• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was not aware of this. This is some hot sexy $hit that I will be hitting hard. Does it level up your weapons too? Please say yes.... I want to snipe from rooftops with shotguns too.

Yes, I levelled up like normal. You take all your classes with you, there's some minor tweaks to perks. Don't know if challenges also go with you, I doubt it.

We played the 2nd mission and got stuck outside the walls of the base unable to move in for the torrent of baddies coming out. The AI spawn and run out of the base, eventually you'll go down but I was mowing them down and I think a coordinated team could sit there all day.

You get less XP per kill compared to a player in MP mode (I think 10XP?). I am no 'pro farmer' but I found myself racking up the XP - we wanted to move in and complete the mission but the non-stop enemies meant we couldn't even take a breather.

Spec ops would be infinitely better with fewer enemies and no XP.

Danny

Oct 25, 2017
Having a lot of fun in Headquarters defending with the Riot Shield and trophy system. I saw Molotovs mentioned earlier as a counter to shields - does the trophy system shoot down Molotovs?

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Yes, I levelled up like normal. You take all your classes with you, there's some minor tweaks to perks. Don't know if challenges also go with you, I doubt it.

We played the 2nd mission and got stuck outside the walls of the base unable to move in for the torrent of baddies coming out. The AI spawn and run out of the base, eventually you'll go down but I was mowing them down and I think a coordinated team could sit there all day.

You get less XP per kill compared to a player in MP mode (I think 10XP?). I am no 'pro farmer' but I found myself racking up the XP - we wanted to move in and complete the mission but the non-stop enemies meant we couldn't even take a breather.

very nice. I will definitely spend some time there leveling up weapons instead of dealing with MP for the time being. Teams are already finding ways to spawn camp as well, which is great news : /

Does anybody else still have a really hard time seeing people on Azhir Cave? Particularly when you're outside looking into the cave. It's like staring into a black hole.

I had a match was in there yesterday and yeah not only are guys hard to see, but the sniper lanes are in sane in there. the other team spend the entire matching sniping down each of the caves and the rooftops; I think they won that match of tdm by about 80ish points.

Is there a mercy rule in MW at all?

Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops 4 also suffered due to extreme ambitions. It was set to have an insanely ambitious campaign, a further evolution of BO3's already rather advanced multiplayer, Zombies was supposed to become 10 times more bonkers... Black Ops 5, in comparison, will likely be a safer project, so it probably won't feel at odds with its own design like BO4 did at times. But chances are it'll have limited content or some annoying launch issues, as it's a victim of an even stricter timetable than BO4.
Um have you read the stuff about BO5?
it was supposed to be Sledgehammer, but they collapsed after their leadership shakeup.
Raven got promoted to run it with Sledgehammer assisting them,
Their partnership was an absolute mess so Treyarch had to get called in a year early(after their last game was already trash with 3 years) to salvage anything from those two teams work while they both assist...

BO5 is going to make 4 look like BO2 by comparison .

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what happened to the tamagotchi watches? I know there's a totinos pizza one and a COD endowment charity one but is that it?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um have you read the stuff about BO5?
it was supposed to be Sledgehammer, but they collapsed after their leadership shakeup.
Raven got promoted to run it with Sledgehammer assisting them,
Their partnership was an absolute mess so Treyarch had to get called in a year early(after their last game was already trash with 3 years) to salvage anything from those two teams work while they both assist...

BO5 is going to make 4 look like BO2 by comparison .

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. BO4 had issues because they tried doing too damn much, with last second changes (no campaign, no wallrunning, etc.) after playtesting and Activision's impressions not being as good as they hoped. BO5 will probably have the opposite issue: they can't try anything risky because they'll have issues as is to finish the game in a decent way.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Been having more fun with it after not playing for a week. Dunno if the update changed anything major or I just needed to retool my play style a bit. The campaign picks up a lot after the first 4-5 levels, I really dig the super brisk and varied pacing. Some pretty cool setpieces built around the fairly limited game systems the campaign has.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is for all the crap that Battlefield V has received, the game suffered from none of the fundamental problems that this game has because they were solved by the Battlefield series' own conventions. The revive mechanic resolves many potential frustrations with more open maps and tons of angles and campers can be dislodged through the destructible environment. Doesn't matter if I got killed by a camper or blown up by a plane because my buddies can just pick me up. Playing the Pacific Update after playing Modern Warfare really just highlighted how far ahead Battlefield is in designing a larger experience.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
very nice. I will definitely spend some time there leveling up weapons instead of dealing with MP for the time being. Teams are already finding ways to spawn camp as well, which is great news : /

Glad I could help. Although, being devil's advocate - what's the point of levelling up guns if you're not going to go back to MP if other players are being shitty? Bin off the game and save yourself the time sink.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is for all the crap that Battlefield V has received, the game suffered from none of the fundamental problems that this game has because they were solved by the Battlefield series' own conventions. The revive mechanic resolves many potential frustrations with more open maps and tons of angles and campers can be dislodged through the destructible environment. Doesn't matter if I got killed by a camper or blown up by a plane because my buddies can just pick me up. Playing the Pacific Update after playing Modern Warfare really just highlighted how far ahead Battlefield is in designing a larger experience.

I'd argue that Battlefield V had one of the finest launches in the series' history, the main issue was how limited the content was. Too few maps, most game modes launching weeks/months later, but what was there was mostly working very well. This game's attempt to deliver a similar experience with big maps falls flat because Call Of Duty (this one, in particular) is just not suited for this. Less freedom in movement, no destructible buildings, less teamplay options, no revive system, no proper squad system, no proper class system, insanely low TTK, no real variety in equipments that would give you some sort of edge, laserpoint weapons that allow easy kills from any distance, etc. etc.. Call Of Duty needed enormous changes to work in a big environment.

Ironically enough, Treyarch and Raven did just that: Blackout, while far from perfect, was a great mode that changed the COD formula just enough to make it work with the suddenly bigger environment, playercount and sparse level design. But Infinity Ward, like with MW3 and Ghosts, shows again they know better than other devs and the community, and once again ignore every single improvement Treyarch brought to the table. The result is that MW2019 is gonna take months if it's ever gonna reach the highs of BO4, which was already a somewhat disappointing episode to begin with.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Glad I could help. Although, being devil's advocate - what's the point of levelling up guns if you're not going to go back to MP if other players are being shitty? Bin off the game and save yourself the time sink.

Nah, CoD is a great "change-up" from playing so much Destiny and I like the feel of the game. Problem is MP is a mess right now. I parties up with some buddies that were already maxed out and they had access to a ton more weapons and perks that said could help a little bit, but wither there being kill streaks instead of score streaks, the meta will probably never change and it will always be "Camp of Duty."

Either way, that doesn't change the fact that is takes less than a minute to boot up the game and get into a match and that's what really matters to me.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Finished the campaign yesterday. Didn't like the mission where you play actual children in a war zone. It trivializes the millions of victims that go through that everyday in real life. Also the tone just doesn't fit to the other missions where you are John Rambo's second coming.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it's been asked already but how does crossplay work between PS4 and Xbox? Can I chat and party up with a friend on another console? Are we able to private chat, or is it just game chat when we party up?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the campaign yesterday. Didn't like the mission where you play actual children in a war zone. It trivializes the millions of victims that go through that everyday in real life. Also the tone just doesn't fit to the other missions where you are John Rambo's second coming.

There's definitely a tonal issue with the campaign, but it's a great campaign imho. It tackles a lot of dramatic moments and tough themes, but it doesn't really earn the heavier moments like those because there's little character development, minimal story and morals are shown as rather black and white. It's a series of short war experiences rather than a meaningful ride into the ugly side of war. Which is often hard to convey in a videogame when shooting at targets is really fun, with the game doing their best to make you feel fuckin' badass while doing so. To this day the only mainstream game that pulled such a stunt off well is Spec Ops: The Line imho.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
There's definitely a tonal issue with the campaign, but it's a great campaign imho. It tackles a lot of dramatic moments and tough themes, but it doesn't really earn the heavier moments like those because there's little character development, minimal story and morals are shown as rather black and white. It's a series of short war experiences rather than a meaningful ride into the ugly side of war. Which is often hard to convey in a videogame when shooting at targets is really fun, with the game doing their best to make you feel fuckin' badass while doing so. To this day the only mainstream game that pulled such a stunt off well is Spec Ops: The Line imho.
Yes I agree. Also the Alex stuff at the very end, I just didn't care at all but was probably supposed to be an epic moment. As you said it wasn't earned, neither his position towards her, nor caring about him either...

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Picked this up on Friday and I'm loving it so far. Sure, there are games when my team gets stomped non-stop but that doesn't seem to be the norm. This is pretty much the CoD game I've wanted for the last decade. Love it.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I agree. Also the Alex stuff at the very end, I just didn't care at all but was probably supposed to be an epic moment. As you said it wasn't earned, neither his position towards her, nor caring about him either...

Yeah, it was such a cliché for a character we saw for a whopping 10 minutes before that. Even earlier MW games had a hard time making me care about the characters and some of them were built up for 3 games, here I just can't care a whole lot about who ends up how because Price and Farah are the only two people in the entire story with enough dialogue, with Price not getting the slightest amount of background either to be fair.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
The Bridge is absolutely the worst map of all time, but it's also the map I do by far and away the best on, and the only map I've lived long enough to get VTOL killstreaks on.

Got myself a real monkey paw situation here

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'd argue that Battlefield V had one of the finest launches in the series' history, the main issue was how limited the content was. Too few maps, most game modes launching weeks/months later, but what was there was mostly working very well. This game's attempt to deliver a similar experience with big maps falls flat because Call Of Duty (this one, in particular) is just not suited for this. Less freedom in movement, no destructible buildings, less teamplay options, no revive system, no proper squad system, no proper class system, insanely low TTK, no real variety in equipments that would give you some sort of edge, laserpoint weapons that allow easy kills from any distance, etc. etc.. Call Of Duty needed enormous changes to work in a big environment.

Ironically enough, Treyarch and Raven did just that: Blackout, while far from perfect, was a great mode that changed the COD formula just enough to make it work with the suddenly bigger environment, playercount and sparse level design. But Infinity Ward, like with MW3 and Ghosts, shows again they know better than other devs and the community, and once again ignore every single improvement Treyarch brought to the table. The result is that MW2019 is gonna take months if it's ever gonna reach the highs of BO4, which was already a somewhat disappointing episode to begin with.

This is the part that pisses me off. Infinity Ward acts holier than thou when treyarch has brought great additions to the series. They ignore it, now their game is shit with atrocious balancing and mind boggling game ideas. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to incoperate some of treyarchs ideas. lol

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can we talk about the supposed "skill-based matchmaking" for a minute? Personally I think it is not a thing, or at least not implemented the way people portray it in angry reddit posts. The idea seems to be "if I do well in a few games, suddenly I'll be put into a bracket with much better players and then start doing poorly."

This does not jive with my experience in the game at all. I am a very average FPS player. According to the in-game stats my overall K/D is exactly 1.0. However, despite that I feel like I do better in this game than a lot of other previous COD games. I am at the top or near the top of the leaderboard in every game I play with a few exceptions. (This isn't to brag about how good I am, obviously I'm not.)

But I would think if there actually was SBMM the way people seem to suggest, this would not be the case. That I would do well for a little bit, get to the top of the scoreboard for a while, then suddenly be placed into a higher skill range and start to get destroyed. It's just not happening. In fact, if anything it seems I am doing better over time, not worse.

What does everyone else think about this? I think SBMM is kind of a boogeyman but I'd love to hear thoughts. It's impossible to discuss this on reddit because that place is just so utterly toxic and convinced everything that makes them not do well is the game's fault. Much more reasonable discussion is an option here.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really struggling to tell the difference with some of these attachments. A maxed out ADS-speed m4 doesn't seem a whole lot quicker to me, and neither does it impact greatly on stability.

The more I play this the more apparent there are some glaring weapon imbalances. MP5 is the only SMG worth running, and I think everyone will agree the 725 is an OP sniper - I mean shotgun.

While I'm on a bit of a rant, people protecting their KD ratio is really starting to hack me off. Cyber attack has got to be the worst example. Majority of players would prefer to let the timer run out and lose the round rather than risk getting killed reviving a player or defusing the bomb. Play the fricking objective!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Can we talk about the supposed "skill-based matchmaking" for a minute? Personally I think it is not a thing, or at least not implemented the way people portray it in angry reddit posts. The idea seems to be "if I do well in a few games, suddenly I'll be put into a bracket with much better players and then start doing poorly."

This does not jive with my experience in the game at all. I am a very average FPS player. According to the in-game stats my overall K/D is exactly 1.0. However, despite that I feel like I do better in this game than a lot of other previous COD games. I am at the top or near the top of the leaderboard in every game I play with a few exceptions. (This isn't to brag about how good I am, obviously I'm not.)

But I would think if there actually was SBMM the way people seem to suggest, this would not be the case. That I would do well for a little bit, get to the top of the scoreboard for a while, then suddenly be placed into a higher skill range and start to get destroyed. It's just not happening. In fact, if anything it seems I am doing better over time, not worse.

What does everyone else think about this? I think SBMM is kind of a boogeyman but I'd love to hear thoughts. It's impossible to discuss this on reddit because that place is just so utterly toxic and convinced everything that makes them not do well is the game's fault. Much more reasonable discussion is an option here.

It's impossible to really comment on the SBMM's inner workings as a player - we don't know what it tracks, how it weighs different things, how strictly it categorizes players and so on.

We can say with some confidence that there is some sort of SBMM going on, however, due to the matchmaking times, lobby pings and mixed input lobbies. The matchmaking heavily prioritizes the player's skill or some other invisible value over connection quality, which is very likely why the longer you play and the better you get, you start getting longer matchmaking times and higher ping lobbies. I'm not very good either but I still have to wait until it starts looking for 75ms-ish lobbies to get into a game. I've read multiple comments from apparently very good players that their situation is even worse.

FWIW, my experience is probably much closer to what the angry redditors are on about. My good games are often followed by multiple terrible, barely-positive-usually-dooown-in-the-lower-half games, though I haven't paid enough attention to really say if there's any sort of pattern or whatever the reason for it would be.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Black Ops 5 is also going to be cross gen, most likely, so that's another set of games that Treyarch has to patch, bug fix, etc. I don't hold out much hope!

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017

The devs confirmed there is SBMM when they launched the beta. And no it isn't because people aren't doing well. the lobbys I get in are legit sweat fests, it feels like I am playing some competitive tournament games in every single game.

The gameplay loop that made COD popular just isnt here. The constant action, fast twitchy gameplay, and the casualness of it all is just non apparent in this game with the slow ass gameplay that has matches finish with time limits, the non existent gun fights, and the boring campy gameplay that it promotes, coupled with every game being a sweat fest makes this game the biggest chore to play in a while.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

Does CoD even have SBMM? If so, I haven't noticed it at all yet. I think my k/d is probably around .25 or so right about now between myself and my daughter, lol. Having SBMM would be a huge plus for me and at least give me a fighting chance in these matching playing with other old folks with slow fingers.

If you are around a 1.0 then the SBMM does not favor you since it is going to keep you playing with guys from around .9 through 1.5 (I'm really not sure what metric they use, but the idea is the same) so it is going to prevent you from playing the hardcore sweats that are elite, but will also prevent you from playing against easy cannon fodder.

The elite players hate SBMM because it forces them to play against other skilled players constantly and they cannot boost their against scrubs like me.

So yeah, what option is there to get SBMM?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
First game of the day: 17-1 on Gun runner
Second game: 6-10 on Hackney Yard

The only reason I wasn't the last of my team was because apparently the rest of these pro players didn't have any idea what the game mode we were playing was
nbtlgDE.png

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with some form of skill-based matchmaking but I question how it really works (if it does at all) when most of the time if I'm not running with a full team I tend to get some of the worst teammates imaginable. Countless games where i get people not contributing to the objective or get pummeled so bad they quit, leaving me and my remaining team at a constant disadvantage. It's insanely frustrating. I'm all for good, intense matches but getting completely run over shouldn't exist if the game was truly able to find people in the same skill range.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

The only reason I wasn't the last of my team was because apparently the rest of these pro players didn't have any idea what the game mode we were playing was
nbtlgDE.png

Killstreaks.

/discussion on "captures"

no need to have captures when your camping from a window with a shotgun or sniper rifle to unlock your choppa.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen any CoD game end in as many time-outs in matches as this one. It's pretty insane.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

We're always on the same page with this shit. Just got into BF5 recently holy hell is it the sweet spot of guns feeling good and the TTK. It's not the whole who sees who first wins ordeal. You actually have a chance to respond like in Apex, or in Halo. You'll be at a disadvantage but it's plenty possible. Love the feel of fights in that.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I think hackney yard is the only map I like playing. Running that on kill confirmed is actually a lot of fun. Gun runner can be fun also

ara

Oct 26, 2017
9-12 on Gun runner
11-8 on Caves

After the first good game, things suddenly got incredibly sweaty again. I'mma take a break.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Spec Ops (missions) are so broken. Die and redeploy, say goodbye to using your ammo/grenades/streaks as the menu select is broken on redeploy. Bad guys literally spawning directly behind you as you and your team make your way toward the next objective (literally 10 feet behind you out of thin air). XP rewards are virtually non existent for how long these take. And the difficulty is laughable.

Everyone should run medic. EVERYONE. It is the only class that matters in this mode.
Everyone should run a shield as their secondary. EVERYONE.
You should have a scorestreak teammate assigned who does not die. Ever. He needs to stay alive tucked away with his shield so he can run around the map and find the cluster bombs, precision airstrikes and cruise missiles to destroy armor and the occasional jug. Again, once you die, you cannot call in streaks (at least on Xbox), armor crates, ammo crates etc...

Tip for the first mission, as dumb as it sounds, before you take out the last scrambler (#5), one or two teammates should make their way back to the safehouse roof at the start. The folks that stay behind should use their shields to stay in the corners near the scramble and trigger it and then let the enemy fire destroy it upon completion. When the
enemy chopper comes in
, the two away can plink at it from the roofs (and get endless ammo for launchers from the saferoom) while ducking inside for cover or just call a cruise missile down on it.

Damn, if it wasnt for the outfits and that last achievement, I would not want to touch this mode. Shame because Spec Ops used to be awesome. This is some last minute tacked on bullshit.

edit: Oh, and the shields can glitch and stop blocking bullets.

Last edited:

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

I think there's some level of SBMM involved--it's not completely blind. I know one of the other COD studios hired a matchmaking designer who worked on SC2's MM system, so I wouldn't be surprised if IW had their own.

My guess is that they have pretty wide skill cohorting, but also prioritize shorter queue times and ping. That's just the most sensible way to do it IMO, and ensures a generally good experience for everyone. A more complex implementation could involve skill stratification, in which they cast a wide skill net, then attempt to grab players from across that spectrum. This would ensure that each game has players who are much better and much worse than each other. It also means that you would have games where you're the worst and you're the best. But this would be much more complicated, so my guess is it's either the former or something like it.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

nbtlgDE.png
It's also funny to me how no one ever tries to defend anything in modes like these.