• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatyearisit.jpeg Seriously, I just flashed back to MW2 watching this lol

The funny thing is that this shit was solved so long ago. Can't recall which COD did it first but I am 100% sure you could not use any kind of explosive or killstreak in the first seconds of a match in BO2. This was in 2012. A veteran Call Of Duty dev like Infinity Ward did not think it should be kept in, and people are realizing how to line up their explosives at the start of matches already. Pair this with stuff like Ghost working again even when you're still, putting a shotgun in the game which one shots at any distance again, revert pointstreaks back to killstreaks which makes objective-playing less relevant again, practically turn off spawnflips and combine it with spawns that are already extremely easy to trap due to the fact they're small corridors in most maps.

These are issues the franchise and Infinity Ward themselves solved several games ago. It's 2019 and a Call Of Duty game went back to issues we've not seen for the entirety of this generation - and even beyond that. It's as if Assassin's Creed 2020 went back to the having no actual checkpoints like in the first game, no horse riding inside towns like in 1 and 2, no actual character building and so on. Why would a franchise go back to generating problems they solved years ago? Was some vocal part of the community I missed complaining that there's a timer on explosives and you can't throw explosives on spawns anymore? Were people so unhappy about pointstreaks making people play the objectives? I can understand the overreaction on people getting bored by 3-lane map designs, the superhigh TTK on BO4 or the constant spawnflips of recent games, but who asked for Claymore spam to come back in particular? Who wanted maps where the most viable strategy is camping no matter where you are?

Infinity Ward created these issues themselves by reverting balancing decisions that nobody thought needed a fix. A smart dev who's working on a remake, a remaster, a reboot, a back to the roots experience tries to go back to what made the original titles loved, eliminating what doesn't stand the test of the time due to balancing, controls, graphics, etc. that changed throughout the years. People would love a Goldeneye 64 remake but nobody wants those fucking controls and framerate anymore. So a smart remake would take that game's atmosphere, give it a new coat of paint, add modern controls and balance it out a bit to make it fit the changes, then you've got a nostalgia piece worth caring about. What Infinity Ward did is go back to Modern Warfare 1-2 with the philosophy, eliminating a decade of welcomed changes to the formula under the false assumption that less people bought BO4 than MW3 because people hate spawn protection or pointstreaks.

No, people only wanted to get rid of futuristic soldiers shooting each other with laser weapons while wearing snowman skins, where enemies explode into confetti and the maps are like Disneyworld on steroids in terms of visual identity. Nobody asked for a decade of balancing to be cancelled outright.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
People wanted old-school MW back, so IW probably said "fuck it, if that's what the people want, they'll get it". I can't find another explanation, tbh.

Hahah, yeah. I can just imagine a higher up getting annoyed by criticism and going "well if they want old MW I'LL FUCKING GIVE THEM OLD MW".

Yeah the visibility is just one of so many issues you could basically write a damn novel on the baffling things that are in this game. This video was linked before in this thread but it has another good moment like that.

3m29s if that didn't timestamp. Even slowing down and rewatching that took me a few times to see the person, it's crazy how much he blends with the table.

Good grief. Genuinely had to drop the playback speed to 0.25x to see the dude.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
IMO they REALLY need to up the contrast on player models.

It's fucking impossible to see people many times. There have been times in Azhir Cave where I know there's an enemy because I see his name, but when I shoot I'm not even shooting at him because I can't see, I'm just guessing where he is from his name.

And it's not just in that map, people blend into the environment on EVERY map, it's infuriating. At first I thought it was my TV. Then I thought it was my colorblindness (none of the options help), but now I'm realizing a lot of people are experiencing the same issue. I get into gunfights all the time and I can't even control my recoil or aim properly because people just blend into the background.

It's should be an easy fix, but I doubt they'll do it.

They won't. This has been a complaint since the beta. Nothing happened. I play in front of a 65-inch 4K TV and I have a hard time seeing enemies. I chalked it up to poor eyesight and colorblindness, but my friend who has perfect vision also said the same thing. He can't see shit. Friggin' devs can't even do this correctly.

What's wrong with mounting?

I don't get it either. Sure it's annoying when you run into one but it's kinda doing what it's supposed to do, not sure exactly what could be done to nerf them and still have them be useful except maybe make it so they don't blow up when you shoot them.

I run claymores primarily and feel they're OP. Blast radius is too wide, you can die even if you're not in the laser radius, and I think even from the sides. I got a 22-killstreak going mostly with claymores.

Honestly, this is probably the most positive I have ever felt about a CoD multiplayer after a week+ of playing since Black Ops 2. From Ghosts up to Black Ops 4, there had always been things about how each game felt that bothered me. Only twice was it so bad that I flat out just dropped the game after a month or two (Ghosts and Black Ops 4), but all the others I stuck with, but never to the degree of Black Ops 2. This is probably the most negatively that I've seen the community react to the new game at launch, but also the first time that I don't really share the negative sentiment of the rest of the community. I enjoy the slower pace of the game compared to some of the more recent entries, I don't seem to be having the same issues with other players using M4s, 725s, Claymores, and Riot Shields, I like a good portion of the maps, and I think mounting is a really neat mechanic. I'm actually kind of worried that they'll overreact to the community and end up shifting the game speed back in the "run and gun with SMGs being the most viable" direction.

Most of my actual complaints fall outside of the gameplay. I don't like how the challenges are set up compared to past entries, and in-game voice chat sounds booty, but is the only way for me to talk with friends on console that can't be arsed to set up a Discord.

I take it you didn't like the past CODs? If so, I understand why you like this. Longtime COD players (COD4 onwards), like me? Yeah, we hate it. This promotes camping and super slow movement and that's it. It heavily punishes those who move hence why you see matches end via time limit instead of score (which is insane to see in TDM matches). Attachments, footsteps, sprint speed, ADS time, etc. all promote a slower playstyle. I'm fine with the devs wanting to keep camping stuff in to help less experienced players, but not at the expense of those who want to run 'n' gun.

Man, I have been playing Call of Duty and talking about issues that need to be fixed about it on the net for a very long time, and this is easily the most noise I have ever heard about very specific issues in the game, in particular the map design and the OP weapons (725, claymore and M4). Even the akimbo shotguns of MW2 didn't kick up as much of a stink as this. Infinity Ward will have to act quickly. Those issues alone deserve their own patch at this point, it would be well received at least.

There's noise because it's shit. This is the shittiest COD game I've ever played. It's like the devs don't know their own fanbase. If I wanted to play something slower, I'd play Siege. If I wanted large scale warfare that's not half baked, I'd play Battlefield.

This reminds me of Homefront multiplayer.

I've said it before, if anyone from Infinity Ward posts or visits here, I will pay actual real money to watch them play. Heck, have them do it and donate the earnings to charity. Only caveat is they need to play in random matches and not be in a squad. I really, really want to see them do well and how they deal with the shit spawns, shit maps, shit weapon balance, and overall camping.

Mind, I still have a positive K/D and I'm pissed. Imagine those who go 2.5 K/D in past CODs who go negative here.

I don't like the guy either but claiming he sucks at the game is quite the hot take. There are obvious issues with the game right now, and he is far from the only one pointing them out. You probably have to go back to some of BO1's original maps to find this much spawntrapping and killstreak spawn abuse. The anti-camping measures of a decade of COD: gone, now it's Ghost being OP again, the self-regenerating claymores, the dark corners to hide in, and so on. The low TTK's issues, further increased by the terrible netcode. And not only the maps are pretty fucking bad, there's just not enough of them, as a lot of room is taken by disappointing modes that people don't really want to play (10v10 maps in particular). This isn't a tactical game. Siege is tactical. Battlefield, to an extent, is tactical with its squads and classes. This game's tactics: be as passive as possible to protect your killstreak which will then net you a billion free kills. Sorry but that is bad design, and the reactions around Reddit, Twitter, the pro gamer scene, influencers, gaming forums is revealing.

I've been getting flak over my review where I gave the game 7.3 in the comments section, but slowly people are realizing I saw the issues a mile away that they are only noticing now. There's some deep flaws with the game right now, which is too bad because it does some things in an excellent way (movement, the feeling of shooting guns, the animations, the graphics, the Gunsmith, etc.). Hating a gaming personality in particular doesn't make his argument invalid considering he is very right. In that clip alone he died two cheap deaths, one caused by the poor netcode, visibility and weapon balance and the other by the claymore spam (which you can only really counter if you're high level and are willing to sacrifice a cool perk or two).

I just hope Infinity Ward reacts to this quickly, because with other mainline CODs still very playable and with a large population, the various BRs out there, the new Battlefield update, their own COD Mobile... people don't necessarily have a reason to stick around. This isn't 2009 when everyone and their grandma was on MW2 and any other multiplayer shooter barely made sense. Today they've got serious competition, and if a couple weeks in the community is not enjoying the game, it'll be a hard ask telling them to come back because the game is finally good. At this rate, if they don't fix their shit, I fully expect BO4 to have a bigger playerbase than MW does in like 6 months*. And you know fully well that BO4 wasn't exactly a fan favourite.

*Unless the rumored F2P battle royale mode they're working on runs off the same executable as the main game: in that case, the influx of free players will obviously trump any other COD that isn't COD Mobile.

Holy crap! This! So much this. Same reaction as I have. I said this before, if Reddit, YouTubers, Twitter, forums (such as this one) ALL have the same sentiments (majority), then maybe -- just maybe -- something is really wrong. Can you link me to your review? I didn't review it on my site, but someone else did and gave it an 8.5 (liked campaign, even MP). I said I'd give this a 6.5 or 7 if this was me since MP was the big thing about COD and this one clearly fails in almost every aspect.

This game promotes a passive playstyle and NOT going after objectives. It's like that Joe Cecot guy decided to devolve shooters and used the biggest franchise in gaming to do it on.

Thing is, the only way IW will listen is if their player base dwindles. They already sold a fuckton, so complaints will go on deaf ears (remember COD: WWII?) until shit hits the fan and everyone stops playing, and they know they need to fix it lest their game dies fast.

It's as if this game wasn't made by veterans at Infinity Ward, but a random indie who only ever made single player games and has no idea how to balance weapons, how to design maps, how to place objectives.

Seriously, this is stuff that Infinity Ward themselves have solved for various games in a row already. How is it that we're back to issues from 10-12 years ago?

My take? Their lead game MP designer isn't a vet of COD games. I dunno. There's no way this is an old school IW dev and can fuck things up this bad.

It's obvious to me that either the devs or Activision have decided to go with a "presentation first" approach to this game, because it is clearly the best CoD has been from a presentation perspective in a long time, but the laser focused approach to polishing how the game looks and feels to play has come at the cost of the important factors under the hood that make good shooters work and keep the cogs turning.

In other words, they've neglected the basics when it comes to multiplayer FPS, and now the wait begins for what feels like the day one patch on like, day 40.

I never thought of this but yeah, makes sense.

People wanted old-school MW back, so IW probably said "fuck it, if that's what the people want, they'll get it". I can't find another explanation, tbh.

No. We (longtime fans) just wanted boots on ground COD MP. You can't just forget the years of evolution shooters had just because you're going back to standard modern settings.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No. We (longtime fans) just wanted boots on ground COD MP. You can't just forget the years of evolution shooters had just because you're going back to standard modern settings.
I play CoD since the CoD4 days and a lot of my mates who played back then definitely wanted the look and feel of the old games back and that's what lots of people wrote online, too. Most posts just went "We want old-school MW back" without making much of a distinction.

IW went too far, though and reverted basically every right balancing revision made since MW3. I agree with your sentiment that IW should've never forgotten about the years of evolution but what IW did basically was a knee-jerk "okay, it'll be as insanely unbalanced and balls-to-the-wall as MW2 was if people want ye olde times back" reaction.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
The funny thing is that this shit was solved so long ago. Can't recall which COD did it first but I am 100% sure you could not use any kind of explosive or killstreak in the first seconds of a match in BO2. This was in 2012. A veteran Call Of Duty dev like Infinity Ward did not think it should be kept in, and people are realizing how to line up their explosives at the start of matches already. Pair this with stuff like Ghost working again even when you're still, putting a shotgun in the game which one shots at any distance again, revert pointstreaks back to killstreaks which makes objective-playing less relevant again, practically turn off spawnflips and combine it with spawns that are already extremely easy to trap due to the fact they're small corridors in most maps.

These are issues the franchise and Infinity Ward themselves solved several games ago. It's 2019 and a Call Of Duty game went back to issues we've not seen for the entirety of this generation - and even beyond that. It's as if Assassin's Creed 2020 went back to the having no actual checkpoints like in the first game, no horse riding inside towns like in 1 and 2, no actual character building and so on. Why would a franchise go back to generating problems they solved years ago? Was some vocal part of the community I missed complaining that there's a timer on explosives and you can't throw explosives on spawns anymore? Were people so unhappy about pointstreaks making people play the objectives? I can understand the overreaction on people getting bored by 3-lane map designs, the superhigh TTK on BO4 or the constant spawnflips of recent games, but who asked for Claymore spam to come back in particular? Who wanted maps where the most viable strategy is camping no matter where you are?

Infinity Ward created these issues themselves by reverting balancing decisions that nobody thought needed a fix. A smart dev who's working on a remake, a remaster, a reboot, a back to the roots experience tries to go back to what made the original titles loved, eliminating what doesn't stand the test of the time due to balancing, controls, graphics, etc. that changed throughout the years. People would love a Goldeneye 64 remake but nobody wants those fucking controls and framerate anymore. So a smart remake would take that game's atmosphere, give it a new coat of paint, add modern controls and balance it out a bit to make it fit the changes, then you've got a nostalgia piece worth caring about. What Infinity Ward did is go back to Modern Warfare 1-2 with the philosophy, eliminating a decade of welcomed changes to the formula under the false assumption that less people bought BO4 than MW3 because people hate spawn protection or pointstreaks.

No, people only wanted to get rid of futuristic soldiers shooting each other with laser weapons while wearing snowman skins, where enemies explode into confetti and the maps are like Disneyworld on steroids in terms of visual identity. Nobody asked for a decade of balancing to be cancelled outright.
that is very true, going back to the roots does not mean going back to old problems, people had serious problems with balancing with mw2 weapons back in the day, and it seems they brought that back, along with random over powered elements. but whats worse is the design of the maps from cod4 and mw2 DESTROY mw map design, and its not even close. so they took all the bad elements from the original cods, threw away the excellent map designs, and called it a day.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
They won't. This has been a complaint since the beta. Nothing happened. I play in front of a 65-inch 4K TV and I have a hard time seeing enemies. I chalked it up to poor eyesight and colorblindness, but my friend who has perfect vision also said the same thing. He can't see shit. Friggin' devs can't even do this correctly.

I highly recommend using the recon perk. It spots tags much further away and has helped me spot enemies way faster.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I would give them the time to review how Battlefield V improved visibility in patches, as when it comes to the multiplayer I think most of their design is poorly implemented second-hand ideas.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is the first CoD I have purchased and put any amount of time in since MW2. MW could be so good if IW/Activision focused on what needs to be sorted. Gunplay and audio is damn spot on. It's everything else that needs looking at.

I think the biggest overall issue is that mentally, IW and Activision have already moved onto the next CoD, be it the BR mode or the next BO/whatever they do. They never have enough sticking power to keep working at something and make it great. They just push onto developing the next CoD and hope people forget about this one and dive right into the next despite hollow promises of things done better.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the Sledgehammer CoDs were the end all be all of level design.

...and yet they were better than those in MW2019. I've never been the biggest fan of Infinity Ward's map designs but I'd honestly play in just about any MW2 or MW3 map (maybe not Rust) over the ones we've got here. Even the worst WWII maps felt more balanced than shit like Piccadilly.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I've said it before, if anyone from Infinity Ward posts or visits here, I will pay actual real money to watch them play. Heck, have them do it and donate the earnings to charity. Only caveat is they need to play in random matches and not be in a squad. I really, really want to see them do well and how they deal with the shit spawns, shit maps, shit weapon balance, and overall camping.
Treyarch used to have studio livestreams for every update where occasionally Vonderhaar and the boys would play public matches. It was pretty fun to watch them play.
IW should do the same thing, but I don't see that happening.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This is the first CoD I have purchased and put any amount of time in since MW2. MW could be so good if IW/Activision focused on what needs to be sorted. Gunplay and audio is damn spot on. It's everything else that needs looking at.

I think the biggest overall issue is that mentally, IW and Activision have already moved onto the next CoD, be it the BR mode or the next BO/whatever they do. They never have enough sticking power to keep working at something and make it great. They just push onto developing the next CoD and hope people forget about this one and dive right into the next despite hollow promises of things done better.

They need to either take out the chatter or lower that volume. My fucking guy yelling contact does me no good if the fucking enemy years it 25 meters away.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Treyarch used to have studio livestreams for every update where occasionally Vonderhaar and the boys would play public matches. It was pretty fun to watch them play.
IW should do the same thing, but I don't see that happening.

I'd watch them die 4-5 times in a row due to claymores or spawntrapped by a VTOL in Piccadilly. I kinda want to see them tackle such a situation and see what they've got to say to that.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Its seems that xp tokens count down even when you arent even playing the game lovely.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
back in the MW2 days it was a very different era so it's no wonder it didn't kick up as much fuss, there wasn't the channels for discussion like now with social media being what it is today.
Yea this was nothing like 2009-10 where the only noise was coming from Youtube personalities then and forums. Times have severely changed since then.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, CoD is a great "change-up" from playing so much Destiny and I like the feel of the game. Problem is MP is a mess right now. I parties up with some buddies that were already maxed out and they had access to a ton more weapons and perks that said could help a little bit, but wither there being kill streaks instead of score streaks, the meta will probably never change and it will always be "Camp of Duty."

Either way, that doesn't change the fact that is takes less than a minute to boot up the game and get into a match and that's what really matters to me.

Fair enough. The game is incredible at getting you into a game really quick. If they solve the MP issues I might pick the game up again, because the core is solid.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I have not bought the game yet because I'm holding out for the BR mode, but from everything I'm watching including Shroud, Disrespect, etc is that the TTK just seems stupidly fast even by normal COD standards. This makes me think unless they tweaked the TTK for the BR (which wouldn't really make sense from a continuity standpoint) that the BR mode would be horrible. I'd love to be proven wrong here. Maybe it'll work out great but right now I'm seeing a ton of camping and claymores which would be really annoying to deal with in BR. The only way they could remedy it is by doing some idea of a respawn beacon but then they'd take away from the theme/ realism they've spent so much time on.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The TTK does not feel that low to me? I don't feel like I die any quicker than in other cods, and at launch it feels better than pre-patch BOIIII which was beyond frustrating.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I prefer the filter approach. That way I can pick my favorite modes and get a somewhat randomized mix of them without having to back out and pick something else.

I have not bought the game yet because I'm holding out for the BR mode, but from everything I'm watching including Shroud, Disrespect, etc is that the TTK just seems stupidly fast even by normal COD standards. This makes me think unless they tweaked the TTK for the BR (which wouldn't really make sense from a continuity standpoint) that the BR mode would be horrible. I'd love to be proven wrong here. Maybe it'll work out great but right now I'm seeing a ton of camping and claymores which would be really annoying to deal with in BR. The only way they could remedy it is by doing some idea of a respawn beacon but then they'd take away from the theme/ realism they've spent so much time on.

They will have to adjust the TTK. There is no way it can stay like this for BR. Armor will not be enough so extend it.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Just had a game of Domination where nobody on my team bothered to play the objective as soon as they realized the other team was a party full of 725 users, sooked it up for most of the match then quit out. Matchmaking seems to have an unhealthy obsession with matching teams of randoms against parties as well which is fucking annoying.

Fuck me dead I want this game to survive but IW really need to pull their head out of their ass.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the filter approach. That way I can pick my favorite modes and get a somewhat randomized mix of them without having to back out and pick something else.

They will have to adjust the TTK. There is no way it can stay like this for BR. Armor will not be enough so extend it.

True. Armor could maybe fix it....In Apex if you have no shield it's pretty close to the fast TTK I'm seeing here in MW. With a level 4 shield it's a whole other ball of wax.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Games is broken anyway, might as well just use whatever you like.

I personally love the Kilo 141, yes it is not M4 but at least I like it.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany

Ill pay money too. Please let this happen

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I take it you didn't like the past CODs? If so, I understand why you like this. Longtime COD players (COD4 onwards), like me? Yeah, we hate it.
I played from 2003 Cod to MW3, dipping in and quickly out of the blops era games. I love this game. Feels much the same as those games' pace and flow. There seems to be a minority screaming how this isn't call of duty (blops), while the rest of us get on with enjoying the game. Some people need to walk away and go back to blops, this isn't your game.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Yeah Treyarch makes the better console games.
At this point Im Not a fan of crossplay anymore.

What will happen to the visibility if the nextgen launches, Jesuuuus.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
DUDE SAME.

This gun is straight up comedy and we might as well ride the train until the patch comes....any day now.
Did the Same, My trusty AK was not enough so I made some adjustments.

It is kinda fun just to sit in a corner and Blow people away with one shot. The way the new lobby works you don;t even have to feel guilty. The next game it is very likely that you will be matched with other players. :D

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played from 2003 Cod to MW3, dipping in and quickly out of the blops era games. I love this game. Feels much the same as those games' pace and flow. There seems to be a minority screaming how this isn't call of duty (blops), while the rest of us get on with enjoying the game. Some people need to walk away and go back to blops, this isn't your game.

People bought the game, they have the same rights to criticize it as much as you have to praise it. And it's not just a couple disgruntled Black Ops players, it's most a lot of pro CoD players, streamers, Youtubers as well. If you look at the Reddit frontpage, half of the posts are issues with spawns, map designs, lobbies dismantling, absurd camping, horribly low TTK and so on. I'm happy for you that you're enjoying the game, I really am, but there's a reason the game is getting a giant overhaul later this month and that IW is running back to quickly release a couple classic maps to try and solve the issue with the maps being few and bad.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Even on 6vs6 maps there is no reason to play with SMGs . Watching DrDisrespect getting wrecked from ARs left and right just confirmed this for me, lmao. Passive play ftw

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People bought the game, they have the same rights to criticize it as much as you have to praise it. And it's not just a couple disgruntled Black Ops players, it's most a lot of pro CoD players, streamers, Youtubers as well. If you look at the Reddit frontpage, half of the posts are issues with spawns, map designs, lobbies dismantling, absurd camping, horribly low TTK and so on. I'm happy for you that you're enjoying the game, I really am, but there's a reason the game is getting a giant overhaul later this month and that IW is running back to quickly release a couple classic maps to try and solve the issue with the maps being few and bad.

I don't care what "pro" CoD players have to say about the game, they ban a lot of the stuff so their opinions are invalid IMHO, they're what's wrong with a lot of CoD

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wait wait wait wait WHAT? I didn't log in for a weekend and there's kill confirmed now?

I have questions!!!!!!!!!!

1) which other game modes were added?
2) Does the game still say kill confirmed when you pick up a tag?
3) When do more game modes get dropped?