• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters
Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I am enjoying the game but the more I think about it, the more I believe this game is dealing with a pretty major identity crisis. Speaking about the multiplayer exclusively here.

It wants to be Battlefield and traditional CoD at the same time, and the maps are the biggest indicator of this.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
So thoughts on the MP fellas?
Well reading this thread you would think it's the worse thing to ever happen in video game history, but I'm loving it. I took a break from CoD after Ghosts until Infinite warfare and played that a lot, then took a break after that again and now this is the first time back since that and I am having a great time.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well reading this thread you would think it's the worse thing to ever happen in video game history, but I'm loving it. I took a break from CoD after Ghosts until Infinite warfare and played that a lot, then took a break after that again and now this is the first time back since that and I am having a great time.

Yea I think a-lot of the time people having a bad experience are more likely to post than the ones having a positive experience lol, it's why I asked.

I'm thinking about picking it up, hmmm. I took a huge break after MW2, and I came back for BLOPS 4 which I enjoyed when playing with friends.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I think a-lot of the time people having a bad experience are more likely to post than the ones having a positive experience lol, it's why I asked.

I'm thinking about picking it up, hmmm. I took a huge break after MW2, and I came back for BLOPS 4 which I enjoyed when playing with friends.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration with some of the bugs the game has right now and that is fine to complain about. But I don't have a problem with the maps that some do and I haven't experienced the "camping" problem a lot are complaining about.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone double dipped yet? First time in a while that CoD felt this great. Have it on PC but thinking of getting on PS4 for couch play.
Can't find a way to get your PC on a TV? I've got a 25 ft HDMI cable that runs from my bedroom to the living room specifically so I can play how I want when I want.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just ridiculous games today. Pretty much every single one has had at least one enemy airship and a couple of enemy chopper gunners. What the fuck?

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I haven't even tried the M4 yet, let alone the pre-order suped up version from the preorder. I should probably do that sometime. lol.
The XRK comes with a laser sight that increases ADS speed and a barrel with an integrated suppressor that also increases ADS speed I believe? Pretty significant especially since the ADS speed is one of the bigger changes in this game, and this negates that and makes it way faster to aim than any other weapon at start

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh

M4 just dominates and the SCAR doesn't hold up in most engagements. Has shit range, takes way too long to ADS and fire rate is bad compared to most ARs.
Sucks. Not a fan of how the m4 handles, just doesn't have that Ohpm feel.

What's the verdict of smgs? Using the P90 and loving it but I see alot of people running MP5s.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Meh

M4 just dominates and the SCAR doesn't hold up in most engagements. Has shit range, takes way too long to ADS and fire rate is bad compared to most ARs.

That's a shame to hear. The SCAR was my favourite weapon in MW2. M4 is great in this game though and I have spent a lot of time unlocking camos and shit, so at least it will go far for now.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
So thoughts on the MP fellas?

If you're a camper, you might love it. They built camping into the game in a way that has never been seen before. Press a button near cover and it will lock you into place.

If you value moving around the maps and fast paced gameplay that rewards the ability to move, fire, and be creative at the same time, this isn't the game for you. The game is built to punish anyone that wants to actually get around the map quickly and flank the other team.

Every single game of team deathmatch has gone the same way. The guys doing the best are the ones sitting in a window or locked behind some cover and not moving at all. They remain in the same exactly location for the entire game. Some maps let you overcome them by going around, but enough people keep walking out in front of them that it makes no difference. Even when they are killed, they go right back to the same spot.

The dumbest shit I've seen in COD history? I walked up behind a guy, and for some reason my character audibly yelled something and the enemy turned around the blasted me. Why in the living fuck would anyone think that was a good idea? Seriously?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
You are coming across as saying that you know better than me so you are right. I do not think that is a constructive argument.

Regardless, if their development pipeline is so fucked up in playtesting, that is still a result of their mismanagement and it is still their fault. Now I can actually understand and to some extent accept a lack of data to drive certain decisions. You said developers do not know if a map is good until release and get player reactions. I still maintain that is a bullshit excuse and at best a result of their development processes, as you claim internal playtesting is a failure. You gonna say quality playtesting is beyond their ability? What is the next excuse?

You can block a lot of lines of sight to actually get good positioning.
I do know better than you.

They're not going to make bad maps on purpose. Like I said, internal playtesting is a very different environment from live and it's not a matter of pipeline. No developer in the world has solved the problems inherent to internal playtesting, so the only real solution is to unleash to live and hope for the best (and for a production plan that includes live revision).

But on the original subject, that's why old maps are always going to be safe bets. You can't say "just make good maps" as if they weren't already trying to make good maps.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
2 random questions related to the game...

Elite Controller Drifting XBox One X
Fucking with my controller settings earlier on an XBox One X. I tried both Linear & Dynamic for my Aim Response Curve Type. I have an Elite Controller and have the dedicated Accessories app to fine tune the settings for it. I had a profile I use for FPS's I tried first, tweaked it some. Got it to a pretty good place. I also loaded the default profile in the other slot so I could compare. It did not matter which profile I had active, if I put the Aim Response Curve to Linear or Dynamic, the drift was super noticeable. Putting it to standard makes it better, but it is still there ever so slightly. I honestly feel like if my controller had drift as noticeable as it is on Linear or Dynamic I would have noticed it before. It is pretty fucking bad. So just curious, anyone else seeing massive drift on the XBox using an Elite Controller?

MP XP Tokens

How does one get more of the XP Tokens that you can use in MP? Like the double weapon and double XP ones? Is it with ranking up? Weapon Levels? Just curious.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a camper, you might love it. They built camping into the game in a way that has never been seen before. Press a button near cover and it will lock you into place.

If you value moving around the maps and fast paced gameplay that rewards the ability to move, fire, and be creative at the same time, this isn't the game for you. The game is built to punish anyone that wants to actually get around the map quickly and flank the other team.

Damn :(

Oct 25, 2017
I do know better than you.

They're not going to make bad maps on purpose. Like I said, internal playtesting is a very different environment from live and it's not a matter of pipeline. No developer in the world has solved the problems inherent to internal playtesting, so the only real solution is to unleash to live and hope for the best (and for a production plan that includes live revision).

But on the original subject, that's why old maps are always going to be safe bets. You can't say "just make good maps" as if they weren't already trying to make good maps.

LOL - the ego here... you must be the only one on era who has worked in game design! bow down to you!

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up on my lunch break. I couldn't resist my boy Captain Price.

Can't wait to dig into SP tonight.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Every single game of team deathmatch has gone the same way. The guys doing the best are the ones sitting in a window or locked behind some cover and not moving at all. They remain in the same exactly location for the entire game. Some maps let you overcome them by going around, but enough people keep walking out in front of them that it makes no difference. Even when they are killed, they go right back to the same spot.

The dumbest shit I've seen in COD history? I walked up behind a guy, and for some reason my character audibly yelled something and the enemy turned around the blasted me. Why in the living fuck would anyone think that was a good idea? Seriously?
LMAAAAAOOO

I'm laughing because this is kinda true :'0

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I started camping as if I were a newcomer I tripled my kills and die about 1/4th of the times. This game is made for people who are not able to keep up with Call Of Duty apparently, because it actively discourages people from playing well. I am playing like I did when I first played COD like a decade ago, except with better aim and such, and it's by far the COD where it works best. It seems pretty shortsighted.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I'm near the end of the campaign and can't wait to play the MP. The last FPS that I played online was Killzone 2 (over 700 hours); I was one of the best in the world and the shotty was my weapon of choice. Do I have any chance at all in this when it comes to online play? I like modes such as capture the flag. I'm also 36 with a family so I can't dediacate the time like I used to.

Oct 25, 2017

You character calls out because everyone must shoot a single target to drop them in a reasonable amount of time.

Oct 27, 2017
Every Ground War match is the same. You successfully capture the first point and then walk into a meat grinder for 20 minutes, where you might get two kills at best. I don't think it works at all. You can't plan, nor strategize for anything, because of the killstreaks, snipers from two blocks away, grenade spam, or spawn trapping. It's really bad, in a somewhat comical way, I guess. Not fun to play though.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Every Ground War match is the same. You successfully capture the first point and then walk into a meat grinder for 20 minutes, where you might get two kills at best. I don't think it works at all. You can't plan, nor strategize for anything, because of the killstreaks, snipers from two blocks away, grenade spam, or spawn trapping. It's really bad, in a somewhat comical way, I guess. Not fun to play though.

A lot of people seem to be really enjoying it to my surprise. I personally think the mode is absolutely terrible. It has no flow whatsoever.

It may be cause im an avid BF player. Coming from that to this is just not fun at all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They thought that simply translating the Battlefield ruleset into Call Of Duty works. It doesn't.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people seem to be really enjoying it to my surprise. I personally think the mode is absolutely terrible. It has no flow whatsoever.

It may be cause im an avid BF player. Coming from that to this is just not fun at all.

I am only enjoying it because there is actual action and you can predict which lanes people are gonna be coming from.

But I do agree that it has no flow whatsoever, which is in line with the rest of the games multiplayer.

Oct 27, 2017
They thought that simply translating the Battlefield ruleset into Call Of Duty works. It doesn't.

I mean it is well made. And it's so absurd that I find myself laughing at how stupid it is, but it's impossible for me to go positive, because of how many variables there are happening at once. I live way longer and can hold my own, much better in Battlefield games. Not this.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I mean it is well made. And it's so absurd that I find myself laughing at how stupid it is, but it's impossible for me to go positive, because of how many variables there are happening at once. I live way longer and can hold my own, much better in Battlefield games. Not this.

Its weird cause in BF, people seem more coordinated on working together. In this, no one gives a shit. Even the maps and mode themselves, something feels completely off here. I cant put my finger on it. Its like a giant game of team deathmatch.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play it because there are plenty of targets to kill and it's great for ranking up quickly. I got the HDR from level 1 to level 18 in one round of District.

Also going on 30+ killstreaks with the IFV on Karst is a great way to rank up especially with a 2XP token turned on.

I like Karst more than District because it's less of a sniper's paradise and it's more compact so you don't have to run far to get into gunfights.

I am interested in what, if any, maps they add in the future.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its weird cause in BF, people seem more coordinated on working together. In this, no one gives a shit. Even the maps and mode themselves, something feels completely off here. I cant put my finger on it. Its like a giant game of team deathmatch.
It's a few things.

1. You can't spawn on flags you own that are being contested so you can't really fight to keep them, rather just play musical chairs.

2. No class system removes any and all pretense of teamwork, its everyone for themselves essentially.

3. The TTK is still way too fast for the mode, one person can't clear a flag by themselves like you can in Battlefield because instead of getting injured and moving to cover to recover and keep going you'll die instantly.

4. No destruction let's campers have a field day, so one camps in Battlefield you blow that fucking building up or have a plane come by and bomb them, or use artillery/mortars, or a dozen different things that require teamwork and a longer TTK.