• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
I think I may be the only person who actually likes the Piccadilly map.
I don't mind it, had some fun games on it where I did really good. I haven't gotten to play the game in general as much as I would have wanted yet but I've probably been on that map 3 or 4 times now. I only play Domination and it is one of those maps where B is really tough to get but once you do it's fun to defend.

From what I've played I've really enjoyed the game a lot. I am quite confused at all the negative posts checking this thread sporadically.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, coming across a group of seemingly very coordinated group of enemies, I just realized the game doesn't even have a lone wolves playlist.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
London map impressed me alot, I die all the time paying atention in the ilumination lol...

What is the best settings for gamepad ?

COD MP is really fun, I'm having a blast with this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it, had some fun games on it where I did really good. I haven't gotten to play the game in general as much as I would have wanted yet but I've probably been on that map 3 or 4 times now. I only play Domination and it is one of those maps where B is really tough to get but once you do it's fun to defend.

From what I've played I've really enjoyed the game a lot. I am quite confused at all the negative posts checking this thread sporadically.
I'm having a pretty good time with it too. I like the different pace compared to, say, Black Ops 4. The need to play much more carefully is actually reminding me a lot of the Wii version of the original Modern Warfare, weirdly enough. In a good way.

The bridge map sort of sucks sometimes, but otherwise, I don't have much of a problem with the maps so far.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I said the same a few pages back. The claim that the game punished offense is not true, it just demands that offense be more then sprinting around corners and bunny hopping. It's a slower paced game that demands you check your corners and move with your head on a swivel, but you still rush and what not. I have really warmed up to most of the maps thus far.
Spawns rarely changing is what is making this hard. I want my team to spawn at another position and not be stuck in the same corner where we're slowly getting pushed further back for 10 minutes. I can't learn the map when I have nowhere to go.

Last edited:

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
This would be my semi Run and Gun class so far:

gg92cVy.jpg

Perks
  • E.O.D. (Obligatory to avoid claymore deaths, you still get heavily hurt if the enemy has the Shrapnel perk)
  • Killchain (A must if you want high tier killstreaks) or Ghost
  • Battle Hardened
Equipment
  • Claymore (It's currrently OP as hell so why not)
  • Stim
Killstreaks (This depends on your preference, I'd personally like to pilot killstreaks since it adds more fun)
  • Cruise Missile (5 kills) - Guaranted to get you at least an extra kill most of the time, plus you get rid of the pesky campers.
  • VTOL Jet (8 kills) - Good ol classic harrier, it's airstrike blase is quite big and the second plane that hovers is really aggressive.
  • Gunship (12 Kills) - A Favorite of mine, give them hell.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Few thoughts on balancing:

- Snapshot Grenade should be a primary grenade so you can combo Smoke & Snapshot to root out campers, especially in buildings.
- Carbines need buffing massively, especially the first 2 - they are only effective with next to zero latency and with stopping power
- Increase damage of gas grenade and/or make it synergise with molotovs
- Most of the best weapons are the 2nd or 3rd unlocks in their category. (I guess this is a good thing the more look at it)
- I actually think SMGs and LMGs are tuned pretty well, also slow down the quickscoping by a few milliseconds and Sniper Rifles will be fine too.
- Some spawn points need looking at, particularly in Piccadilly and the one with the bridge

Other thoughts:
- Ground War is terrible. Don't even need to explain why.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Spawns rarely changing is what is making this hard. I want my team to spawn at another position and not be stuck in the same corner where we're slowly getting pushed further back for 10 minutes. I can't learn the map when I have no where to go.
Yep I agree this where the issues are. The spawns take too long to shift or don't shift at all. They need multiple spawn points.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but good god are the spec ops Operations ridiculously hard. I don't get why there isn't a difficulty option for them. Enemies infinitely respawning and being able to down you in a few shots while you have to keep defending or holding a point almost all the time in almost all of the scenarios (only attempted the first 2 so far). I really hope they patch it, because it is not fun especially after randos quit after playing for an hr with no checkpoints as well.

Outside of that, i'm enjoying the multiplayer and thought the Campaign was delightful, but please for the love of god fix spec ops.
How do I even get the spec ops operations? The only missions i'm getting are the endless wave options.

Oct 25, 2017
These might be the worst maps in Call if Duty history

if IW wants avoid further blowback from the community they better start pumping out remastered COD4/MW2 maps for free and soon
At the very least throw out scrapyard in the next few days, its already made and sitting in Spec-Ops.

port some MWR maps over if that is easier than remaking them.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Haven´t had much trouble with windowsnipers and campers, i do prefer the M14, that shreds people in two-three hits anyways from any range.
And i´m in the clear minority that really likes the Bridge map :D

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Defenders always have situational advantage; when I say "offense should always trump defense", I'm speaking purely on mechanical terms--though it's not a terrible philosophy to have when approaching the problem holistically as well--especially in eSports. Attackers winning will always be more exciting than defenders winning. Games like R6S give offense increased firepower and utility to make up for this difference; CS has plenty of utility options as well as high movement speed.

MW gives defenders mechanical advantage (long ADS times, low TTK, low strafe speed), situational advantage (sound, light conditions, less angles to cover), and utility advantage (mines, Claymores, perks to place more and recharge them). It's the holy trinity of camper design, and it's awful.

They should just force Tac Laser on everyone so you can't preaim without being seen :D

...okay, that might be a bit extreme, but you know. I do think there are some balance tweaks/overhauls they could make to lessen the issue.

-Spawning with more special grenades. CoD4, MW2, MW3, and Blops 1 all gave the player multiple special grenades off spawn (with CoD4 allowing three with a starting perk in a tier without much competition), and Blops 2 and Blops 3 allowed multiple special grenades on a class without using a wildcard. Having multiple flashes/stuns/snapshots per life would make it easier to check rooms and lanes while roaming the map. Why is this not a thing anymore?

-Alternatively, special grenades could inherently recharge over time. The Resupply perk could then either speed this process up, or possibly be removed from the game due to issues with restocking lethal equipment such as claymores. If Resupply was removed, Munitions Box would then be a forced pick for defensive players who want more frequent access to claymores, which would then make Tune Up a more competitive defensive perk for Perk 3.

-Dead Silence could be a Perk 2 instead of a field upgrade. This would force a pick between DS and Ghost, and also further encourage shooting down UAVs for DS players. As it stands, Ghost blows away the competition in Perk 2. This would allow UAVs to more easily flush out campers using DS, while Ghost players could always be heard via footsteps. DS in Perk 3 would also work if we're okay with players having full stealth, and shouldn't benefit defensive players tremendously well since they would be sacrificing Shrapnel/Battle Hardened/Tune Up for it.

-Claymores should be temporarily disabled when hit with a flash or stun. Didn't a previous CoD do this? Their fuse time should also be increased to CoD4/MW2 speed to allow for safely baiting them.

-Claymores could also be limited to only one being able to be placed by a player at a time. Simple fix that would make assaulting buildings much easier.

IDK, just some thoughts.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
I'm gonna deliver a hot take and say I think most of the maps are good. Sure, not the spawn camping issues like the bridge map, but I think they just require a change of how most recent faster COD's played. As you learn them, like in the olden days, you start to know where danger is likely to come from, you learn what paths you should go down depending on your class, and moving with at least one other person really helps cover areas. Much like someones first taste of whiskey, you might not like them, and indeed each one is not for everyone. I implore you though, give it some time, stop sprinting except to cross open streets ( I mean it, like play a match without sprinting at all, and I bet you do way better), slice the pie when you clear doorways and check those corners, and you might find that they aren't all terrible.
agree with this and also personally I enjoy learning weird maps more than 3 lane maps that usually have a similar dynamic

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Michael Myers loadout, riotshield+knife :D so much fun running like a madman stabbing people and being impervious to bullets from behind. Happy halloween!

also for complaints about claymores, equip the explosives armor perk if you are afraid of them. You won´t die from a single hit then.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love the Michael Myers loadout, riotshield+knife :D so much fun running like a madman stabbing people and being impervious to bullets from behind. Happy halloween!

also for complaints about claymores, equip the explosives armor perk if you are afraid of them. You won´t die from a single hit then.

I would argue that EOD is easily top pick in Perk 1 due to the prevalence of claymores. I've never played a CoD where I felt that the Flak Jacket-equivalent perk was so necessary for everything but the most defensive of playstyles.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead silence needs to be a perk and foot steps in general are way to loud.

I played a bit more last night and I was enjoying it a bit more since now you can stick to 6v6 game modes.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that EOD is easily top pick in Perk 1 due to the prevalence of claymores. I've never played a CoD where I felt that the Flak Jacket-equivalent perk was so necessary for everything but the most defensive of playstyles.

yup, EOD or Overkill if you know to watch out for them. Spotter of course also helps avoiding them in Slot 3.
Ghost in slot 2
Shrapnel in slot 3 (for 2 claymores to plant yourself! ;D)

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Anyone else getting this really awful periodic slowdown on the menus that drags the whole game down to almost a stop? It's so annoying. The matches and gameplay itself runs fine.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i guess the main side effect of getting rid of the typical 3 lane maps is that these designs encourage more camping with players. which is unfortunate cause i actually dont' really have a problem with the maps themselves, i do have a problem with how the community is playing on them though.

Oct 26, 2017
I said the same a few pages back. The claim that the game punished offense is not true, it just demands that offense be more then sprinting around corners and bunny hopping. It's a slower paced game that demands you check your corners and move with your head on a swivel, but you still rush and what not. I have really warmed up to most of the maps thus far.
Yeah. I watch teammates get gunned down in front of me all the time because they have to sprint 24/7, even when going around corners. The moment you're about to step into a spot with new LoS on you, slow down and move slowly into position with your gun drawn and ready. I've won a decent amount of engagements even against folks waiting for me to come around a corner.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
My take thus far (~20 hours of multiplayer, only started campaign, waiting to see if cutscenes are fixed on PC):

Pros:
-Best COD gameplay thus far. Weapons feel amazing, weapon feedback, hit feedback, movement, everything just feels good. One of the best feeling shooters ever made.

-Same thing with visuals on PC. Top notch stuff...smoke gives me frame drops though, like if I'm trying to look over a smoking car. Audio is also incredible. The higher focus on footsteps is welcome, but it's still not up to par with Battlegrounds on that front.

-Best weapon customization in a COD ever. You can completely change the way weapons feel. The number of scopes is insane. Losing capabilities while gaining others on the gear is also great. You stack too much of one thing and you're going to lose out on something else, makes sense.

-Realism is an amazing addition. It's just raw COD.

Neutral:
-Map quality is hit or miss. Too cluttered, too many hiding spots. With that said, it does feel more like older COD's where the maps feel a little more "natural" or designed to feel undesigned, if that makes sense.

-The camping issue is legitimate, but if you play back with teammates it will help considerably. Seriously, don't just run in immediately in this game, you'll get killed over and over again unless you're just ridiculously good like shroud. They almost got it right I think, based on the assumption that they were going for a more tactical/strategic game. But they went a little to far in the opposite way, where older CODs were complete rush fests and this one you have to take it super slow and get your bearings straight before flaking and such.

-TTK (Time to kill). It's really fucking fast and I usually hate that, but I think it's fairly balanced considering. As far as I know this is the first COD where recoil is a real concern, and if you want to get rid of it you have to compromise something else. Recoil makes fast TTK more understandable since the weapons aren't all lasers. I've been saying this forever, and how this is why short ttk works in Counterstrike but not in COD. It almost works in this one, but I still think it's slightly too fast.

Cons:
-Maps are spread thin. I know Activision is trying to give us lots of shit to do, but in my opinion 6v6 is still where COD shines. They lost focus on that, and that was core COD. There are what, four 6v6 TDM maps on launch? That's inexcusable. And the 10v10 maps are a damn mess. Add a +1 to the killstreaks or something, there is too much bullshit happening there. Too many sightlines, too many perch spots and open areas, it takes too long to get back into the action. Only 4 more players per team wiith 10v10 but the maps are 5 times bigger. Haven't played Ground War yet so I can't judge on that.

-This is just a personal thing, but get rid of prone. It's the most abused mechanic in the game imo.

Maps are my main issue with the game, but it's a big issue that holds it back from being the best COD ever made. Hopefully the coming maps are better. Writing this I'm surprised how few cons I have. Yeah I get frustrated playing the game when I do bad, but it's often when I'm not focused and just sprinting in. The game really requires you to be deliberate with your actions. If you're frustrated, take a break and come back, it always helps me.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I only played a few hours across the weekend and today and I have to say I'm impressed. I haven't dabbled in COD since Advanced Warfare, and before that, maybe..black ops 2? So maybe I am less jaded than other players, but the MP gets a thumbs up from me.

For better or worse It really does play like COD4. Or how I remember it at least. I really like how much slower it is and the matches Ive played it seems everyone is taking things much slower and thinking about what they are doing. That might change when things become second nature but so far so good. Yet to play all the maps. The cave map, Hackney yard and Picadilly come up often and they all work well on TDM and Domination. Picadilly Is great on Dom. Played a few of the others as well but not enough to form an opinion on them.

Played one round of Ground War and for me it doesn't really work. It is brutal. Will try it some more but coming up against Tanks etc is not fun. Don't know whether there are tools etc to tackle them other than what you are equipped with, but it kind of puts in to perspective how we all take Battlefield for granted when its taken decades of development to get it where it is today.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
To be honest this was easily one often best campaigns I have ever played.
Dice should take many notes from it.
I'm also enjoying the MP quite a lot, and that surprises me.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Heh just noticed the perk that changes kill streak to score streak...

I thought it just does that automatically and no perk is needed? Like if you play domination you have a Scorestreak and if you play Deathmatch you have a kill streak? Would make much more sense to me at least.
How do I even get the spec ops operations? The only missions i'm getting are the endless wave options.
I completed the campaign first and four of them were unlocked already when i went to spec ops. I'm assuming you have to complete the story first as they do actually tie together (spec ops takes place after the single player campaign canon wise). I think there's a fifth one after you complete the previous 4 it seems like. (For Xbox One at least), you also have to download free dlc for spec ops also so i'm assuming it's the same for PS4. Pretty sure it's one of those i'd assume that's the culprit.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
does anyone else have the "green square" on your weapons tab but I see that I've already looked at everything unlocked...it doesn't go away?

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
I completed the campaign first and four of them were unlocked already when i went to spec ops. I'm assuming you have to complete the story first as they do actually tie together (spec ops takes place after the single player campaign canon wise). I think there's a fifth one after you complete the previous 4 it seems like. (For Xbox One at least), you also have to download free dlc for spec ops also so i'm assuming it's the same for PS4. Pretty sure it's one of those i'd assume that's the culprit.
I'm gonna say it's due to me not playing the SP yet. Thanks, I was really confused and left with a "that's it?" when I went to spec-ops to only see 4 poorly made endless wave options.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does anyone else have the "green square" on your weapons tab but I see that I've already looked at everything unlocked...it doesn't go away?

This is because you have unlocked attachments for guns that you haven't actually unlocked yet, most likely via Gunfight. There's nothing you can do to make it go away until you unlock the guns and view the attachments, unfortunately.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I have unlocks for the Desert Eagle which means that it's gonna be another 15 levels until I can get rid of the green square lol

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
oh my god STOP INSTALLING SHADERS it takes like 15 minutes every time i boot up the game

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Yeah. I watch teammates get gunned down in front of me all the time because they have to sprint 24/7, even when going around corners. The moment you're about to step into a spot with new LoS on you, slow down and move slowly into position with your gun drawn and ready. I've won a decent amount of engagements even against folks waiting for me to come around a corner.
Absolutely. I have won lots of engagements approaching corners cautiously when suddenly a bunny hopper comes flying around the corner too. Slow, ads, use the Mounting system. I love the momentum of the maps and the games for this reason

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
My take thus far (~20 hours of multiplayer, only started campaign, waiting to see if cutscenes are fixed on PC):

Pros:
-Best COD gameplay thus far. Weapons feel amazing, weapon feedback, hit feedback, movement, everything just feels good. One of the best feeling shooters ever made.

-Same thing with visuals on PC. Top notch stuff...smoke gives me frame drops though, like if I'm trying to look over a smoking car. Audio is also incredible. The higher focus on footsteps is welcome, but it's still not up to par with Battlegrounds on that front.

-Best weapon customization in a COD ever. You can completely change the way weapons feel. The number of scopes is insane. Losing capabilities while gaining others on the gear is also great. You stack too much of one thing and you're going to lose out on something else, makes sense.

Neutral:
-Map quality is hit or miss. Too cluttered, too many hiding spots. With that said, it does feel more like older COD's where the maps feel a little more "natural" or designed to feel undesigned, if that makes sense.

-The camping issue is legitimate, but if you play back with teammates it will help considerably. Seriously, don't just run in immediately in this game, you'll get killed over and over again unless you're just ridiculously good like shroud. They almost got it right I think, based on the assumption that they were going for a more tactical/strategic game. But they went a little to far in the opposite way, where older CODs were complete rush fests and this one you have to take it super slow and get your bearings straight before flaking and such.

-TTK (Time to kill). It's really fucking fast and I usually hate that, but I think it's fairly balanced considering. As far as I know this is the first COD where recoil is a real concern, and if you want to get rid of it you have to compromise something else. Recoil makes fast TTK more understandable since the weapons aren't all lasers. I've been saying this forever, and how this is why short ttk works in Counterstrike but not in COD. It almost works in this one, but I still think it's slightly too fast.

Cons:
-Maps are spread thin. I know Activision is trying to give us lots of shit to do, but in my opinion 6v6 is still where COD shines. They lost focus on that, and that was core COD. There are what, four 6v6 TDM maps on launch? That's inexcusable. And the 10v10 maps are a damn mess. Add a +1 to the killstreaks or something, there is too much bullshit happening there. Too many sightlines, too many perch spots and open areas, it takes too long to get back into the action. Only 4 more players per team wiith 10v10 but the maps are 5 times bigger. Haven't played Ground War yet so I can't judge on that.

-This is just a personal thing, but get rid of prone. It's the most abused mechanic in the game imo.

Maps are my main issue with the game, but it's a big issue that holds it back from being the best COD ever made. Hopefully the coming maps are better. Writing this I'm surprised how few cons I have. Yeah I get frustrated playing the game when I do bad, but it's often when I'm not focused and just sprinting in. The game really requires you to be deliberate with your actions. If you're frustrated, take a break and come back, it always helps me.
Nice writeup. I'm not sure I know what you mean by having an issue with Prone. How is it abused? I had more issues during the beta of people doing jumping drop shots where they could go from jumping to prone in a split second but I haven't seen that yet in the released game.

Some neutral thoughts of mine:
The time between matches is actually too quick. I don't have time to look at my new unlocks and edit my loadouts and also see progress on missions/barracks stuff so I end up backing out after each match and then finding a new lobby when I'm ready. The unforseen side effect this has is I usually join a match in progress and that usually means I'm joining the losing side because someone didn't like losing so they left the match. The weird analytical effect this has is losing a match you joined in progress does not count as a loss. I think my win/loss stat was like 15-0, lol.

Also, the lobby bug of making my PS4 Pro go into jet engine mode was back from the beta. I thought they had fixed this during the beta during one of the updates.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More days in, this is honestly the least balanced, most ridiculous Call Of Duty multiplayer of the decade, possibly ever. What the game is finds all that in complete odds with what the game wants to be. The realistic map design with a billion hiding spots is just a pain in the ass with the low TTK and the loud footsteps. All the tactical options go out the window when maps are like these and everyone dies with two bullets. Campers are not punished at all, and killstreaks being OP again means they are very much rewarded for defending their streak as opposed to playing the objective or trying to break the enemy's camping. Because when a team starts camping in a favourable spot, good luck taking it away with all the sniping spots, the killstreak spam (even on big maps - horrible idea) and so on. Call Of Duty also slowly rolled out the traps like claymores and tripmines, here you can spam them like crazy for cheap kills again. And then let's further help inactive playstyles by making minimaps useless too!

The idea of making shooting and movement closer to Siege is admirable, but it makes 0 sense in basically all modes bar S&D and the new hacker thingy (can't for my life remember its name, doesn't help I don't play it in English). None of these "innovations" make the slightest sense in giant maps with a billion camping spots, because you just run around like a headless chicken trying to get lucky with people not listening to footsteps, because if they are they can just stop and wait for you to turn the corner. Or snipe you, because half the maps also allow insane spawntraps (the map with the bridge may be the worst COD map I have ever played). It simply gives no satisfaction. If I get 5 kills with 10 bullets I just know those people could not do shit because I saw them first (or because the lag comp was on my side), if I die to 2 bullets I know that I couldn't do anything about it. Skills, strategy, balance, a decade of evolution for the franchise and the genre, gone out the window.

And the game mode filter is simply hilarious. Not only it's broken, but the fact IW is having to throw out basically all new modes (night mode, big TDM, etc.) into separate playlists shows how shortsighted these decisions were. The majority of the community hates most of the game's new ideas, and now they're trying to see what can be saved. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible because it's still COD, which means it's still a shooter that does a lot of things right. But I have no interest in unlearning how to play Call Of Duty to git gud when IW seems to be on course to revert half of these horrible design choices in the next weeks (nothing tthey can do about the maps for now). Too bad because the movement, the animations and the visuals feel legitimately awesome, plus the campaign is one of the best ones in the franchise: a bit too linear but very tense.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Between the camping and the GOD AWFUL latency, I'm just about done with this.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
This is because you have unlocked attachments for guns that you haven't actually unlocked yet, most likely via Gunfight. There's nothing you can do to make it go away until you unlock the guns and view the attachments, unfortunately.

that's annoying. haven't played gunfight yet though but used the standard layout guns until i could make my own...it's probably one of those from the default classes.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

Pros:

Neutral:

Cons:

This is a really good analysis that I mostly agree with (barring PC items, I'm playing on XB1X).

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in only to say that the bridge map is possibly legitimately the worst MP map I have played in 20+ years of playing multiplayer games. Like, holy shit I want to talk to every single person that was involved on any level of saying "yeah this is good to go" and have them help me understand what's wrong with them, because they obviously need a friend.