV slider for console?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
For people to be able to play mindlessly and still do well, they need to be placed against lower skill players.

If you don't want to have to think too much, keep playing your way (don't try hard) and after 10 games or so I imagine you'll be closer to where you want to be.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Piccadilly says hello. ;)

I don't know which is worse though.

Kilo has more recoil?

I'm using the MP5 now and liking it. Just got tired with the M4.
Yeah the kilo has more recoil than the M4 but once you start getting some attachments and get used to it the Kilo becomes a monster.
the Games whole design philosophy is to shelter new/bad players so they stay and buy shit. That's straight from the devs mouths the video has been posted a million times in this thread.
And thats a good thing. SBMM is a good thing. New players or bad players should not be treated as sacrificial lambs used to make the top tier players happy by allowing to shit all over them all the time.

There should never be a situation where a new player is in the same lobby as a top tier player. Not just in this game, but in any game.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
The death cam/'being able to view the map' issue started popping up after that first big update. Before that, it would send me straight to the death cam, and then to my teammate. Now it's a coin toss whether I'm able to see the rest of the map, or locked to my own teammate (as it should be) after a death. It has to be a bug - since it spoils the positional play big time. Hope they fix it soon.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how exactly the VOIP between teams work. In Gunfight, sometimes I can hear the guy for a second or two after I kill him, other times between round swaps for a few brief seconds, and sometimes only at the end of the match. And my teammate sometimes hears another player chatting when I can't and vice versa.

Ya right? The VOIP is wildly inconsistent since the big patch. I will say though, after every single death I can do that death cam view thing in Gunfight. Does feel like a bug, I hope they get rid of it.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're quite correct, that's not what SBMM is, but people moaning about it (based from Reddit NOT HERE) is that people want to dominate people and get 100+ kill games getting all streaks and dominating players, that's fun to these players, not going tooth and nail to grind out a win, they don't enjoy that, they want crap players to smash so they can boast how they get nukes every games.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
You're quite correct, that's not what SBMM is, but people moaning about it (based from Reddit NOT HERE) is that people want to dominate people and get 100+ kill games getting all streaks and dominating players, that's fun to these players, not going tooth and nail to grind out a win, they don't enjoy that, they want crap players to smash so they can boast how they get nukes every games.

The feel I'm getting as well.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of nerfing everything why not add a playlist called MW2 and just buff everything to hell and back and remove most if not all recoil ? 🤪👌🤠🥳
Bring back the ACR

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao my win loss ration is like .48 cause I quit as I get into a game that's already started. 99% I'm put on the losing team.