• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Just unlocked the the short barrel for the AK so now I can relive my glory days from COD4 and BO with the AKS-74U.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with your point A. However point B is just wrong. How can you know that? At least how can you know that for this Call of Duty? All the "evidence" hint towards a VERY strong SBMM which evens priorities SBMM over connection. Keep in mind I feel this is true when basing it off my own experience.

I can't speak for everyone but I want a slightly toned down version of SBMM, cause I'm playing EXCLUSIVELY against Adderall pill popping cat-like reflex having teens. I have improved drastically even when I thought I hit my ceiling a long time ago, however I've been sweating my ass off in doing so. I just wanted to play the game casually though.

Also: no I do not want to "pub stomp" every game. No removing/toning down SBMM does NOT mean 1 god will play vs 6 noobs. People even saying stuff like pub stomping every game do not know what SBMM is and what it does.

in order to pub stomp every game you actually need to have a SBMM in place but set to do the complete opposite of the current one
I have no issue with your post. My issue is with how the cod community demonizes sbmm. There is a reason it exists. And that's because the people worse than you have the same issue you are having. They get thrown into random lobbies with people way better than them. Get crushed and frustrated. And stop playing. If somebody wants a nuanced discussion on the issue. I'm cool with it. But I rarely see that nuance coming from any of the vocal cod community. It's always SBMM is the devil! Just throw the first people in. Always type of arguments. And I must say this. They say it in every single cod title. No matter this year or 5 or 6 years back. It's been constant. Bad players want to play the game casually too. Or as casual as they can.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with your post. My issue is with how the cod community demonizes sbmm. There is a reason it exists. And that's because the people worse than you have the same issue you are having. They get thrown into random lobbies with people way better than them. Get crushed and frustrated. And stop playing. If somebody wants a nuanced discussion on the issue. I'm cool with it. But I rarely see that nuance coming from any of the vocal cod community. It's always SBMM is the devil! Just throw the first people in. Always type of arguments. And I must say this. They say it in every single cod title. No matter this year or 5 or 6 years back. It's been constant. Bad players want to play the game casually too. Or as casual as they can.

In theory, a well-made SBMM would make the game better. I very much enjoyed when Black Ops 3 briefly brought it, and I'm a good player that does, in fact, stomp players rather often. MW2019's way of doing it is weak for many reasons already discussed: it only counts the host so in case of a group it completely screws up if you play as a group. It also doesn't work well because I constantly get paired with absolute trash-tier players and MLG godlike dudes too. Something's off about it for sure.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, folks saying "stop crying and get good/adapt" are TOTALLY MISSING THE POINT in that it's not a question of adapting, it's a question of this game has a very different meta than pretty much almost every other CoD for the last 10 years and that's what folks were expecting. To use the food analogy above, I bought this expecting McDonalds and I got Subway. I do perfectly fine playing the way the game wants me to, but this isn't the game I wanted or expected. The absolute lack of critical thinking being applied to comments like "they're complaining so they must be doing bad, I'll just let them know to get good!" is appalling and more childish then anything else being thrown about.

Separate note: SBMM fundamentally breaks in groups of different skill levels. I had two friends from a group I used to play with every day on 360 that I hadn't gamed with in years because this gen I went PS4 and they went X1. Both of these friends are....not very good, and never have been. Which is fine, because CoD has typically been a fuck around game for us. When I am the party lead, my friends are getting absolutely fucking hammered, like 2-20 type shit; they're both level ~35ish and have been playing CoD and other shooters for years, so they understand the fundamentals and this isn't their first shooter or whatever. When either of THEM is the party lead they're breaking even or better and I'm having the best games of my life. I went 38-1 using nothing but a deagle (for a challenge) one game. It's actually stupid, and the disparity between the opponents in those matches is night and day from what I get in my solo games, it felt like I was fighting the bots in Fortnite. So now I can't play with my friends without it either being an abysmal experience for them, or me just crushing lobbies on their end (and I'm an overall average player at best, that's how bad these people are). I mostly wrote off people complaining about SBMM up until last night, but now I 100% believe it.

I think I may be out until they at the very least fix challenge progression stuff. Across 3 games I got 11 kills with the shield turret (which was a goddamn nightmare, holy shit that killstreak is bad), my mission progression for it (and I made sure mission was active) went from 2 to 6 to 0 which resetting hasn't fixed, and on the officer challenge for it (which is to get 40) it never budged from 0. So....that's great.

Maybe, after going to McDonald's for ten years straight, one subway sandwich isn't too bad an idea. Maybe even better for your diet not only eating double fried beef and fries but a light sandwich in between.

Then again, who are they to decide what you have for dinner. Not like they've been cooking it for the past couple of years.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
In theory, a well-made SBMM would make the game better.

No matter how well designed I feel a large part of the community doesn't want to play competitive fun games. They want to stomp. Because let's face it. COD is designed to be fun when you stomp and not fun at all when you are getting stomped or having to overly work for it. But yeah if there is a bug around group based sbmm, it should addressed and fixed. But it definitely should be there. One of my least favorite things in cod was being put against group stacks as a solo player. Groups should face groups. Another form of sbmm.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I explained in great detail what I don't like about the game, I even have a lengthy review on the website I write for. If you want to dismiss my criticisms as being a crybaby, go ahead, nobody's stopping you. I gladly discuss things if you have anything meaningful to say however.

Never said the game doesn't have issues. Never said I disagreed with whatever you had said about it. Can you send me a link to your review?

I'm actually dumbfounded by this sentence. What absolute childish tripe some of y'all resort to when others are critical of your baby.

There are plenty of issues in the game. Never said there isn't. Lmfao is more childish than throwing up your hands and huffing and puffing as you say your going to uninstall it?

Wow! We have Mr. McDoody here. Lay down your knowledge, brah! Show me raw gameplay footage of you playing solo (no squads even one squadmate), not camping, rushing and doing well. Show us how tactical you are and how great you are.

You do know that people who play and buy this game are expecting a Call of Duty experience, right? It's like people going to McDonald's and you chastizing them for hating it cause it tastes like cake.

NO ONE asked for these changes. The community at large wanted boots on the ground and that's it. Thankfully, Infinity Ward seems to be moving away from the "tactical" meta you seem to be harpiing on about so the "crybabies" can enjoy their game.

Yes, there are people who have positive KD and WL stats that don't like the game.

What the hell is this? I never said I was an amazing call of duty player? If you want raw footage of people rushing and crushing, just search youtube.

IW has talked for months up to release about what they were bringing. The changes to a more realistic and tactical CoD were one of many things discussed. You seem to just want more of the same so it's a good thing that Black Ops 3 and 4 exist for you.

All I am saying that a lot of complaints center around things that can be worked out with the tools they provided. I wasn't cornering anything on a "tactical meta" either. Does this CoD require more brains than usual, sure. Can you still run around the map bunny hopping, spraying and praying? Yes. With the right class setup and map knowledge.(which I am not the guy for)

Issues I want change/resolved:

Fix the Spawn flip to help curtail trapping

Remove the 725 and rework it completely. Something more like the Drilling in BF 5 would be better.

Make Claymores and Betties exempt from the shrapnel perk

Increase the speed of lock on Rockets and increase their damage to vehicles and streaks

Add spawn protection from streaks

I would love to have Ground War without Streaks that kill or with somehow way fewer streaks.

I also thing the points need to be spread out more and the capture zones should be made similar to BFs

And lastly, I have been plenty frustrated at this game. I have rage quit and was considering a refund in the beginning because of the X shutdown issue I was having. I am continually swearing at the 725 users, but other things have been gradually evening out for me. I still run into matches where my team is murdered or spawn trapped to oblivion. The map design for some maps is really annoying and Ground War is a clusterfuck most times. Many other small things frustrate me, but the "boots on the ground" combat and the visceral feel of the guns keeps me playing. I am not even good at the game with only a few 20-10 type games to show for my 60 hours of time, but I am still loving it.

Wishlist item:

4 v 4 Gunfight please.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the last update it is taking too long to find matches. And now they are mixing on lobbies mouse and gamepad. Don't know what is going on

yep, I noticed this too! I was on Xbox with crossplay off and I was in a lobby with a guy using m/kB on Xbox, so it's clearly not just input based now. I hope it's a glitch and not dwindling player numbers meaning combined pools.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how well designed I feel a large part of the community doesn't want to play competitive fun games. They want to stomp. Because let's face it. COD is designed to be fun when you stomp and not fun at all when you are getting stomped or having to overly work for it. But yeah if there is a bug around group based sbmm, it should addressed and fixed. But it definitely should be there. One of my least favorite things in cod was being put against group stacks as a solo player. Groups should face groups. Another form of sbmm.

I agree with you. The annual backlash against the idea of SBMM is tiring because, in theory, it could make the game better. It briefly made BO3 better in fact. It's this SBMM that sucks, lol.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of issues in the game. Never said there isn't. Lmfao is more childish than throwing up your hands and huffing and puffing as you say your going to uninstall it?

Yeah dude, insulting others is absolutely way more childish than being so done with a game that you decide to vent one last time and say you'll uninstall it, like what the fuck. Think for a second.

e: in case you decide to be obtuse on purpose, the latter sentence of my post was in response to the whole post. I was dumbfounded cause being so bothered about people saying they're uninstalling the game was just so immensely weird to me, though seeing that you're living in some sort of a imaginary fantasy world what with all the talk about huffing and puffing and other things that never even got close to happening, I guess I can see what's happening.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
In theory, a well-made SBMM would make the game better. I very much enjoyed when Black Ops 3 briefly brought it, and I'm a good player that does, in fact, stomp players rather often. MW2019's way of doing it is weak for many reasons already discussed: it only counts the host so in case of a group it completely screws up if you play as a group. It also doesn't work well because I constantly get paired with absolute trash-tier players and MLG godlike dudes too. Something's off about it for sure.
In theory, a well-made SBMM would make the game better if it was in a dedicated Ranked Mode. I don't always want to be forced to put on my sweatpants, if I want to play against people of similar skill I should be able to do so in a ranked mode.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In theory, a well-made SBMM would make the game better if it was in a dedicated Ranked Mode. I don't always want to be forced to put on my sweatpants, if I want to play against people of similar skill I should be able to do so in a ranked mode.

Yeah, nothing against this. I think SBMM should be one of the variables that is used to make a good lobby. Connections, playstyle, stats, skills, all should combine to give you a favourable experience. This wouldn't mean you can't get stomped, but you probably wouldn't be pitted against a player like Shroud if this is your first attempt at a first person shooter. But having an SMBB-only system where, however, only the host's level is counted so it's easy as hell to exploit? Bad idea.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CoD should have a league play playlist like Black Ops did that has full ranking and the casual normal MP should just be random based on ping solely and that's it

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I partially agree with this. Even if you seperate public matches and ranked matches, you should still have some sort of SBMM in place for public matches; at MINIMUM the lowest 15-20% of the people should be in a seperate bracket.

But at the moment it feels like the current SBMM is a full on ranked mode SBMM minus the visible leagues. It's horrendous atm.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a HQ game end 0-144 on Shoot House. I also just had a KC game where my team's BEST player got less kills and points than the other team's WORST player. This team balancing is a fucking joke, for real.

Yeah, I've always had this stance, more or less - ranked playlists with strong SBMM for the serious players, casual playlists with very loose SBMM (think one bracket for complete newbies, disabled people, others who just aren't very good with games like your dear grandpa or something, and one bracket for pretty much the rest) for the not-so-serious players.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that you cant talk to the other team between gunfight rounds anymore.

does anyone know if the death cam thing where you can view the map after you die, before spectating your teammate is a glitch or intended?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had a HQ game end 0-144 on Shoot House. I also just had a KC game where my team's BEST player got less kills and points than the other team's WORST player. This team balancing is a fucking joke, for real.

Yeah, I've always had this stance, more or less - ranked playlists with strong SBMM for the serious players, casual playlists with very loose SBMM (think one bracket for complete newbies, disabled people, others who just aren't very good with games like your dear grandpa or something, and one bracket for pretty much the rest) for the not-so-serious players.

I'd tweak that a bit, by having eg. bottom 25%, 26%-50%, 51%-75% and 76%-100% skill levels, you get to play with your own group and the groups surrounding it. So the bottom barrel only gets up to the average player, no Shroud and such. Likewise, the top tier players do get down to the average player but aren't allowed to stomp 8-years old Jimmy on his first ever console playing COD for the first time. And the game should be transparent about this by not just showing your K/D but telling you the average level of players you've been getting to build it. The people who get 4.5 KDRs in every game because they lobbyhop as soon as they realize the opponents aren't trash mean nothing to me, their apparent skill indicator is gravely altered by the game's total lack of consideration for balancing lobbies. But a heavy-handed SBMM like now is not ideal either.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked the stupid pointman perk

seriously sucks this was such a high unlock. Its a great perk

I feel the same about Thermite. Such a great lethal, almost never see it. Only thing that sucks is that it can be finnicky with line of sight, e.g., you can land it on the antenna box of an HQ and it won't hurt someone standing on the other side of the antenna, despite apparently being so hot that it ignites the clothes of anyone around it.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
I gave the game another few sessions this weekend. The updates help, but the multiplayer is still very slow and boring. Head to head encounters where people are moving around I'm doing fine, but 80% of the time I feel like my deaths are from some guy blended into some shadowy corner aiming down a main line of sight. Shoot House is the only decent map I've played so far and still people decide to head glitch in their spawns.

Picadilly spawn traps are absurd. My friend and I had the entire team spawning near the garage area for half the match maybe a car length distance between us and their spawn.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah dude, insulting others is absolutely way more childish than being so done with a game that you decide to vent one last time and say you'll uninstall it, like what the fuck. Think for a second.

e: in case you decide to be obtuse on purpose, the latter sentence of my post was in response to the whole post. I was dumbfounded cause being so bothered about people saying they're uninstalling the game was just so immensely weird to me, though seeing that you're living in some sort of a imaginary fantasy world what with all the talk about huffing and puffing and other things that never even got close to happening, I guess I can see what's happening.

Alright. Apologies to any who were offended. I was generalizing and also being a bit hypocritical and after rereading my post, it was a bit of an insult too.
Hell I am thinking back and I may have threatened to uninstall it when it was crashing my Xbox...

Backing out and rethinking.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Had a nice 70-5 Karst game earlier, just been working on officer challenges really. Realized I hadn't clipped a single thing from this game yet so here's a couple from that game - in case anyone is interested.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Separate note: SBMM fundamentally breaks in groups of different skill levels. I had two friends from a group I used to play with every day on 360 that I hadn't gamed with in years because this gen I went PS4 and they went X1. Both of these friends are....not very good, and never have been. Which is fine, because CoD has typically been a fuck around game for us. When I am the party lead, my friends are getting absolutely fucking hammered, like 2-20 type shit; they're both level ~35ish and have been playing CoD and other shooters for years, so they understand the fundamentals and this isn't their first shooter or whatever. When either of THEM is the party lead they're breaking even or better and I'm having the best games of my life. I went 38-1 using nothing but a deagle (for a challenge) one game. It's actually stupid, and the disparity between the opponents in those matches is night and day from what I get in my solo games, it felt like I was fighting the bots in Fortnite. So now I can't play with my friends without it either being an abysmal experience for them, or me just crushing lobbies on their end (and I'm an overall average player at best, that's how bad these people are). I mostly wrote off people complaining about SBMM up until last night, but now I 100% believe it.
I've had a similar experience with one of my friends who isn't very good. We've played COD together for years and he is not having fun at all when we play together. He shouldn't have to play by himself to have a fighting chance. SBMM needs to be removed. Have a matchmaking group for people below level 20 or something and leave it at that.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Seriously where are the cod servers located? I'm lucky if I have a ping less than 600.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Yup, unplayable again after the latest patch, crashing was fixed in the previous patch for me but returned in the recent one, welp, no playing for me until next patch.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Alright. Apologies to any who were offended. I was generalizing and also being a bit hypocritical and after rereading my post, it was a bit of an insult too.
Hell I am thinking back and I may have threatened to uninstall it when it was crashing my Xbox...

Backing out and rethinking.

Cool, that's a good response! Appreciate it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's probably lag/CoD networking but I seem to find myself shooting people, thinking there was enough bullets to kill them because I hear the hit markers and then I stop shooting. It's really weird.

Also, why does the ammo crate take go damn long to equip, open the lid, check to make sure you have all your bullets in a neat row, throw them slowly to the ground, press X to use and then get shot. The amount of times I throw it down and mid throw someone appears and kills me. Or you manage to throw it down and do the dumbass looking at your feet thing that basically means your dead.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Had a nice 70-5 Karst game earlier, just been working on officer challenges really. Realized I hadn't clipped a single thing from this game yet so here's a couple from that game - in case anyone is interested.

giphy.gif

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DID I JUST LOSE MY SAVE?

I started the game this morning and have been playing straight through. I was doing a mission pretty deep into the game (the second flashback) and someone tripped over the power cable and my PS4 turned off. Now when I go to the campaign option in the main menu it just says 'start campaign'. How do I load from my last spot??

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
DID I JUST LOSE MY SAVE?

I started the game this morning and have been playing straight through. I was doing a mission pretty deep into the game (the second flashback) and someone tripped over the power cable and my PS4 turned off. Now when I go to the campaign option in the main menu it just says 'start campaign'. How do I load from my last spot??

On Xbox you press "Y" To resume campaign

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DID I JUST LOSE MY SAVE?

Same thing happened to me, had a powercut 3 hours in and I lost the save. Its shit I started it again right after and ended up putting 9 hours in the game in one day as I wanted to finish it that day.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
After being annoyed at that damn green unlock icon being stuck on for like 50 levels because I used a gun I hadn't unlocked, my shotgun is glitched with a green unlock icon for an attachment that doesn't exist...