• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Treyarch games always have more legs than other titles. Black Ops 2 and 3 currently have more players on Xbox than games like Infinite Warfare, Advanced Warfare or Ghosts.
I just started up Ghosts! Got it as a PS4 launch title and picked up the new Modern Warfare on the Bone on the 25th but when I got home I thought, "I only played like one level of Ghosts, I think I'll fire that up". What's wrong with me.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
At level 25 I think i'm done, at least for now. A combination of the terrible maps(most of them), camping, dumb decisions such as footsteps etc all promoting said camping, spawn trapping happening way too often is making what could be the best CoD ever due to the amazing gunplay, weapon modding and graphics extremely unfun for me right now. The dead silence from the devs on most of these issues is a bit concerning as well. Hopefully in a month or two theres been a few patches and its worth coming back.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started up Ghosts! Got it as a PS4 launch title and picked up the new Modern Warfare on the Bone on the 25th but when I got home I thought, "I only played like one level of Ghosts, I think I'll fire that up". What's wrong with me.

It was a rather vanilla COD. Nothing bad, nothing particularly spectacular, main gripe of mine was that it just ignored all the great additions BO2 had (Pick 10, proper theater mode, etc.). I still prestiged a couple times in it, some maps were meh but there were multiple good ones and the gunplay and balance were generally pretty good.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I am enjoying Modern Warfare now. And it's not just rose-tinted glasses, as I said I enjoyed prestiging various times there, I'd be surprised if I even reached level 40 here on the other hand. Hell, Infinite Warfare is a game I dropped after 2 months or so (went back to BO3, far better multiplayer) and I don't see myself going back to it. That game had far better maps and balance compared to Modern Warfare, too, and in fact I prestiged a couple times there as well.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
On a side note, I finally finished the campaign. Those last 2 missions were atrocious: unlimited enemy spawns, endless rocket and grenade spam, enemies seeing you through walls, cheap deaths with enemies one shotting from a hidden spot, and so on. The ending itself was okay, bit of fan service, nothing overly spectacular. Overall it's one of the strongest campaigns the franchise has had in a while for sure, really liked the tighter missions and how impactful the close quarter combat felt. They tackled some interesting themes, although without quite the maturity of stuff like Spec Ops: The Line or the movie Unthinkable. Easily the best part of the game however given how disappointing the multiplayer and coop elements are.

When your talking about last 2 missions are you including the
"Going dark"? the Russian army general villa?

If that's the case I thought it was one of the best levels in the campaign and the ending mission was pretty decent but COD has always had a mediocre final mission compared to the rest of the campaigns. Ghost probably had the best one, I know controversial.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a camper, you might love it. They built camping into the game in a way that has never been seen before. Press a button near cover and it will lock you into place.

If you value moving around the maps and fast paced gameplay that rewards the ability to move, fire, and be creative at the same time, this isn't the game for you. The game is built to punish anyone that wants to actually get around the map quickly and flank the other team.

Every single game of team deathmatch has gone the same way. The guys doing the best are the ones sitting in a window or locked behind some cover and not moving at all. They remain in the same exactly location for the entire game. Some maps let you overcome them by going around, but enough people keep walking out in front of them that it makes no difference. Even when they are killed, they go right back to the same spot.

The dumbest shit I've seen in COD history? I walked up behind a guy, and for some reason my character audibly yelled something and the enemy turned around the blasted me. Why in the living fuck would anyone think that was a good idea? Seriously?

Agreed. Not surprised big name streamers basically reiterate the same thing.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When your talking about last 2 missions are you including the
"Going dark"? the Russian army general villa?

If that's the case I thought it was one of the best levels in the campaign and the ending mission was pretty decent but COD has always had a mediocre final mission compared to the rest of the campaigns. Ghost probably had the best one, I know controversial.

Yeah, that's one of them. It started off well enough, but after a while it just started sending 40 enemies at you with minimal chances of staying hidden, so a lot of trial and error involved because most rooms at that point have 3-4 enemies seeing you, thus stealth is no option anymore. It became a bit frustrating by the end, and the same goes for the last level: instead of making smart challenges they just threw a billion enemies at you, which is never fun, especially in a game like this where TTK is so damn low.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is. Unless you're making a sim you just can't use realism as an excuse for any design choice. Added the tweet to my previous comment by the way

For realism's sake, they also made it that one shot in the leg with a shotgun is an instant kill.
For realism's sake, they also kept in one hit punches/knives kills.
For realism's sake, you have perks regenerating the grenades and claymores in your pocket.

Seems fair that they decide to have smokes shield heat as well, because that's very realistic.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Contemplating picking this up. How good is campaign if I liked Infinite Warefare the best? Is it good gameplay, is there stealth?
It looks absolutely stunning and there are some really amazing moments, some of the best moments involve being stealthy, but it's a much more linear, focused campaign than some of the more recent entries in the series like Infinite Warfare. It's definitely worth a playthrough, but I wouldn't say at full price.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
People bragging in here about their K/D and posting screenshots of them losing while not playing the objectives in objective based modes.
On top of that they're talking shit about camping as though camping led to them winning.

This is like playing a fighting game and bragging that you hit your opponent with a wake up super, but didn't land a hit otherwise and got wrecked. Then complaining about how powerful super moves are.

A day late, but is this your first experience with the Call of Duty MP community ?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My biggest issue I have with MW is having to trudge through poor weapons just to unlock some basic stuff to make them usable haha. Poor FAL, feels like hard work.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
It was a rather vanilla COD. Nothing bad, nothing particularly spectacular, main gripe of mine was that it just ignored all the great additions BO2 had (Pick 10, proper theater mode, etc.). I still prestiged a couple times in it, some maps were meh but there were multiple good ones and the gunplay and balance were generally pretty good.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I am enjoying Modern Warfare now. And it's not just rose-tinted glasses, as I said I enjoyed prestiging various times there, I'd be surprised if I even reached level 40 here on the other hand. Hell, Infinite Warfare is a game I dropped after 2 months or so (went back to BO3, far better multiplayer) and I don't see myself going back to it. That game had far better maps and balance compared to Modern Warfare, too, and in fact I prestiged a couple times there as well.
Hmm, I guess I am in the vast minority here but I play CoD games for the single player campaign. I love them for that, so I'm really only looking into them with that aspect.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so surprised by the general attitude of this thread haha. This is my first time checking the OT since the game launched, and I've really been enjoying it -- seems like most people here aren't.

The engine refresh was sorely needed and I love how it looks, and controls. I def feel like I experience d-sync though despite having under 30ms ping at most times.

The modes have the same flaws they always have in COD, but I do really like the new Cyber Attack. I'd say Ground War def needs some work, but it's cool - def feels like a mix of COD and BF (they need to allow larger than 4 player parties though, makes no sense.) Gunfight is where I'm having the most fun for sure though. It reminds me of what Halo's Breakout mode should've been. It can get SO tense and exciting. Also, being able to talk to your opponents between every round is hilarious and amazing.

Would love to see more maps, and a BR mode. Also Cross-play is HUGE. I'm playing on PC, with people on Xbox One, while using the Windows 10 Xbox Console Companion App for party chat -- works flawlessly.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Yeah, that's one of them. It started off well enough, but after a while it just started sending 40 enemies at you with minimal chances of staying hidden, so a lot of trial and error involved because most rooms at that point have 3-4 enemies seeing you, thus stealth is no option anymore. It became a bit frustrating by the end, and the same goes for the last level: instead of making smart challenges they just threw a billion enemies at you, which is never fun, especially in a game like this where TTK is so damn low.

I guess if I had the same experience you did I would feel the same way but I kept stealth most of the level and if I was spotted I reloaded a checkpoint, which happened twice or so. I understand why you felt the way you did during the last mission because it's very much how you described it but playing on regular I pushed through it but it's not at all different from the past COD campaigns. I probably wont attempt to play it on veteran since it shows the COD singleplayer in a negative light and turns even the best ones into gaming hell.

Oh and the AI is shit, nothing ruins immersion more than enemies who are supposed to be trained soldiers who run right next to you and shoot your character in the face.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
So they added a new mode called Trials:

Once you're in Officer Ranks, you'll earn tickets you can use to compete in Trials. Already in Officer Ranks? You'll get access to tickets you already earned.

• One ticket is needed to take part in a Trial
  • One ticket grants you 3 tries
  • Based on your performance, you'll be given a 1, 2, or 3-star rating
  • Each star rating grants XP rewards:
    • 0 Stars: 0 XP
    • 1 Star: 5000 XP
    • 2 Stars: 7500 XP
    • 3 Stars: 10000 XP

From the in game description:

"Make your way through the course as fast as possible while clearing all enemy targets and avoiding civilian causalities."

Still waiting for Kill Confirmed, though lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Camp of duty at its finest this game is, a very short TTK added with plentiful places to camp equals a shit show, there's no run and gun element to this game.

Another thing I've realised is the game is so camp friendly I haven't actually had a game where maximum score of 75 points were reached, the most we got to was 64-65 point every TDM due to the clock running down, the lowest I've had was 40-45 points.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you guys are kind of in a self-fulfilling prophecy with the "you gotta camp, being aggressive isn't an option" mentality. Most of the games I lose are because most people refuse to press the offensive and actually get on the objectives. I play like a gorilla and am usually on the top of the scoreboard.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Im Hoping CS:Go will become More Like Run and gun.

Even CS 1.6 we're More fast paced than thus MW. Was fun playing on PC Back then

Edith : Dom in Rammza is intense shit. I like.
Edit Edit: Nvm, it became Shit quickly

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Are you supposed to respawn next to flags captured by the enemy? Been a while since I played CoD MP, but that seems a bit cheap.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
For fuck's sake I don't want to fucking play Picadilly I already fucking played that 3 fucking times already.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so surprised by the general attitude of this thread haha. This is my first time checking the OT since the game launched, and I've really been enjoying it -- seems like most people here aren't.

The engine refresh was sorely needed and I love how it looks, and controls. I def feel like I experience d-sync though despite having under 30ms ping at most times.

The modes have the same flaws they always have in COD, but I do really like the new Cyber Attack. I'd say Ground War def needs some work, but it's cool - def feels like a mix of COD and BF (they need to allow larger than 4 player parties though, makes no sense.) Gunfight is where I'm having the most fun for sure though. It reminds me of what Halo's Breakout mode should've been. It can get SO tense and exciting. Also, being able to talk to your opponents between every round is hilarious and amazing.

Would love to see more maps, and a BR mode. Also Cross-play is HUGE. I'm playing on PC, with people on Xbox One, while using the Windows 10 Xbox Console Companion App for party chat -- works flawlessly.

I think the general consensus is people would enjoy the game much more if the maps were better. I have no idea what infinity Ward was thinking making these maps but I shouldn't be surprised considering infinity Wards effort with ghosts and infinite warfare.

People are just frustrated because I don't think they enjoy being unable to walk around unless they want to get shot from every different direction. Add in footsteps as loud as thunder and it's impossible to sneak up on someone that is camping.

It's a shame because they seemed to have put a lot of effort to this game but whatever they did is completely undone by their poor map design making the game an exercise in patience.

Last edited:

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Nice, now the graphics are all bugging out for me randomly if I'm using a thermal scope and the game randomly keeps flashing black/white after I use it unless I look a different way and some textures are messing up.

Can't wait to see what other thing that fucks up in this game next after the countless other issues i've encountered/been having.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Looking at the competitive rule set and list of modes you can't help but wonder if the higher-ups at Infinity Ward genuinely fucking hate the competitive scene. Activision should have waited with franchising for next year.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Obviously the developers are going to make maps they think are good. However they must have known that every single map they created at launch, with all the nooks, windows, doors, higher altitudes and corners was going to lead to camping and punish anyone who wants to rush or play aggressively.

I thought IW said they wanted to accommodate all play styles but clearly when IW made these maps the idea was to have people camp in corners or in windows and heavily discourage moving around.
I think they knew there was going to be camping, but I wonder if they knew how much camping there was going to be.
The biggest problem with internal playtesting is that you're biased to a small sample size. I don't know what IW's testing procedures are like, so I'm spitballing here, but if they had playtesters who don't camp, or their best players were very aggressive, it skews their results dramatically. For modes like Ground War, it gets even harder to test because there's no way they're scraping 64 players together on the regular... much less 20 on a daily basis for 10v10. A lot of companies also tend to be biased when it comes to playtesting etiquette--because you're playing against coworkers, "cheesy" strats can often be informally banned, which leads to a different meta than what you'd find on live where it's no holds barred. They're also likely not testing under "new player" conditions--so they probably have everything unlocked. All-in-all it's a very different environment from live and there's good reason why they wouldn't have exposed what 1 day of live feedback has uncovered.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I havent experienced much camping at all

really feels like some players used to the Black ops game are experiencing shock. Or maybe some have forgotten how cod played last gen

there are some bad maps and the maps arent exactly like cod4/mw2 but i dont think theres a major issue with camping

people make it seem like everyone is hiding in a corner and thats blatantly untrue

i am sprinting all around the map and doing consistently well. Campers are camping in common spots that ive learned.

im enjoying this game a lot. It has flaws that can be fixed for the most part but i really See a lot of players sprinting all over the place

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Controversial opinion but I really like the maps. And the game just feels so good to control and I'm surprised at how well Ground War runs. That needs to b be a staple in every IW COD going forward imo

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
About a week in, and I feel like I'm going to stop playing this game soon for the same reason I stopped playing Ghosts. It has nothing to do with the maps, or the weapons, or the camping or lack thereof, it's the fact that the challenge system in the game is trash. If I remember Ghosts correctly, at launch, you could only go for a handful of challenges, and you had to activate the one(s) you wanted to do. And they rotated on a weekly basis.

It feels like such a silly reason, but I like having the entire suite of challenges at my disposal from the jump.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a camper, you might love it. They built camping into the game in a way that has never been seen before. Press a button near cover and it will lock you into place.

If you value moving around the maps and fast paced gameplay that rewards the ability to move, fire, and be creative at the same time, this isn't the game for you. The game is built to punish anyone that wants to actually get around the map quickly and flank the other team.

Every single game of team deathmatch has gone the same way. The guys doing the best are the ones sitting in a window or locked behind some cover and not moving at all. They remain in the same exactly location for the entire game. Some maps let you overcome them by going around, but enough people keep walking out in front of them that it makes no difference. Even when they are killed, they go right back to the same spot.

The dumbest shit I've seen in COD history? I walked up behind a guy, and for some reason my character audibly yelled something and the enemy turned around the blasted me. Why in the living fuck would anyone think that was a good idea? Seriously?
This is a complete exaggeration

i run and gun just fine. My team wins games and are not camping

acting as if players are just hiding for 10 minutes is Just untrue from my experience

can u show me gameplay of this happening?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

Ok you're exaggerating. You do have to be careful because campers are in the game (like all CoD games) and there are a lot of line of sights, but you can easily be mobile. I know because I play both styles fluidly.

The point about your character screaming shit as you engage is correct and needs to be changed ASAP.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I think they knew there was going to be camping, but I wonder if they knew how much camping there was going to be.
The biggest problem with internal playtesting is that you're biased to a small sample size. I don't know what IW's testing procedures are like, so I'm spitballing here, but if they had playtesters who don't camp, or their best players were very aggressive, it skews their results dramatically. For modes like Ground War, it gets even harder to test because there's no way they're scraping 64 players together on the regular... much less 20 on a daily basis for 10v10. A lot of companies also tend to be biased when it comes to playtesting etiquette--because you're playing against coworkers, "cheesy" strats can often be informally banned, which leads to a different meta than what you'd find on live where it's no holds barred. They're also likely not testing under "new player" conditions--so they probably have everything unlocked. All-in-all it's a very different environment from live and there's good reason why they wouldn't have exposed what 1 day of live feedback has uncovered.

That makes sense what you wrote but when but when you're dealing with the online population they should have known what the outcome was going to be, at least that is what I think.

People want to show off their kills or get that 11 killstreak. IW created maps with corners, higher altitude, doors, windows etc.

What did IW think would happen? The rule of thumb for call of duty games is if there is a map people can camp in they will.

The example I gave earlier was that construction site map. I started in the back where the construction site would be on my right. Now let me preface that I am not great COD player. I have. 1.17 KDR.

I started off 0-10 and 8 or 9 of those deaths were because of the other team simply camping a little past the spawn and killing me when I walked out. No matter which way I went there would be someone there with a mounted gun or a sniper rifle killing me. It was completely absurd and after the 10 death I finally left.

I guess I just have a difficult time believing IW didn't see this coming. Few people run around and the game has turned into find a spot to camp and wait there for some sucker to walk in front of you or peek their head out.

Edit:I just want to say I'm not opposed to maps were you can camo either. I like those once in a while to try to get longshots etc. But when every map is a campers map it's a major problem.

I'd like to say I'm hopeful IW can fix this with some new maps but that's asking a lot considering how was lousy their track record has been.

Last edited: