• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, uninstalled this game. I like what it does with the movement and the aesthetics, but it's just mindboggling to me that the only way to do well is a completely passive playstyle. Camp a building, place claymores or bouncing betties, get your OP one shot shotty ready, soundwhore, then rack up those easy kills from unsuspecting people whose footsteps can be heard 3 miles away. Do it enough and you're rewarded with killstreaks getting you a dozen kills each.

I played them all. FFA, DOM, TDM, KC, it does not matter what you pick: the moment you leave a building you'll be aimed at and killed in a thousandth of a second by a camper. The moment you enter a building you don't even know where to look or preaim: traps, a lot of camping spots, you just can't predict them all and you die. The only possibility is get a power position and holding it until physically possible. If you leave for a moment, you're vulnerable and you have no chance to fight back with this TTK and weapon balance. And with the maps being this poor and the spawns being broken, you'll be in these situations a lot.

I tried all kinds of styles and it's a disaster for me. The only chance to do well, rack up kills, go for heavy killstreaks is just be as passive as possible, ignoring the flow or style of Call Of Duty games. And this isn't tactical at all, it's just campy. Siege is tactical. SWAT is tactical. Arma is tactical. PUBG is tactical. This is just an arena shooter where you can't move because campers will get you the second you do. It's sloppy, unbalanced, unrewarding. Unrewarding when you get 10 kills because it just means you shot first, unrewarding when you die because 99% you had no chance or time to fight back. Capturing power positions and defending them is the entire game, and it is not fun to me.

Best of luck to those who are willing to persist, in the hope that the game will eventually fix its horrible maps, spawns, weapon balance or whatnot. I don't think they'll ever be able to do so because the core is simply based on wrong philosophies. No other COD this decade felt this unbalanced, and I have no interest in regressing my playstyle to camping 24/7 to be good at it. Because I can absolutely do that and win, but there is no fun in it. I started playing some BO4 again, reinstalled BO3, probably gonna play some WWII and the others as well these days. I'm all in for Call Of Duty this November, but this ain't it chief.

The campaign was great, I gotta give 'em that. Good thing they managed to nail that at least, because none of the other modes are good enough for a Call Of Duty. Even ignoring Spec Ops where I feel like we're beating a dead horse, this multiplayer experience is the poorest the franchise has been this decade. With their intent to cater to people who don't play Call Of Duty and can't play Call Of Duty well they alienated the people who play the game well and like what it's about. This is nowhere near a Call Of Duty experience, and given how their almighty 725/claymore/footstep nerf amounted to literally no change, it seems clear to me IW will pretend to listen to the community while keeping the things in that people hate.

It's okay, I have other things to play. Back to the old CoDs we go, hoping that Treyarch somehow managed to do a good game dsespite the short development, the new engine and the cross-gen launch. It's gonna be hard, but I'd be surprised if their multiplayer was worse than this.
OK bye

Best CoD in years

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing just how many people in public matches don't seem to be concerned with the enemy team putting up at UAV. Letting the other team see where you are on the map is a huge thing, and yet I'm usually the only person on my team shooting them down.
Dude everyone is running Ghost.

They need to seriously rebalance the game's perks

ghost does too much. All other tier 2 variety is killed because of it

High alert does too little

Pointman competes with hardline when before u could have them both

Overkill is too good and cold blooded is useless

theres no perk to counter tracker or fall damage

a lot of perks just feel too underwhelming while a few do too much

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It's amazing just how many people in public matches don't seem to be concerned with the enemy team putting up at UAV. Letting the other team see where you are on the map is a huge thing, and yet I'm usually the only person on my team shooting them down.

I would be shooting them down a lot more often if the JOKR missile wasn't so fucking slow to reach its target. When somebody else beats me to it because of that and I miss out on the XP, it's good that the UAV is gone sure, but now I was just staring at the sky for no reason for precious time that I can't afford just to watch my projectile travel to the next suburb before it decides to hit its target and never even make it.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Lmfao at those uninstalling it because they refuse to adapt at all to the newer styles. The game gives you all the tools to fight any sort of situation save for Spawn traps without the system flipping them.

there are tools to deal with campers, claymores, betties, UAVs, movement speed, mild spawn traps, kill streaks etc...You can run and gun like crazy in this game with the right setup. You can camp, you can range or lone wolf...you just have to put the time into your class setups for different situations and not expect to go 25-1 every game.

Some people always cries like babies for CoD to be different and then bitch like teenagers when it actually changes.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao at those uninstalling it because they refuse to adapt at all to the newer styles. The game gives you all the tools to fight any sort of situation save for Spawn traps without the system flipping them.

there are tools to deal with campers, claymores, betties, UAVs, movement speed, mild spawn traps, kill streaks etc...You can run and gun like crazy in this game with the right setup. You can camp, you can range or lone wolf...you just have to put the time into your class setups for different situations and not expect to go 25-1 every game.

Some people always cries like babies for CoD to be different and then bitch like teenagers when it actually changes.

I explained in great detail what I don't like about the game, I even have a lengthy review on the website I write for. If you want to dismiss my criticisms as being a crybaby, go ahead, nobody's stopping you. I gladly discuss things if you have anything meaningful to say however.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Which is good because it forces you improve yourself.

I agree, I'm not mad my stats aren't artificially padded, I just have had to adjust and try harder in a lot of occasions. Yesterday, I did have a bad run of games where I was getting dominated most matches, so it was a bit frustrated to go a few games in a row where I felt like things weren't going great. I ultimately don't care about stats, I just want to have fun.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Lmfao at those uninstalling it because they refuse to adapt at all to the newer styles.

I'm actually dumbfounded by this sentence. What absolute childish tripe some of y'all resort to when others are critical of your baby.

Which is good because it forces you improve yourself.

Not everyone is looking to get good in the game and appreciate the randomness of a more toned down SBMM system. I still think good team balancing is much more important than a strong SBMM, though teams are often far from balanced in this game.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not everyone is looking to get good in the game and appreciate the randomness of a more toned down SBMM system. I still think good team balancing is much more important than a strong SBMM, though teams are often far from balanced in this game.

Yeah I understand lol but I find it better overall than level based matchmaking. Level doesn't mean nothing.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
If I got a dollar for all the "adapt" and "play tactical" type posts, I might be able to fund Flint's water crisis.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own the game and probably would have quite a few issues with it if I did but the constant cod whining about sbmm in every single title is the silliest thing ever imo. Makes me hate the cod community even more. Not a personal attack at anyone. Just at the general notion.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
For the love of God, nerf the fucking 925. I'm still getting one shotted from half way across the goddamn map.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Low effort post
Okay, uninstalled this game. I like what it does with the movement and the aesthetics, but it's just mindboggling to me that the only way to do well is a completely passive playstyle. Camp a building, place claymores or bouncing betties, get your OP one shot shotty ready, soundwhore, then rack up those easy kills from unsuspecting people whose footsteps can be heard 3 miles away. Do it enough and you're rewarded with killstreaks getting you a dozen kills each.

I played them all. FFA, DOM, TDM, KC, it does not matter what you pick: the moment you leave a building you'll be aimed at and killed in a thousandth of a second by a camper. The moment you enter a building you don't even know where to look or preaim: traps, a lot of camping spots, you just can't predict them all and you die. The only possibility is get a power position and holding it until physically possible. If you leave for a moment, you're vulnerable and you have no chance to fight back with this TTK and weapon balance. And with the maps being this poor and the spawns being broken, you'll be in these situations a lot.

I tried all kinds of styles and it's a disaster for me. The only chance to do well, rack up kills, go for heavy killstreaks is just be as passive as possible, ignoring the flow or style of Call Of Duty games. And this isn't tactical at all, it's just campy. Siege is tactical. SWAT is tactical. Arma is tactical. PUBG is tactical. This is just an arena shooter where you can't move because campers will get you the second you do. It's sloppy, unbalanced, unrewarding. Unrewarding when you get 10 kills because it just means you shot first, unrewarding when you die because 99% you had no chance or time to fight back. Capturing power positions and defending them is the entire game, and it is not fun to me.

Best of luck to those who are willing to persist, in the hope that the game will eventually fix its horrible maps, spawns, weapon balance or whatnot. I don't think they'll ever be able to do so because the core is simply based on wrong philosophies. No other COD this decade felt this unbalanced, and I have no interest in regressing my playstyle to camping 24/7 to be good at it. Because I can absolutely do that and win, but there is no fun in it. I started playing some BO4 again, reinstalled BO3, probably gonna play some WWII and the others as well these days. I'm all in for Call Of Duty this November, but this ain't it chief.

The campaign was great, I gotta give 'em that. Good thing they managed to nail that at least, because none of the other modes are good enough for a Call Of Duty. Even ignoring Spec Ops where I feel like we're beating a dead horse, this multiplayer experience is the poorest the franchise has been this decade. With their intent to cater to people who don't play Call Of Duty and can't play Call Of Duty well they alienated the people who play the game well and like what it's about. This is nowhere near a Call Of Duty experience, and given how their almighty 725/claymore/footstep nerf amounted to literally no change, it seems clear to me IW will pretend to listen to the community while keeping the things in that people hate.

It's okay, I have other things to play. Back to the old CoDs we go, hoping that Treyarch somehow managed to do a good game dsespite the short development, the new engine and the cross-gen launch. It's gonna be hard, but I'd be surprised if their multiplayer was worse than this.

Kthnxby

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever that last patch did to spawns made them worse,
now i'm seeing Piccadilly style spawns on maps like Cave, Petrograd, Rammaza, Peak and Gun Runner.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I understand lol but I find it better overall than level based matchmaking. Level doesn't mean nothing.

Yeah, sure. I doubt level based matchmaking has been a thing in a looong time, though, if it ever even was.

I don't own the game and probably would have quite a few issues with it if I did but the constant cod whining about sbmm in every single title is the silliest thing ever imo. Makes me hate the cod community even more. Not a personal attack at anyone. Just at the general notion.

Cool

Jun 23, 2019

Don't own the game, but the talk of SBMM makes you hate the community even more? Really?

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Don't own the game, but the talk of SBMM makes you hate the community even more? Really?

The whining about sbmm isn't new to this title. It exists in every cod title. And yes on the basis of the whining it truly does. Since A.) There should be some level of skill based matchmaking and B.) COD doesn't even use it that much as the biggest criteria. But that still doesn't stop the whining. In EVERY SINGLE TITLE.

Because god forbid somebody didn't have a match where they didn't pub stomp average to below average players. The amount of time the cod community spends moaning on this issue is ridiculous. In EVERY SINGLE TITLE.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

I swear I'm always the only one who actively shoots these things down on my team.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've been noticing as my KDR and win percentage has been climbing higher is that hq/hardpoint games are starting to suck because I get strings of teams who don't push together. Like, there will be a hair left on the HQ for the capture, 4 enemies dead, and folks will be sitting back taking pot-shots a mile away, waiting for enemies to show up. It's especially bad on maps with heavily walled off hardpoints/hqs in the corner, like Gun Runner and Arklov Peak.

SBMM in objective modes should not take KDR into account, otherwise the high ranks are just going to be folks who do everything to avoid dying, rather than playing to win.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus the GW spawn point screen is fucked. It keeps randomly jumping between points and for some reason constantly shoves the loadout screen in my face, so I keep accidentally spawning in a completely different point than where I wanted. Fucking annoying.

Either way, I FINALLY got to try the new GW map (it just kept throwing me into the Quarry and City maps which I think suck) and it was actually pretty fun. I might play GW on this map every now and then.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've been noticing as my KDR and win percentage has been climbing higher is that hq/hardpoint games are starting to suck because I get strings of teams who don't push together. Like, there will be a hair left on the HQ for the capture, 4 enemies dead, and folks will be sitting back taking pot-shots a mile away, waiting for enemies to show up. It's especially bad on maps with heavily walled off hardpoints/hqs in the corner, like Gun Runner and Arklov Peak.

SBMM in objective modes should not take KDR into account, otherwise the high ranks are just going to be folks who do everything to avoid dying, rather than playing to win.

In prior titles SPM was a better active measure generally speaking than KDR but not sure how this game operates and if its the same.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Wow! We have Mr. McDoody here. Lay down your knowledge, brah! Show me raw gameplay footage of you playing solo (no squads even one squadmate), not camping, rushing and doing well. Show us how tactical you are and how great you are.

You do know that people who play and buy this game are expecting a Call of Duty experience, right? It's like people going to McDonald's and you chastizing them for hating it cause it tastes like cake.

NO ONE asked for these changes. The community at large wanted boots on the ground and that's it. Thankfully, Infinity Ward seems to be moving away from the "tactical" meta you seem to be harpiing on about so the "crybabies" can enjoy their game.

Yes, there are people who have positive KD and WL stats that don't like the game.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Mind has been getting higher since I've just focused solely on Ground War. LOL!

Sniping and earning 'streaks there will easily net you 20+ kills. I went like 25-3 in one match, 19-1 in another or something. Yes, I abuse the tanks too. I gather this is what "tactical" gameplay means, right?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sniping and earning 'streaks there will easily net you 20+ kills. I went like 25-3 in one match, 19-1 in another or something. Yes, I abuse the tanks too. I gather this is what "tactical" gameplay means, right?
So tactical man, congratulations on the tactics !

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

That's how it works when people brag about KDR in Battlefield while only using vehicles. Tactical, and learning how to adapt, and using the tools the game gives you.

In the case of COD: camping, jumping around corners, no scope/quick scope, jumping shotting, drop shotting, and flavor of the month imbalanced gun(s). And now vehicles.

And the usual party stack.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, folks saying "stop crying and get good/adapt" are TOTALLY MISSING THE POINT in that it's not a question of adapting, it's a question of this game has a very different meta than pretty much almost every other CoD for the last 10 years and that's what folks were expecting. To use the food analogy above, I bought this expecting McDonalds and I got Subway. I do perfectly fine playing the way the game wants me to, but this isn't the game I wanted or expected. The absolute lack of critical thinking being applied to comments like "they're complaining so they must be doing bad, I'll just let them know to get good!" is appalling and more childish then anything else being thrown about.

Separate note: SBMM fundamentally breaks in groups of different skill levels. I had two friends from a group I used to play with every day on 360 that I hadn't gamed with in years because this gen I went PS4 and they went X1. Both of these friends are....not very good, and never have been. Which is fine, because CoD has typically been a fuck around game for us. When I am the party lead, my friends are getting absolutely fucking hammered, like 2-20 type shit; they're both level ~35ish and have been playing CoD and other shooters for years, so they understand the fundamentals and this isn't their first shooter or whatever. When either of THEM is the party lead they're breaking even or better and I'm having the best games of my life. I went 38-1 using nothing but a deagle (for a challenge) one game. It's actually stupid, and the disparity between the opponents in those matches is night and day from what I get in my solo games, it felt like I was fighting the bots in Fortnite. So now I can't play with my friends without it either being an abysmal experience for them, or me just crushing lobbies on their end (and I'm an overall average player at best, that's how bad these people are). I mostly wrote off people complaining about SBMM up until last night, but now I 100% believe it.

I think I may be out until they at the very least fix challenge progression stuff. Across 3 games I got 11 kills with the shield turret (which was a goddamn nightmare, holy shit that killstreak is bad), my mission progression for it (and I made sure mission was active) went from 2 to 6 to 0 which resetting hasn't fixed, and on the officer challenge for it (which is to get 40) it never budged from 0. So....that's great.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
My whole issue is that this COD takes so much more focus to do well (well, if you dont want to camp), but the regular COD bs like getting worked by killstreaks or random claymores and shit is just amped up to 11, making it all the more frustrating. Its like "woo, I got 5 kills in a row for skilled gunplay..." Boom, spawn killed, boom, spawn killed by killstreak, boom, claymore, boom some other bullshit. Suddenly I'm even for the game after working the fuck out of the other team because of no effort bullshit deaths. The awesome gameplay is so damn squandered this time around.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So Search and Destroy is clearly the best game type.

I hadn't played a CoD game since the original MW2 and S&D is my bad on this game. Very fun and very tense.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
the hell kind of post is this dude? Are you serious? He brought up serious points and actual criticism/analysis. lol..
The poster repeatedly made posts saying anyone who is enjoying the game / is doing well at the game, is a camping noob. Made the same complaints over and over, every day for two weeks. lol...

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Man I've been having good luck not getting screwed with the "unread" green icons but it looks like the AX-50s Ammunition tab is fucking me

There's only the one option but it's locked with a green icon despite me equipping etc

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So tactical man, congratulations on the tactics !
LOL! Not proud of it but it's what works, sadly. :(

That's how it works when people brag about KDR in Battlefield while only using vehicles. Tactical, and learning how to adapt, and using the tools the game gives you.

In the case of COD: camping, jumping around corners, no scope/quick scope, jumping shotting, drop shotting, and flavor of the month imbalanced gun(s). And now vehicles.

And the usual party stack.

Yeah, agreed. I hate it when people paly in parties and say "there's no problem" etc. Of course there isn't. You play with a full team or at least 2-3 teammates. It makes everything easier.
Once again, folks saying "stop crying and get good/adapt" are TOTALLY MISSING THE POINT in that it's not a question of adapting, it's a question of this game has a very different meta than pretty much almost every other CoD for the last 10 years and that's what folks were expecting. To use the food analogy above, I bought this expecting McDonalds and I got Subway. I do perfectly fine playing the way the game wants me to, but this isn't the game I wanted or expected. The absolute lack of critical thinking being applied to comments like "they're complaining so they must be doing bad, I'll just let them know to get good!" is appalling and more childish then anything else being thrown about.

Separate note: SBMM fundamentally breaks in groups of different skill levels. I had two friends from a group I used to play with every day on 360 that I hadn't gamed with in years because this gen I went PS4 and they went X1. Both of these friends are....not very good, and never have been. Which is fine, because CoD has typically been a fuck around game for us. When I am the party lead, my friends are getting absolutely fucking hammered, like 2-20 type shit; they're both level ~35ish and have been playing CoD and other shooters for years, so they understand the fundamentals and this isn't their first shooter or whatever. When either of THEM is the party lead they're breaking even or better and I'm having the best games of my life. I went 38-1 using nothing but a deagle (for a challenge) one game. It's actually stupid, and the disparity between the opponents in those matches is night and day from what I get in my solo games, it felt like I was fighting the bots in Fortnite. So now I can't play with my friends without it either being an abysmal experience for them, or me just crushing lobbies on their end (and I'm an overall average player at best, that's how bad these people are). I mostly wrote off people complaining about SBMM up until last night, but now I 100% believe it.

I think I may be out until they at the very least fix challenge progression stuff. Across 3 games I got 11 kills with the shield turret (which was a goddamn nightmare, holy shit that killstreak is bad), my mission progression for it (and I made sure mission was active) went from 2 to 6 to 0 which resetting hasn't fixed, and on the officer challenge for it (which is to get 40) it never budged from 0. So....that's great.
This! Exactly. A lot of people explained things in great detail and very logically and still some don't get it Infinity Ward just chucked out YEARS of FPS evolution for no one knows what reason.

Man I've been having good luck not getting screwed with the "unread" green icons but it looks like the AX-50s Ammunition tab is fucking me

There's only the one option but it's locked with a green icon despite me equipping etc

HDR has the same issue. I have the 7-round mag unlocked but it still won't disappear. Driving me insane. I also have the reticles appearing as green even if I can only choose the default one. :(

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe some of these bugs on PC. FOV resets to absolute tunnel vision randomly if I play Ground War. Like.. What the fuck? Have to restart the game to fix it.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe some of these bugs on PC. FOV resets to absolute tunnel vision randomly if I play Ground War. Like.. What the fuck? Have to restart the game to fix it.
The PC port is a mess for me. I have a 2080 + AMD Ryzen 3800k and i have some framedrops @ 35fps on some specific places on multiplayer maps where i'm usually @ 90fps.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I just noticed that you can see what your ping is in the options. Now I know why the latency in this COD seems godawful. It's because it IS. I have a ~500 down internet (so pretty damn good), but my ping in game is routinely around 400. My brother has gigabit and he's getting simular.

Where the fuck are the servers? Mars?

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The whining about sbmm isn't new to this title. It exists in every cod title. And yes on the basis of the whining it truly does. Since A.) There should be some level of skill based matchmaking and B.) COD doesn't even use it that much as the biggest criteria. But that still doesn't stop the whining. In EVERY SINGLE TITLE.

Because god forbid somebody didn't have a match where they didn't pub stomp average to below average players. The amount of time the cod community spends moaning on this issue is ridiculous. In EVERY SINGLE TITLE.
Agree with your point A. However point B is just wrong. How can you know that? At least how can you know that for this Call of Duty? All the "evidence" hint towards a VERY strong SBMM which evens priorities SBMM over connection. Keep in mind I feel this is true when basing it off my own experience.

I can't speak for everyone but I want a slightly toned down version of SBMM, cause I'm playing EXCLUSIVELY against Adderall pill popping cat-like reflex having teens. I have improved drastically even when I thought I hit my ceiling a long time ago, however I've been sweating my ass off in doing so. I just wanted to play the game casually though.

Also: no I do not want to "pub stomp" every game. No removing/toning down SBMM does NOT mean 1 god will play vs 6 noobs. People even saying stuff like pub stomping every game do not know what SBMM is and what it does.

in order to pub stomp every game you actually need to have a SBMM in place but set to do the complete opposite of the current one